Breakfast question

bostonfred

I assume you can also get your own juice from a machine?

I'm not sure that you can do that any more. I would sit down and order coffee, juice, and water, then the waiter would bring it. I did see the machines for self-serve coffee, ice tea, and hot water, but it seems that the juice was being poured out of big plastic pitchers. There may have been some juice, already in the glass, by the pastries, but not all the time.

Last time we cruised was Nov 2015 and sure waiters would come and pour juice but you could also find it yourself on stations and self-pour if they not around. Things may be different now. Wife was just on Crown last week. She didn't try to get her own. We always use the water glasses for OJ at breakfast as the "juice" glasses are way too small. She asked for that and it was brought NP.

I think if you ask for Cream of Wheat in the DR, even if not on the menu, you will be able to get it. If they don't have it the first day just ask the head waiter that you would like some the next day. I have seen Cream of Wheat at the buffet almost every morning.

Was it the little packages? The reason I ask is because one time we were told it was on a buffet in one of the metal urns like the oatmeal, but it was actually grits, which is a southern staple.

On the Grand Princess, the person making the omelet in the Horizon Court gives you a piece of paper with a number on it. You pick your table and place the number on the table. When the waiter comes to take your juice order and pour the coffee, he picks up the tag. The waiter takes the tag back to the omelet station and exchanges it for your omelet, which he then brings back to you. I'm sure it probably works that way on most Princess ships.

Spot on,I forgot to add that relevant fact,cheers,Brian.

Last time we cruised was Nov 2015 and sure waiters would come and pour juice but you could also find it yourself on stations and self-pour if they not around. Things may be different now. Wife was just on Crown last week. She didn't try to get her own. We always use the water glasses for OJ at breakfast as the "juice" glasses are way too small. She asked for that and it was brought NP.
Hi,yes we have helped ourselves also,but the waiters don't really like you doing that as it is their station and probably makes them look like they are not doing their job.When they saw us doing it they took over and brought over the drinks.There are no juice machines on Princess to answer another posters query.Cheers,Brian.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bother you, Party Barbie, but we are going on the Princess Ruby on our first cruise with that line. I have have some food restrictions due to cancer in the jaw, and wondered if you would be able to answer some questions about Princess dining.

1. Breakfast. I like Eggs Benedict, but have trouble with chewing, so usually just have the eggs and sauce. The back-up would be eggs over easy or pancakes, waffles, etc. which I can handle. I assume I can order the Eggs Benedict in the dining room, but would be quite content trying to get freshly cooked eggs over easy and potatoes in the buffet. Do you know if they make eggs to order at the omelet station, or is it just omelets?

2. Lunch and dinner. On some lines, they can but food through a blender, but that's usually when we are in a suite or higher. We are traveling with friends, so we are in a regular balcony. I either have to limit myself to cream soups, bisques, mashed potatoes or some other softer foods. On Carnival, I brought a small immersion blender and ordered from the menu in the MDR and took it back to the room to blend. Do you have any idea of how Princess would handle a request like this? I can't seem to get a response from their special needs department or from my travel agent.

At any rate, I won't starve. I was just looking for some information from a source that would likely have some knowledge, given your experience. Thanks in advance for your help! John

I actually prefer the buffet breakfast in the Horizon Court. There are lots of choices, and even a "made to order" omelet station. Another good option is the International Cafe in the piazza. In the mornings they serve a yogurt parfait, a hot egg sandwich, and lots of yummy pastries.

Sorry to bother you, Party Barbie, but we are going on the Princess Ruby on our first cruise with that line. I have have some food restrictions due to cancer in the jaw, and wondered if you would be able to answer some questions about Princess dining.

1. Breakfast. I like Eggs Benedict, but have trouble with chewing, so usually just have the eggs and sauce. The back-up would be eggs over easy or pancakes, waffles, etc. which I can handle. I assume I can order the Eggs Benedict in the dining room, but would be quite content trying to get freshly cooked eggs over easy and potatoes in the buffet. Do you know if they make eggs to order at the omelet station, or is it just omelets?

