Koningsdam Single Cabins and Rooms

SLOTheta

Hello!

I searched on CC for feedback and pricing for the K single cabins for solar travelers. The last thread was from 2016 with no recent updates. Has anyone traveled in one recently? How was the pricing compared to a double occupancy cabin?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For my cruise to Norway last June, it ended up being cheaper getting an obstructed balcony by myself rather than the single cabin (plus I had a balcony vs a window at the very front of the ship where the motion and noise can be greater - from the World Stage and waves hitting the hull etc).

Thanks, everyone! Our PCC also recommended not booking a single occupancy room since they are all more expensive than the cheapest double occupancy room. I’m going to try to see if my friends who don’t know each other to bunk up. It just seems nuts that HAL is charging more for a singleton than they would for two people in a room. I guess the potential of spending more is more of a motivator than appealing to a single cruisers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It just seems nuts that HAL is charging more for a singleton than they would for two people in a room.
It's more expensive for a solo than it is per person in a double, but the total for the double room is more. For example, I just tried a dummy booking for a 10-day K-dam cruise Jan 2, 2020. Single room 1011 is $3364. The double next door, 1013, is $1894 per person, or $3788 for the cabin for two. 1013 is $3623 as a solo with a supplement. Edited by catl331

It's more expensive for a solo than it is per person in a double, but the total for the double room is more.

That isn't always the case, and the solo rooms can be a rip off. As Roy mentioned, you really need to do a mock booking for each individual cruise to determine if it's worth it or not.

Roz

It's more expensive for a solo than it is per person in a double, but the total for the double room is more. For example, I just tried a dummy booking for a 10-day K-dam cruise Jan 2, 2020. Single room 1011 is $3364. The double next door, 1013, is $1894 per person, or $3788 for the cabin for two. 1013 is $3623 as a solo with a supplement.

It appears that for your cruise, you do get a little break. Unfortunately, for our cruise, our singles are out of luck

Our PCC ran the numbers and I also did a mock booking for our 2019 cruise:

Category OO is the single category: $4599

Category “J” interior for single or double is guest is $4038

She also mentioned that the Single Rooms are located all the way in the front on deck 1 and much smaller than a regular interior room.

I regularly cruise with my parents but in my own room, and we've found twice now on the Koningsdam that the single cabin was more expensive than paying the single supplement for a two-person inside cabin. It sounds insane to me but having the extra space is nice.

It appears that for your cruise, you do get a little break. Unfortunately, for our cruise, our singles are out of luck

Our PCC ran the numbers and I also did a mock booking for our 2019 cruise:

Category OO is the single category: $4599

Category “J” interior for single or double is guest is $4038

She also mentioned that the Single Rooms are located all the way in the front on deck 1 and much smaller than a regular interior room.

I think the single room will be roomier than the double insides. Something to consider as well. You would get more room in an oceanview double.

I regularly cruise with my parents but in my own room, and we've found twice now on the Koningsdam that the single cabin was more expensive than paying the single supplement for a two-person inside cabin. It sounds insane to me but having the extra space is nice.

It boggles my mind that cruise lines essentially punish singletons. I’m connecting our singles with others so they can save some money on our cruise. I feel bad that we have to resort to cruise match making!

It boggles my mind that cruise lines essentially punish singletons. I’m connecting our singles with others so they can save some money on our cruise. I feel bad that we have to resort to cruise match making!

Unfortunately, that's the revenue model for most cruise lines. They make their money from onboard spending and depend on having full capacity (2 per cabin in most cases) to achieve profitability.

I've also had it happen on other lines where a solo cabin is not necessarily cheaper for one person than an inexpensive double room, especially if the double room is not subject to the full 200% solo supplement.

The joys of traveling solo....:loudcry:

... the single cabin was more expensive than paying the single supplement for a two-person inside cabin. It sounds insane to me ...
Makes sense to me, since the solo cabin is an OV. How does the solo price compare to the lowest OV with a supplement?

Judging by deck plans 1011 and 1018 are just about the same size as all other OV on that deck except the Family (FA,FB) cabins. Edited by catl331