ShoreX Credit

calabash

As part of the "Free at Sea" we received $50. credit for every NCL shore excursion. When I booked our excursions the cost did not reflect the $50 credit. I called and was told that this we would receive this credit to use on the ship.and any credit that we did not use would be refunded at the end of the cruise. While looking for the answer on the NCL website I came across this " shore credit has no monetary value and is not refundable". Isn't this contradictory? How does one receive shore excursion credit?. Thanks.

As part of the "Free at Sea" we received $50. credit for every NCL shore excursion. When I booked our excursions the cost did not reflect the $50 credit. I called and was told that this we would receive this credit to use on the ship.and any credit that we did not use would be refunded at the end of the cruise. While looking for the answer on the NCL website I came across this " shore credit has no monetary value and is not refundable". Isn't this contradictory? How does one receive shore excursion credit?. Thanks.

I recently upgraded to a balcony and this is one of my free at sea. I called the shore excursion desk since I had already paid for my excursions. She told me the $50 would be credited after we take the excursions. Anything we don't use will be refunded to us. I asked if it could be deducted for the daily service charges and she said yes, so I am hoping that is what the credit will be used for.

I was under the impression the $50 shore excursion credits were "use it or lose it" at each port. max of one credit per port, unable to be combined. not eligible for onboard charges.

we got the distinctive voyage 5 free at sea, so I'm not too worried about the shore credits. we will probably do our own thing at most stops, but will consider best catamaran option of trip.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

If the Shore Excursion department told you that, whoever told you that just does not know, or simply lied to you. Obviously you need to go by the terms and conditions associated with that perk. If you do not take a NCL purchased excursion, you lose the credit for that port. There is no cash value, so nothing to be refunded.

I recently upgraded to a balcony and this is one of my free at sea. I called the shore excursion desk since I had already paid for my excursions. She told me the $50 would be credited after we take the excursions. Anything we don't use will be refunded to us. I asked if it could be deducted for the daily service charges and she said yes, so I am hoping that is what the credit will be used for.

It is a credit, and you receive it on your final bill. But it's not your money, and you don't get anything refunded to you if you don't use it.

That service agent was obviously terribly confused or very poorly trained. The shore excursion credit cannot be used for anything except as a credit for the cost of shore excursions booked through NCL.

As part of the "Free at Sea" we received $50. credit for every NCL shore excursion. When I booked our excursions the cost did not reflect the $50 credit. I called and was told that this we would receive this credit to use on the ship.and any credit that we did not use would be refunded at the end of the cruise.

Not true; it is $50 PER PORT even if there is an overnight stop and you do a shorex each day.

The best method is to phone Shorex in Miami and RESERVE your shorex, do not pay for them. Then they will be charged on your folio when you board at the quoted price (less any Latitudes benefits). Then AFTER you have done the shorex your folio will be credited with "up to" $50 per cabin.

They do it this way in the hope that you will spend the credit on board as if it is OBC, don't be fooled.

However if you book and pay before you board then the refund does appear as OBC; there is lots of discussion as to whether that will be classified as refundable or non-refundable OBC. I have not seen any posts confirming one way or other. BUT the wording implies it is non-refundable.

Follow the instructions on how to use the credit below. Regardless of what people have told you on the phone (remember you are talking to minimum wage call center people) or what “good advice” you get on CC, not following thw written terms and conditions of the promotion may result in forfeiture of the credit.

1) you can not book the shore ex yourself. It can ONLY ave redeemed by calling the number below or booking onboard. And they will not charge you for the excursions in advance.

2) overnight stays count as one shore ex (not 2). Except for the 3-day Bermuda stops.

3) you must actually complete the shore ex to get the credit. It will be posted to your account by the last night of the cruise.

Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion credit.

Shore excursion credit can only be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard.

Ok, I hadn't thought about this yet. For our Bermuda cruise, we are there for 3 days but only get 1 $50 credit for the cabin. That's a pretty nonsense perk :-)

As part of the "Free at Sea" we received $50. credit for every NCL shore excursion. When I booked our excursions the cost did not reflect the $50 credit. I called and was told that this we would receive this credit to use on the ship.and any credit that we did not use would be refunded at the end of the cruise.

Not true; it is $50 PER PORT even if there is an overnight stop and you do a shorex each day.

The best method is to phone Shorex in Miami and RESERVE your shorex, do not pay for them. Then they will be charged on your folio when you board at the quoted price (less any Latitudes benefits). Then AFTER you have done the shorex your folio will be credited with "up to" $50 per cabin.

They do it this way in the hope that you will spend the credit on board as if it is OBC, don't be fooled.

However if you book and pay before you board then the refund does appear as OBC; there is lots of discussion as to whether that will be classified as refundable or non-refundable OBC. I have not seen any posts confirming one way or other. BUT the wording implies it is non-refundable.

Ok, I hadn't thought about this yet. For our Bermuda cruise, we are there for 3 days but only get 1 $50 credit for the cabin. That's a pretty nonsense perk :-)

no, you get $50 each day of Bermuda. You cannot combine them to use all in one day tho.

If the Shore Excursion department told you that, whoever told you that just does not know, or simply lied to you. Obviously you need to go by the terms and conditions associated with that perk. If you do not take a NCL purchased excursion, you lose the credit for that port. There is no cash value, so nothing to be refunded.

I think what the Shore Excursion department and OP meant is each NCL shore excursion that the OP has already paid for will be refunded $50 in the form of OBC on the ship after they have taken the excursion and any of this OBC that is not spent on the ship will be refunded- not that $50 for each port whether they take an NCL excursion will be refunded. The OBC will be refundable because the OP already paid for the excursion before the cruise.

