Parents First Cruise from Pier 91 in Seattle - Check in Process?

OklaBella

My parents are first time cruisers on the Ruby Princess departing from Pier 91 in Seattle on 6/2. Can someone help me in telling them what to expect as far as arriving, security, check-in, etc.? Here are some specific questions I have:

- 24hrs prior to the cruise do they need to check-in on the Princess website? On the 'Check In' Tab of their destination everything is marked "complete" except for the optional items.

- Where on the pier should they ask the Uber driver to drop them off?

- They will only have one roller bag each. Will they take their bag with them through the check-in process or are they required to leave it in a certain area while they check in?

-Once they arrive in the terminal, where do they go to begin the process and what are the steps involved in checking in?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

There is no 24 hour advance check in. They can check in any time from 75 days in advance and print their boarding passes and luggage tags.

The only thing they need to tell the Uber driver is which ship they are on.

When you say "one roller bag," is this a carry on size bag or a bag that they will check in for delivery to their cabin? If a check in sized bag, they will be met at the curb and check it in on arrival at the pier. If a carry on bag, they will keep it with them throughout the process. Security is just like at an airport.--bag on the scanner, you walk thru the metal detector.

Once they are thru security, there are signs directing them to the check in counters. They will present their boarding pass and their passports or other travel documents and will be issued their cruise cards. Depending on the time and the status of boarding, they will either be directed to the gangway to board the ship or to a waiting area to sit and wait until it is time to board. They will be told whether cabins are ready or what time they are expected to be ready. Don't believe this. We were told they would not be ready till 1 or 1:30, but we went to our cabin to see if we could drop our carry ons. The cabin was totally ready for us.

FWIW, it took us less than 15 minutes from drop off at the curb till we were on the ship.

My parents are first time cruisers on the Ruby Princess departing from Pier 91 in Seattle on 6/2. Can someone help me in telling them what to expect as far as arriving, security, check-in, etc.? Here are some specific questions I have:

- 24hrs prior to the cruise do they need to check-in on the Princess website? On the 'Check In' Tab of their destination everything is marked "complete" except for the optional items.

It's not like an airline. They need to go to the cruise personlizer today, it's not too late, and enter all of their immigration information including, passport, credit or debit card, emergency and other. Just a note the names on the passports must match exactly to the names entered in the immigration information. After they do that they can print their boarding passes and luggage tags.

Pier 91 there will be an obvious drop off area for taxis.

- They will only have one roller bag each. Will they take their bag with them through the check-in process or are they required to leave it in a certain area while they check in?

Luggage has to go through a scanner just like at the airport. If their luggage fits through they can bring it on if they want to. Most passengers check large luggage bags and just walk on with a carry on.

-Once they arrive in the terminal, where do they go to begin the process and what are the steps involved in checking in?

Once you arrive at the terminal there will be guides to show you to the check in desks and then show you to the waiting area.

See above

-Sounds like they are all checked in. Have they printed their boarding passes & luggage tags? They would do that in the same area where you checked that everything was completed.

- Uber driver or Princess personnel will direct them.

-Carry on bags go thru a screening machine that is the size of the ones that check your carry on luggage at the airport. If their bags are too big for these scanners, they will have to check them. If so, they will be delivered to their room in a few hours.

-There will be personnel their directing them thru the process. Check in usually begins about 11 or 11:30 and boarding about noon. The basic process is pretty simple and Princess will have people along to way to direct every one.

---They will check in. Here their boarding passes will be collect and they will be given their Princess Cruise Card. This card will serve several purposes. It will be the ID card for getting on and off the ship. It will be your cabin key. It will be the charge card for any on board purchases.

---Next will be security. Any carry on items will be scanned.

---Boarding. They will be led up the gangway and onto the ship. At the top of the gangway will be security personnel. They will take your parents pictures and connect it to their cruise cards. The card can then be read each time they get off or on the ship to insure their identity.

- 24hrs prior to the cruise do they need to check-in on the Princess website? On the 'Check In' Tab of their destination everything is marked "complete" except for the optional items. They are good to go when marked complete.

There should be plenty of signage to help with where to drop off.

- They will only have one roller bag each. Will they take their bag with them through the check-in process or are they required to leave it in a certain area while they check in? They will keep their stuff with them like when going through security at an airport and having only carry on luggage.

-Once they arrive in the terminal, where do they go to begin the process and what are the steps involved in checking in? Again, plenty of signs will be posted and employees to help guide.

Hope they enjoy!

