UK vs US pricing

Mynki

I guess this is a thread for the Brits on this board who pay attention to both US and UK prices.

Historically it's usually been cheaper to book a Celebrity cruise via a US TA for us Brits. Occasionally UK prices / deals are better but these tend to be on sailings leaving the UK or when Celebrity has a genuine buy one get one free offer.

However I've noticed recently that there are some deals which are much better value for us when booked with Celebrity UK (Or a UK travel agent) than in the US. These also include ABTA and if you're booking flights ATOL protection which you don't get in the US.

I'll use a 11 night Summit sailing as an example. Using today's exchange rate of £1 = $1.316 (Using xe.com).

The 12 night AQ1 room costs $949 per person with a perk of $225 OBC in the US.

The same sailing costs £509 ($670) when booked in the UK but comes with a classic drinks package which has an actual value of $1320 which is almost the cost of the UK cruise!

The image below shows pricing for different rooms. The US $ column is what you pay in the US. The GBP sterling price is what we pay here in the UK. There are no perks detailed here but I've checked websites here and in the US to see what is currently being offered.

The question is, is the this a sign of things to come?

usermedia.php?uo=NuVqmzAy%2FKwWs8FDWoTwpYh4l5k2TGxc#.WejWEltSzIU

Edited by Mynki

Summit maybe cheaper, but consider the airfare from the U.K. to SJ in the current climate - much more of a risk for us than for those in the US that are able to change/divert at short notice and less cost.

I also be wary using CF to compare as lately the pricing doesn’t appear to be correct in all instances ;). Many cabins seem to be showing the same pricing for different categories i.e. all balconies (from 2D to 1A) at exactly the same price, yet are not when you check with cruise line’s pricing?

Summit maybe cheaper, but consider the airfare from the U.K. to SJ in the current climate - much more of a risk for us than for those in the US that are able to change/divert at short notice and less cost.

I also be wary using CF to compare as lately the pricing doesn’t appear to be correct in all instances ;). Many cabins seem to be showing the same pricing for different categories i.e. all balconies (from 2D to 1A) at exactly the same price, yet are not when you check with cruise line’s pricing?

I was waiting for an airfare comment. :) But we nearly always have to fly so it's not an issue for us as we still have to book flights regardless.

I've seen some very weird issues with pricing on that site too it does experience problems from time to time but I did check the prices by asking for a quote from the biggest American TA and actually ended up booking with Celebrity UK so it all checks out. There are a few more I've looked at and obtained quotes for from US TA's etc. It is cheaper to book them here for sure.

BUT... as I've always said people need to check each individual cruise on its own merit and never make sweeping statements on pricing. That pic was saved a couple of days ago though so some rooms may have gone etc as that trip is now past final payment date.

I recently got a cruise price reduced and an upgrade to aqua, without losing my deposit from the UK celebrity phone line.

It can be done, I just wish it was automatic like in US.

It is certainly stopping me booking for future cruise well in advance.

I recently got a cruise price reduced and an upgrade to aqua, without losing my deposit from the UK celebrity phone line.

It can be done, I just wish it was automatic like in US.

It is certainly stopping me booking for future cruise well in advance.

Luckily, for you, you were initially transferred to X in the US :cool:. Now we all need to time our phone calls to do that :D.

We have had recently had similar experience. For last 4 or 5 years we have been cruising with Celebrity we have checked UK and US TA pricing and have always found US TA considerably cheaper, and hence that's where we booked.

However, few months back we booked Equinox in April 18 and found the UK website very competitive and ended up booking with agent over the phone.

I believe exchange rates may be in partly responsible for this.

Sorry, I misunderstood the SJ comment. This was a big concern as we're travelling there soon. One of the reasons I wanted to book air through Celebrity UK was for the ATOL and ABTA protections knowing that if anything goes wrong we're covered. That said, the airport is now fully functioning. Celebrity themselves have hotel rooms available, though on a limited basis and we booked transfers through them too so I feel safe after reading some of the horror stories on the role calls from people booking everything themselves.

That said, the same costs do appear on some other ships. Even those sailing as far ahead as 2019. Celebrity UK is at this time beating the big box US TA's. So, Brits really should pay attention to both IMHO.

Even those sailing as far ahead as 2019. Celebrity UK is at this time beating the big box US TA's. So, Brits really should pay attention to both IMHO.

I don't disagree with this - but I think we shouldn't have to. 'Level playing field' and all that!

When I book with Marriott (international but US-based), which I do frequently, I am booking with the same t&cs as those anywhere else in the world, or so I believe. I'm happy to pay in dollars in the US, euros when in Europe and sterling for a UK booking.

The affluent younger generation, who the cruise lines are increasingly trying to attract, are far more internet-savvy than many current cruisers, and will find this unfavourable treatment of non-north American cruisers (which is all too clear to see on these boards) off-putting. I certainly do, and don't see why I should have to book with an American TA, which I have done in the past, to receive the same treatment. I like to have control of my booking.

Today's rant over.

