King's Day

bellebaby

Will be considered as rocking the boat if I bring my blaze orange jogging vest to wear all day/evening long on King's Day??? Or, do I have to go out shopping for something orange to wear that will never be worn again?

Lighten up a little and notice that much of what people think is "strife" is lightheaded sarcastic banter...

You'll be fine with whatever you bring. I've done a couple repo cruises in conjunction with longer cruises. While the food tends to be of a cheaper variety I have not noticed anything other than that. I've seen several cruisers on longer cruises that I wouldn't call polite. Please don't take to heart what one or two cruisers say.

You'll be fine with whatever you bring. I've done a couple repo cruises in conjunction with longer cruises. While the food tends to be of a cheaper variety I have not noticed anything other than that. I've seen several cruisers on longer cruises that I wouldn't call polite. Please don't take to heart what one or two cruisers say.

Fortunately, I don't care what others think of me when I'm on vacation. Food - as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing other than mediocre anyway on a ship. I've got my foodie fix all arranged night before the cruise leaves - Juniper and Ivy, chef's counter :p After that, it'll be salads where I can get them and one night at Tamarind. Suits me just fine.

Back to orange and King's Day:

I was putting some socks away just a few minutes ago - found a pair of blaze orange running socks in the drawer. I think they'd be great with flats and an LBD that night. I'm coming up with a whole classy outfit for this night ;-)

We will board the Westerdam on King's Day, and got the same request. I found orange shirts for both of us, and they're waiting to be packed. Even though we don't wear a lot of orange, it didn't hurt too badly buying the shirts...we live in Houston, so we can always wear them to Astros games!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will be considered as rocking the boat if I bring my blaze orange jogging vest to wear all day/evening long on King's Day??? Or, do I have to go out shopping for something orange to wear that will never be worn again?

Lighten up a little and notice that much of what people think is "strife" is lightheaded sarcastic banter...

Try ebay. Have fun for only a few bucks and a few extra ounces in your suitcase: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-Loose-Blouse-Tops-Summer-Cardigan-Shirt-Shawl-Casual-Thin-Sweater-Outwear-/282130402867?var=581093766200&hash=item41b0484e33:g:rxcAAOSwMtxXqygR

Good Morning.

I just received the following e-mail from HAL.

We are happy that you will be on board Noordam on April 27, which is King's Day, a national holiday in the Netherlands in honor of King Willem-Alexander's birthday. With our company's deep history and roots in the Netherlands, we are proud to celebrate this day on board Holland America Line ships around the world. King's Day is marked by various festivities throughout the Netherlands, and a common theme is an abundance of the color orange, the national color of the Netherlands and the Dutch Royal Family. So as you prepare for your cruise, we encourage you to consider packing something orange to wear on April 27. Whether it's an orange hat, tie, socks or necklace, your 'touch of the Dutch' will fit right in during our King's Day celebrations.

Has anyone experienced King's Day on board a HAL ship?

B

"The Dutch Store" may be able to help you celebrate.

http://www.thedutchstore.com/webstore/home.aspx?topseq=1

I found the following relevant products:

Orange hat #162601 for $15.99.

Orange hat # 162603 for $19.99.

Orange scarf #162605 for $19.99.

Large wooden tulip - orange #196205 for $2.99.

Small orange soccer ball #162632 for $13.99.

Orange shopping bag #16170 for $3.99 doesn't have a picture.

Compact umbrella #4561102 for $14.99 is shown in orange.

Orange banner #162525 for $7.95 is out of stock.

Large banner #162620 for $19.99 is out of stock.

Being of Dutch heritage, we wish we could be there to participate in all the fun!!

I''l be on the Zdam for Kday, and will wear a striped orange shirt. If peeps are too cheap to get a significant orange apparel (socks and ties are lame), then fooey on them :).

Who is to say if someone is "cheap." If you want to pay for us to wear "significant apparel", send us your email address and we'll send you the bill ;-)

I'm bringing the running vest!!!

