Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

Wearing bathrobes to the pool area as a cover up could well indicate that someone has spent time in a five or six star resort where bathrobes are expected to be used as cover ups and where this is quite a common practice. They may view this as the norm rather than the exception.

Wearing bathrobes to the pool area as a cover up could well indicate that someone has spent time in a five or six star resort where bathrobes are expected to be used as cover ups and where this is quite a common practice. They may view this as the norm rather than the exception.

Yes,,,, You are correct

We were at a very luxurious resort hotel in Marbella Spain where every one wore their hotel robes all over the resort, except to dinner, when the bling and b aubles appeared. . The resort had a fantastic pool area and fabulous private beach. ROBES were worn by most everyone. I pu t away my swim suit cover ups and barely used them despite carting them with me transatlantic.

Edited by sail7seas

Yes. Just an example of how some people think that what they do and what they wear is the norm and the accepted practice world wide. Or should be. We feel a little sorry for some people go through life with these types of blinders on-never realizing or accepting that others have different practices. Especially since the world is getting smaller every day.

Not much different that giving children a little wine at dinner or topless sunbathing/beaches. Common and accepted in many parts of the world.

Well I’ve never been to a 5 star resort, but if we use the hot tub on our Alaska cruise, I plan on using the bathrobe as a coverup! Figure it’s warmer than my typical beach coverups!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. Just an example of how some people think that what they do and what they wear is the norm and the accepted practice world wide. Or should be. We feel a little sorry for some people go through life with these types of blinders on-never realizing or accepting that others have different practices. Especially since the world is getting smaller every day.

Not much different that giving children a little wine at dinner or topless sunbathing/beaches. Common and accepted in many parts of the world.

THAT is one of he many lessons of travel. It broadens the mind in the most wonderful ways . hopeully we learn the lesson that all over tghe world, many have diffrent values, traditions and societal rules. Before we can respect that, we must learn it. ;0 tHE MORE understandidng, the better.

And I thought this thread was about jeans. How did bathrobes enter the picture.

Please, bring back Jean, Jean, the dancing machine !

It's the whole slippery slope thing: jeans lead to ripped t-shirts, lead to short shorts, lead to bathrobes, lead to (as one poster invoked) "the bathing suits too many plus size cruisers wear." Soon there will be naked people eating surf and turf in the MDR, don't ya know.

And all this because a few people chose to wear jeans. I hope you're happy now.

It's the whole slippery slope thing: jeans lead to ripped t-shirts, lead to short shorts, lead to bathrobes, lead to (as one poster invoked) "the bathing suits too many plus size cruisers wear." Soon there will be naked people eating surf and turf in the MDR, don't ya know.

And all this because a few people chose to wear jeans. I hope you're happy now.

I’m concerned about naked people and those claw cracker things! Ouchie!

Plug in the size you are looking for since you know the brand, and see what you can come up with on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mens+clothing+dockers+pants&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

I find it wonderful that some like to shop in thrift stores and eBay while others don't... and in the same way, that some like to "dress up" and others to dress "normally". Personally, I focus on the conversation at my table much more than the attire of all around us.. We are returning to HAL (4 star Mariners) after several years hiatus having discovered cruising without being surrounded by smoke and the need to dress differently than we do in retirement life, a relaxing experience. We are delighted to be able to continue with this "vacation style" back on a HAL ship in a few days.

Okay, to be clear this was on an Alaskan cruise. Maybe the robes being worn is the norm in 4 and 5 Star resorts in Europe, but this was a US based cruise, where I don’t think wearing bathrobes in public areas other than the spa and pool is the norm. Doesn’t your comment work both ways? Shouldn’t non-US people also be expected to be “accepting of different practices” in our country that are different from theirs? I totally agree that when I visit another country, it is up to me to adapt to their norms and practices. I just think that consideration should work both ways. IMHO.

I believe that if you check, you will find that wearing bathrobes as cover ups to pools etc. is quite common in some 5 and 6 star resorts in Canada, US, and US Hawaii. This is not simply a European phenomenon, it was just an example.

Many Europeans may not be aware of how puritanical and narrow some customs are in parts of North America in the same way that many North Americans are not familiar with European customs before they visit.

Edited by iancal

Okay, to be clear this was on an Alaskan cruise. Maybe the robes being worn is the norm in 4 and 5 Star resorts in Europe, but this was a US based cruise, where I don’t think wearing bathrobes in public areas other than the spa and pool is the norm. Doesn’t your comment work both ways? Shouldn’t non-US people also be expected to be “accepting of different practices” in our country that are different from theirs? I totally agree that when I visit another country, it is up to me to adapt to their norms and practices. I just think that consideration should work both ways. IMHO.

No, I don't think "non-US people" should adapt to US practices when on a cruise that includes the US. How about we all just be ourselves and be accepting of one another. How on earth are we all supposed to know when we can wear a bathrobe in the US.

I believe that if you check, you will find that wearing bathrobes as cover ups to pools etc. is quite common in some 5 and 6 star resorts in Canada, US, and US Hawaii. This is not simply a European phenomenon, it was just an example.

Many Europeans may not be aware of how puritanical and narrow some customs are in parts of North America in the same way that many North Americans are not familiar with European customs before they visit.

More likely these comments may be the result of how few cruise ship passengers patronize five/six star resorts.

maybe he was a nudist and thought by wearing a robe he was conforming. just a thought!

We have done 4 Alaska cruises, dozens of Caribbean, Mexico, European, Pacific Coastal, and a couple of Canadian coastal ones and I can say from my experience that Alaska cruises are the least formal..much more focused on the amazing scenery and wild life. Back in the 80's when formal was really formal we often saw passengers in their bathrobes strolling the corridors...hopefully just going to the pool.but who knows?

Sorry, but I’ve never seen people hanging out in public areas like the cafes and hotel lobbies in their bathrobes in 5 Star resorts in the US, Canada, Hawaii or Mexico. Only in the pool and spa areas. In fact, the resorts I’ve been in would certainly have asked a guest to leave the public area if they were dressed in a robe and just hanging out reading the paper or drinking coffee (other than the spa or pool, as I’ve mentioned).

Sorry, but I’ve never seen people hanging out in public areas like the cafes and hotel lobbies in their bathrobes in 5 Star resorts in the US, Canada, Hawaii or Mexico. Only in the pool and spa areas. In fact, the resorts I’ve been in would certainly have asked a guest to leave the public area if they were dressed in a robe and just hanging out reading the paper or drinking coffee (other than the spa or pool, as I’ve mentioned).

Please note, I’m NOT talking against robes in the appropriate areas, like the spa and pool.

This thread was funny before - now it’s getting off the hook.

Nudists, bathrobes, 6* resorts, puritanical mores . . .

But wait! There’s more!

Oh definitely, there will be more! I tell what I think is a simple, comical story about a man in a robe and some have to opine and imply I’m not adaptable or tolerant of other customs and norms. Go figure! Right now it’s Martini time! [emoji483]

Regarding the bathrobe, I haven’t seen a post mentioning HAL guidelines for such. There seems to be support for the bathrobe, or tolerance of it in terms of international open-mindedness, it’s association with five star resorts, and perhaps the aforementioned MYOB outlook.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind bathrobes appearing in various parts of the ship. I might find it amusing, as I think MajMom may have to some degree (I think subsequent replies put a different spin on her post).

I have a bathrobe. Flannel. Plaid. It’s old, but I think it looks fine. It is not “distressed”.

I don’t pack a bathrobe. But I am curious, if I did, would it be okay to wear mine about the public areas of the ship?

Regarding the bathrobe, I haven’t seen a post mentioning HAL guidelines for such. There seems to be support for the bathrobe, or tolerance of it in terms of international open-mindedness, it’s association with five star resorts, and perhaps the aforementioned MYOB outlook.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind bathrobes appearing in various parts of the ship. I might find it amusing, as I think MajMom may have to some degree (I think subsequent replies put a different spin on her post).

I have a bathrobe. Flannel. Plaid. It’s old, but I think it looks fine. It is not “distressed”.

I don’t pack a bathrobe. But I am curious, if I did, would it be okay to wear mine about the public areas of the ship?

🤣🤣🤣you’re right, my initial post was because I found it humorous.

We could really care less if you wore your flannel bath robe to the pool, spa, or anywhere else on the cruise. We have no control over your attire, we mind our own business, and we simply make a decision to enjoy our cruise and not let what others wear or do impact that enjoyment.

What else are we supposed to do? Huff and puff and complain to others about it? No thanks. It comes down to our personal opinion and not judging others by our practices. No different than when we travel by land.

The memories that we bring back from a cruise are about good times with each other, other cruisers, the ship, and places we visit. They are not about someone wearing jeans somewhere or a tshirt, or bathrobe to the pool, or topless on the top deck, or whatever the issue de jour is. It they were, we may as well stay home.