I agree totally with Mrs Goggins. I don't check $ to £ comparison when booking with Celebrity and I have never used a USA T/A as I am not confident in choosing a reputable agent plus I like control of my booking, however, I do get slightly annoyed when USA cc members get the automatic price drops up to final payment and UK cruisers just have to take it as unfortunate if a cruise price drops from the time of booking. I also have a current annoyance that as I prefer to book online ( my choice I know) I did not qualify for the captains club one category cabin upgrade for our cruise in 2 weeks. When I emailed, after making the booking and realising others had this "perk" on the same cruise, I was informed that it had to be requested at the time of booking and could not be applied retrospectively. I had input my Captain Club reference at the time of booking and ideally this should have been automatically calculated in the price but hey I am going on a cruise and my rant is over.

I agree totally with Mrs Goggins. I don't check $ to £ comparison when booking with Celebrity and I have never used a USA T/A as I am not confident in choosing a reputable agent plus I like control of my booking, however, I do get slightly annoyed when USA cc members get the automatic price drops up to final payment and UK cruisers just have to take it as unfortunate if a cruise price drops from the time of booking.

You're not alone. Many people are not confident in booking with a foreign TA. But I should add, that no one gets an automatic price drop. You need to call the US TA who then effectively cancels the booking and rebooks at the new rate. It is down to the individual to monitor pricing and pro actively rebook etc.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "take control of my booking"? The TA's offer pretty much all of the excursion bookings etc and from what I've found can be quicker and easier to get additional things booked than when booking with Celebrity direct so it's probably a case of swings and roundabouts.

I also have a current annoyance that as I prefer to book online ( my choice I know) I did not qualify for the captains club one category cabin upgrade for our cruise in 2 weeks. When I emailed, after making the booking and realising others had this "perk" on the same cruise, I was informed that it had to be requested at the time of booking and could not be applied retrospectively. I had input my Captain Club reference at the time of booking and ideally this should have been automatically calculated in the price but hey I am going on a cruise and my rant is over.

That would be nice, perhaps the website should make you aware of your one category upgrade if available and give you the option to change if you want to whilst still charging you the lower rate. Sadly I think this might be asking a lot from the infamous Celebrity IT dept!

I don't disagree with this - but I think we shouldn't have to. 'Level playing field' and all that!

When I book with Marriott (international but US-based), which I do frequently, I am booking with the same t&cs as those anywhere else in the world, or so I believe. I'm happy to pay in dollars in the US, euros when in Europe and sterling for a UK booking.

The affluent younger generation, who the cruise lines are increasingly trying to attract, are far more internet-savvy than many current cruisers, and will find this unfavourable treatment of non-north American cruisers (which is all too clear to see on these boards) off-putting. I certainly do, and don't see why I should have to book with an American TA, which I have done in the past, to receive the same treatment. I like to have control of my booking.

Today's rant over.

I don't disagree with what you're saying either. However speaking as a natural born pragmatist my thoughts were, if you can't beat them, join them.

I agree totally with Mrs Goggins. I don't check $ to £ comparison when booking with Celebrity and I have never used a USA T/A as I am not confident in choosing a reputable agent plus I like control of my booking, however, I do get slightly annoyed when USA cc members get the automatic price drops up to final payment and UK cruisers just have to take it as unfortunate if a cruise price drops from the time of booking. I also have a current annoyance that as I prefer to book online ( my choice I know) I did not qualify for the captains club one category cabin upgrade for our cruise in 2 weeks. When I emailed, after making the booking and realising others had this "perk" on the same cruise, I was informed that it had to be requested at the time of booking and could not be applied retrospectively. I had input my Captain Club reference at the time of booking and ideally this should have been automatically calculated in the price but hey I am going on a cruise and my rant is over.

hiya...i emailed captains club before booking online about the 1 category upgrade.. and she told me it was fine to book online and then ring captains club after booking and they would alter the price. we ended up booking late on a sunday night, and when i rang the next day she told me it was too late as i should have rung straight after booking.( which they didn't initially tell me...just said "after booking").. i explained that i tried to ring but they were shut, and she then proceeded to amend the price down to the category below

Sorry, I misunderstood the SJ comment. This was a big concern as we're travelling there soon. One of the reasons I wanted to book air through Celebrity UK was for the ATOL and ABTA protections knowing that if anything goes wrong we're covered. That said, the airport is now fully functioning. Celebrity themselves have hotel rooms available, though on a limited basis and we booked transfers through them too so I feel safe after reading some of the horror stories on the role calls from people booking everything themselves.

That said, the same costs do appear on some other ships. Even those sailing as far ahead as 2019. Celebrity UK is at this time beating the big box US TA's. So, Brits really should pay attention to both IMHO.

I always check pricing on both side of the pond and do take into consideration all the extra perks. Often the price may be slightly cheaper here, but I don’t get the amount of OBC like I do booking in the US. It’s swings and roundabouts- some you win, and some you lose :cool:.

Over the years we have booked cruises via both USA and UK sites - plus direct with Celebrity. We like To go on vacations and would love to build one of those little domed houses out of Ice Blocks that Eskimos like to live in - Brrrrrr.

