Emerald princess or crown princess?

Am looking into a Mediterranean cruise for Fall, 2020, itinerary (assuming similarities to 2018-19 offerings will be offered then) and what I am heading towards are similar itineraries, one on Emerald and one on Crown. Are there any real significant differences in these two ships that the ship itself should be in my deciding factor? Like I know the Emerald has "Share," and the Crown has "Sabatini's, but since I like neither, that is not significant. My initial thinking is that the ships are similar enough that my only concern might be the condition of both, but then that is why I am asking here!! Thanks for any ideas, actual differences, and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Pooh

P.S. Now if our Baltic/TA goes well in 2019, would love to do the Sky Princess 28 day from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale in 2020 like it is now offered for 2019!!!

Crown is one year older (2006 vs 2007). Crown was last refurbished November 2011. Emerald was last refurbished December 2015. We've sailed both and liked both but would probably choose Emerald if the timing and itinerary were the same. We did 28 days on Emerald last October and had zero complaints.

Per the just posted spreadsheets for the 2019-20 Americas deployments, Emerald Princess will be ending the Spring with a California Coastal sailing to Vancouver. Now I'm no expert but I strongly suspect Emerald will be spending Summer 2020 in Alaska based on the above evidence.

The Crown Princesshas received the following Dry Dock or Refurbishment

since calendar year2015

Ship Refurbishment (Victoria) - May 3 to May 15, 2015

Routine maintenance items, new outdoor carpeting, new MUTS screen, Horizon Court improvements, moving the Piazza bar to Vines area and expanded the Int'l Care coffee station

Ship Refurbishment (Bahamas)- March 24 to April 3, 2018

New bow livery, all cabins upgraded with custom-made Princess luxury beds, renovation of the wellness center (Fitness Center & Lotus Spa), renovated retail shops, new carpet for corridors & hallways, new LED screen Princess Theatre, Theater's show programs upgraded, new category cabin (Club-Class Mini-Suite) offers VIP amenities and reserved dining area, premium bathrobes.

It should be noted the last refurbishment for the Emerald was November 30 to December 13, 2015 (Bahamas).

John

The Crown Princesshas received the following Dry Dock or Refurbishment

since calendar year2015

Ship Refurbishment (Victoria) - May 3 to May 15, 2015

Routine maintenance items, new outdoor carpeting, new MUTS screen, Horizon Court improvements, moving the Piazza bar to Vines area and expanded the Int'l Care coffee station

Ship Refurbishment (Bahamas)- March 24 to April 3, 2018

New bow livery, all cabins upgraded with custom-made Princess luxury beds, renovation of the wellness center (Fitness Center & Lotus Spa), renovated retail shops, new carpet for corridors & hallways, new LED screen Princess Theatre, Theater's show programs upgraded, new category cabin (Club-Class Mini-Suite) offers VIP amenities and reserved dining area, premium bathrobes.

It should be noted the last refurbishment for the Emerald was November 30 to December 13, 2015 (Bahamas).

John

Thanks for the info! Before reading that I would have said Emerald but now I want to go back on the Crown myself and see what's new.

Happy about Crown as we board next month but know it is essentially the same as Emerald which we have been on several times and love. We always book the same cabin on any of the sister ships which is our favorite of all time as well as this class of ship. Emerald next Fall.

Haven't had an upsell for the cruise yet but it seems likely. 19 days LA to LA Partial Canal Transit in November. The reason I think there will be some kind of offer is that we booked an ocean view (OD) cabin on Baja Deck. There are only 2 ocean view cabins on the entire deck and they are both booked but Princess is allowing guarantee bookings for ocean view on that deck. Since both cabins (one of which is mine) are sold they must be planning on doing something to accommodate the people who accept their guarantee for that category on that deck.

Thanks for all your help. Guess both will have done some more updating, etc. by the time 2020 rolls around. So will try for Emerald but not be so picky if a better itinerary for us happens to be on the Crown.

Pooh

I don't want to spoil your party, but it appears I have to be more direct than I was in post #7.

You seem to be making the assumption that because:

Crown Princess is sailing the Med in Summer 2018 (while Emerald is in Alaska); and

Emerald Princess is sailing the Med in Summer 2019 (while Crown is in the British Isles);

...you believe you can safely conclude that in Summer 2020 you will have your personal choice of both the 2018 Crown itineraries and the 2019 Emerald itineraries as yours for the asking.

Unless Pooh is Also Clairvoyant I don't see how you have come to that understanding. The Europe 2020 deployments will not be announced until the end of this year. And as mentioned above there is pretty strong evidence that Emerald Princess will be returning to Alaska that Summer.

Hi,

I have sailed on both of these ships in 2018. In late February 2018, I did an eight-day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess. In May 2018, I did a four-day Pacific Coastal cruise on the Emerald Princess. Both ships are very similar, but I would probably choose the Emerald Princess. However, my cruise on the Crown Princess was prior to its recent refurbishment.

Chuck

We were on the Crown before the refurbishment and really had a great time! The staff was wonderful, the food good and the ship seemed in good shape to us. We were worried as I know some people really don't like the Crown but our recent experience was really good.

I have been on both. Although they are basically the same ship I give the edge to the emerald because the staff seems better trained - they all make an effort to engage passengers and say something to make your day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums