How is Prinsendam Different?

MaisonRose

We are on countdown for our first TA on the Elegant Explorer. Most experience on other HAL ships: loved the Ryndam because of the size.

Anyway, I know P'dam is smaller with fewer passengers, but just wondering.

For example do passengers on her tend to dress up more for dinner (than the new smart casual seen on the other, larger ships?)

What are the features that attract so many to the Prinsendam?

Affichianados: speak to me!

I am really looking forward to our maiden voyage on her.

Edited by MaisonRose
grammar

I think the tone is just a little more formal than on the larger HAL ships - perhaps because the passenger mix are more likely to be more seasoned cruisers - who are not looking for the "best deal" or the "wow factor" as much as those on larger ships. When we sailed, it was all assigned dining as there was very limited alternative dining - so again it attracted a more traditional mix.

The crew seemed to have a greater spirit- perhaps pride - because of the specialness of the ship.

Also her smaller size led to a greater sense of interaction among the passengers. The whole mood is different.

I love the Prinsendam, mostly because of its size and seems to have an aura about it.. It's so easy to get to where you want to go quickly. I think more time is spent on the cuisine in the Dining Room. I always ask for a table for 8 and have met the most interesting folks to dine with, and subsequently travel with. Oh yes, the rooms have walk-in closets which make for easy unpacking and packing later. And the crew seems to be more friendly. One even gets asked to dine with the first officer or other crew members. I love that dam ship!!! :halo::):D

Marianne

Just disembarked from the Prisendam after 34 days of enjoying a perfect cruise experience. She was built in 1988 and to us looked new. Everything worked as advertised.

The crew was doting and did an amazing job of taking care of us. We could sense the We Care attitude.

Beautiful flower arrangements and lots of Hal tradition still in place.

As it was our first time on Prisendam it took a little while to adjust as everything is miniaturized compared to our other Hal ship experiences.

One floor dining and show room. Spa and gym in aft.

Entertainment was the best we have experienced. Best crew singer and dancers, Dino's and the Ocean Bar Quartet were awesome, Piano player George 4-6 in Crows Nest and Jeff as the Piano Bar Entertainer also in Crows Nest were talented professionals.

Expensive cruise yes but it was obvious to us you get what you pay for.

As soon as I get caught up here at home I hope to do a more extensive review of our first MS Prisendam cruising experience.

She is scheduled for her 30 year inspection next year and the Chief Engineer is confident she will pass with flying colors. According to the Captain and Chief Engineer the Prisendam, when built was constructed at the highest level of quality.

Like most of Hal's older Fleet ships there are For Sale Signs on most of them but one has to find a buyer willing to pay high offering prices. We got the feeling the MS Prisendam is going to be around for quite a few more years.

Last dry dock she received new AC units, a new added and needed water maker, reverse osmosis, state of the art fire suppression system, external generator and many more upgrades.

It was hard disembarking Her and Her wonderful crew.

Edited by aliaschief

MaisonRose one other point I didn't address. Dress on Gala nights was pretty much the norm as compared and experienced on the rest of the Fleet. Few tuxes a couple of long gowns, many suits and sport jackets and quite a few minimal collared shirts.

On our Gala evening and cocktails in the the Captain Quarters followed by dinner in dining room; I believe only one couple was in formal dress.

Hal set the new dress code standards and most folks are heeding them and truthfully their are many who dress to minimum or below. Doesn't bother us just another sign of the times.

Edited by aliaschief

Another aficionado here. ;)

My favourite ship to do a TA in. She was not built by HAL, so her bow is different - it's meant for ocean sailing and she cuts through the waves. Originally built as a luxury ship, she has little touches here and there that you don't see on the other HAL ships - walk in closets, more wood work, rosewood walls in the Pinnacle, etc.

I have always found the crew to be amazing on this ship - they know you and your preferences quickly, remember you from past cruises, etc.

Service and food has always been a notch above the other ships in our experience.

Passengers on board are usually well travelled and very interesting to talk to.

The library is wonderful. It's really 2 rooms so don't forget to pass through the little door way to the Oak Room. If one of those big chairs is free, grab it fast. They are really comfortable. The Oak Room is just gorgeous. The Crow's Nest on this ship is my favourite in the fleet.

And of course, the P'dam goes to many ports that others in the fleet (and most ships) can't. Of the few that can, many don't do her type of itinerary. Her itineraries (most) are truly different.

