King's Day

bellebaby

Good Morning.

I just received the following e-mail from HAL.

We are happy that you will be on board Noordam on April 27, which is King's Day, a national holiday in the Netherlands in honor of King Willem-Alexander's birthday. With our company's deep history and roots in the Netherlands, we are proud to celebrate this day on board Holland America Line ships around the world. King's Day is marked by various festivities throughout the Netherlands, and a common theme is an abundance of the color orange, the national color of the Netherlands and the Dutch Royal Family. So as you prepare for your cruise, we encourage you to consider packing something orange to wear on April 27. Whether it's an orange hat, tie, socks or necklace, your 'touch of the Dutch' will fit right in during our King's Day celebrations.

Has anyone experienced King's Day on board a HAL ship?

B

If you live by a Michael's craft store they usually have coloured t-shirts for $5-$7. They always have online coupons. We too will be on a HAL ship on King's day - looking forward to the celebration.

We were on ships a couple of times on April 27 -- there was hardly anyone wearing orange and we never got any pre-notice to bring something orange to wear. I don't even remember any mention of it on the ships.

One ship was the Ryndam when we were repositioning from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle. And the other one was Maasdam going from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal.

We're from the Houston area and have several orange Houston Astros TShirts... don't think that will work in the MDR! Maybe I'll have to take POA1's suggestion and wear my life jacket. :D

I, too, look forward to the celebration.

B

We were on ships a couple of times on April 27 -- there was hardly anyone wearing orange and we never got any pre-notice to bring something orange to wear. I don't even remember any mention of it on the ships.

One ship was the Ryndam when we were repositioning from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle. And the other one was Maasdam going from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal.

I just read that King Willem-Alexander ascended to the throne on April 30, 2013. Were your sailings prior to that date?

B

I got the same email. The header for the email was a little over-the-top for "bring something orange":

"Important Notification for Booking #ABC1DEF, Slidergirl"

I thought that the CCers already onboard the Eurodam complained that us "low lifes" doing the 4 day repo would be ruining the end of their trans-Canal cruise and that HAL decided to cancel the 4 day reservations...

I don't do orange, either. But, I do have a blaze orange vest (looks like a hunting/safety vest) that I wear when I'm out on the trails in hunting season - that will look nice in the MDR at dinner!

I got the email too. Problem is I don't own any orange LOL

Problem? Huh ? :D I call that a bonus....... An excuse to go shopping. :) An orange scarf, an orange, handbag, t shirt, sun visor,,,,,,,,,,,, surely you could find a use for one or another. In order to join the fun. :)

Yes -- now I know why we never heard of this celebration.

Thank you for the information.

His mother, Queen Beatrix, reigned for 33 years. Did HAL celebrate Queen's Day?

Wikipedia says:

On Koninginnedag (Queen's Day), 30 April 2013, Beatrix abdicated in favour of her eldest son, Willem-Alexander, and resumed the title of princess.

You could sport your life jacket all day. :D

What a hoot!!!

I'd already ordered two orange tops (one casual for the day and a nice blouse for MDR) back in January, knowing that I would be on Zaandam on April 27.

But I have decided that I WILL wear my life jacket (accessorized by orange mardi gras beads) to our M&G, which will occur on Koningsdag, first sea day. I'll post pictures. That is, if I'm not detained by Security on my way up to the CN:):).

Edited by Av8rix

I got the same email. The header for the email was a little over-the-top for "bring something orange":

I thought that the CCers already onboard the Eurodam complained that us "low lifes" doing the 4 day repo would be ruining the end of their trans-Canal cruise and that HAL decided to cancel the 4 day reservations...

I don't do orange, either. But, I do have a blaze orange vest (looks like a hunting/safety vest) that I wear when I'm out on the trails in hunting season - that will look nice in the MDR at dinner!

Too funny! We are slinking aboard the NA for the 4 day cruise of shame too. Maybe our orange tees will help us blend in.

We will be aboard the Noordam for King's Day. I will be sporting my favorite orange tie and socks. Simple accessories to help acknowledge and celebrate the day.

Good Plan. Have fun. :)

If I remember the thread correctly it was posters on the NA that made that comment. Not those on the eurodam.

I have my doubts. I find opinions expressed here are rately found onboard. Of course there are exceptions

Notice the crickets... No one stepping up to say that 4-nighters are not a different crowd and that we change the environment... I started out with this tongue-in-cheek, but now, I'm not sure that this is what I'm going to find. Good thing I have a great cabin in a great location so I only have to go up/down one deck to do anything I wanted to do.

Amazing! This thread, both in subject line and message content, started as a simple discussion of the observance of Koningsdag aboard our ships. You’d think that this thread would be immune from the strife that has lately become a feature of this forum, particularly threads that have triggered participation by certain posters. But even a thread on such a benign subject has somehow degenerated into the contentious back and forth that seems to have permeated our board recently.

Amazing! This thread, both in subject line and message content, started as a simple discussion of the observance of Koningsdag aboard our ships. You’d think that this thread would be immune from the strife that has lately become a feature of this forum, particularly threads that have triggered participation by certain posters. But even a thread on such a benign subject has somehow degenerated into the contentious back and forth that seems to have permeated our board recently.

Will be considered as rocking the boat if I bring my blaze orange jogging vest to wear all day/evening long on King's Day??? Or, do I have to go out shopping for something orange to wear that will never be worn again?

Lighten up a little and notice that much of what people think is "strife" is lightheaded sarcastic banter...