Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

The term "fashion police" was not just invented for this single thread. It's been in use in all of the forums for years and years and accurately describes a type of person who wants to impose their ideals on everyone else.

The term "fashion police" was not just invented for this single thread. It's been in use in all of the forums for years and years and accurately describes a type of person who wants to impose their ideals on everyone else.

Agreed - but on this thread there have not been people who have tried to impose their ideals on everyone else. (Unless, of course, you are referring to people who seem to feel uncomfortable if they notice others around them who take more care about their appearance).

There has, however, been a number of posters who use the term "fashion police" to denigrate people who just express a preference for dressing THEMSELVES in a particular manner.

Have you seen any who prefer a more casual standard tell anyone they cannot wear their tuxedo?

As has been mentioned, I have definitely seen folks talk about how a tuxedo is 'stupid', 'outdated', 'unnecessary', 'over dressed', etc, etc..

And I don't think folks are saying that 'people cannot wear more formal attire', just that it's not a good idea to do so.

Agreed - but on this thread there have not been people who have tried to impose their ideals on everyone else. (Unless, of course, you are referring to people who seem to feel uncomfortable if they notice others around them who take more care about their appearance).

Just yesterday there was this post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56163672&postcount=193

There has, however, been a number of posters who use the term "fashion police" to denigrate people who just express a preference for dressing THEMSELVES in a particular manner.

The phrase "...people who seem to feel uncomfortable if they notice others around them who take more care about their appearance..." is exactly the kind of comment meant to denigrate others.

Why on earth would anyone care what someone else wears in the MDR or what someone else's children/grandchildren wear in the MDR? The guidelines are not difficult to understand or follow for that matter. It is hardly rocket science. It is a vacation after all, not a LSAT or a job interview.

Relax, far too many uptight, anal people. Just get on the ship, be yourself, be considerate of others, MYOB, and have a great time.

I think “be considerate of others” is the operative phrase here. Unfortunately there’s a lot of the “me generation” reflected in these posts. 🤣🤣

The "fashion police" exist as well you know.

When posters claim they do not wear pants suitable for yardwork (blue jeans) on a cruise, they have beyond simply mentioning how they dress.

I have yet to see where one of those who prefer to dress casually make derogatory comments about those who prefer to dress more formally. The casual dressers, IMHO, are more accepting of the preferences of others.

YMMV.

So you don’t think tagging someone who expresses the desire to dress nicely for the MDR as “fashion police” is not derogatory? Generally “tagging” anyone with a name intended to be negative is considered derogatory. I have yet to see a negative term created for those who prefer push the limits of dressing casually. And dressing casually is not the issue, as long as “casual” meets HALs definition which is clearly stated in their dress code.

Well said!

I think “be considerate of others” is the operative phrase here. Unfortunately there’s a lot of the “me generation” reflected in these posts. 🤣🤣

How does consideration of others become a part of this discussion?

Aren't those who insist upon telling others how to dress reflecting their version of the "me generation"?

Looking good. 13 pages. Was hoping for 15 by Memorial Day but 13 isn't too shabby.

25 by The Fourth of July?

We can hope.

C'mon Man ! dogo88, this hear is a serious topic. Dressing brings the best out of our fellow CC members.

Bottom line. If you don't like the way someone dresses in the MDR you can:

1. Eat dinner in the Lido every night

2. Don't sell on Holland America (of course you face the same problem on all other cruise lines)

Bottom line, HAL has dress rules along with all cruise lines; if they don't enforce the rules, so be it.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE !

C'mon Man ! dogo88, this hear is a serious topic. Dressing brings the best out of our fellow CC members.

2. Don't sell on Holland America (of course you face the same problem on all other cruise lines)

Bottom line, HAL has dress rules along with all cruise lines; if they don't enforce the rules, so be it.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE !

Well at least you’re acknowledging that there are rules that people are obviously choosing to ignore. That’s a start! Sort of like when you break the speed limit. It doesn’t make you right, it just makes you lucky. Hahaha! (Laugh people, this is my contribution to reaching the goal of 25 page!)

Then why are you still here?

LOL! Good question! [emoji848]. I don’t know...avoiding having to unpack? Avoiding sorting through the mail after being away? I can think of a few more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE !

Red,

Not complaining at all.

This serious topic needs to gets it's true value realized. To do that we need posts! Topics of 3-4 pages are just so meh.

The smoking topic was legend. This one has all the potential to surpass it. Especially now that folks are wondering why they are here at all.

They will return.

Here's my opinion on the dress code "rules" as set forth in the guidelines. It HAL or for that matter any cruise line want to actually impose limits on what people can or can not wear, then they should enforce those "rules" as written and not leave it up to someone else to make up their own rules. If those people fail to enforce the rules as written then those people should be replaced by someone who will abide by the cruise line rules. I think this is true of all rules. If you make a rule, enforce it, or don't make it a rule. If you want to make a suggestion then that's fine,but it's not a rule, and would allow the passenger to make their own decision as to what is appropriate. I agree that the restrictions that are in the HAL guidelines make some things rules, but if so they should be enforced as written or removed and re-written. The problem for the cruise line is that some will be offended either way and could hurt their bottom line.

Red,

Not complaining at all.

This serious topic needs to gets it's true value realized. To do that we need posts! Topics of 3-4 pages are just so meh.

The smoking topic was legend. This one has all the potential to surpass it. Especially now that folks are wondering why they are here at all.

They will return.

I understand dogo88. I was trying to be a little satirical. I agree the smoking topics were legendary. How 'bout those wearing baseball caps; now that hits home. I enjoy wearing them pretty much anywhere.

Edited by RedneckBob
Delete

Any one have ideas about why dress code threads become so more divisive and raucous in the Holland forum versus, RCI or X?

All three have dress code threads that can become heated at times, and there's little difference in the issues. For example, Celebrity does allow jean on what used to be formal nights, but they have to be "designer jeans." As you can imagine, that leaves lots of room for debate!

Any one have ideas about why dress code threads become so more divisive and raucous in the Holland forum versus, RCI or X?

Because of the chutzpah of people like you!

No. Seriously, if I had to guess, it’s because HAL’s stated dress code has seen a bit more flux compared to those lines.

I think they’re pretty divisive on the other lines too. I know that RCI updated their dress code in 2017 to specifically state “shorts are not allowed in the main dining room for dinner”. That one always gets some people going. At least on HAL, it doesn’t seem as though anyone is considering shorts at dinner. Jeans I can live with. 🤣🤣