Saint John, New Brunswick gears up to host unplanned cruise ships stops

kazu

Just over 25 years ago, Saint John, New Brunswick became a port stop when it harboured a cruise ship during a hurricane. The ship was so impressed they decided to return and the rest is history ;)

The port authorities are busy now arranging tours, plans for changes in the itineraries.

October 13th will see three cruise ships in port when only 1 was planned. Anthem of the Seas, Disney Dream & Carnival Pride. Both Disney Dream and the Pride have wisely changed their complete itinerary. (Disney Dream was doing a Caribbean I believe & the Carnival Pride was going to do a Bahamas).

That's a lot of people for this "best little city in the East" (as a former Mayor called this city) but knowing the port and the people of Saint John as I do, I know that the passengers will be well cared for :) and the Meet and Greet teams will be out in full force.

No word yet if any will come to be harboured because of the storm but if they do, we are here to help.

Edited by kazu

Sure wish I was on a 'dam cruise someplace. :D

That being said, our home and property have fortunately been spared any serious damage. Even kept our power all night and today thus far. I know that others here on the boards from Florida (and Ga, SC and NC yet) likely have had problems though and I hope they all are safe and well.

It is so interesting to note how people everywhere are so willing to do whatever they can to accommodate those displaced by Mother Nature, even if it is a cruise ship! :D

That being said, our home and property have fortunately been spared any serious damage. Even kept our power all night and today thus far. I know that others here on the boards from Florida (and Ga, SC and NC yet) likely have had problems though and I hope they all are safe and well.

It is so interesting to note how people everywhere are so willing to do whatever they can to accommodate those displaced by Mother Nature, even if it is a cruise ship! :D

Glad to see you posting Rich and know you are safe :).

I join you in your wishes for everyone to be safe and well and hopefully those that were told to evacuate did so.

Is there docking for 3 ships there or will some have to tender?

Also, I know Carnival Pride was supposed to visit Saint John this week but bailed out and overnighted in New York as the storm became a continuing threat. From what we know now they would have been better off continuing to Saint John. For next week they got a little more warning of the change of plans. On the current trip there were some upset people because they were notified at the last minute of the change and were expecting warmer temperatures.

I wish Pride would do that itinerary more often instead of waiting until they have no choice. If they did more cruises like this I would be more likely to consider them rather than the Grandeur of the Seas (an I think it was there this week). I might do more of my Baltimore cruises with Carnival if they had some better itineraries.

Roy

Roy

Also, I know Carnival Pride was supposed to visit Saint John this week but bailed out and overnighted in New York as the storm became a continuing threat. From what we know now they would have been better off continuing to Saint John. For next week they got a little more warning of the change of plans. On the current trip there were some upset people because they were notified at the last minute of the change and were expecting warmer temperatures.

I wish Pride would do that itinerary more often instead of waiting until they have no choice. If they did more cruises like this I would be more likely to consider them rather than the Grandeur of the Seas (an I think it was there this week). I might do more of my Baltimore cruises with Carnival if they had some better itineraries.

Roy

Roy

With the new dock and terminal, I believe there is room for 3 but not 100% sure as the Anthem is a BIG ship. I know the port is tearing around figuring things out ;) I suspect one of ships may have to use the other one? They are all showing as docking on the schedule so far.

Their port's main concern is the unloading and loading of goods and cargo. They got new ones which reach longer but they are concerned about the time it is going to take to handle the three ships. I think the gadgets also manage the gangways?

Edited by kazu

We have sailed to St. John three times and found the locals extremely welcoming. The welcoming committee even includes their namesake dogs. People on the street stop to chat and the send off is the best. [emoji592][emoji594][emoji597][emoji965][emoji593] and people circle the loop and residents line the hill as you depart. Wonderful port.

We have sailed to St. John three times and found the locals extremely welcoming. The welcoming committee even includes their namesake dogs. People on the street stop to chat and the send off is the best. [emoji592][emoji594][emoji597][emoji965][emoji593] and people circle the loop and residents line the hill as you depart. Wonderful port.

If you're talking about Newfoundland dogs, you're talking about a different place. St. John's is in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Saint John is in New Brunswick, which is closer to most of the Canadian/New England routes. I'm sure the city will do everything they can to help the masses of passengers have a good visit. We've been there three times (I think) and always enjoyed it.

Thanks to 3rdGenCunarder for clarification [emoji33]

My first thought on reading your post was Hey, I didn't get to see any Newfies! (great dogs!) Then I realized you were talking about a different place.

When I was researching the reversing rapids in Saint John NB, I checked out the port of call boards, and there were many people asking about the wrong city. Some of the corrects were a bit "emphatic," so I am now very careful about that.

My first thought on reading your post was Hey, I didn't get to see any Newfies! (great dogs!) Then I realized you were talking about a different place.

