Midnight buffets on FOS?

Just wondering if the midnight buffets referred to in a much earlier post are still being offered? The other post said 1 at midnight on a formal night - but she wasn't sure which formal night (with pretty food to take pictures of) and another midnight pool buffet. Anyone recently on FOS, that can confirm if these buffets are being currently offered or have been discontinued? I'm a foodie and love to take pictures... Thanks:)

Just wondering if the midnight buffets referred to in a much earlier post are still being offered? The other post said 1 at midnight on a formal night - but she wasn't sure which formal night (with pretty food to take pictures of) and another midnight pool buffet. Anyone recently on FOS, that can confirm if these buffets are being currently offered or have been discontinued? I'm a foodie and love to take pictures... Thanks:)

Discontinued many moons ago.

I'm a foodie and love to take pictures...

I hear you and assume you mean the gala buffets of yesteryear where they let you through first to take pictures, then let you back in to demolish it. :D As stated, nope - they are long gone due to cost and waste issues. But there will be a late night pool party or something similar; read your Cruise Compass for the details. :)

Thanks for replies. I was planning on taking food pictures & get entertaining ideas for selection /display of food. Wasn't planning on eating - usually only have 2 meals/day while on vacation anyway - especially when it is hot. (From Western Canada) It is nice to see a large selection of artistically arranged items together. Was hoping to see / photograph carved fruits, various trays etc. Not sure how food is displayed in Windjammer buffet? is it cafeteria/ steam table layout? First time cruiser.... Thanks for responding.:)

Thanks for replies. I was planning on taking food pictures & get entertaining ideas for selection /display of food. Wasn't planning on eating - usually only have 2 meals/day while on vacation anyway - especially when it is hot. (From Western Canada) It is nice to see a large selection of artistically arranged items together. Was hoping to see / photograph carved fruits, various trays etc. Not sure how food is displayed in Windjammer buffet? is it cafeteria/ steam table layout? First time cruiser.... Thanks for responding.:)

Neither were many other people. I suspect that is why the gala buffet is gone.

The Freedom has a "Dancing Under the Stars" event in the cruise compass on of the nights around midnight. (May be on a formal night.) There was one or two tables set up with limited food options.

On the last sea day in the afternoon, there was a food carving demonstration of making animals out of fruit. This was on the Royal Promenade. They used to have the midnight buffet on formal nights for the Majesty and Monarch.

100_4865.jpg.45d467449af9654714bfc5442e4d6ae9.jpg

FOS will have the café promenade open all the time there you can get pizza, pastries, cookies, muffins, salads, grilled veggies, mini sandwiches, etc.

I think FOS has pizza in Sorrentos instead of CP, and Sorrentos is not open 24 hours like CP is.

I'll never forget on the Big Red Boat, umpteen years ago, they had a cake decorated like a chessboard, and the chess pieces were dark and white chocolate.

It was gorgeous!

Sorry-got sidetracked, it's just funny that I remember that almost 20 years later! :)

The question I ask is "Who really needs to be eating that late"?

Regularly, no one - but this is vacation.

One of the highlights each day (night) of my last cruise was waiting up for my daughter to return from the teen lounge at somewhere around midnight and going to the Park Cafe for a midnight snack. Going to a midnight buffet with some better variety of food would have been a very nice alternate on one or two nights. I do remember the midnight buffets on my earlier cruises -- I was one of those passengers that actually partook in the food - and enjoyed the display & ice sculptures. On the other hand, my DW would have one chocolate dipped strawberry and be full).

The Freedom has a "Dancing Under the Stars" event in the cruise compass on of the nights around midnight. (May be on a formal night.) There was one or two tables set up with limited food options.

On the last sea day in the afternoon, there was a food carving demonstration of making animals out of fruit. This was on the Royal Promenade. They used to have the midnight buffet on formal nights for the Majesty and Monarch.

The buffet set up on the royal promenade is a good time to take pics of the food carvings. I got several good pics on our recent FOS cruise. Also, a chef was doing the food sculptures for people to watch and take pics. I will post a few if I can figure out how on here. Have never posted pics on here before.

In late April and early May, FOS had a "somewhat" midnight buffet once each week on Dancing Under the Stars night. The food spread was limited (more like little bites), but there was a fairly nice presentation of fruit art and ice sculptures. It was a nice "tip of the hat" to the midnight buffets of old that were frankly ridiculous and a giant waste of food because everyone went to take pictures, not to eat.

For pics, see the review linked in my sig.

I just had a look at the Compass.... they call it FreedomFEST. Food, fun, games, entertainment. I missed this as I was on the 'Behind the Scenes' Tour.

The buffet set up on the royal promenade is a good time to take pics of the food carvings. I got several good pics on our recent FOS cruise. Also, a chef was doing the food sculptures for people to watch and take pics. I will post a few if I can figure out how on here. Have never posted pics on here before.

They had a buffet on the Royal Promenade? Was it raining or something outside? I have never seen this happen.

They had a buffet on the Royal Promenade? Was it raining or something outside? I have never seen this happen.

Not sure if this is new or not. It was the first time I have been on the Freedom. It was the last sea day around lunch time. They had various tables set up all over the royal promenade with food and servers. Also had 2 ice carvings and different food carvings at each end of that beautiful bridge at the end of the promenade and someone on the bridge doing food sculptures. I don't believe it was in the compass and I would have missed it except i spent time there every day people watching. :)

Archived