Snorkeling on Coco Cay

I originally posted this a couple hours ago in the ports of call forum, but it occurs to me that it might get a more prompt response here.

So, I see the snorkeling "excursion" through RCI is $38, and it seems like I could just buy a set of snorkel gear for that price almost. Is it possible to just rent the gear for a cheaper price on the island, or is the "excursion" just the price of renting the gear?

RCI owns coco cay. The excursion is the rental of the equipment basically. You can bring your own, but you must wear a life jacket, which if memory serves correctly, they will rent to you.

Thanks. If that's the case, then we will probably just buy our own equipment to bring along.

I originally posted this a couple hours ago in the ports of call forum, but it occurs to me that it might get a more prompt response here.

So, I see the snorkeling "excursion" through RCI is $38, and it seems like I could just buy a set of snorkel gear for that price almost. Is it possible to just rent the gear for a cheaper price on the island, or is the "excursion" just the price of renting the gear?

I was on Coco Cay last week and I overheard some people say they were happy to have brought there own mask and not wasted money to rent equipment because the snorkelling wasn't very good. I think you need the excursion that actually takes you out to the reefs and not just for the rental of the equipment.

Enjoy your cruise. Coco Cay is a pretty spot.

Thanks. If that's the case, then we will probably just buy our own equipment to bring along.

That's exactly what we did before our first cruise, and we have more than made up the savings having our own equipment using it multiple locations. We also used in in St. Thomas, just taking a cab to Coki beach and snorkeling from shore, used in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, etc. Plus, it's nice having better equipment, not using shared equipment, etc. You can buy fairly decent equipment even on Amazon for good prices- Cressi, Promate, etc. You can purchase snorkel vests too that deflate/fold up.

We have been on 2 cruises and been to Coco Cay twice. The first time, we didn't discover the best beach for snorkeling until late in the day. You want to make sure that you go to the beach all the way to the left when you get off the tender. In the afternoon, we went pretty far out on the left. We had EXCELLENT snorkeling. Hundreds of fish (literally!), many varieties. Earlier in day, when we didn't go as far out, saw a decent amount of fish, tons of seargent majors, a small sting ray just yards from shore, saw a spotted eel, etc. If you don't go to that beach, your snorkeling won't be good.

That's exactly what we did before our first cruise, and we have more than made up the savings having our own equipment using it multiple locations. We also used in in St. Thomas, just taking a cab to Coki beach and snorkeling from shore, used in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, etc. Plus, it's nice having better equipment, not using shared equipment, etc. You can buy fairly decent equipment even on Amazon for good prices- Cressi, Promate, etc. You can purchase snorkel vests too that deflate/fold up.

We have been on 2 cruises and been to Coco Cay twice. The first time, we didn't discover the best beach for snorkeling until late in the day. You want to make sure that you go to the beach all the way to the left when you get off the tender. In the afternoon, we went pretty far out on the left. We had EXCELLENT snorkeling. Hundreds of fish (literally!), many varieties. Earlier in day, when we didn't go as far out, saw a decent amount of fish, tons of seargent majors, a small sting ray just yards from shore, saw a spotted eel, etc. If you don't go to that beach, your snorkeling won't be good.

Also, go out to where the buoys are that mark the plane and ship, lots to see there. More at the plane, which is by a lifeguard tower, than what you can see at the ship, but definitely worth going out to see.

That is a common way to go and I' will say this is one of my favorite snorkel spots. My daughter had he underwater camera and videod a couple of manatees.

RCI owns coco cay. The excursion is the rental of the equipment basically. You can bring your own, but you must wear a life jacket, which if memory serves correctly, they will rent to you.

Regarding the snorkel vest, we brought our own snorkeling equipment (mask, fins snorkel, no vest) and did not need the vest.

Prior to Cococay, I went to the "scuba shop" on board (can't remember the name, but it was on the pool deck) and asked if I had my own snorkel gear would I be able to snorkel without the vest and was told "that would be fine". There are signs on the beach indicating the vest was mandatory, but no one who brought their own equipment was wearing one. If you rented, then yes, you needed the vest.

This was on the 12/27/15 Anthem sailing.

I used my scuba mask fins, snorkel and bought my wife new, dedicated snorkeling gear. Her equipment cost less than the rental and appeared to be of better quality. Even if it isn't, we're already ahead.

Edited by neflier

Regarding the snorkel vest, we brought our own snorkeling equipment (mask, fins snorkel, no vest) and did not need the vest.

Prior to Cococay, I went to the "scuba shop" on board (can't remember the name, but it was on the pool deck) and asked if I had my own snorkel gear would I be able to snorkel without the vest and was told "that would be fine". There are signs on the beach indicating the vest was mandatory, but no one who brought their own equipment was wearing one. If you rented, then yes, you needed the vest.....

Interesting, this must be a change of policy. We have been to Coco Cay before when the lifeguards would tell people that they had to wear a vest, regardless of whether they were using their own equipment.

Regarding the snorkel vest, we brought our own snorkeling equipment (mask, fins snorkel, no vest) and did not need it.

Prior to Cococay, I went to the "scuba shop" on board (can't remember the name, but it was on the pool deck) and asked if I had my own snorkel gear would I be able to snorkel without the vest and was told "that would be fine". There are signs on the beach indicating the vest was mandatory, but no one who brought their own equipment was wearing one. If you rented, then yes, you needed the vest.

This was on the 12/27/15 Anthem sailing.

I used my scuba mask fins, snorkel and bought my wife new, dedicated snorkeling gear. Her equipment cost less than the rental and appeared to be of better quality. Even if it isn't, we're already ahead.

We bring our own snorkel equipment too, much more cost effective. We do not own snorkel vests and have been sent back in by the lifeguards to go rent a vest. If you stay close to shore, they leave you alone, but when we were out by the plane, the lifeguard blew his whistle and sent us in.

We haven't been there in two years so maybe they have changed the policy, but we have been whistled to go back in as early as 2007 and as recent as two years ago. We figure it is worth trying before wasting the money on the rental.:eek::p

Interesting, this must be a change of policy. We have been to Coco Cay before when the lifeguards would tell people that they had to wear a vest, regardless of whether they were using their own equipment.

Or more likely a different lifeguard that chose not to enforce policy.

• 1 year later...

People tell you that, but it isn't enforced. I've snorkeled 4 times at Coco Cay without it.