Expensive Cruise Thread

There is also a Bering Strait cruise I would love to do and on the otherside of the equator there is a Wendell Sea cruise I keep my eye on. D

Do you mean the Weddell Sea ? It's 95% packice so there are no cruises through it. I went through it in an icebreaker in 2010 right across to the Atka Ice Port but that's a trip that sadly will never be on offer again. A couple of expedition ships make attempts to jiggle their way into the entrance of it to poke around a bit near the sound and Paulet Island etc. Quark vessel got stuck there for 8 days in Feb.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WHich line do you use for your polar trips?

Any with the itinerary and expedition vessel that I desire.

First three were with Quark - 2 on the Khlebnikov and one on the Sea Adventurer. 4th was with Oceanwide on Ortelius.

somewhere on CC there’s a chap doing the current world cruise on Viking and reviewing as he goes. I can’t say it would be my cup of tea, as Viking isn’t really a luxury brand.

But I’m not overly impressed, by so called luxury lines.

Hmmm...

Interesting thread. I’ve never really thought about it. I think most people tend to desire that which is just out of reach. I have fairly simple tastes and a very limited budget although in recent times we’ve splashed out and sailed in balcony cabins when we’ve found an exceptional deal. If money was no object I guess we’d sail in suites. It would be nice to try a full suite one day. (For DW's 40th birthday cruise I did splurge for a Junior Suite which is really just a larger balcony cabin.)

I tend to desire that which is just out of reach. We’ve spoken about trying Ovation of the Seas but are having a hard time justifying the expense.

I’d like to try something other than Vanuatu and New Caledonia. We’ve been there so often the locals are starting to say, "Welcome home" to us when we arrive. :eek: I loved our transpacific cruise and I’d do the Baltic Sea again. I’d also like to sail the Mediterranean Sea, Alaska, and the Panama Canal.

One day...

Does any particular cruise line or itinerary interest you?

I would cruise any line if it takes me to places I haven't been to already. Would love to try the 6 star lines as they have luxury and they tend to be smaller getting you to places the larger ships don't visit.

Oh riff raff come in all tax brackets! Tory, for many people the mainstream lines you look down upon ARE a luxury indulgence.

This has always been a cruise of interest to me

https://au.voyagestoantiquity.com/cruises/the-black-sea-the-greek-islands-2-1768/cruise-features?date=2019-05-02

https://au.voyagestoantiquity.com/cruises/mediterranean-odyssey-9-1465/cruise-features?date=2018-08-30

Hmmm...

Interesting thread. I’ve never really thought about it. I think most people tend to desire that which is just out of reach. I have fairly simple tastes and a very limited budget although in recent times we’ve splashed out and sailed in balcony cabins when we’ve found an exceptional deal. If money was no object I guess we’d sail in suites. It would be nice to try a full suite one day. (For DW's 40th birthday cruise I did splurge for a Junior Suite which is really just a larger balcony cabin.)

Keep a look out for last minute deals on Carnival near the end of the year. We scored a Vista Suite on Legend for less than the normal balcony price for a 9 night cruise to New Caledonia a couple of years ago. I never thought I get the chance to cruise in a suite. It was huge! Sitting room, bedroom, dressing room, walk-in wardrobe, huge bathroom with shower over bath, and the balcony was 1/3rd the width of the ship then wrapped around the side. That was a fun cruise even though the weather was a bit on the damp side.

Keep a look out for last minute deals on Carnival near the end of the year. We scored a Vista Suite on Legend for less than the normal balcony price for a 9 night cruise to New Caledonia a couple of years ago. I never thought I get the chance to cruise in a suite. It was huge! Sitting room, bedroom, dressing room, walk-in wardrobe, huge bathroom with shower over bath, and the balcony was 1/3rd the width of the ship then wrapped around the side. That was a fun cruise even though the weather was a bit on the damp side.

We have a vista suite for a cruise next year on the Spirit.

It seems that on this board most of the discussions are about cruising on mainstream lines. The most popular thread is all about finding the cheapest cruises.

Why not go to the oppposite extreme.

What would be your dream cruise if money was no object?

Is anyone planning to throw caution to the winds and spend up big on a cruise in the near future? Let’s hear about your upcoming ventures or even your past indulgence in luxury.

Genius thread but honestly if money were no object, I’d have something by Nordhavn, 80 feet minimum and fully crewed.

http://www.nordhavn.com/models/120/

But I’m not overly impressed, by so called luxury lines.

If I were your friend, I would suggest (in an Aussie way) that the luxury lines are not impressed by you. ;p:'):evilsmile:

However, you have defriended everyone here, so I won’t say it.

If I were your friend, I would suggest (in an Aussie way) that the luxury lines are not impressed by you. ;p:'):evilsmile:

However, you have defriended everyone here, so I won’t say it.

Yeah not any are impressed by moi.

And I defriended no one, that would require I have friends at some stage.

If money didn't matter, than I want the best room, even if it is to just invite friends into and empty the mini bar each day.

I have my hand raised for an invite [emoji3] I can bring some cheese & bickies!

Oh riff raff come in all tax brackets! Tory, for many people the mainstream lines you look down upon ARE a luxury indulgence.

This has always been a cruise of interest to me

https://au.voyagestoantiquity.com/cruises/the-black-sea-the-greek-islands-2-1768/cruise-features?date=2019-05-02

https://au.voyagestoantiquity.com/cruises/mediterranean-odyssey-9-1465/cruise-features?date=2018-08-30

It is a mistake to think that disliking something is the same as looking down on it.

One poster below says that he or she doesn’t like the luxury cruise lines. So they aren’t luxury to him or her. Mainstream lines are not to my taste, so they aren’t luxury to me. But they might be luxury to osmeone else.

I like the look of the Voyages to Antquity cruises. I would have enjoyed the old Swan Hellenic line as well

I would give it a shot.:D

That article mentions Abramovich’s yacht Eclipse. We were parked next to it at St Barth on NYE 2016. We were on SeaDream II which isn’t much bigger than Abaramovich’s gleaming yacht.

James Packer’s yacht was also close by.

That was the night when AC/DC came on the sound system after midnight and my wife and I taught a group of wealthy middle aged Americans, Brits and Europeans to play the air guitar in the style of Angus Young strutting around the stage in time to the music.

Being able to go to yachting ports like that is, as you say, one of the great advantages of sailing on the small luxury cruise ships.