How to prepare for an Asian cruise?

txflood33

One thing not mentioned here but was a pain for my wife was most of the public restrooms for women had the the floor level toilets that you squat over. The hotels we used had western sitting style. :)

Here are two tips - first, many restrooms have a handicap stall, with a toilet. Use that one. The other tip, you can purchase this, for females, a throwaway thing to help you do #1 while standing. Not sure if it works well, because my wife said she won't use it, but.....just a tip for others.

Never traveled to China with proof of vaccinations and never was asked about it except for a line or two on the visa application.

However if your hacking, coughing, shivering, and looking blue/green while going through passport control all bets are off :fever:

I don't know if they do this at the port, but at the airport and train stations in Hong Kong they'll have a station where there are people with thermal imagers scanning you as you walk by. If you're a "hit" they ask you to step aside and take your temp and ask few questions. After SARS HK is very cautious about it. :confused:

I remember a thermal scanner when we left the ship in Shanghai to go ashore. Can't remember it anywhere else in China, but may have overlooked it. None in Hong Kong when we were there. Must depend on the situation at the time.

We were never asked for vaccinations.

You have already received some correct replies... so just some additional info.

We did the same cruise in March this year and it was fabulous!

- Airports will not be a problem.

- People in Hong Kong (most) speak English.

- Hotel recommendation in HK The Kowloon Hotel

- If there are places you want to see independently in S. Korea, Taiwan etc. it helps to have the names written down in local language.

Taxi drivers do not necessarily speak English and can not read English.

- USD are not always welcome. Taxis in S. Korea and China only take local currency (cash)

- get a credit card with no ATM and/or foreign currency fees and get cash as you go.

- Plan PLENTY of time for your return flight in Shanghai. Both times we were there we arrived 7 hours late (storm, fog) and could not leave the ship before 4 pm.

- you will need a Chinese Visa, the transit rule does not apply for this itinerary.

- should you stay in Shanghai the Les Suites Orient Hotel is great

We planned our excursions in Beijing with Chinahighlights - exeptional.

We arrived a day late because of fog and they refunded one day, reorganized everything etc. - perfect.

You will be happy to hear that Millennium (beuatiful already) will be a brandnew ship in 2020. She will undergo the Rovolution-program Spring 2019.

If you have any questions just shoot...

We are taking this same cruise next March. Thank you for the information you have provided. Can you recommend excursion companies for South Korea, Shanghai or Hong Kong? Are two days pre-cruise in Hong Kong and two days post cruise in Shanghai long enough?

We are taking this same cruise next March. Thank you for the information you have provided. Can you recommend excursion companies for South Korea, Shanghai or Hong Kong? Are two days pre-cruise in Hong Kong and two days post cruise in Shanghai long enough?

Two days in Hong Kong barely scratches the top, but it may enough to make you come back.

With a little planning HK can be DIY, lookee here to begin: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/index.jsp

I'd be curious on the pre/post cruise days as well. We are planning the same 2 days right now.

I'd also like to know if any of these ports can be done on your own or do you really need a guide/excursion? Like Rome, the port is an hour or so from Rome, so, at the very least, pre-arranged transportation is required if not doing a tour. Are there any ports here where a tour is pretty much needed to get anywhere or know what you're doing?

We are in Beijing(Tianjin) for 3 days. My initial idea is to take the train from Tianjin to Beijing and getting a hotel(area of the city is yet to be determined)...wander Beijing on the first day, stay at our hotel, get up the next day and have a pre-arranged tour to go to the Great Wall and then a few more sights in Beijing. Catch the train back to Tianjin and stay in our rooms on the boat. The 3rd day, get up and go see Tianjin. Is this something that is realistic?

I would say two days in each city are fine - more is always good, of course, but two days are fine.

We have been to HK before and after and explored DIY most of the times but a very good address is hellohongkong.com.hk

Fabulous individual tours!

For Shanghai I would recommend www.jennysshanghaitours.com or http://www.chinahighlights.com.

In South Korea (Jeju and Busan) we also did DIY. We hired a cab (actually two) in Jeju on our second visit and drove to the lava caves, the crater and some waterfalls.

Busan is easy to explore on foot. There´s is a beautiful temple 30 minute outside the city. we drove there by taxi and back to town.

I would say two days in each city are fine - more is always good, of course, but two days are fine.

We have been to HK before and after and explored DIY most of the times but a very good address is hellohongkong.com.hk

Fabulous individual tours!

