Buying a drink package before or on board - here is a bit of advice.....

tartana

My daughter purchased a premium non alcohol package for our cruise on Silhouette in September. From reading all the reviews, many people said if it didn't go on sale previously, to wait and buy it onboard from a bartender you would like to "receive" the credit for selling it (whatever percentage they get - I'm not sure). So after checking day after day for months, it never went on sale, so she waited. The price was always $207.68 including gratuity on the website. When she purchased onboard, BECAUSE we were in Spain, she had to pay an added tax for Spain totally $225. SO, the info I had gotten previously is not always correct. Just to give people a heads up. I was not impressed because I checked it on our Cruise Planner so many times and ended up waiting.....to pay more...... Just for your info - I'm not sure how many countries this applies to, but it did for Spain according to what they told us at Reception.

There have been several posts, in the past, covering this topic that in Spain and possibly several other countries, when you purchase most anything while in their ports or within territorial waters, VAT is obligated to be collected, per law.

Sorry you paid more though.

I trust you enjoyed the sailing regardless.

bon voyage

Yes, I said I read all the reviews...I should have said I read several reviews - and none of them touched on this. I am a very thorough researcher and perused the boards for months and didn't see that one. Too bad - hope it doesn't happen to others as well. And yes, we LOVED our cruise on Silhouette. I just felt especially bad because it was my 24 year old daughter who was buying her own package, so she had to pay the extra :( When I told her it would be the same as it had been online all along. No big deal...

So much info on this board that it's easy to miss some of the "tips". Thankfully this miss only cost $17.

That said, I usually wait until I'm onboard to upgrade (checking to ensure that certain departure ports won't cost me extra $ in taxes). I upgrade my DW with our waiter in the main dining room and upgrade myself with the sommelier in the wine bar (if the ship has Cellar Masters). In both instances I feel (but obviously no way to quantify) that the service and wines offered are better than in the past when I upgraded before boarding.

Some US ports will also charge a sales tax. Normally the staff will wait to process it until the ship is outside the area.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We're due to take a repositioning out of Valparaiso Chile. I read that it has a 19% VAT. Is that also applicable to the cruise ship drinks packages. Has anyone experience?

I have no experience with Chile but once, when I didn't have a package, I purchased a drink before sailaway in Florida and tax was added to my bill.

Now when we get the upgrade (all of our recent cruises have come with the Classic package) I always ask the person I'm purchasing it from (and I also try to find a favorite waiter or sommelier to get it from) if they will "hold" the ticket until we are in International waters. They always know exactly what I mean and have always done so.

I have no experience with Chile but once, when I didn't have a package, I purchased a drink before sailaway in Florida and tax was added to my bill.

Now when we get the upgrade (all of our recent cruises have come with the Classic package) I always ask the person I'm purchasing it from (and I also try to find a favorite waiter or sommelier to get it from) if they will "hold" the ticket until we are in International waters. They always know exactly what I mean and have always done so.

this is good to know - We were happy to have purchased it from who we did - In the future, I will know this tip - thanks!

It depends which "International" waters you will be in. I know that on our Italy and Greece cruise that we will have to pay the VAT. Somehow I came across this info and became quite upset. From what I gathered, if I pre- purchase online the beverage package or other items before the cruise, then there will be no VAT.

What about doing this when cruising from San Juan to various islands? Is it still better to upgrade on board and ask them to hold any tax?

Not sure if PR is a jurisdiction where local tax is to be collected while in port and/or in territorial waters, yet after the debacle of the storms this year, it would not surprize me if they put one in place.

You do mean hold off processing until in a tax free zone, correct? Which means you would not be able to use the package until payment is processed.

bon voyage

Not sure if PR is a jurisdiction where local tax is to be collected while in port and/or in territorial waters, yet after the debacle of the storms this year, it would not surprize me if they put one in place.

You do mean hold off processing until in a tax free zone, correct? Which means you would not be able to use the package until payment is processed.

bon voyage

That's NOT been our experience.

We book the upgrade (from Classic to Premium) on the ship but before we sail. Then we use it immediately and it doesn't get charged until later in the evening when we're not in port.

We've done this multiple times with no problem and , as I said, the bartenders all know exactly what we're asking and why.

That's NOT been our experience.

We book the upgrade (from Classic to Premium) on the ship but before we sail. Then we use it immediately and it doesn't get charged until later in the evening when we're not in port.

We've done this multiple times with no problem and , as I said, the bartenders all know exactly what we're asking and why.

First hand experience, nothing like it. Follow c's example and all will be well...

Thank you c for the information.

bon voyage

My understanding from reading a number of threads is the application of VAT is dependent upon the itinerary of the ship.

If all of the ports are EC members then VAT has to be charged for on board purchases. If your itinerary has at least one non-ec port then the ship normally process the charges while in international waters.

Something you might check sometime is the purchase of a sail away drink. We were recently sailing out of FLL and were charged sales tax for the round of drinks I purchased for sail away but was not charged for the second round after we departed.

• 3 months later...

We cruise from Barcelona in September. When we are in the Caribbean, we like to upgrade at the bar we are more likely to frequent (bartenders really appreciate this). Looks like upgrading prior to the cruise might be our best move.

Sailing out of Civitavecchia this summer, sounds like a good idea to upgrade before we board (ports visited are in Italy and Spain) to ensure VAT doesn't get charged.

If you go to Gibraltar, I don’t think you’ll be charged VAT. Upgrade after sail away just to be certain.