Sanford Flight-Oasis

Sanford and Orlando are two different airports. Orlando International (MCO) is the big one, Sanford is a smaller airport and further from the port.

You can definitely make a 12:40 flight from Orlando, especially if you use self-assist to carry your own bags off the ship. I've driven home, passing the airport by about 30 mins, and walked in my front door by 10am before. Sanford is probably OK too, I'm just not at all familiar with that airport.

If you are thinking about flying Allegiant, I strongly urge you to reconsider.

As an airline industry insider, I can tell you that it is a well known fact that their maintenance practices are, shall I say, less than stellar. And that choice of words is being very generous.

Do yourself a favor and fly into MCO.

Edited by stobe1

I just did it two weeks ago. Got off via self-assist and went to the car rental shuttle area. Picked up a car from Avis and drove to SFO in about an hour. I had over an hour to spare. Avis shuttle sucked, first van came after 7:30a and by then 30-50 people were waiting for it. Other car providers had came and went twice by then.

I just did it two weeks ago. Got off via self-assist and went to the car rental shuttle area. Picked up a car from Avis and drove to SFO in about an hour. I had over an hour to spare. Avis shuttle sucked, first van came after 7:30a and by then 30-50 people were waiting for it. Other car providers had came and went twice by then.

Assuming you meant SFB??? SFO is the opposite coast.

The 'official' name IS

Orlando Sanford International Airport

the official name of the Melbourne airport recently changed to

Orlando Melbourne International Airport

Now if you want to get to the 'fun', Orlando airport authority has balked at the recent name change in Melbourne but was a proponent of the naming for Sanford

:confused::confused:

Edited by Capt_BJ

To answer your original question, you should easily make it to Orlando/Sanford SFB for a 12:40 flight. Drive to the airport from PC is about an hour, maybe less. I fly into SFB all the time and it is easy to check into because it is a small airport with only a few gates. Love it.

I have flown Alegiant many times. Southwest is number 1 and they had a deadly malfunction last week. I am not an expert about the maintenance, but I assume that FAA and the insurance companies would ground the fleet if there were known serious issues. As someone who has flown airlines overseas that most people have never heard of, I know statistically flying even on Alegiant is generally safer than driving a car.

That said, to the OP, flying Alegiant has some positives and some very serious negatives. From our airport to Sanford, summer time there are 3 flights a week. Which means if you have a weather problem, you are now waiting for 2 or 3 days until the next Alegiant flight. In the fall and winter, it is only two flights a week, which means 3 or 4 days until the next flight. I have had friends that were taking a long weekend trip to Florida, and they missed it completely because of the next flight was the one they would be returning from.

Sanford airport is a decent airport, very small, compared to Orlando. It is at least a 30 minute drive further than from Orlando because it is further north. I would never use Alegiant to fly in the day of a cruise. I one time was contemplating if we had weather a few years ago (as it was forecast) that my fall back plan was to jump in the car and drive 18 hours to the port. Fortunately the actual snowfall was much less than the predicted.

JC

The 60 Minutes feature on the horrible safety record of Alegiant was eye-opening to say the least. They pointed out that the safety board has not done its job with monitoring the many failures of Alegiant. I'm sure the feature was done to expose the problems and cause the regulator to act.

The 60 Minutes feature on the horrible safety record of Alegiant was eye-opening to say the least. They pointed out that the safety board has not done its job with monitoring the many failures of Alegiant. I'm sure the feature was done to expose the problems and cause the regulator to act.

You might want to look into better sources of information than them. We quit watching them over 20 years ago when they were caught inventing facts and using interview answers entirely out of context.

The comment on limited number of flights is far more important. If a flight is cancelled you need an alternate flight.

Or because they are a tv show, and whether you think they are a news organization, I think they are just out to get people to follow them on twitter.

In other words I listen to what they said, and I basically know they are just hyping their stupid show.

The world has changed and I don’t believe any 3 letter network to give me facts.

That said. I think Alegiant is not the best of the airlines. I, also, don’t believe they are the worst. Think about that when you get on one of the other airlines.:halo:

JC

I chose NOT to watch the 60 minute special. :o I made my plans MANY MONTHS ago and it's too late to change them now. Now granted I was nervous about the 4 days of flights per week or whatever but decided I'd take that chance. My daughters were stranded (ok not stranded but had to pay additional to get another airline flight home) in Las Vegas when they flew Spirit. No big deal just another couple hours added to their vacation and more money. (NO, I WAS NOT HAPPY because I had to pay the extra money to get them home. And yes, I realize everyone does not have that luxury).

I choose to think of it as, I can't live my life around what MIGHT happen. :eek: You only hear about the BAD flights. You never hear about the hundreds of daily flights that make it perfectly fine to their destinations.

Now with all this said, I HOPE I MAKE IT TO MY CRUISE IN ONE PIECE!!! We leave tomorrow morning on Allegiant and this is to convince myself that everything will be just fine......(yn)

I chose NOT to watch the 60 minute special. :o I made my plans MANY MONTHS ago and it's too late to change them now. Now granted I was nervous about the 4 days of flights per week or whatever but decided I'd take that chance. My daughters were stranded (ok not stranded but had to pay additional to get another airline flight home) in Las Vegas when they flew Spirit. No big deal just another couple hours added to their vacation and more money. (NO, I WAS NOT HAPPY because I had to pay the extra money to get them home. And yes, I realize everyone does not have that luxury).

I choose to think of it as, I can't live my life around what MIGHT happen. :eek: You only hear about the BAD flights. You never hear about the hundreds of daily flights that make it perfectly fine to their destinations.

Now with all this said, I HOPE I MAKE IT TO MY CRUISE IN ONE PIECE!!! We leave tomorrow morning on Allegiant and this is to convince myself that everything will be just fine......(yn)

You will be fine!

How is the weather where you live and in Sanford tomorrow? That would be my only worry.... O, and that they cancel the flight for a mechanical reason. If the plane flies you will fine, and you will save money over other options, plus it is nice (at least for us) to not have to make connections to get somewhere.

JC

On another note on flying in general from Las Vegas. It is not unusual for flights to be cancelled during hot weather in Las Vegas because the planes do not generate as much lift since the air is much less dense. The company I work for has a small fleet of planes that we use occassionally for work, and when we have a fully loaded plane and the temps are in the 90s, we can not fly out of the small airport in our town where we keep the planes because the runway is not long enough. The pilot on those occasions will fly by himself to the General Aviation terminal at the large airport where we will then board and fully fuel the plane. So, it is always a disaster flying in the Southwest in the summer because you never know when flights are going to not be able to fly due to heat.

JC

We flew Alligient a couple of times. The first time was okay. The second time, the previous flight had a maintenance problem and our plane was full so no one could book on ours. We left on time, but I guess they ended up having to fly a crew in for the other plane and they left three or four days later after changing an engine.

I didn't watch the 60 minutes episode, but for several years now I've read things about safety issues with Allegient. Perhaps 60 minutes misconstrued some things, I don't know, I didn't watch it. But Google is your friend, do a search, you'll see that there's more to this than a television program.

That being said, I've flown Allegient once from Sanford to Raleigh. I survived. The Sanford airport is great, there's never anyone there.

I'd still fly Allegient but I can't for the life of me find it to be a better deal than Frontier or Southwest. I do price comparisons frequently. It costs more to take a bag on the plane that it does for the airfare itself. Once all of the "add ons" add up, it ends up not being such a great deal.

I didn't watch the 60 minutes episode, but for several years now I've read things about safety issues with Allegient. Perhaps 60 minutes misconstrued some things, I don't know, I didn't watch it. But Google is your friend, do a search, you'll see that there's more to this than a television program.

That being said, I've flown Allegient once from Sanford to Raleigh. I survived. The Sanford airport is great, there's never anyone there.

I'd still fly Allegient but I can't for the life of me find it to be a better deal than Frontier or Southwest. I do price comparisons frequently. It costs more to take a bag on the plane that it does for the airfare itself. Once all of the "add ons" add up, it ends up not being such a great deal.

It is not as good as Southwest or Frontier. Southwest is great. That said, we don’t have either flying from our airport. Frontier was flying from an airport about an hour away, then they left and they are seasonally dipping their toe back into that airport. Many of us have a couple of majors with their regional fleet and a single low cost airline. So for many people Alegiant is a good option. I have used it a lot, but would prefer other options, especially when missing a flight is significant.

JC