Rhapsody - oldie but goody

N E England
6,330 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
We have cruised mainly on newer ships in recent years but were very attracted to last weeks itinerary on the 20 year old Rhapsody. So pleased we went for it. The itinerary turned out to be wonderful. We loved every port. Sailing out of Venice was spectacular and Dubrovnik, Kotor, Santorini were all as good. What we weren't prepared for was the outstanding service, friendly and all round great crew. The food was good. The Diamond Concierge, Ghivago was the best ever. As we are Diamond plus we could have used the CL but it didn't compare to the DL. In all our years of cruising (27) we have NEVER been waved off at disembarkation by the Captain and senior officers. Yes, really, they were at the gangway and said goodbye to everyone as they left. This is one happy ship and it comes all the way down the chain of command. They all seem to enjoy their jobs, no moans (yes, we've all heard the stories about hard they work, and they do!) just lovely smiley faces and offers to help with anything you want. Our room attendant Alvin was requested to acquire a needle and cotton for some running repairs, not only did he do that he wanted to do the sewing as well! So well done Rhapsody crew, you are a shining example of how to keep your guests coming back over and over again.
Central Illinois
136,982 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Good to hear. We were also favorably impressed with Rhapsody after our cruise on her this past February.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
N E England
6,330 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Thanks Bob. You probably don't remember but way back when we booked this cruise I asked advice about PV cabins and you gave me some good advice. It was the best alternative to our usual balcony and we spent so much time in port and in the DL that we didn't miss it at all.
Fort Worth, TX
135 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Rhapsody holds a special place in my heart. What a great ship! Thanks to her, my now husband is addicted to cruising(even after 8 years in the Navy). Glad to hear she's going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sea Princess 4/2000
Rhapsody of the Seas 12/2001
Golden Princess 2/2002
Grand Princess 10/2004 "1st balcony"
Rhapsody of the Seas 4/2006
Carnival Conquest 9/2007
Independence of the Seas 9/2015
Liberty of the Seas 10/2016

Jewel of the Seas 6/2017 10th Anniversary Med Cruise
Central Illinois
136,982 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by sandancer
Thanks Bob. You probably don't remember but way back when we booked this cruise I asked advice about PV cabins and you gave me some good advice. It was the best alternative to our usual balcony and we spent so much time in port and in the DL that we didn't miss it at all.
Certainly glad that advice worked out!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
2,728 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
We have cruised mainly on newer ships in recent years but were very attracted to last weeks itinerary on the 20 year old Rhapsody. So pleased we went for it. The itinerary turned out to be wonderful. We loved every port. Sailing out of Venice was spectacular and Dubrovnik, Kotor, Santorini were all as good. What we weren't prepared for was the outstanding service, friendly and all round great crew. The food was good. The Diamond Concierge, Ghivago was the best ever. As we are Diamond plus we could have used the CL but it didn't compare to the DL. In all our years of cruising (27) we have NEVER been waved off at disembarkation by the Captain and senior officers. Yes, really, they were at the gangway and said goodbye to everyone as they left. This is one happy ship and it comes all the way down the chain of command. They all seem to enjoy their jobs, no moans (yes, we've all heard the stories about hard they work, and they do!) just lovely smiley faces and offers to help with anything you want. Our room attendant Alvin was requested to acquire a needle and cotton for some running repairs, not only did he do that he wanted to do the sewing as well! So well done Rhapsody crew, you are a shining example of how to keep your guests coming back over and over again.
So glad to hear about Rhapsody and the crew, glad you had a wonderful time. Will be doing a B2B on her next April!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Plus Member
120 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Great to here your review of Rhapsody..... we're sailing on her this summer.... what was the entertain onboard like and did you book ship excursions or private ones at each port
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rhapsody of the Seas June 30th 2018

Rhapsody of the Seas 29th July 2017

Harmony of the Seas West Mediterranean October 2016
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Carribean March 2016
Adelaide
165 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Rhapsody was well loved when she operated out of Sydney. We had great cruises on her and always found her crew to be fantastic.
Its such a pity she no longer comes downunder.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
17 September 2018 - Radiance of the Seas: Honolulu, Papeete, Moorea, Bora Bora, Wellington, Picton, Sydney
13 March 2016 - Voyager of the Seas: Sydney, Noumea, Mystery Island, Lautoka, Suva, Isle of Pines, Sydney
6 April 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas: Sydney, Newcastle, Cairns, Willis Island, Airlie Beach, Brisbane, Sydney
18 November 2012 - Rhapsody of the Seas:
Sydney, Newcastle, Cairns, Willis Island, Airlie Beach, Brisbane, Sydney
Kansas City, MO
1,639 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Thanks for posting. Rhapsody was the first ship we ever sailed and that trip to Alaska hooked us on cruising. We are returning to her next summer for a bucket list B2B going to both Santorini and Mykonos.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rhapsody - Alaska (8/2001); Rhapsody - Caribbean (8/2002); Norwegian Wind - Hawaii (8/2004); Brilliance - Mediterranean (6/2005); Vision - Mexico (3/2006); Jewel - British Isles/Fjords (6/2006); Sovereign - Bahamas (3/2007); Deilmann's Chopin - Berlin to Prague (10/2007); Adventure - S. Caribbean (3/2008); Explorer - New England/CAN (7/2008); Mariner - Mexico (3/2009); Serenade - S. Caribbean (4/2011); Disney Dream - Bahamas (2/2012); Voyager - W. Caribbean (3/2012); Vision - Baltics (7/2012); Vision - So. Caribbean (12/2012); Liberty - W. Caribbean (3/2013); Enchantment - Bahamas (8/2013); Enchantment - Bahamas (1/2014); Radiance - Australia/New Zealand (2/2014); Allure - W. Caribbean (8/2014); Liberty - W. Caribbean (11/2014); Quantum - So. Caribbean (12/2014); Explorer - Spain & Med Beaches (06/2015); Enchantment - Bahamas (01/2016); Brilliance - Cozumel (03/2016); Ovation - Asia (06/2016); Explorer - S. Pacific (11/2016); Majesty - Bahamas (1/2017); Vision - TA (8/2017); Enchantment - Bahamas (1/18 and 3/18); Anthem - Bermuda (9/18); Adventure - Snowbird Migration (10/18); Enchantment - Bahamas (1/19); Radiance - Hawaii (5/19); Vision - Greek Isles (9/19); Jewel - UAE (12/19); Mariner - Bahamas (1/20); Serenade - Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia (3/20)
Pepsicola FL
11,213 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by Septemberbride07
Rhapsody holds a special place in my heart. What a great ship! Thanks to her, my now husband is addicted to cruising(even after 8 years in the Navy). Glad to hear she's going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

what's not to love? beds, not racks. no standing watch at oh stupid thirty. alcohol on board. Mid rats that are edible. eggs that didn't start off life in powder form. coffee that doesn't taste like JP5.

our very first cruise was less than 2 weeks after mr spook came back from 8 months Haze Grey. HE is the one that made the appointment on board to book another one.
N E England
6,330 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by Shone216
Great to here your review of Rhapsody..... we're sailing on her this summer.... what was the entertain onboard like and did you book ship excursions or private ones at each port
The entertainment was ok. We don't go for production shows so can't comment. There was a singer in the genre of Frank Sinatra and a comedian/juggler. The entertainment in the centrum was very lively and there seemed to be a party atmosphere every night. There was a reggae type band who were great. They played by the pool and in other areas. As for excursions, we did our own thing. If your itinerary includes Katakolon you can take a bus to Olympus village for 3 euros. If you are going to Santorini and want to take the boat to Oia, get off as early as possible. When you arrive by boat you are met by a bus to take you to the village. It is IMPORTANT to tell the bus operator what time you want to go back as you can only go back to Fira by bus, not boat. We fully intended to take the cable car back down but somehow found ourselves on the steps so carried on. This is not for the faint hearted. I'm sure there are a million steps and every one has donkey doo on it. Between dodging the donkeys ( they are not led along, they just put you up there and take off) and making sure you don't slip, it was not an experience I could recommend. And believe it or not people were walking UP. Talk about heart attack hill.
Missouri
149 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I am glad to read this. I just booked her for next summer for our 25th anniversary. I wanted a smaller ship for the Mediterranean after sailing a mega ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laura
Looking for my next cruise

RC Liberty of the Seas 6/2018
NCL Getaway 5/2015
Philadelphia, PA
4,998 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
I'll be on that same itinerary next June and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it. Thanks for the review!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Luke

Next Up:
Mariner of the Seas - Bahamas

92 Nights at Sea:

Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage Northbound
Rhapsody of the Seas - Greece & Croatia
Enchantment of the Seas - Bahamas & Key West
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Oasis of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Radiance of the Seas - Northbound Alaska & Hubbard Glacier
Norwegian Epic - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Victory - Southern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Jewel of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Florida
716 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
We also had Alvin! He was wonderful! I used to call him Alvin the Chipmunk. He is a great guy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises:
Freedom OTS - 11-5-2017 & 11-11-2017;
Serenade OTS - 3-27-2017 & 4-7-2017;
Rhapsody OTS - 12-10-2016;
Independence OTS - 6-21-2015;
Brilliance OTS - 4-25-2015;
Freedom OTS - 4-27-2014;
MS Eurodam - 11-3-2012;
Monarch OTS - Apr 2012;
Vision OTS - May 2008;
MS Oosterdam - Sep 2005;
Carnival Jubilee - Jun 1997;
Sovereign OTS - Jun 1995;
The Big Red Boat - Jun 1990
UK - Dundee
2,503 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Hi.

Currently on Rhasopdy of the Seas on the 7 nighter out of venice. Very friendly crew, good cruise so far.

Steven.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
May 2016 - Anthem of the Seas - 5 Nighter - Bermuda
September 2015 - Anthem of the Seas - 13 Nighter Canary Islands
May 2015 - Allure of the Seas - 7 Nighter Med

Sep 2014 - Radiance of the Seas - 10 Nighter Hawaii
May 2014 - Splendour of the Seas - 8 Nighter Med
Sep 2013 - Adventure of the Seas - 16 Nighter Med
May 2013 - Liberty of the Seas - 5 Nighter Med
Sep 2012 - Allure of the Seas - 7 Nighter Eastern Caribbean
May 2012 - Independence of the Seas - 4 Nighter to Cork
Sep 2011 - Celebrity Eclipse - 16 nighter Southampton to Venice
May 2011 - Celebrity Eclipse - 4 nighter to Cork
Sep 2010 - Oasis of the Seas - Western Caribbean
May 2010 - Adventure of the Seas - Med
Sep 2009 - Explorer of the Seas - Canada B2B
Sep 2009 - Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda 5 B2B
Sep 2008 - Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Med
June 2008 - Navigator of the Seas - Western Med
Sep 2007 - Navigator of the Seas - Stockholm & Oslo
Feb 2007 - Monarch of the Seas - Mexico
Sep 2006 - Celebrity Century - Western Med
May 2006 - Legend of the Seas - Cork
Feb 2006 - Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Sep 2005 - Legend of the Seas - Med 14 nighter
Feb 2004 - Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas
Sep 2004 - Veendam - Alaska
Oakdale, LA
8 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by OfTheSeasCruiser
I'll be on that same itinerary next June and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it. Thanks for the review!
Which week? We just booked the June 9th sailing...
Santa Fe, Texas
2,738 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Rhapsody was our first RC cruise. We love that ship!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Sea Nov 2000

Rhapsody of the Seas Dec 2004

Carnival Triumph Feb 2012

Mariner of the Seas Dec 2012

Navigator of the Seas Dec 2013

Navigator of the Seas May 2014

Navigator of the Seas Dec 2014

Liberty of the Seas Dec 2015

Vision of the Seas Dec 2017
Missouri
149 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by dubblewide
Which week? We just booked the June 9th sailing...
I just booked that sailing over the weekend.
--signed the over excited American looking forward to finally being outside of her continent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laura
Looking for my next cruise

RC Liberty of the Seas 6/2018
NCL Getaway 5/2015