For Shanghai I would recommend www.jennysshanghaitours.com or www.chinahighlights.com.

In South Korea (Jeju and Busan) we also did DIY. We hired a cab (actually two) in Jeju on our second visit and drove to the lava caves, the crater and some waterfalls.

Busan is easy to explore on foot. There´s is a beautiful temple 30 minute outside the city. we drove there by taxi and back to town.

Thank you Miaminice for your suggestions and links. They are helpful to my planning.

I would suggest three days in Beijing and skip Tianjin.

The city of Beijing is just too huge and the (so-called) big sites such as Forbidden City, Great Wall, Tempe of Heaven, Ming Tombs, Summer Palace, and Beijing's great museums are separated by miles! Tianamen Square (sp?) to me is boring and too big to traverse - unless you want to see Chairmen Mao's body or observe its historical significance.

Tianjin is not really worth the effort as compared to Beijing.

Incidentaly, we had a great time with Karen in Shanghai - she is with Tours by Locals - picked us up at the dock, has an a/c Buick SUV and a great driver as well.

• 2 months later...

Thank you OP for this topic. We will be on this cruise also and I find it a bit different to prepare for  than other trips I have planned. It will be our first time in Asia.

Thank you all also everyone for the very interesting information provided! 

One quick precision if possible: I understand that while in China, internet could be slow and some sites such as Twitter or Facebook may be blocked.

Will this also apply while we are on board the Millenium, when the ship is docked in Tianjin for 3 days? In the affirmative? Any suggestions for ways to stayin touch with family back home that are not too expensive? 

Just returned last week from my 4th trip to Shanghai (my favorite). We absolutely love the Grand Central Hotel just steps from Nanjing Road..2 min walk to the MRT and an easy 10min walk to the Bund.

Restrooms....look for the handicapped (maimed person) toilet in usually each restroom...but do bring your own toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

Shopping for any and everything you can't beat taking the MRT to the Science & Technology Center...(haggle haggle on anything you want to buy and walk away...you'll get your price). Have a currency converter app. on your phone...makes this so easy to bargain.

Bring or get Yuan (RMB) (CNY) and have the name of your hotel written down in Chinese to give the taxi driver.

Plan on a few days post cruise in Shanghai...you'll be so glad you did.

Enjoy...I can't wait to go back !!

14 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Thank you OP for this topic. We will be on this cruise also and I find it a bit different to prepare for  than other trips I have planned. It will be our first time in Asia.

Thank you all also everyone for the very interesting information provided! 

One quick precision if possible: I understand that while in China, internet could be slow and some sites such as Twitter or Facebook may be blocked.

Will this also apply while we are on board the Millenium, when the ship is docked in Tianjin for 3 days? In the affirmative? Any suggestions for ways to stayin touch with family back home that are not too expensive? 

Facebook, Instagram and Google not blocked...our internet at our hotel speed was good. We use the cruise package offered from our cell provider AT&T....talk & text and the International Day Pass when on land.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, PCWalton1 said:

One thing not mentioned here but was a pain for my wife was most of the public restrooms for women had the the floor level toilets that you squat over. The hotels we used had western sitting style. 🙂

My experience from just getting back from Japan and Korea is that the Men's Public Restroom also have the floor level toilets but do have urinals also.    The women on our tours were not impressed with these toilets. 

• Members

Just back from an extended trip that included four days in Shanghai. 

If you have T-mobile or international data on your phone, you can use it and access Google maps, FB, email -- and not have to deal with a VPN. 

I wrote up a review of the different tours we took in Shanghai: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8953&fbclid=IwAR0tdInipqxyilwJWHWJ6TAqO6az5D9x_-Zr4nN3Vbi9c35jsRtXw2E_tus. One site I enjoyed that wasn't on the tour is the Propaganda Poster museum. 

Definitely get local currency. 

Cabs were all over the place in what they charged. Some were super cheap, others jacked up their prices. We were told to go with the yellow ones and avoid the blue ones. I looked up the Chinese characters for the place we were going and showed the driver the name. 

The metro is fairly easy to use. 

Our hotel was Hyatt on the Bund. Great views of Pudong skyline, particularly from the rooftop bar. 

Edited by Cruise Critic Chris

One thing we learned quickly was that most ATM's in Japan do not work with U.S. Credit Cards.   You can find ones that will accept U.S. Cards at the Post Office and at 7-11.     Actually I found a 7-11 terminal at a bank.   The Bank's machine would not accept my card but the 7-11 one did.    It was easy to use with a button for English and a couple other languages.