wondering if St thomas and Tortola ports will be available to dock by the end of Nov?

az-cruiser

One of the FB post from Windraveler........ They are the family who own Aristocat Charters in Tortola.

For those of you who have vacationed to the BVI, this is what is left of the beautiful Saba Rock Resort. My heart hurts badly as my dear friends boyfriend ran this place and now what?

From my friend in Road Town: A visual of Road Town Tortola and the channel. Supply vessels are anchored in the bay, Navy ship doing med evac via helo taking bodies away. 17 reported dead so far.

Terrible about the casualties, which I fear will grow, but thank god some aid is there... our island needs it terribly. I just got a call from our captain Jorn and he said, "There is nothing left. It's unbelievable. Nothing". There are rumors of island evacuation on Sunday, but unconfirmed. The reports of the level destruction are unbelievable... every day the situation seems more and more bleak. Pretty much all of our friends are homeless, power will be off for weeks, more likely months. The prison crumbled and all prisoners escaped....it goes on and on and on...

Scott, and our friends Gary and Alec are enroute to Puerto Rico. They will go to Tortola as soon as they can by boat after Jose passes to distribute supplies and help with evacuation. Many many people desperate to get out.

I wish I could be more positive...

I am sure GSC is going to be destroyed also so that is probably another stop that NCL will not be able to make. If anyone is doing an Eastern Caribbean Itinerary in 2017 I wouldn't count on going to any of those islands. These hurricanes are going through the upper Caribbean like a buzz saw and now Jose is taking aim at Antigua and Barbuda again. God help those people as they have suffered enough.

Sorry, but what does GSC mean?

I am sure GSC is going to be destroyed also so that is probably another stop that NCL will not be able to make. If anyone is doing an Eastern Caribbean Itinerary in 2017 I wouldn't count on going to any of those islands. These hurricanes are going through the upper Caribbean like a buzz saw and now Jose is taking aim at Antigua and Barbuda again. God help those people as they have suffered enough.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Such tragic word from Tortola. Windtravers latest update::

"Folks: the situation in Tortola, if you can believe it, is becoming even more dire. Fear and panic are setting in and friends on the ground are scared. Looting has begun....It is very unsafe on Tortola and hundreds and hundreds of people need evacuation. Another storm is coming and almost everyone is homeless and without adequate shelter. Rumor has it St. Maarten is a war zone....Tortola will follow suit if WE DO NOT GET EVACUATION SERVICES AND A MILITARY PRESENCE IMMEDIATELY!!!!"

Over the years, I've visited several Caribbean islands 3-4 months after a Cat 3 storm, and many parts still resembled war zones: commercial and residential roofs torn off, trees stripped bare, felled trees still blocking roads, once-beautiful beach water churning with seaweed, and widespread unemployment. A direct strike from a Cat 5 storm, with a massive surf, would likely inflict exponentially worse damage, so don't be surprised to find Tortola in late November still looking like it's been to hell and back--especially away from the ports.

The more Caribbean islands impacted, the longer the delay in rebuilding, as Britain, Netherlands, France, U.S., etc., will have limited funds for many, many hands. I imagine the western Caribbean will become even more popular, along with the far southern Caribbean, Barbados, etc. I don't think the impacted islands will repel tourists entirely the next few months, but visitors will likely concentrate in small pockets--this while the locals live with utter destruction for years to come. The impact on social order is anyone's guess.

Found this video from St Thomas, the camera angles are somewhat maddening but I'm pretty sure that's the Charlotte Amelie port area around 0:22. "Looks" okay.

https://videopress.com/v/kjHPP3lg

Yes, that is the Havensight Shopping area. The buildings appear to be standing. I always marveled at the heavy wooden doors all the stores in the shopping district had and am sure that they prevented a lot of wind damage but there probably is still flood damage.

I pray these people can come through this as best is possible...

bosco

wondering if St thomas and Tortola, and Nassau ports will be available to dock by the end of November? Jost van Dyke looks wrecked and St. Thomas is not far behind. I've had ports changed in the past after storms or hurricanes, but usually within 30 days. Since it's still 2 months away, just curious about everyones thoughts. I feel so bad for the people on these islands, and another hurricane not far behind.:(

I think Bahamas are getting it today, but haven't watched the news that much. As for when the ports will be ready or if tendering will be the only way that is anyone's guess. It depends on just how much damage was or will be done. I think the next one is heading toward the gulf, but I could be wrong and I believe there are 2 of them.

special prayers to all that are on the islnads, to those who have family members living on the islands and to all our friends and relatives in Florida that may be affected in the next 24 hours or so.:loudcry:

Edited by newmexicoNita

I think Bahamas are getting it today, but haven't watched the news that much. As for when the ports will be ready or if tendering will be the only way that is anyone's guess. It depends on just how much damage was or will be done. I think the next one is heading toward the gulf, but I could be wrong and I believe there are 2 of them.