We have had some very good deals via the USA, but since sterling collapsed these have disappeared unless there is some sort of natural disaster such as hurricanes. The security of our bookings has never worried us as in the UK we have the protection of paying by credit card under what we know as the consumer credit act and in the event of a T/A or cruise company going bust our credit card company would have to refund us.

Many of our best deals from the USA T/A sites are where we put the package together ourselves, but with airlines in a race to the bottom and complete booking meltdowns in the UK delaying flights for days , that has become more risky.

Celebrity are not stupid and not all UK cruises , such as the Canaries around Sept / Oct are not available on USA sites. You might have thought this would be cheap bearing in mind the cost of flights to the UK. Also Princess do not allow UK residents to book on USA sites. I know people who have used USA friends to make these bookings, using their home address.

The question is how do you value your time . If you want to spend the remainder of your life checking cruise prices you will find a bargain, on for a few hours at some point, on some site.

Bargains normally come around the time that the final payment is due, where the Cruise is not sold out. November / December is often a good time for those of us in the UK as "Thanksgiving" means that less of our North American friends travel at that time. I have often found our best deals in the months leading up to Christmas. We are off to the Middle East late Nov which we booked direct with Celebrity UK.

If you see a bargain always check the climate. I nearly booked a far east cruise once in Feb / early March and then found that Korea and China where ****** freezing. Trust no- one

Happy Bargain Hunting

We have had some very good deals via the USA, but since sterling collapsed these have disappeared unless there is some sort of natural disaster such as hurricanes. The security of our bookings has never worried us as in the UK we have the protection of paying by credit card under what we know as the consumer credit act and in the event of a T/A or cruise company going bust our credit card company would have to refund us.

Be careful if you are booking via a third party ie a travel agent the consumer credit act which covers the use of credit cards may NOT apply if you have paid via a third party.

This from Which on section 75

Payments through an agent or third party

It's not unusual for a business taking payment to be acting as an agent for the actual supplier. In this circumstance, Section 75 may not apply and you may not be able to claim against the credit card provider.

A good example of this is when you buy concert tickets. If you buy direct from the venue, then Section 75 may apply if the cost is over £100. If you buy through a ticket agency, then it may not.

This is because the card provider may argue that as payment wasn't made directly to the supplier of the goods or service, Section 75 doesn't apply.

So where possible, make any credit card payment direct to the company actually supplying the goods or services.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act

I am no expert in law just reading and noting for my benefit and perhaps others.

When we book through a US ta the credit card is charged directly by the cruiseline, unlike the UK where payment is made to the ta

Correct, direct to the cruise line and your reservation is available on line instantly (well if the website works :D).

We check the UK and USA prices / perks BUT we also check the websites for Spain, Netherlands etc.

Our cruise starting this saturday was booked via Celebrity Spanish office and we saved £££££ (well euros anyway)

You need something like tunnelbear to access the foreign websites (and google translate)

For even better deals we always now Book Onboard taking the bonus obc there and then. Celebrity are still using the 1.69:1 exchange rate for the deposit, hence you only pay £148 for a $250obc - better than any ATM. (that’s a 14day Balcony cabin rate)

Onboard booking T&C are still different between the US and UK, you are still not allowed price drops unless you cancel and rebook. But there is nothing to stop you booking a second ‘Cruise Now’ reservation which allows a change of ship / sail date numerous times without penalty. So using one cruise to change to the other achieves the desired result of getting the new price drop rate.

Obviously you will need to spend the obc as it is non- refundable, we had $500 obc when we booked 2 CRuise Now bookings. We bought an iPad Pro which was much cheaper than the UK so it was a win-win for us.

Edited by mickey89

I check both and I would say that the USA are almost always cheaper (and more flexible). However there are some itineraries which do not seem to appeal to USA clients - eg Dubai - so the prices are always better for these in the UK.

I have spent the morning pricing up a cruise for 2019 - the UK price is £800($1000) cheaper than in the US at the mo, with both offering the same perks, so it looks like UK gets my booking this time!

I check both and I would say that the USA are almost always cheaper (and more flexible). However there are some itineraries which do not seem to appeal to USA clients - eg Dubai - so the prices are always better for these in the UK.

I have spent the morning pricing up a cruise for 2019 - the UK price is £800($1000) cheaper than in the US at the mo, with both offering the same perks, so it looks like UK gets my booking this time!

Just be careful with this as I did exactly the same for a cruise to Dubai/India and booked onboard for a U.K. reservation, instead of my usual US route, thinking that it would not drop in price to that of what the rate was in the US at the time (especially as it was a Christmas booking too, which usually maintain the prices well) - and I’m talking of a difference of around £3500 for my particular booking. Unfortunately, the prices plummeted and it did in fact continue to keep falling. Luckily, it was an onboard booking, so we were able to move it (there were other issues and we didn't just transfer it due to the price drop alone), but I wouldn’t have had half the hassle if I’d reserved in the US. My booking was made as soon as the itinerary was released as I believed the price wouldn’t drop to the levels it did ;).

It’s swings and roundabouts - some you win and some you lose. I’m only mentioning my experience just to give you the heads up ;).