Entertainment is smaller on this ship (smaller stage) and often soloists but...the ones we have seen on board are VERY good.

She has her quirks, lacks some bells and whistles but those that love her, truly do.

And for a number of us out there, she's our favourite ship in the fleet. Have a great cruise on her :D

IMO P'dam is a nice ship, but don't get your hopes too high, as I did from all the hype. Basically it's a 2/3 sized Ryndam or Maasdam to me. The Canaletto area is nicer though.

Edited by jtl513

IMO P'dam is a nice ship, but don't get your hopes too high, as I did from all the hype. Basically it's a 2/3 sized Ryndam or Maasdam to me. The Canaletto area is nicer though.

I totally agree. We were very underwhelmed after reading the hype, truthfully I should have known better. Food and service were standard for the fleet. Passengers kept saying to each other that the food is supposed to be the best in the fleet?

Three years ago the physical plant, our cabin in particular, were kind of rough although it has been refurbished since. HVAC issues for us.

The ship is small but layout is peculiar so we didn't find the charm others see. Being smaller in size didn't mean much to us.

Since the Prinsendam was built for Royal Viking (a luxury line) they used the finest materials, and gave her an elegant look & feel. It is still there, although there have been changes to the physical plant since then. The organization of the rooms is different from the other HAL ships, so even after many days on her I still don't feel like I 'know' her the same way.

Not a problem, though, since she is so small that it is easy too find your way to wherever you are going.

Most of the cabins are down a small passageway off the main passageway (as was common when this ship was built. The closet and bathroom act as a buffer for any noise that could disturb sleep. Seating area is close to the windows or sliders to the balcony. (yes, sliders. much easier to open/close than a heavy door).

But it is the people and service on the Prinsendam that makes her a favorite. I recently spent 4 weeks on her, and was overwhelmed by the attention I received. I would go to the Lido for breakfast, and before I knew it, someone was finding me a place to sit, getting my coffee for me, and getting my breakfast! All I had to do was sit and wait to be served.

Dinner had the most attentive service I could ask for, including special requests made by the galley staff.

The Shore Excursion staff spent a great deal of time, as if I was the only passenger they had, explaining mobility concerns, and getting additional information from the vendor when necessary.

Lounge staff (with one notable exception) was prompt and got the order correct with ease.

Chief, who was your Captain on the Prinsendam? We had Captain Schuchmann last year for most of the cruise, then changed to Captain Chris Turner, but I believe he spends most of his time on Zaandam.

Capt. Jeroen Schuchmann was there until a week ago and the Norwegian "guest captain" from Seabourn, Dag Dvergastein, took over then. Capt. Dvergastein did a stint on her in 2015 and 2016 also before heading back to Seabourn. Capt. Chris Turner is now assigned to Volendam

Pretty good video on Captain Dag, especially how to pronounce his last name ;)

MaisonRose one other point I didn't address. Dress on Gala nights was pretty much the norm as compared and experienced on the rest of the Fleet. Few tuxes a couple of long gowns, many suits and sport jackets and quite a few minimal collared shirts.

On our Gala evening and cocktails in the the Captain Quarters followed by dinner in dining room; I believe only one couple was in formal dress.

Hal set the new dress code standards and most folks are heeding them and truthfully their are many who dress to minimum or below. Doesn't bother us just another sign of the times.

Sounds like you had a good time Chief! :D

Chief, who was your Captain on the Prinsendam? We had Captain Schuchmann last year for most of the cruise, then changed to Captain Chris Turner, but I believe he spends most of his time on Zaandam.

It was Captain Shuchmann a very nice gentleman.

Capt. Jeroen Schuchmann was there until a week ago and the Norwegian "guest captain" from Seabourn, Dag Dvergastein, took over then. Capt. Dvergastein did a stint on her in 2015 and 2016 also before heading back to Seabourn. Capt. Chris Turner is now assigned to Volendam

great video :) Thanks for sharing.

All of the above is true, in our opinion, but... (as I posted before), don't get a Signature Suite under the Lido Deck pool area, as every time a person on the Lido Deck moves a chair, it resonates through the steel floor, which is the ceiling area of the SS rooms. Rubber cups on the chairs might have helped, but it was evident that they had long since mostly disappeared. Very noisy in our cabin during the day and evening time - hard to take a nap! Noisy out on the verandah area, too.