I think ....

The OBC will be refundable ....

I am still waiting to have confirmation from someone who actually paid for the shorex before cruising and had the $50 credited to their account that the excess was actually refundable. Not had that done so far.

I think what the Shore Excursion department and OP meant is each NCL shore excursion that the OP has already paid for will be refunded $50 in the form of OBC on the ship after they have taken the excursion and any of this OBC that is not spent on the ship will be refunded- not that $50 for each port whether they take an NCL excursion will be refunded. The OBC will be refundable because the OP already paid for the excursion before the cruise.

The OP should cancel the existing ShoreEx and book it correctly through the ShoreEx promotion number above.

We just had this same discussion on another thread. I have a Baltic cruise booked for August. I have the "distinctive voyages" package, with the $50 shore excursion credit per port. I had booked our 4 NCL excursions through the website, which means I would have $50 x 4 or $200 per cabin obc. (2 cabins booked)

After discussion on the other thread, I have now called the shore excursion desk 3 times, and have gotten the same answer from 3 different people: As we paid for the excursions by credit card online, after each excursion the $50 will be refunded to our onboard account as refundable obc. If we do not use it all onboard, it will be refunded to our credit card, or on the last evening we can go down to Guest Services, show our i.d., and they will give us the cash back.

This is totally different than the $100 obc we will be getting per cabin as a perk for our distinctive voyage cruise. That obc is "use it or lose it."

Now - will we get the $400 back if we do not use it onboard? I can only hope we will - but as we were going to take those excursions with or without that $50 perk, it will not make or break my cruise - though I will be pissed off! (and I do have the names of those I spoke with at the shore excursion desk.) It is not worth my time or effort to call up, cancel the excursions I booked, hope my credit card gets credited back correctly, and rebook on the phone. I also will definitely not wait until I get on the ship as the excursions I want may be sold out, and the lines will be horrendous.

I booked the excursion online, so I called and got the same answer as other people - if I take the excursion, the $50 shore excursion credit will be applied to my account as OBC. If I don't use it, I will get a refund at the end of the cruise.

1) you can not book the shore ex yourself. It can ONLY ave redeemed by calling the number below or booking onboard. And they will not charge you for the excursions in advance.

I'm sorry, but this is simply not correct. We always book our shore excursions online before our cruise, and we always receive the shore excursion credit as a credit on our final bill when we leave the ship.

Some people do not like to book online before the cruise because your credit card will be charged for the shore excursion. But then you get the credit at the end of the cruise, which offsets $50 of what you've paid. If you're using the same credit card, it's a wash. If you're not using the same credit card, you still received the credit, so your final out-of-pocket for the cruise is reduced by the shore excursion credit amount.

If doing it this way bothers you financially, then the only way around it that you DO have to call to book, so the credit will be applied right away.

I booked the excursion online, so I called and got the same answer as other people - if I take the excursion, the $50 shore excursion credit will be applied to my account as OBC. If I don't use it, I will get a refund at the end of the cruise.

This is the real key and the source of the confusion. As the poster says she will get refundable OBC "IF I TAKE THE EXCURSION." In that case, and only if you've PREPAID for the excursion, you will receive refundable OBC on you final bill. You can choose to leave it there against the total of the final bill or have it refunded to your credit card, or take it out to spend on the ship.

If you have NOT prepaid for your excursion, but do take one, the cost of that excursion will simply be reduced by $50.

Some people, on being told that the shore excursion credit is refundable, are wanting to get the money back EVEN IF THEY DO NOT TAKE SHIP'S EXCURSIONS.

here is the simple answer.

if you have the shore ex promo, you MUST call the shorex phone number to book your excursion if you want to use the credit AND avoid having to pre-pay your excursion.

once you board, and take your excursion, they then credit your onboard account with $50. this essentially goes towards the amount that they charge you on board for the excursion.

ive done this, it works. but you have to call shorex, you cant book online.

I'm sorry, but this is simply not correct. We always book our shore excursions online before our cruise, and we always receive the shore excursion credit as a credit on our final bill when we leave the ship.

Some people do not like to book online before the cruise because your credit card will be charged for the shore excursion. But then you get the credit at the end of the cruise, which offsets $50 of what you've paid. If you're using the same credit card, it's a wash. If you're not using the same credit card, you still received the credit, so your final out-of-pocket for the cruise is reduced by the shore excursion credit amount.

If doing it this way bothers you financially, then the only way around it that you DO have to call to book, so the credit will be applied right away.

For the purposes of this thread, let’s not get caught up with what you have gotten away with in the past. And maybe screw someone over by giving them bad advise. I posted the written NCL terms and conditions of the promotion (which you decided was less important than your opinion, and conveniently deleted from the quote) which is the safest thing to follow.

We sail NCL 4-5 times a year with the shore ex promotion. We follow the written rules and have never had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll let you all know in a couple of weeks unless someone comes forward first.

So far those who have booked and paid for shore excursions already, and only under this scenario, from all reports here have consistently been told the same thing.

That same this is that when completed, there will be a 50.00 refundable credit on our account to use or ultimately have refunded to post cruise if we do not use it on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH hates having a large bill waiting after a vacation. As a result, we always pre-book (and pre-pay) if we are taking a cruise line excursion. To each their own. Hopefully we won't have anything to worry about with the $50 credits. And hopefully someone will post about their experience in getting the $50 back if they booked online.

The other thing is that it will depend on which button (refundable or non-refundable) the operator presses when the refund is being credited to your folio AFTER you have taken the shorex.

Easy to check, get a copy of your folio in the morning before the Shorex and then inthe evening or the following morning after.

I will be able to do that next Monday/Tuesday after a day in Shimizu