When I was researching the reversing rapids in Saint John NB, I checked out the port of call boards, and there were many people asking about the wrong city. Some of the corrects were a bit "emphatic," so I am now very careful about that.

LOL on the "emphatic" - probably for protective reasons for the posters (I hope). There are far too many stories of people going to Saint John calling it St. John and ending up in Newfoundland.. It's a long flight back to Saint John:)

Even I always check my luggage tags to be safe :). Airport attendants make mistakes too:eek:

Kazu - we love Saint John ... have been there twice, once by car and once by ship.

It's hard to imagine the crowds in the town with 3 ships all in one day. With 1 ship in town it was hard to get a ticket on the hoho trolley.:D

Our favorite place in Saint John is the New Brunswick Museum in Market Square. Lots of good stuff to see. :)

Edited by summersigh

We wre in Saint John at least 8-10 times. I savedone of the small Canaeda flag lapelpins they gave me DH each as wr disembarked. Hope. I'm ingeresteed to hear if they still make all gurrestss go yhtrough y the craft/ souvenirr tent before you can straight to the street No. exceptions. :D

:):) The distinction is that it is St John, NB and St Johns, Nfld

Actually Frank, it is Saint John, N.B. And St. Johns, Nfld. There is no abbreviation if you want to arrive in New Brunswick ;)

Not really related but sort of. I watched Disney Magic leave New York today and the AIS had the destination listed as Sydney NB. I doubt it.

Roy

LOL Roy :) :D:p

They do have Sydney, Nova Scotia on their itinerary I believe. They go there before they come here

Edited by kazu

We wre in Saint John at least 8-10 times. I savedone of the small Canaeda flag lapelpins they gave me DH each as wr disembarked. Hope. I'm ingeresteed to hear if they still make all gurrestss go yhtrough y the craft/ souvenirr tent before you can straight to the street No. exceptions. :D

I'm pretty sure we had to walk through the tent. It's like museums--the exit takes you through the gift shop. HMC and Grand Turk funnel people through the shops, too.

Some of the vendors in the Saint John tent had more than just souvenirs. I don't think I've bought anything there. I'm trying to control the amount of "stuff" that comes home with me.

While this thread is on the subject of confusion, HAL seems to be confused about its Canadian ports. On our recent cruise, we did not go to Saint John (or St.John's). But the day we were in PEI, the photo in On Location was Barbour's General Store. Last time I saw that store, it was in Saint John...

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

There were three ships in port when I was there last October.1174b7e6478f6a5aac8cffd2a71adf0b.jpg

The cruise before the one I was on was supposed to go to Bermuda but went north because of Joaquin. I don't think they went as far north as Saint John, however.

Edited by Scrapnana

Just over 25 years ago, Saint John, New Brunswick became a port stop when it harboured a cruise ship during a hurricane. The ship was so impressed they decided to return and the rest is history ;)

The port authorities are busy now arranging tours, plans for changes in the itineraries.

October 13th will see three cruise ships in port when only 1 was planned. Anthem of the Seas, Disney Dream & Carnival Pride. Both Disney Dream and the Pride have wisely changed their complete itinerary. (Disney Dream was doing a Caribbean I believe & the Carnival Pride was going to do a Bahamas).

That's a lot of people for this "best little city in the East" (as a former Mayor called this city) but knowing the port and the people of Saint John as I do, I know that the passengers will be well cared for :) and the Meet and Greet teams will be out in full force.

No word yet if any will come to be harboured because of the storm but if they do, we are here to help.

We had a great time in St John last year. We booked a tour called "St John Uncorked" where we visited local breweries, a wine vendor in the market and an olive oil and vinegar shop. Had such fun sampling New Brunswick products. A very welcoming and friendly city!

Glad to hear you two came through it all OK.

Roy

Roy

Anchoring and tendering is not an option here because of the high tides, narrow channel and extremely swift currents.

However, in the earlier days of our cruise ship visits, some used to dock on the west side of the harbour in the industrial part of the port. I suppose in a crunch, a cruise ship could still be accommodated there. The port used to provide a free shuttle to the business side of the harbour.

I remember when the old Queen Mary visited for the first time and it was docked over there. When she left it seemed half the city was out to watch. I had a pass to be on the dock so got to watch up close and personal. People cheered and car horns sounded. What a send off that was!!

Ummm, that would be St. John's, NL. :)

Yes, thanks for that apostrophe. My late mother-in-law was born in Newfoundland in 1911.

This discussion of unexpected arrivals reminds me of 9/11/2001 when the wonderful people of Gander, NL, took thousands of international travelers into their homes and public buildings after flights were grounded. Strangers were fed, given laundry tokens, free sightseeing, interpreters, and every possible measure of hospitality for days. Virtually all the citizens of the small city and surrounding towns pitched in to help.

If you ever get to Gander, the whole story is told at their wonderful aviation museum.