2. Lunch and dinner. On some lines, they can but food through a blender, but that's usually when we are in a suite or higher. We are traveling with friends, so we are in a regular balcony. I either have to limit myself to cream soups, bisques, mashed potatoes or some other softer foods. On Carnival, I brought a small immersion blender and ordered from the menu in the MDR and took it back to the room to blend. Do you have any idea of how Princess would handle a request like this? I can't seem to get a response from their special needs department or from my travel agent.

At any rate, I won't starve. I was just looking for some information from a source that would likely have some knowledge, given your experience. Thanks in advance for your help! John

Every Maitre'd will have 'office hours' in one of the Main Dining Rooms (it will be noted on the back page of your Princess Patter available in your cabin when you board) during embarkation afternoon usually beginning around 2 pm. I recommend explaining your concerns and questions to the Maitre'd. I have read on this board that they don't allow food to be taken out of the dining rooms (not a problem from the buffet) but the Maitre'd will do everything possible to accommodate you and make your cruise enjoyable.

This will be our first Princess cruise after many on Norwegian. I am curious about the breakfast too. We never do buffet. I saw one sample menu and noticed there was no Cream of Wheat hot cereal, only oatmeal. It's trivial, I know, but I don't like oatmeal. I wonder if I should take some packets with me and just ask for hot water in the restaurant ��.

If that's the only hot cereal you like, by all means, bring some. I don't remember ever seeing Cream of Wheat on a ship. Your request for hot water and an empty bowl would pose no problem in the MDR. In the buffet, you can just grab it yourself.

I assume I can order the Eggs Benedict in the dining room, but would be quite content trying to get freshly cooked eggs over easy and potatoes in the buffet. Do you know if they make eggs to order at the omelet station, or is it just omelets?

Not just omelets. You can order eggs the way you want, either in the dining room or at the buffet.

A little off topic but still breakfast related... A few years ago they used to make fresh Belgium waffles outside the buffet by the pool area, at least on the Ruby they did, does anyone know if they are still doing that?

And one more.. Do they still have Lox in the Horizon court for breakfast?

Thank you in advance!!

A little off topic but still breakfast related... A few years ago they used to make fresh Belgium waffles outside the buffet by the pool area, at least on the Ruby they did, does anyone know if they are still doing that?

And one more.. Do they still have Lox in the Horizon court for breakfast?

Thank you in advance!!

4" square Belgian waffles are now available inside the Horizon Court area. I really liked it the last time I had a full size one made outside by the pool, but that was many years ago in my experience.

Lox is available still for breakfast at the buffet. It may not be out on display every day, but if you ask for it they will get some for you.May need to call it smoked salmon when you ask.

Some may not know this, but you can order Eggs Benedict and James Beard French Toast(love this stuff) anytime for breakfast, even the first morning. In fact if it is a normal breakfast item, you can order it even if not on menu. I have done so many times. One big hint for you Eggs Benedict lovers out there. They pre-make them and put them under the heat lamp. So you will get them sometimes cold or just room temperature and sauce will look a little "old". I have learned to order Eggs Benedict with no sauce on the eggs and with a large side bowl of Hollendaise sauce. This way they have to make your poached eggs to order and you get them hotter and also have plenty of Hollandaise sauce to use!

Pooh

• 2 months later...
If that's the only hot cereal you like, by all means, bring some. I don't remember ever seeing Cream of Wheat on a ship. Your request for hot water and an empty bowl would pose no problem in the MDR. In the buffet, you can just grab it yourself.

On the Royal in April they offered oatmeal, cream of wheat and congee each morning in the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not on the Caribbean Princess or Diamond Princess. Servers were circulating with pitchers of juices. If you wanted something other than what was in their pitchers, they'd go and get it for you. There were no "self serve" juice containers.

Some may not know this, but you can order Eggs Benedict and James Beard French Toast(love this stuff) anytime for breakfast, even the first morning. In fact if it is a normal breakfast item, you can order it even if not on menu. I have done so many times. One big hint for you Eggs Benedict lovers out there. They pre-make them and put them under the heat lamp. So you will get them sometimes cold or just room temperature and sauce will look a little "old". I have learned to order Eggs Benedict with no sauce on the eggs and with a large side bowl of Hollendaise sauce. This way they have to make your poached eggs to order and you get them hotter and also have plenty of Hollandaise sauce to use!

Pooh

Pooh, can you tell me if these items are available to be brought to ALL cabins--or only suites? TIA!