Does anyone know what will replace hot glass show on solstice please??

portcbob

Hi fellow celebrity cruisers.

Does anyone have knowledge of what will replace the hot glass show and when this will occur on the celebrity solstice.

Regards Bob.:)

Have not seen any announcements, but they may well do the same as they have on the Equinox - offer for fee glass blowing classes. Although, the company running the classes is based in FL so they may or may not want to run them on the Solstice.

The former Corning Hot Glass studio has been taken over by Hollywood Hot Glass. So it is still a hot glass operation. The big change is that now they are offering passengers (for a fee) the opportunity to participate and make a item. The Solstice deck plan has been updated to reflect Hollywood Hot Glass.

We were on the Solstice in Australia and I enjoyed watching it. We are going on the Eclipse in Aug and I was wondering if they have classes there or if the glass blowing has been discontinued. I don't seem to be able to find any current info on the Eclipse. Thanks

The Corning Hot Glass was on the Eclipse and the deck plan & website show thst space as Hollywood Hot Glass. DH has blown glass off and on for years so is looking forward to doing some again. We have 3 Eclipse & 1 Equinox Cruises booked - guess where our OBC will be spent:rolleyes:

On the Solstice - who runs the Hollywood Glass Show? Is it independent contractors? Just curious if anyone knows any details - I'm looking forward to seeing it in August!

Hollywood Hot Glass took over from Corning. They are a Hot Glass operation based in S Florida. I would think they have a contract with Celebrity just as the Spa or Shops do.

The Corning Hot Glass was on the Eclipse and the deck plan & website show thst space as Hollywood Hot Glass. DH has blown glass off and on for years so is looking forward to doing some again. We have 3 Eclipse & 1 Equinox Cruises booked - guess where our OBC will be spent:rolleyes:

Do you know what the costs are to participate?

Given the philosophy that currently rules Celebrity you can be certain that any replacement will involve passengers having to pay money. Celebrity is now about maximizing onboard revenue. We have long wondered when Celebrity will start charging a fee to use the elevators :(.

Hank

I did it on Eclipse last month. It was fun and I made a flower sculpture that cost around $50. They were also kind enough to engrave the date on the bottom - a very nice souvenir.

Hot Glass Class

Transform shapeless blobs of molten glass into beautiful artwork and functional tableware. Glassblowing, pioneered during the early Roman Empire, exploits the strong chemical bonds and unusual viscous structure of hot glass.

Now you can learn glassblowing techniques on your next modern luxury cruise vacation. Start your discovery with a mesmerizing hot-glass show on the first day of your sailing.

Then sign up for your 20-minute Hot Glass Class, offered several times during the cruise. Adults and kids are welcome. Just be at least 8 years old-3 if you bring your adult.

You'll work with an instructor in the studio to create your very own sparkling piece, included in the class fee. Choose the colors, then choose from eight enchanting designs that you can make (sizes are approximate):

Flower (5x10 in. / 13x25 cm) Heart (3x5x2 in. / 9x13x5 cm Ornament (3x5 in. / 9x13 cm) Paperweight (3x4 in. / 8x10 cm) Ruffle Bowl (10x7 in. / 25x18 cm) Starfish (6x2 in. / 15x5 cm) Tumbler (3x5 in. / 9x13 cm) Wave Vase (3x12 in. / 8x30 cm) When your masterpiece has cooled-which takes a while-we'll wrap it in protective bubbles, ready for your suitcase. Every time you see it, you'll smile and remember your Hot Glass Class on board Celebrity EquinoxSM and Celebrity Eclipse®

Hot Glass Class

Transform shapeless blobs of molten glass into beautiful artwork and functional tableware. Glassblowing, pioneered during the early Roman Empire, exploits the strong chemical bonds and unusual viscous structure of hot glass.

Now you can learn glassblowing techniques on your next modern luxury cruise vacation. Start your discovery with a mesmerizing hot-glass show on the first day of your sailing.

Then sign up for your 20-minute Hot Glass Class, offered several times during the cruise. Adults and kids are welcome. Just be at least 8 years old-3 if you bring your adult.

You'll work with an instructor in the studio to create your very own sparkling piece, included in the class fee. Choose the colors, then choose from eight enchanting designs that you can make (sizes are approximate):

Flower (5x10 in. / 13x25 cm) Heart (3x5x2 in. / 9x13x5 cm Ornament (3x5 in. / 9x13 cm) Paperweight (3x4 in. / 8x10 cm) Ruffle Bowl (10x7 in. / 25x18 cm) Starfish (6x2 in. / 15x5 cm) Tumbler (3x5 in. / 9x13 cm) Wave Vase (3x12 in. / 8x30 cm) When your masterpiece has cooled-which takes a while-we'll wrap it in protective bubbles, ready for your suitcase. Every time you see it, you'll smile and remember your Hot Glass Class on board Celebrity EquinoxSM and Celebrity Eclipse®

Did I miss it or are no prices quoted :confused:? After reading mek’s post above, it appears the cost for the first item on your list is a flower at $50.

Did I miss it or are no prices quoted :confused:? After reading mek’s post above, it appears the cost for the first item on your list is a flower at $50.

When we were on the Equinox last month, the prices ranged from $40-$100, depending on the item you decided to make.

Hollywood Hot Glass - the company is run by Brenna Baker Brown - a glass artist who was featured on many of the Celebrity cruises as a contractor for Corning. She started Hollywood Hot Glass and her company has grown and has taken on the work on the Celebrity cruises.

Check out the Celebrity tab on their web site for more info (including prices)

https://www.hollywoodhotglass.com/celebrity-cruises.html

Hollywood Hot Glass - the company is run by Brenna Baker Brown - a glass artist who was featured on many of the Celebrity cruises as a contractor for Corning. She started Hollywood Hot Glass and her company has grown and has taken on the work on the Celebrity cruises.

Nice! Thank you for the information and the link! Is this available only on Equinox, though? I'm not seeing any class offerings on Solstice...

Thanks for link ;).

Nice! Thank you for the information and the link! Is this available only on Equinox, though? I'm not seeing any class offerings on Solstice...

This from the link:

The new experience will be featured on three ships in the Celebrity fleet and will launch on Celebrity Equinox beginning February 17, 2018, while Celebrity Eclipse will begin offering the program on April 1, 2018, and Celebrity Solstice on June 15, 2018.’

We have been on Eclipse since May 10 and were very disappointed to see the Corning professionals replaced with the pay to play venue. What we saw was about $150 for a 20 min session to make what amounted to a paper weight.

No comparison to the works of art created by the Corning staff.

We have been on all the Soltice ships with the glass show and it was always our favorite show. We didn’t spend more than 15 min checking out Hollywood Glass to see that it was nothing more than a money maker for Celebrity and nothing like the show we were accustomed to with Corning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Equinox my daughter & her boyfriend did the Hollywood glass blowing - BIG disappointment. The Corning glass blowers were real professionals that were trained, many at University, & practiced for years - - this was real rookie - not even close. They had done one class back in their home town & enjoyed it but this..... Anything to make an extra buck!!

We were on Equinox in April and I did the vase. I was very disappointed with the color as I specifically stated what color I wanted it to be. Although it was a nice experience, I thought it was pricey(around 100) and a waste of money! After picking it up the next day, I did not even want to take it home! They have a schedule to follow and they are probably trying to get as many done as possible in the time they have allocated for every cruise. Would never do it again. I thought it would be a neat souvenir, but it turned out ugly so will not be displaying it!!

My wife was a huge fan of the Hot Glass Show, and it was the primary reason we booked an Equinox cruise for earlier this month. Unlike the prior show where she spent hours and hours watching, she spent a grand total of about 30 minutes watching this new pay-to-play version. I never saw more than a handful of people there, and most of the time I passed by, the instructors were just standing around all by themselves. My bet is that it becomes another Lawn Club Grill within a year.

My wife was a huge fan of the Hot Glass Show, and it was the primary reason we booked an Equinox cruise for earlier this month. Unlike the prior show where she spent hours and hours watching, she spent a grand total of about 30 minutes watching this new pay-to-play version. I never saw more than a handful of people there, and most of the time I passed by, the instructors were just standing around all by themselves. My bet is that it becomes another Lawn Club Grill within a year.

My thoughts exactly.