Katia is hanging around off Mexico and will hopefully be gone soon:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/175109.shtml?cone#contents

Jose is going to, unfortunately, probably going to hit a few islands that have already been hit before curving away towards Bermuda:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/174742.shtml?cone#contents

Irma is passing thru Bahamas now - from "Google Crisis Response: Hurricane Irma"

http://google.org/crisismap/2017-irma?hl=en&llbox=35.46%2C11.66%2C-40.38%2C-100.41&t=TERRAIN&layers=3%2C1340721332252%2C30%2C1%2C31%2C32%2C5%2C49%2C15%2C11%2C20%2C12%2Clayer9%2Clayer8

The live Nassau's PTZtv webcam was still up & streaming 2 hours ago but is offline - for now, likely from wind & loss of electricity. Concerns for storm surge and flooding for downtown's flood-prone area, reported at 20 ft. high.

Were six months from sailing on the Gem to the eastern Caribbean. Tortola, St. Martins, St. Thomas, San Juan and St. Kitts. Totally sympathetic to the Islanders. We choose to return to the Greek Island of Lesvos again this year to support them. People are not travelling there because they're put off by the Syrian refugees landing from Turkey. My wife has been involved in organising aid for the Syrians refugees. Were not unsympethetic.

But! if I'm honest I'd prefer it if NCL changed the Itinerary, purely as I don't see the point of visiting devastated Islands, it will be too soon. I'd rather reroute to the Southern Caribbean.

How likely is it that NCL will be looking to reschedule sailings away from the eastern Islands up to six months from now, any history?

Seriously we don't want any more sea days as were sailing from New York as it is.

We could still cancel, but we won't do that.

Has anybody heard how St. Kitts made out? They're in that same "neighborhood" but I haven't really heard much about them.

Apparently, they had some hurricane damages but not too significant, unlike Barbuda, et. al.

http://www.thestkittsnevisobserver.com/breaking-news/fw-nevis-premier-reports-minimal-damage-from-hurricane-irma/

Katia is hanging around off Mexico and will hopefully be gone soon:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/175109.shtml?cone#contents

Jose is going to, unfortunately, probably going to hit a few islands that have already been hit before curving away towards Bermuda:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/174742.shtml?cone#contents

so hope you are right. I was listening to NPR news late yesterday and they had a totally different story when they spoke with some experts in Florida. Both of them said Jose is likely to do severe damage to the already hit islands in the Caribbean but not likely to hit Florida and Katia could very well hit the Gulf coast of Mexico pretty strongly. Of course this in NPR; they are about the most negative network there is so I guess we can take what they say with a grain of salt for now.

so hope you are right. I was listening to NPR news late yesterday and they had a totally different story when they spoke with some experts in Florida. Both of them said Jose is likely to do severe damage to the already hit islands in the Caribbean but not likely to hit Florida and Katia could very well hit the Gulf coast of Mexico pretty strongly. Of course this in NPR; they are about the most negative network there is so I guess we can take what they say with a grain of salt for now.

???

This is posted on the ncl.com site under Weather Alert

"Due to the devastation in the Caribbean caused by Hurricane Irma, all of Norwegian Escape’s upcoming Eastern Caribbean sailings will be altered to a Western Caribbean itinerary until November. All guests scheduled to sail on any affected cruises will be notified of the change."

It depends on what you want to do. If you are interested in snorkeling, SCUBA/SNUBA, swimming, petting stingrays, water-based activities, then you will be fine in 2 weeks. Zip line, straw market, sightseeing, other inland based activities, then you ought to reconsider for a few months unless it involves a national chain.

This is what I've been thinking. I imagine it will depend on the condition of the cruise dock areas in these ports. Water based activities such as beaches and those you list could resume fairly quickly. These islands depend on tourist dollars and I hope they can open sooner rather than later for their own economic welfare.

These islands have been devastated. St. Thomas will probably bounce back the fastest but that could still be months. Tortola, St. John's, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda all look like bombs went off. The majority of the vegetation is gone, the mountains are mostly brown instead of green and most structures, utilities, etc. are compromised. I suspect it will be at least a year if not more before tourists can come back. It will take much more than that for the trees to come back.

Sorry to be so glum but I don't think people realize that this wasn't your typical hurricane damage. Its not getting enough coverage because of the threat to Florida and what happened to Houston (understandably).

Keep them in your prayers and donate to their reconstruction if you can.

This site has been posting aerial views of all the islands. It is heartbreaking.

Also see Coast Guard flyover of St.Thomas.