bathrooms

Kamlhj

I suffer from paruresis (shy bladder)- a condition where the body senses danger & uses the parasympathetic nervous system (heart beat, breathing) to shut down the urinary process- regardless of how much you drank or how long you've waited.

This being said, are there any plans to put bathrooms on life boats (I heard that Royal Carribean is starting to do so)? I'd hate to be on a cruise ship emergency & have to be in a lifeboat for 24hrs or more (ouch).

Chances are so very slim you'll ever be on a lifeboat- unless it is being used as a tender to get from ship to port! Then it may be 10 minutes to shore so that should not be a problem for you. Aside from the Costa ship, how many times have cruise ships made everyone use a lifeboat? When was the last time you head of this? So, don't worry or thing of this!

I'd consider such matters to be the least of my problems if the "abandon ship" order were given. :eek:

And are RCI considering fitting toilets on all lifeboats?

Or only those used as tenders? They might be a customer-friendly addition if for whatever reason (mooring or engine problem) the tender trip to/from the ship were a lot longer than planned.

But in an emergency I'd hate to drown because lifeboat space was taken up by a bathroom :rolleyes:

JB :)

Depending on the port, you could be on a life boat anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes to get from the ship to shore -- tendering. But it could be longer as sometimes they wait for the tender to get pretty full.

Your chances of having to be a lifeboat for hours and hours -- extremely slim.

Kaml, you're worried about this and bed bugs? Really, honey, try to relax and realize what a nice vacation you are going on. You are inventing problems - go to youtube and search for your ship - you will probably find some nice videos people have posted of their fabulous vacations. I know this is Shark Week, also, but, no, you are not going to be eaten either! :)

Dont think you will have to worry about this. I didn't catch your cruise, but on Carnival they dont use the life boats to tender you, the ports have companies that have small ferries that take people from the ship to the port. Have a great cruise, and really think of it as being on a huge clean hotel, if that helps.;)

Well, there you go! You have cruised before so you know it is a wonderful experience. Don't spend so much time worrying about every little tthing that CAN go wrong. Sometimes things do go wrong and then you will have a great story to tell. Until that happens, focus on ALL the great things that will happen. What is your next planned cruise or your dream cruise? :)

• 4 years later...
Well, there you go! You have cruised before so you know it is a wonderful experience. Don't spend so much time worrying about every little tthing that CAN go wrong. Sometimes things do go wrong and then you will have a great story to tell. Until that happens, focus on ALL the great things that will happen. What is your next planned cruise or your dream cruise? :)

Inability to urinate for possibly 24 hrs is not a "little thing", unless inability to breathe, eat, or drink are neither.

I'd consider such matters to be the least of my problems if the "abandon ship" order were given. :eek:

And are RCI considering fitting toilets on all lifeboats?

Or only those used as tenders? They might be a customer-friendly addition if for whatever reason (mooring or engine problem) the tender trip to/from the ship were a lot longer than planned.

But in an emergency I'd hate to drown because lifeboat space was taken up by a bathroom :rolleyes:

JB :)

I was talking about using a lifeboat during a ship evacuation (could be many hours or days at sea). As far as being least of one's problems, put yourself in my shoes - drink enough so that you definitely have to urinate immediately, then (in your case - my case is not under control) hold it for four hours. Now repeat daily for a week (over 50 years in my case) and report back. Finally, there is more than enough room on standard cruise ship lifeboats to fit 150% of the passengers and crew, but without a port-a-potty, you'd be relegating me to drowning.

Kaml, you're worried about this and bed bugs? Really, honey, try to relax and realize what a nice vacation you are going on. You are inventing problems - go to youtube and search for your ship - you will probably find some nice videos people have posted of their fabulous vacations. I know this is Shark Week, also, but, no, you are not going to be eaten either! :)

My bed bugs post was that I (unlike some other posters)was not worried about that happening (just like I was first back in the water after "Jaws" came out).:D

Inability to urinate for possibly 24 hrs is not a "little thing", unless inability to breathe, eat, or drink are neither.

I once had this problem, so I know how miserable it is. That said, if you have to abandon ship and be on a lifeboat, this will be the least of your worries. If you're sailing in the Caribbean, you would be on them for a very short time as there are always other ships in the area. I worry about someone planning a cruise going in with worries about the accommodations on the lifeboats, and bed bugs. Are you sure you want to travel at all?

Just curious why you decided to resurrect your original four year old thread? Seems like a very unusual topic to post about once, let alone twice - four years later! :confused:

The latest big lifeboats on the RC Oasis class ships have a single enclosed toilet for nearly 400 passengers, none of the other ones do.

When is the last time you heard of a cruise ship having to use lifeboats? Never...

None of the tender boats I’ve used have them either.

I had heard that the Oasis-class RCI ships have some sort of toilet on their lifeboats. Possibly the next class of ships as well?

But if you are forced to abandon ship and rescue does not come quickly enough for this to become an issue, potential embarrassment about being seen "going over the side" or otherwise improvising would be far down on my list of what to worry about. Take it from someone stuck in the all-night traffic jam evacuating from Irene: nobody took any notice.

Yes, the odds are very high against you ever being in an abandon ship situation - but obviously the powers that be believe that there is sufficient possibility to warrant requiring the cost of constructing and carrying so many life boats - each of which surely costs tens of thousands of dollars.

That being the case; there is a (miniscule) possibility that you might spend many hours in a life boat with 120 to 150 other passengers. Do you think that there is ANY possibility of so many people (many of them elderly) spending so many hours without some needing a bathroom break?

Face it - let's hope it never happens, but any prolonged time spent in a lfeboat will get very unpleasant.

Nevertheless - I doubt that we will see bathrooms on lifeboats - if they were ever considered, why not both men's and women's -- and then, how about handicapped as well?