Early Flight After Cruise (Port Canaveral)

There is a flight that leaves Orlando at 11:20am following my cruise on Freedom. The only other flight that day leaves at 4:30pm. Do you think the 11:20 flight is going to be cutting it way too close? Should I just take the later flight and be safe?

It "can" be done, and I have done it - but we did walk off with our luggage and had a hired town car waiting for us to get off the ship and we did not have to deal with gathering our luggage, or a rental car.

It definately is cutting it close - and a bit of a stressful way to end a great week if the ship doesnt clear early for some reason

PC to Orlando will take 45 minutes. With check in time at the airport you would probably want to be out of customs by 9:30 to be at the airport an hour before your departure. I hear that PC is a wonderful and well-run operation, but ... If anything holds you up in getting off the ship you could miss your flight. I always play it conservatively. I won't book a departing flight before noon. I'd hate to end a great vacation with unexpected troubles getting home. Having said all that, I have not made the PC -Orlando connection personally. I'm sure someone with personal experience will offer their thoughts soon.

Take the later flight. RCCL will try to get you off the boat early (7 am-ish) but then getting you luggage and everything else will be tight. Plus, the Orlando airport is an hour from Port Canaveral. The Port is chaos on Sunday mornings; Disney Wonder is in port, so is a Carnival boat, and Freedom. So, there is about 5000+ people in the Port on Sundays. We did a VIP tour of Kennedy Space Center the day we disembarked from Mariner. It was a great tour, our kids loved it, and it was a great way to spend the day. Just an idea!

-Bill

We returned from our cruise 6 weeks ago and had the same decision to make. We chose the 4:30 flight. We left the ship about 8:45 and Cocoa Beach Shuttle was supposed to pick us up at 9:00. We waited an hour because a family was going to miss their flight at MCO and they wanted to take them first. So we had to wait on another van that was on its way back from the airport. We stood (in the sun) and talked to other passengers and it wasn't too bad. Orlando airport is so nice we ate lunch, played on the computer, and the time went pretty fast.

Take the later flight. RCCL will try to get you off the boat early (7 am-ish) but then getting you luggage and everything else will be tight. Plus, the Orlando airport is an hour from Port Canaveral. The Port is chaos on Sunday mornings; Disney Wonder is in port, so is a Carnival boat, and Freedom. So, there is about 5000+ people in the Port on Sundays. We did a VIP tour of Kennedy Space Center the day we disembarked from Mariner. It was a great tour, our kids loved it, and it was a great way to spend the day. Just an idea!

-Bill

All the ships use different terminals, so the amount of ships in port is irrelevant, leave ship at 7.30, on the road by 8.00 arrive MCO 8.45, can be done very easily, as long as everything goes to plan.

We had an 11:40 flight in July. We booked cocoa beach shuttle for the earliest time. We did the express debarkation and we were at the airport by 8:30 a.m. We even managed to get on an earlier flight. I wouldn't book an earlier than the 11:00 and later. You are much futher out from the airport than MIA or FLL.

We did it with out self assist and lost suitcase. We were just filling out a form for the lost suitcase when one of the porters found it. It took us about an hour to get our luggage but we still made the 11:30 flight. It beats hanging around all day for a flight.

Take the later flight. Customs at Port Canaveral is usually very fast and efficient, however any little thing can cause a backup. We were on Sovereign about 5 years ago. Someone in the terminal pulled a fire alarm and no one could leave the ship. We didn't disembark until like 10:00-10:30 (I will add that we were one of the last to leave). PC is located about 45 minutes from MCO. If traffic is heavy, you may not make it. The last and most common backup is security at MCO. While they too are fast and efficient, the lines can be very long with lots of families. The last time we cruised out of PC a year ago we took the NASA tour with airport dropoff and found the tour to be very interesting and convenient. One more thing, MCO is a very nice airport with lots of shopping and restaurants. There is plenty of things to do while waiting for your plane. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Anne:)

• 6 years later...

This is my first ever use of CC...please forgive me if I do anything wrong =)

In reply to your post below, was your flight out of Orlando??

I have cruised out of port canaveral 7 times now and every time I have made an 11:05 flight. I agree with what was already said, do self assist with your luggage and make your own travel arrangements. I am usually at the airport by 9

we have booked our flight already out of Orlando at 11am ( not sure what I was thinking ) we are on the Freedom which sails back into PC

We are not sure what our best option is to getting back to Orlando airport

My husband does not want to drive so that is out.....any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

we have booked our flight already out of Orlando at 11am ( not sure what I was thinking ) we are on the Freedom which sails back into PC

My husband does not want to drive so that is out.....any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

I would engage a private car service from Executive VIP Transportation, so you don't have to wait for a shuttle to fill. I would also opt for self-assist disembarkation, and get in line early, so you can be one of the first off the ship.

Edited by clarea

That's cutting it way too close for me! I have TSA Pre check and it still takes some time at MCO to get thru security. Do yourself a favor and enjoy a nice breakfast on board relax and take the later flight.

I would definitely make sure I had TSA Pre-check if I was trying to catch the earlier flight. Orlando security can be very long -- Pre-check can save you 20-30 minutes, which could make all the difference.

mac_tlc

We have booked our flight already and can't change it =(

What is TSA pre check????

That's cutting it way too close for me! I have TSA Pre check and it still takes some time at MCO to get thru security. Do yourself a favor and enjoy a nice breakfast on board relax and take the later flight.

We have booked our flight already and can't change it =(

What is TSA pre check????

TSA is the Transportation Security Administration. They are in charge of the security process at the airport. Americans can get TSA-precheck, which means that they have gone through special security screening and can now "jump the line" and not take off shoes, take out computer, etc, in the security line.

OH My Gosh!!! thank you so much for pointing that out!.....2009 may be just a wee bit old for current information =)

Thanks !!!!

Though the answers can be useful, try to notice the date things are posted on the left. You answered a post from 2009.:)

Unfortunately our flight is already booked and the cost to modify or cancel is more than the flight cost!!!

May just have to bit the bullet and see how things go

I will not book an earlier flight in the future!=(

Thanks for all the replies!!

It's doable but there is some risk.

If you don't like stress I would not do it.

Consider staying over and flying the next day if the later flight is too late for you.

Keith

Unfortunately our flight is already booked and the cost to modify or cancel is more than the flight cost!!!

May just have to bit the bullet and see how things go

I will not book an earlier flight in the future!=(

Thanks for all the replies!!

The important things are to have private transportation and get in line early for the self-assist disembarkation. You should be OK then.

Whatever you do, do not rely on a ship transfer. You will be on a big bus and they will wait til it's full before leaving. Book your own private transportation. If the cost scares you, remember you are paying for peace of mind to get to your flight without stressing.

The important things are to have private transportation and get in line early for the self-assist disembarkation. You should be OK then.

What Bob said. To self disembarkation, ie.do NOT put any of your bags in the hallway the night before. Carry everything off yourself in the morning. Disembark as soon as they start allowing self disembarkation. Have private transportation. I've only disembarked once at PC when I had a same day flight out of MCO. I self disembarked and had a private car waiting and I was at the airport and through security by 9:20 if I recall correctly.

Orlando Airport can have very long lines for security. Earlier this month I waited almost an hour in the security line, and that was in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday! Many people in line were going to miss their flights.

To save some time, you might want to check your bags in curbside if the line inside is very long. That could save you some valuable time.