One other thing - our sliding door to the verandah (again, Signature Suite) whistled when underway. Maintenance responded and replaced the gasket material, but it didn't help much. I finally figured out to not close the door tightly, then to stuff a rag (supplied by the cabin attendant) into the offending areas (top and bottom). Sort of helped, but not ideal.

Main dining room was noisier than other HAL ships, in our opinion, and the Lido eating area is smaller, although you can overflow into the Canaletto area during b'fast/lunch. But sometimes you couldn't find a seat.

Still, a fun ship, clearly very well built, and seemed to ride the seas very well.

Al Carter

My Christmas/New Year's Cruise on the Prinsendam had Captain Dag at the helm. Very guest oriented and friendly and helped to make this cruise a genuine favorite in my memory.

As others have said, Prinsendam does have her quirks. Having sailed twice on Royal Viking Sky, she still retains some of the "Royal Viking Hallmarks", but in comparison to the 3 vessels that preceded her, she is a different lady. (HAL's reconfiguration of her may be the reason for this. This is NOT a negative, however, in my opinion.)

For the OP, do not overlook the seating section of the Lido Restaurant where Canaletto is located when you have breakfast. I did not utilize this space until late in my cruise. I found it to be a delightful area in the morning. Also, if there is space available and you are so inclined, the Dining Room Annex, just aft of the Ocean Bar, is an excellent dining venue. It's almost like dining in a private club. (When I was saw that our assigned table was there, I was disappointed. But, after the first evening, I found how wrong my thinking was! My traveling companion and I loved the location! We were close enough to the entrance between the Ocean Bar and the Dining Room that we usually had some good music along with our tablemates' conversations to enjoy.)

Another notable feature was the outstanding musical groups that played in the Ocean Bar. Disappointing was the Piano Bar performer in the Crow's Nest. After 3-4 nights of listening to his "talk" more than his entertaining, neither of us returned.

If you enjoyed the Ryndam, you will enjoy the Prinsendam as well! Have a pleasant and safe cruise!

My Christmas/New Year's Cruise on the Prinsendam had Captain Dag at the helm. Very guest oriented and friendly and helped to make this cruise a genuine favorite in my memory.

As others have said, Prinsendam does have her quirks. Having sailed twice on Royal Viking Sky, she still retains some of the "Royal Viking Hallmarks", but in comparison to the 3 vessels that preceded her, she is a different lady. (HAL's reconfiguration of her may be the reason for this. This is NOT a negative, however, in my opinion.)

For the OP, do not overlook the seating section of the Lido Restaurant where Canaletto is located when you have breakfast. I did not utilize this space until late in my cruise. I found it to be a delightful area in the morning. Also, if there is space available and you are so inclined, the Dining Room Annex, just aft of the Ocean Bar, is an excellent dining venue. It's almost like dining in a private club. (When I was saw that our assigned table was there, I was disappointed. But, after the first evening, I found how wrong my thinking was! My traveling companion and I loved the location! We were close enough to the entrance between the Ocean Bar and the Dining Room that we usually had some good music along with our tablemates' conversations to enjoy.)

Another notable feature was the outstanding musical groups that played in the Ocean Bar. Disappointing was the Piano Bar performer in the Crow's Nest. After 3-4 nights of listening to his "talk" more than his entertaining, neither of us returned.

If you enjoyed the Ryndam, you will enjoy the Prinsendam as well! Have a pleasant and safe cruise!

thank you for your comment on the Canaletto. I have to say that on the Prinsendam, it was the best Canaletto ever. Second best is the Rotterdam.

But for Lido dining we go to the new enclosed Lido Terrace area - the new Garden Room (I forget the right name but right at the Lido - step out and it is glorious)

One thing on this ship is I never found the Lido crowded - we could always find a table easily which for me, makes a big difference.

And yes, the Lido crew did a great job taking care of you on my cruises. We will have 100 days on this ship when we sail next year for good reason. Little things matter to me.

thank you for your comment on the Canaletto. I have to say that on the Prinsendam, it was the best Canaletto ever. Second best is the Rotterdam.

But for Lido dining we go to the new enclosed Lido Terrace area - the new Garden Room (I forget the right name but right at the Lido - step out and it is glorious)

One thing on this ship is I never found the Lido crowded - we could always find a table easily which for me, makes a big difference.

And yes, the Lido crew did a great job taking care of you on my cruises. We will have 100 days on this ship when we sail next year for good reason. Little things matter to me.

kazu,

I think we are mentioning the same area of the Lido Restaurant. Windows on the sides of the space and in much of the ceiling. Views of the funnel, as I recall, from such seating. I never dined there as "Canaletto", but for breakfast or lunch, it was a most pleasant venue.

What a great video! What you see with this gentleman is what you will experience. Thanks for posting this Copper 10-8!

The Canaletto is also a good place to eat in if you are doing scenic cruising. We had dinner in the Prinsendam's Canaletto for dinner as we were cruising through the Norwegian fjords. A good meal and a terrific view. Our CD recommended it.

And what makes the Prinsendam different from the other ships is her "itineraries"!!!! We have met so many people who sail on her from Ft Lauderdale to Ft Lauderdale due to the itineraries that change from cruise to cruise. She doesn't just sail the same same route repeatedly.

Edited by Storylady

I have mixed feelings about the Prinsendam. Did one westbound TA on her. Liked the larger cabins, walkin closets, and room arrangement with bed away from the window in OV. Liked the service level - did find it a step up from other HAL ships. Food seemed the same. Did not like the musty smells in hallways and sewer smells on A deck when getting off in ports. Found embarking in Rome very impersonal and lacking in service. Would I sail her again? Yes, but she is not my favorite ship - I like Noordam and Rotterdam better.

What I found different about her was the passenger mix. Lots of well-travelled folks with wonderful travel stories, but not snooty, very friendly and down to earth, Because she is so small, you get to know people, as with so many sea days on a TA, people get into a routine schedule and you run into the same people at the same time and places. There were lots using her as a means to get home to the USA. They had been on her all summer, or were returning from their summer homes in Europe. Or Europeans going to Florida for the winter etc. Loved hearing all the stories.

Dining staff was superb - there was an ebb and flow to attendance at several tables and they didn't want folks alone at a table, so would have them join another table that might be missing someone for the night. We got to know people from about six surrounding tables this way and it was fun, as we could all greet each other and ask about the day, tours, etc. Became like a big family due to the caring of the staff.

Love the piano bar location in Crows Nest. Good place to hang out at night. Highlight was going thru Gibraltar at about midnight and seeing it all lit up on both sides and all the ships lined up. Itinerary was the usual TA with the Spanish stops but Lisbon stop was a late departure so we got to have dinner at a local place in town. Due to her size, we were able to go up the river and dock right in town.

But it is the people and service on the Prinsendam that makes her a favorite. I recently spent 4 weeks on her, and was overwhelmed by the attention I received. I would go to the Lido for breakfast, and before I knew it, someone was finding me a place to sit, getting my coffee for me, and getting my breakfast! All I had to do was sit and wait to be served.

Dinner had the most attentive service I could ask for, including special requests made by the galley staff.

The Shore Excursion staff spent a great deal of time, as if I was the only passenger they had, explaining mobility concerns, and getting additional information from the vendor when necessary.

Lounge staff (with one notable exception) was prompt and got the order correct with ease.

Right on the money Ruth! We spent 4 months on the Prinsendam earlier this year. The crew is fantastic. At the end of our trip we sailed home on the Rotterdam. The difference in service, particularly in the Lido and from the bar waiters was a step down on the Rotterdam. Our feeling is that HAL should break in their new staff on the Prinsendam to learn how it's done...excellent service delivered with a smile. To give the Rotterdam crew its due, the Front Desk staff and dinning room staff were every bit as good as those on the Prinsendam. The difference on Prinsendam, because of its small size, is that they get to know you very quickly. They know your name, what you like, and give you the warm smile of someone that knows you. Another wonderful aspect, made to order stir fries in the Lido. Unobtainable on the Rotterdam. Also, as others have mentioned, the best Canaletto in the fleet. Its not the food, its the view. Its the only Canaletto that has panoramic views over the stern. That makes for incredible dinning in the fjords of Norway or in Antarctica.

Oh my gosh, you guys are great: it's why I am thrilled to have found Cruise Critic.

You can guess how excited I am now (and no one even mentioned the self service laundry!) :)

Thanks very much!

Happy Sailing to All....

Susan