"The Dutch Store" may be able to help you celebrate.

http://www.thedutchstore.com/webstore/home.aspx?topseq=1

I found the following relevant products:

Orange hat #162601 for $15.99.

Orange hat # 162603 for $19.99.

Orange scarf #162605 for $19.99.

Large wooden tulip - orange #196205 for $2.99.

Small orange soccer ball #162632 for $13.99.

Orange shopping bag #16170 for $3.99 doesn't have a picture.

Compact umbrella #4561102 for $14.99 is shown in orange.

Orange banner #162525 for $7.95 is out of stock.

Large banner #162620 for $19.99 is out of stock.

Being of Dutch heritage, we wish we could be there to participate in all the fun!!

You missed my favorite: plush "wooden" slippers.

http://www.thedutchstore.com/webstore/productinfo.aspx?itemno=3400436&code=161&list=105A251A161&type=ITEMCATEGORY

Now those would be FUN!

You missed my favorite: plush "wooden" slippers.

Now those would be FUN!

Those are perfect! Adorable, in the spirit of wearing orange, not expensive. And easy to pack & wear. Great find.

I''l be on the Zdam for Kday, and will wear a striped orange shirt. If peeps are too cheap to get a significant orange apparel (socks and ties are lame), then fooey on them :).

What's lame are personal attacks, my dear. Ties and socks are sexy. You wear your shirt snd work if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Good Morning.

We are happy that you will be on board Noordam on April 27, which is King's Day, a national holiday in the Netherlands in honor of King Willem-Alexander's birthday. With our company's deep history and roots in the Netherlands, we are proud to celebrate this day on board Holland America Line ships around the world. King's Day is marked by various festivities throughout the Netherlands, and a common theme is an abundance of the color orange, the national color of the Netherlands and the Dutch Royal Family. So as you prepare for your cruise, we encourage you to consider packing something orange to wear on April 27. Whether it's an orange hat, tie, socks or necklace, your 'touch of the Dutch' will fit right in during our King's Day celebrations.

B

So...how did it go?????

Good Morning.

B

We received such an email prior to our Panama Canal cruise on the NA in April. Problem was, we were already on a seven day Caribbean cruise that was to run back to back with the Panama cruise.

I did find a white TShirt with a few splashes of orange and yellow already packed and my husband had a shirt that had a few thin lines of orange in the pattern. We wore them on King's day and it was nice to see that so many passengers had entered into the spirit of the day as there were splashes of orange being worn all over the ship. They ranged from totally orange shirts to a scarf, piece of jewelry, purse etc----bits of orange everywhere.

That was the first day that I took notice and realized the significance of the tiny orange accents on the new serving staff uniforms.

As Sapper1 above noted - we were already on the ship when the notice went out about King's Day. Fortunately, I had an orange cardigan with me, so I wore that all day, and most passengers had something with orange in it. It was nice to see so many in the spirit of the day. That evening we went to the Pinnacle Grill and changed to more formal wear - no orange. The staff had a small orange bow pin, as did the PG manager. We apologised for not having any orange and he said enough orange already! He was Dutch, btw.

We were on board the Rotterdam for King's Day.

I never received such an email from HAL, but, fortunately, I hate an orange t/sweater that I had packed which matches various things, so I wore it that night.

So...how did it go?????

IMO... King's Day was a non-event. I wore a few orange accessories as did others onboard. There was a "King's Day Street Market" (The shops set up tables around the pool), "King's Day Afternoon Tea" and "King's Day Orange Party" in the Crow's Nest starting at 9 p.m. Also, it was "Dutch Night" in the Main Dining Room.

The cruise itself was very relaxing. Food and service were great!

B

Koningsdam was an anti climax!

I brought an orange polo shirt and a few others wore orange. Staff had an orange bow pinned to their uniforms and their was Dutch Apple Pie for desert in MDR.