Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

Sorry i didn’t mean to offend. My comment was intended to be tongue and cheek since the dress codes don’t make a distinction between acceptability of jeans based on price, just on condition. Of course your comment was relevant as this entire string was about jeans in the MDR.

I’m thankful for that distinction. Mine were six bucks at the thrift store, same as my gala night slacks. IMHO there is actually less pretentiousness with a traditional dress code. Put on my jacket and, voila, my style may not be impressing anyone except myself :cool:, but I’m “in”.

If HAL lists jeans as acceptable attire in the MDR on non formal nights why would anyone bother caring about whether or not some other cruiser did not like jeans or recommended that cruisers not wear them? It is only one person's optinion at the end of the day, and one person that you do not know. Certainly no more valid than another person's opinion.

If you like jeans and want to wear them on those nights then go ahead. If you want to wear something else, then knock yourself out and do so. No one really cares. Except perhaps those it seems who have an issue with HAL's version of acceptable attire.

If you don't like jeans, take it up with HAL.They publish the guidelines. If you think people are flaunting the guidelines, take it up with shipboard management.

I have 5 grandsons ranging in age from 22(next week) to 12. I know for a fact that each of them has a pair of nice pants and a colored shirt. Why is that such a big deal. If you're dining in the MDR which is a beautiful venue, they'll feel really good dressed nicely and out of those jeans. Just my opinion.

I have 5 grandsons ranging in age from 22(next week) to 12. I know for a fact that each of them has a pair of nice pants and a colored shirt. Why is that such a big deal. If you're dining in the MDR which is a beautiful venue, they'll feel really good dressed nicely and out of those jeans. Just my opinion.

Lot's of folks would feel "really good" wearing jeans. More "really good" than they would in a "nice pair of pants and a colored shirt".

What is 'feeling really good' have anything to do with what others want to wear or feel good wearing. Just because someone may feel 'really good' wearing a suit does not mean I will as well. Or anyone else for that matter.

It would be more than a little arrogant of me to believe that just because I felt 'really good' wearing something that everyone else on the ship should feel the same way and dress the same way.

What is 'feeling really good' have anything to do with what others want to wear or feel good wearing. Just because someone may feel 'really good' wearing a suit does not mean I will as well. Or anyone else for that matter.

It would be more than a little arrogant of me to believe that just because I felt 'really good' wearing something that everyone else on the ship should feel the same way and dress the same way.

I think mamaofami‘s post is relevant. Teenagers and young men can be flexible, not fixated on the jeans. In turn I might do well to reinforce their decision by choosing to exceed minimum expectations myself.

:)

I think it is bizarre that this conversation is still going on. Honestly, I had no intention of wearing jeans to dinner on our upcoming 18-day cruise, but now I CAN'T WAIT to pack a whole suitcase full of jeans.

Welcome to the Holland America world of fashion. It don't get any better than this. Should I bring up wearing my Bass Pro Shop cap in the MDR :eek:

I think it is bizarre that this conversation is still going on. Honestly, I had no intention of wearing jeans to dinner on our upcoming 18-day cruise, but now I CAN'T WAIT to pack a whole suitcase full of jeans.

I would take A Briefcase Full Of Blues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can believe that;there are a few(operative word being "few', but they're vocal)that would have HAL be a clone of Cunard. No thanks.;)

We have a few on the Viking board as well and Viking is casual with no Gala or dress up nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have a few on the Viking board as well and Viking is casual with no Gala or dress up nights.
I wonder what distinguishes certain experiences that make "a few" develop unfounded proprietary attitudes toward the providers of those experiences.

I bolded part of your post because it is woefully outdated. HAL now has Gala nights. Coats and ties are not required, and haven't been for some time. Gala nights require collared shirts and nice slacks (no jeans-- although jeans are allowed on non-Gala nights).

This is how confusion spreads.

Sorry to tell you this but we saw a few men in the MDR last week on Veendam wearing jeans on Gala night. Dockers type...not the high fashion type jeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to tell you this but we saw a few men in the MDR last week on Veendam wearing jeans on Gala night. Dockers type...not the high fashion type jeans.

Sorry to tell you but unless the HAL staff stops you at the heavily secured entry to the MDR you can wear whatever you wish. That's why it's call "As you wish Dining. :D

This seems like vengefulness against “fashion police” that are imagined in posts by a handful of people. You can’t find much disagreement that HAL’s guidelines are what need to be observed - there is just some sharing of opinions on what would be ideal. I’m sorry if you felt provoked.

To be more specific, Holland America's requirements are what needs to be complied with. People claiming others must observe more than the cruise line's requirements is how these threads get off track.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to tell you but unless the HAL staff stops you at the heavily secured entry to the MDR you can wear whatever you wish. That's why it's call "As you wish Dining. :D

And there you go. :D

HAL's written dress code and what happens on each ship can and will vary. ;)

I hope you had a great cruise Sheila!

This seems like vengefulness against “fashion police” that are imagined in posts by a handful of people. You can’t find much disagreement that HAL’s guidelines are what need to be observed - there is just some sharing of opinions on what would be ideal. I’m sorry if you felt provoked.

Oh honey...if you only knew how non-provoked I feel, and how little I care. We are going on vacation to have fun and relax. I actually came on this site to do some research, but it turns out to have been a ton of laughs among me and my friends, not to mention a fascinating sociological study. It's like Lord of the Flies up in here.

Look, by the time we get on the ship, we will have taken planes, trains, busses, and cabs. We're taking three weeks off of work and spending no small amount of money to see some really cool things, have some spouse's together time, relax, and LAUGH.

Y'all need to acquire some humor and perspective, and get over yourselves. You're nuts if you think some interweb stranger's opinion of what I should or shouldn't wear actually affects my reality.

By the way, I've narrowed down my Gala Night outfits, and am leaning toward this one. Thoughts?

https://postimg.cc/image/x2a73w5wr/

To be more specific, Holland America's requirements are what needs to be complied with. People claiming others must observe more than the cruise line's requirements is how these threads get off track.

Or do they get off track by people claiming that people claim that? I think this is mainly the case. :)

Anyway, I do agree with what I’d say is the substantive parts of your posts.

Or do they get off track by people claiming that people claim that? I think this is mainly the case. :)
A notion that is easily dispelled by the sixth post in this thread:

Jeans are not smart casual either.