Encourage them to put everything they will not need before getting ready for dinner the first night into their luggage and hand it to a porter (with a tip) when they get out of the Uber.

Odds are they will be standing in lines or waiting in chairs for some time before getting aboard the ship and it's much more pleasant to do that without having to drag a rolly bag. A tote bag for the ladies and a small backpack for the men should be quite adequate. Princess is very efficient getting checked luggage to your room and it will likely be there before they get there so why not let the porters schlep the luggage.

Encourage them to put everything they will not need before getting ready for dinner the first night into their luggage and hand it to a porter (with a tip) when they get out of the Uber.

Odds are they will be standing in lines or waiting in chairs for some time before getting aboard the ship and it's much more pleasant to do that without having to drag a rolly bag. A tote bag for the ladies and a small backpack for the men should be quite adequate. Princess is very efficient getting checked luggage to your room and it will likely be there before they get there so why not let the porters schlep the luggage.

I agree that the less carry on luggage you can have, the better. BUT remember to keep any medications, medical supplies, and valuables in the carry on luggage, whether that is a tiny tote or a large bag.

We were on the Ruby last year from Seattle. They made the Uber drivers stay in the lane with the pax arriving in their own cars. The taxi line was only for taxi and commercial mass transit (bus). The people on the ground will tell you where to stop to unload.

Go on www.Youtube.com and enter this "Seattle Cruise Port Terminal Pier 91 (Smith Cove) Boarding Cruise Ship to Alaska" this will give you an excellent idea as to what to expect. The baggage drop off/scanner is downstairs, make sure they have there luggage tags on there bags, this really slows down the process. They will then proceed to the "health form" area which is downstairs, fill out the health form. Have your travel documents out, pass port and boarding pass, they will have to show them before they can go upstairs, take the escalator up to the second floor. They will then show there passports and boarding passes again before going though the security scanner. Once they clear the security area they'll be directed to one of the check counters. There will be many people from Princess guiding them along. They've really got it down so it all goes pretty fast. We've done this many times and it goes pretty fast.

Randy

There will be personnel all along the way to direct them where they will be needing to go, they will not let them take an indirect turn or get lost or get on the wrong ship. (Holland America is also at the same pier)

One of the most important things to tell them is to keep their passports and boarding passes with them. I've seen people pack their passports in their bags then send their bags onto the ship.

Hope they enjoy their cruise.

Thank you for the responses! I've printed their boarding passes and luggage tags so it sounds like they are good to go. They will have carry on luggage only (backpack, CPAP and 21" suitcases) so I will let them know they have the option of taking it through check in themselves or dropping it downstairs for the cruise personnel but of course to keep meds and essentials on their person.

When they disembark, can anyone confirm that Uber pickup is right outside the terminal? I'm getting conflicting info. Some sources say it's right in front of the terminal but others say they only allow Uber pickups in the Cell Phone Lot.

Also, just realized there is an option on Princess.com to select vegetarian food preferences. My mother is a vegetarian. Should I go ahead and select this for her on their site?

It won't hurt to select it.

Have you ever been on a cruise? It sounds like you are doing all the work and worrying. It is really easy--as long as they show up at the terminal, they will be cared for. There is virtually nothing that can't be handled from that point on, provided they show up with the required documents. Forgetting a passport....yeah, that is a deal breaker.

It won't hurt to select it.

Have you ever been on a cruise? It sounds like you are doing all the work and worrying. It is really easy--as long as they show up at the terminal' date=' they will be cared for. There is virtually nothing that can't be handled from that point on, provided they show up with the required documents. Forgetting a passport....yeah, that is a deal breaker.[/quote']

And - likely assumed here - but good to mention - Seattle has 2 cruise ship terminals. Important to have the number (and address) for Uber driver, because they might assume it is the other downtown waterfront one which is more visual for us locals.

It sounds like Princess has set loading times based on floor levels. Our TA sent us ours, and I might have found it somewhere in the cruise personalizer.

I think they should bring you along (as a thanks) another time!

Dear OP...I chose not to read all the other posts....

I have just returned from a RT on Ruby Princess, May 19th, has anyone else who is providing information here traveled to Seattle recently?

The airport is under construction, can I ask why you are using Uber? Rather than a cab?

And - likely assumed here - but good to mention - Seattle has 2 cruise ship terminals. Important to have the number (and address) for Uber driver, because they might assume it is the other downtown waterfront one which is more visual for us locals.

It sounds like Princess has set loading times based on floor levels. Our TA sent us ours, and I might have found it somewhere in the cruise personalizer.

I think they should bring you along (as a thanks) another time!

The boarding times are just a suggestion--they are not enforced in any way. Show up when it is convenient for you. We usually check out of the hotel at 11 (the typical "must be out" time) and head over to the terminal.

If your parents are using Uber and are arriving after noon, they might be able to drop off right in front of the terminal, but usually they have to drop off at the same place they pick up passengers. The drop off /pick up point is on the other side the first building you see after the taxi/shuttle bus area. It’s not far, if you prefer Uber, but a taxi is usually about the same price. Unless your parents live in the greater Seattle area, then it probably would be the more cost effective way.

Also, just realized there is an option on Princess.com to select vegetarian food preferences. My mother is a vegetarian. Should I go ahead and select this for her on their site?

There is no benefit to say this on the web site. At best you will get a note saying to discuss it with the dining room personnel once you are on board.

The first evening speak with your headwaiter. Each evening he will bring the next day's menus to her and help with the selection of meal items. There are always some items that will be marked vegetarian, but there are also others that the headwaiter can arrage to be made vegetarian (example: French onion soup with is usually made from beef stock can be made without using that).

Also let your table waitstaff know so they do not accidentally bring a non-vegetarian item.

Above works if you are in traditional (fixed-time) or Anytime dining. If in Anytime I suggest using the same dining room each evening so you can work with the same headwaiter. Your selected menu items will be saved away by her cabin number, so when dining that next day, just let the waitstaff know she has pre-ordered and what her cabin number is.

If she will be eating at a specialty restaurant, go there the evening before to speak with the headwaiter to arrange what she will be served the next evening.

When eating at the buffet, seek out a supervisor if there are any questions about what is or is not vegetarian.

Please note that in some other parts of the world being vegetarian may mean only no meat, so be sure that fish or other seafood is not offered as being for a vegetarian.

Four other items for first time cruisers.

a) The Patter is a daily newsletter that will be in the cabin upon embarkation with a new one appearing each evening about the following day. The Patter has a schedule of all events and shows on the ship as well as dining times at the various venues. Your parents should read this carefully so as not to miss any activities/shows they might want to see.

b) If they have a question when on the ship, ask. Ask ship staff, ask at the customer service desk, ask fellow passengers. The only foolish question is the one not asked.

c) Some of the activities in the Patter are basically just sales presentations and should be skipped. This includes "port talks" which mainly suggest which shops to visit, spa presentations, etc. There may be some actual destination lectures which are worth attending, but those are not the ones about shopping.

d) Tipping. There is a daily gratuity added to each person's account which covers the cabin steward and food service personnel. Sometimes this is included as part of a booking promotion and thus would not appear on their accounts. Any purchased beverage will have a 15% gratuity automatically included. Any Spa service will also have a gratuity automatically included.

Edited by caribill

There is no 24 hour advance check in. They can check in any time from 75 days in advance and print their boarding passes and luggage tags.

The only thing they need to tell the Uber driver is which ship they are on.

When you say "one roller bag' date='" is this a carry on size bag or a bag that they will check in for delivery to their cabin? If a check in sized bag, they will be met at the curb and check it in on arrival at the pier. If a carry on bag, they will keep it with them throughout the process. Security is just like at an airport.--bag on the scanner, you walk thru the metal detector.

Once they are thru security, there are signs directing them to the check in counters. They will present their boarding pass and their passports or other travel documents and will be issued their cruise cards. Depending on the time and the status of boarding, they will either be directed to the gangway to board the ship or to a waiting area to sit and wait until it is time to board. They will be told whether cabins are ready or what time they are expected to be ready. Don't believe this. We were told they would not be ready till 1 or 1:30, but we went to our cabin to see if we could drop our carry ons. The cabin was totally ready for us.

FWIW, it took us less than 15 minutes from drop off at the curb till we were on the ship.[/quote']

I've been on these boards a lot the last few months preparing for my third Alaska cruise, I've read many of your posts and may I just say how kind you always are and detailed in your answers to everyone!! It is wonderful to read your posts! Thank youl

Thank you for the responses! I've printed their boarding passes and luggage tags so it sounds like they are good to go. They will have carry on luggage only (backpack, CPAP and 21" suitcases) so I will let them know they have the option of taking it through check in themselves or dropping it downstairs for the cruise personnel but of course to keep meds and essentials on their person. .

Since you mentioned using a CPAP machine, may I suggest that they bring an extension cord with them and also ask for distilled water through their personalizer (if needed). The room steward will leave a complimentary gallon of distilled water in their stateroom.