bathrooms

Kamlhj

OP, I've read your other thread on the matter. I think you are asking the wrong question. The right question is how often are passengers evacuated to lifeboats and when that does happen how long does it take before they are rescued.

Your concern is not at the forethought of the cruise lines when they design the ships and lifeboats. They intend to never need truly them, so they want light weight and efficient (getting as many people to safety as quickly as possible).

I don't know the answers to the questions, but that's what I would seek out if I were you. This is clearly on your mind and knowing that lifeboats are used for passengers in .00001% of sailings and when used it typically takes a few hours for rescue; may make you feel better (again, making up those numbers but you get my point).

If this fear is preventing you from being comfortable booking you may want to choose not to cruise. Plenty of people do for claustrophobia reasons. While your physical issue is real, your fear of the lifeboats is impractical. I'd be willing to bet you are more likely to get struck by lightning on a sunny day than have to evacuate in the lifeboats and be stuck in them for 8+ hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was talking about using a lifeboat during a ship evacuation (could be many hours or days at sea). As far as being least of one's problems, put yourself in my shoes - drink enough so that you definitely have to urinate immediately, then (in your case - my case is not under control) hold it for four hours. Now repeat daily for a week (over 50 years in my case) and report back. Finally, there is more than enough room on standard cruise ship lifeboats to fit 150% of the passengers and crew, but without a port-a-potty, you'd be relegating me to drowning.

Actually, your information is incorrect. The lifeboats hold 100% of passengers only, along with the assigned boat crew, which is 3-4 for the smaller 150 man lifeboats, and 15-16 for the 370 man mega-boats on the Oasis class ships. The vast majority of crew, and the 50% excess capacity use life rafts. Now, the space designated for a "person" in a lifeboat is based on a 75kg person (165 lbs), and is 18" wide and 24" front to back. Sit down some time and have someone measure you from shoulder to shoulder and from knees to back of butt, and see if you fit in this space. A fully loaded lifeboat has people sitting with knees touching the backs of the people in front, and given the average size of passengers, with alternate people leaning forward so their shoulders don't jam into the person next to them.

Now, with regards to toilets in the boat. Yes, the 370 man lifeboats do have a toilet, but I cannot say how "private" they are, and in my professional opinion they are simply there to meet a regulation, since getting out of your seat in the boat and moving to the toilet is going to be a major exercise for nearly everyone in the boat.

All other boats have no toilet facility, and given the need to squeeze as many bodies into the boat as possible, there aren't any plans to add toilets to the smaller boats. Space is so tight in the boats that water, food, and essential tools for survival are in storage bins built into the seats, again requiring gymnastics on the part of the people in the boat to get up, and open these lockers.

Now, you must realize that in a survival situation, which is what you would be in if you were in a boat, that all modesty has long left the room, if this is a serious concern for you I would recommend learning to catheterize yourself, and bringing a cath with you on a cruise. Don't worry about urinating into the bilges of the boat, everyone else will be as well, and that is why there is a bilge pump.

I once had this problem, so I know how miserable it is. That said, if you have to abandon ship and be on a lifeboat, this will be the least of your worries. If you're sailing in the Caribbean, you would be on them for a very short time as there are always other ships in the area. I worry about someone planning a cruise going in with worries about the accommodations on the lifeboats, and bed bugs. Are you sure you want to travel at all?

I worry not about bedbugs (as in my previous posts). I was hoping to shed light on my condition which effects 7% of our population (few who are even able to take cruises because of accommodations). Thank you for your reply!

I had heard that the Oasis-class RCI ships have some sort of toilet on their lifeboats. Possibly the next class of ships as well?

But if you are forced to abandon ship and rescue does not come quickly enough for this to become an issue, potential embarrassment about being seen "going over the side" or otherwise improvising would be far down on my list of what to worry about. Take it from someone stuck in the all-night traffic jam evacuating from Irene: nobody took any notice.[/quote Paruresis is not a disorder of embarrassment, but of inability to urinate as long as certain conditions present themselves. I thank you for your thoughtful reply!

I would have to say, if for some reason I am leaving my cruise ship in a lifeboat, the least of my worries is if there is a toilet on it ;p

Unfortunately, that is one of the worst case scenarios for those with my disorder. Thanks for your time!

Actually, your information is incorrect. The lifeboats hold 100% of passengers only, along with the assigned boat crew, which is 3-4 for the smaller 150 man lifeboats, and 15-16 for the 370 man mega-boats on the Oasis class ships. The vast majority of crew, and the 50% excess capacity use life rafts. Now, the space designated for a "person" in a lifeboat is based on a 75kg person (165 lbs), and is 18" wide and 24" front to back. Sit down some time and have someone measure you from shoulder to shoulder and from knees to back of butt, and see if you fit in this space. A fully loaded lifeboat has people sitting with knees touching the backs of the people in front, and given the average size of passengers, with alternate people leaning forward so their shoulders don't jam into the person next to them.

Now, with regards to toilets in the boat. Yes, the 370 man lifeboats do have a toilet, but I cannot say how "private" they are, and in my professional opinion they are simply there to meet a regulation, since getting out of your seat in the boat and moving to the toilet is going to be a major exercise for nearly everyone in the boat.

All other boats have no toilet facility, and given the need to squeeze as many bodies into the boat as possible, there aren't any plans to add toilets to the smaller boats. Space is so tight in the boats that water, food, and essential tools for survival are in storage bins built into the seats, again requiring gymnastics on the part of the people in the boat to get up, and open these lockers.

Now, you must realize that in a survival situation, which is what you would be in if you were in a boat, that all modesty has long left the room, if this is a serious concern for you I would recommend learning to catheterize yourself, and bringing a cath with you on a cruise. Don't worry about urinating into the bilges of the boat, everyone else will be as well, and that is why there is a bilge pump.

Thanks - I was wondering where that extra 50% came from. Plus, bringing a catheter is a GREAT idea!!! (feel better already)

Was there a reason you started another thread about this? Four years is an awfully long time to worry.

I am horrible with computers - was trying to start a new thread(?) and my new posts got myself connected with the old posts (if that makes any sense:confused:).

OP, I've read your other thread on the matter. I think you are asking the wrong question. The right question is how often are passengers evacuated to lifeboats and when that does happen how long does it take before they are rescued.

Your concern is not at the forethought of the cruise lines when they design the ships and lifeboats. They intend to never need truly them, so they want light weight and efficient (getting as many people to safety as quickly as possible).

I don't know the answers to the questions, but that's what I would seek out if I were you. This is clearly on your mind and knowing that lifeboats are used for passengers in .00001% of sailings and when used it typically takes a few hours for rescue; may make you feel better (again, making up those numbers but you get my point).

If this fear is preventing you from being comfortable booking you may want to choose not to cruise. Plenty of people do for claustrophobia reasons. While your physical issue is real, your fear of the lifeboats is impractical. I'd be willing to bet you are more likely to get struck by lightning on a sunny day than have to evacuate in the lifeboats and be stuck in them for 8+ hours.

The odds against this happening is the reason that I am able to cruise at all. Another poster suggested bringing a catheter, which is a great idea since my disorder manifests as a physical inability to urinate. Thank you very much for your time!

I am horrible with computers - was trying to start a new thread(?) and my new posts got myself connected with the old posts (if that makes any sense:confused:).

You did start a new thread. A moderator merged your threads since the new one was essentially the same question posted 1400 or so days later.

As far as being least of one's problems, put yourself in my shoes - drink enough so that you definitely have to urinate immediately, then (in your case - my case is not under control) hold it for four hours. Now repeat daily for a week (over 50 years in my case) and report back.

I hate to take this thread further off the rails, but teachers deal with this every day. It is rare for an elementary level teacher, for example, to have any opportunity at all to use the rest room during the work day, except during lunch IF that teacher doesn't have cafeteria supervision duties.

In my line of work, it isn't unusual for me to go 12-16 hours without access to a restroom. As my job can be physical in nature, staying hydrated is critical for safety. Having to "hold it" for hours, unless one suffers from a physical condition affecting the bladder/kidneys, is not the end of the world. Especially in an emergency situation.

I hate to take this thread further off the rails, but teachers deal with this every day. It is rare for an elementary level teacher, for example, to have any opportunity at all to use the rest room during the work day, except during lunch IF that teacher doesn't have cafeteria supervision duties.

In my line of work, it isn't unusual for me to go 12-16 hours without access to a restroom. As my job can be physical in nature, staying hydrated is critical for safety. Having to "hold it" for hours, unless one suffers from a physical condition affecting the bladder/kidneys, is not the end of the world. Especially in an emergency situation.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you are working 12-16 hours on a regular basis without a bathroom break.

First I think you are discussing 2 separate facts, not sure how an elementary school teacher could work 16 hours straight, without any type of break.

So I don't know what your job is but 12-16 hours is excessive. While you may not need it and don't care, I don't believe that there is absolutely no possibility for a restroom to be used. I'm in law enforcement so work 10-18 hours a day and due to the nature of being 'stuck on a post' unexpectedly. I guarantee you that a restroom can always be found when needed. Gas stops, fast food, parks, (for guys anywhere semi private behind their car), etc....

Simply not credible.

If an elementary school teacher (9:00 -3:00) -stay two hours after school and has a two hour drive each way - gives a total of 12 hours - but just 8 hours between showing up and leaving.

Hard to imagine ANY job with 12 to 16 hours and no break.

Look on the bright side. You now have a very good chance of winning the Gold Medal in the new Olympic sport, The Bladder Marathon. :D Just sit in a chair, twiddling your thumbs until there is only one of you left. GOLD!!!

(And you thought race walking was the most boring Olympic sport.;))

• Like 1

Sorry, but I'm also calling out BS on this one. My ex is an elementary school teacher and has been for 34 years - I just asked her about this and she said even if you are the only teacher in a one-room school, there is no way this is possible. She works the car lanes early in the morning as well as stays after to run the after school program and has more than enough time during the day for restroom breaks - and the only time she has had to work 16 hour days is if she has P/T conferences and even then still has time to go between meetings.

Edited by Herfnerd

I think this poster used teachers as an example, but didn't say that THEY were a teacher. I doubt any teacher would describe their job as "physical in nature", or that staying hydrated was "critical for safety". I do wonder, though, why this poster didn't say what their line of work was, rather than being cryptic about it.

https://www.rina.org.uk/mega-lifeboat.html

The SOLAS regulation on Life Saving Equipment (LSA) code 4.4.3.1states: “No lifeboat shall be approved to accommodate more than 150 persons.” However, the regulations do actually provide procedures for using lifeboats of greater capacity providing it can be demonstrated that they have an equivalent level of safety. Schat-Harding has developed a 370-person lifeboat and davit system. The Oasis of the Seas cruise ship was the first vessel to be fitted with these new mega lifeboats.

c2ag_200x150_3_Schat-Harding%20370%20lifboat.jpg

The seating is arranged in two levels designed to reduce the time taken to board all the people into the lifeboat. The main cabin deck will seat 280 people in longitudinal benches and the upper seating area will seat 80 persons in longitudinal benches and another 10 in the large steering tower near the helmsman’s position. The lifeboat also has an onboard toilet and two stretchers stored in the wheelhouse.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

NOTE: 370 folks in a boat 16.7 meters by 5.6 ... ONE toi toi .... but let's not forget: survival food and water, no kitchen, no buffet. You are sitting shoulder to shoulder, hip to hip ..... do I need to mention no a/c

IF events ever put people into these boats ...... hang onto your socks. Consider this ..... you and 369 friends in an enclosed boat 70 feet long with no a/c and one bathroom.

+++++++++++++

here's another metric to consider ... I patrolled the Carib for MANY years and was involved in the multiple Cuban and Haitian 'exodus' of late 80's and thru the 90's .... On my cutter, a larger one for this type of duty at 210 feet .... we reached our 'limit' at 300 'souls' on deck. We fairly routinely picked up these numbers of 'victims' trying to reach the US during 'Alien Migration Interdiction Patrol' AMIO duty. At 300 we became 'critical' stability wise, not to mention the simple problems of food, water and sanitation. In other words, a typical CG cutter in the area could pick up at MOST ONE lifeboat of folks ...... and trust me, there AIN'T a dozen 210' cutters within a week's sail from most places in the Carib' under normal circumstances. Helo's? 8 to 15 people at a time with maybe a dozen, probably less available .. forgetaboutit ..... As someone who has experience in this field, ships the size of FREEDOM and OASIS scare me. But not so much as to keep me away, next OASIS cruise is over Turkey day.

Difference is I KNOW the risk I'm taking . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

But back to the OP, it's not true that lifeboats don't have toilets - in fact, they all not only have toilets, but they're fully portable and can be flushed with the ample supplies of salt water available. This versatile device is sold under the trade name "bucket".

Agreed. In an emergency the only thing anyone cares about is getting off the boat that is sinking or on fire and into a boat that is not.

Unfortunately, my condition excludes me from being anyone, hence, my original question. Thank You for your time.

The odds against this happening is the reason that I am able to cruise at all. Another poster suggested bringing a catheter, which is a great idea since my disorder manifests as a physical inability to urinate. Thank you very much for your time!

Tried doxazosin and cognitive therapy?