Cabin Steward - Christmas Trinket

I made up a bunch of candy canes that had a card with money in them for all the crew I came in contact on Christmas last year (epic). Sort of like this where the card allows you to tuck money in. The crew loved them (or at least pretended to love them). Apparently candy canes aren’t super common in all parts of the globe.c771502a5c9ca8305d29ee01a63e4400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made up a bunch of candy canes that had a card with money in them for all the crew I came in contact on Christmas last year (epic). Sort of like this where the card allows you to tuck money in. The crew loved them (or at least pretended to love them). Apparently candy canes aren’t super common in all parts of the globe.c771502a5c9ca8305d29ee01a63e4400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good idea - Thanks!!! 😉

Ok, sit down and put yourself in their position.. you work damn hard with very little down time. You sleep in a cramped shared cabin. You have a family or dependent back home who rely on your income. The cruise liners continue to pay 3rd world wages.

Ok.. now think how happy you would be if the wealthy cruiser left you a candy cane..

really!!! I am sure they will be the envy of the crew lounge when they show off their 'trinket'!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok, sit down and put yourself in their position.. you work damn hard with very little down time. You sleep in a cramped shared cabin. You have a family or dependent back home who rely on your income. The cruise liners continue to pay 3rd world wages.

Ok.. now think how happy you would be if the wealthy cruiser left you a candy cane..

really!!! I am sure they will be the envy of the crew lounge when they show off their 'trinket'!!

To be fair, I think the candy cane included a card with money in it.

I'd love it if it was attached to a card with $ in it :halo:!!! Which is what the original post said. Edited by cleagle
Additional information

My philosophy. Do whatever you think is right and is from your heart.

From a practical, logical point of view I advised cash (in earlier post) but I understand why you would see a gift or a gift plus cash as more appropriate. Whatever you give, I am sure it would be very much appreciated.

OP, congratulations. You win CC!

You post seeking information. By and large, posters explained to you why your plan may not be the best route to take. You then proceeded to take their advice and change plans, accepting their advice while incorporating your original desire.

I think you've struck a great balance. Mini Hershey's gives them a snack/treat, allows them to be a hero by sharing some of their largess if they'd like, and you are still giving $$$.

I don't care what anyone says, most everyone smiles a bit when given a small piece of chocolate. I realize not all can enjoy it, but its nice that someone shares a bit of cheer in that little piece. At work, I pass out Andes Candies from time to time, for no real reason. Everyone smiles, at least for a moment. Mission accomplished.

The residents of the world should hand out more pieces of chocolate (or candy canes).

I always bring a little something. I pick something edible, either a small box of chocolates or bottle of maple syrup. I tell them it's my celebration of Christmas and I would to offer them a small gift.

And you are doing them a such great favor in the event that they are diabetic or have some sort of food allergy, or are concerned about their weight or eating healthy? Time to rethink your priorities. To repeat what so many have already stated: Cash is the preferred reward.

CASH CASH CASH. Your steward might not be Christian, and will politely accept your "gift", with a smile, and say thank you, and as he goes behind the crew only doors, it gets dropped in the garbage. Imagine getting 30 "trinkets" a cruise. Gifts are for friends, CASH is for the service industry, so they can buy what they want and need.

Yep.

If you insist on giving some "trinket" even though you've been told over and over again that it's probably not wanted, well then the gift is more about making you feel good then doing something nice for someone.

Double yep.

A gift card to nowhere - Visa, M/C or AMEX.

No no no. Those have fees and are a pain to spend. No. Money. That's it.

To those of you who feel I'm being selfish by giving a trinket, I'm far from it. I love gift giving and I like to think the receiver enjoys What I've chosen for them.

You are not selfish, but your reason for giving a gift is because YOU love to and YOU like to think they like what YOU have chosen.

That's being selfish. It's nearly the definition.

And a bag of Hershey bars? Ugh. Junkiest chocolate ever. These people are international. They can get good chocolate. At least spend more than 2.50 on their gift.

Anything for the maid at the hotel the night before?

Good point.

But still, cash cash cash. To the room attendant or hotel maid.

Smiles and thanks, and if you feel it's appropriate a "happy holidays", and cash.

We've all been polite and smiled and said thank you for a gift we didn't want, and we've all had happy something-we-don't-celebrate said to us and it means nothing and we say it back.

And it's boring and silly. We know what it's like to receive things we don't want or don't care for. So why set out purposely to cause those feelings in someone?

Cash.

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to select a nice card with cash or a gift card and a small bag of Hershey bars. To those of you who feel I'm being selfish by giving a trinket, I'm far from it. I love gift giving and I like to think the receiver enjoys What I've chosen for them. Thanks again!!!

Hope you come back..as I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Rather than surprise your attendant why not ask them if you can pick up something for them on shore.......I have done this many times and generally they request snack type food. I've gotten batteries, personal items and gifts for a spouse and child. But usually it is food.

Also I have brought and given to my attendant generic cell phone accessories and unique writing pens.

off subject

We all know cash is king...but why have gift cards taken over in the States?????? I would much rather receive a tangible gift I might use than a gift card that I most likely will pass on or lose. Just sayin....BTW...I grew up where most gifts were cash, every so often it was nice to be surprised with a package.

Edited by land lover

off subject

We all know cash is king...but why have gift cards taken over in the States?????? I would much rather receive a tangible gift I might use than a gift card that I most likely will pass on or lose. Just sayin....BTW...I grew up where most gifts were cash, every so often it was nice to be surprised with a package.

Agreed I am not a fan. Giving me one is not giving me a "gift" it is giving me either an errand to run or having to go online to pick out my own gift. Requires almost no thought. Some folks do seem to really like them though.

Cash is better, no one likes "gift cards" because it adds an extra level of pain to making a purchase. Imagine going into the store with 8 gift cards and trying to make a purchase! I have scene this happen. CASH!

I love money, period. Cash, check, credit, coins, foreign currency, stocks, bonds, vouchers, gift certificates, etc. I don't care. Anyone giving me money can do it however is most convenient for them and I'll be thankful and treasure every cent I get to spend that I didn't have to work for.

Regarding Visa and such gift cards:

No no no. Those have fees and are a pain to spend....

^ Agreed, please don't.

We've all been polite and smiled and said thank you for a gift we didn't want....

Yep. I will never forget the Christmas my cousin gave me a huge oversized (real) candy cane - must have been two feet long. She thought it was fabulous. I thanked her and promptly discarded it when she left. Sorry cuz. I appreciated the sentiment but not the execution of the gift. ;)

Agreed I am not a fan. Giving me one is not giving me a "gift" it is giving me either an errand to run or having to go online to pick out my own gift. Requires almost no thought. Some folks do seem to really like them though.

I'd much rather get a gift card to a store/restaurant that I like than a tangible thing that I don't. Going to a store, let alone online, isn't much of a chore for me.

Also, We travel (fly) for the holidays with 2 young kids and would much rather our relatives give us gift cards (or nothing!) than toys we have to pack or ship to take home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums