Embarking/Disembarking in Port Everglades on a Saturday

Pam in CA

We just got off the Crown o Saturday and there were a lot of ships in port. Maybe somewhere around five could have been six....sorry I didn't count them....We were parked across from the Oasis. She really is HUGE !!! Once we got off the ship I hailed a cab with no problem....cabs all over the place... He wasn't too happy, when I asked him to take us to Starbucks on 17th Street. We had a later flight and didn't want to get to the airport too early

We just got off the Crown o Saturday and there were a lot of ships in port. Maybe somewhere around five could have been six....sorry I didn't count them....We were parked across from the Oasis. She really is HUGE !!! Once we got off the ship I hailed a cab with no problem....cabs all over the place... He wasn't too happy, when I asked him to take us to Starbucks on 17th Street. We had a later flight and didn't want to get to the airport too early
If the Oasis had any passengers disembarking (which they didn't have last Saturday), I suspect it would have been a very different scenario.

Hi There,

When we got of Crown on Sat, Ruby was in port, Costa Atlantic, Seranade of the Seas the big one, there was atleast one other smaller ship, and may be another one according to taxi driver,

was very concerned about getting a taxi so did late walk off, got held up in customs, as such it was about 11.00am,

as such was a constant stream of taxis arriving as such was able to walk

and get one with no wait.

However once got of early when Qm2 was in and others ques of around 2500 people in main car park total mess, just went back onboard ship.

People were still queing for transport at lunch time. It was around Christmas time

yours Shogun

I have a question for recent cruisers. Do you remember what time you ended up actually off the ship and looking for a cab? We arrive on a Saturday (same day as the Leviathan of the Seas and 5 other ships!) and our flight isn't until 1:00 but I was going to order a private car to pick us up just so I won't have to fight to get a cab.

I don't know what time to tell him to pick us up. Does 10:00 sound reasonable or is that late?

Hi There,

However once got of early when Qm2 was in and others ques of around 2500 people in main car park total mess, just went back onboard ship.

People were still queing for transport at lunch time. It was around Christmas time

yours Shogun

If you have disembarked, how do you re-board? I thought if you had cleared that was it end of vacation - this is good to know

Hi There,

When we got of Crown on Sat, Ruby was in port, Costa Atlantic, Seranade of the Seas the big one, there was atleast one other smaller ship, and may be another one according to taxi driver,

was very concerned about getting a taxi so did late walk off, got held up in customs, as such it was about 11.00am,

as such was a constant stream of taxis arriving as such was able to walk

yours Shogun

It was Enchantment of the Seas that was there, not Serenade. And HAL Eurodam was there too.

I am also departing Jan 9 - these are the ships scheduled in:

SAT 9 _ Costa Atlantica, Crown Princess, Discovery Sun, Eurodam, Independence of the Seas, MSC Poesia, Oasis of the Seas, Ruby Princess. this is from the Port Everglades website: http://www.portevergladesguide.com/cruiseguide2010/view.cgi?page_id=page_70

Cathe, thanks for posting that link. That's the same thing I'm looking at (hard copy) online, which is much easier for referencing on this board. If you look at March 30, 2010, it looks like it will be one of the worst days, at least through the summer with January 9 not too far behind. We're staying at a hotel with a free shuttle and I'm wondering if that's the best way to go, or if we should get a taxi to the port from the hotel.

When we will be leaving Crown Princess DEc5th I believe Oasis and others will be there FOR THE FIRST time ...SHOULD BE INTERESTING!!!!Our flight is NOONISH so hopeFully it will be Ok

I think fort Lauderdale will become ZOO LAUDERDALE on that day

Wish us luck!!!

Michele

Cathe, thanks for posting that link. That's the same thing I'm looking at (hard copy) online, which is much easier for referencing on this board. If you look at March 30, 2010, it looks like it will be one of the worst days, at least through the summer with January 9 not too far behind. We're staying at a hotel with a free shuttle and I'm wondering if that's the best way to go, or if we should get a taxi to the port from the hotel.

???March 30 is a Tuesday and there are only a couple of ships in port????

Thanks for info regarding 17th causeway. Do you remember, coming 595 from turnpike, where I get off to go to causeway. Not sure looking at map. Did not realize you could get in this way. Usually terminal 2 is used for Princess. Coming from Boca, so I have some idea. Thanks.

Get off 595 at US 1 north. Take 17th street east and turn right on Eisnhower. Security gate will be straight ahead. After security terminal 2 is right there on your left.

We are sailing on the Oasis in Oct at a great price. But back to the op's concern about many ships in port we have done this for years and its works every time. We ask to get off early (we do not carry our bags off). As soon as we walk into the luggage terminal we hold up a ten, sometimes a twenty and call for a porter. Believe me, these guys come running. He will gets our bags, and have us a taxi in no time flat. If you watch these men they walk right out into the road to stop the taxis. We have done this 5 times in FLL and at the airport each time by 9:30 am. It is well worth the extra 10 or 20. :D

. Believe me, these guys come running. He will gets our bags, and have us a taxi in no time flat. If you watch these men they walk right out into the road to stop the taxis. We have done this 5 times in FLL and at the airport each time by 9:30 am. It is well worth the extra 10 or 20. :D

Janet - the problem we encountered was that there were no taxis's at the pier. I am used to paying porters (well) but none of the porters could get taxis as there were no taxis for them to grab. This was right before Christmas and there were a record number of ships in port.

Janet - the problem we encountered was that there were no taxis's at the pier. I am used to paying porters (well) but none of the porters could get taxis as there were no taxis for them to grab. This was right before Christmas and there were a record number of ships in port.

Oh dear. Maybe Christmas Eve not as many drivers were working? :o Next Oct when we disembark the Oasis it will be a Sat and there are, I think, 4 other ships in port. We have decided to take our time off and stay over in FLL an extra night. Can't emagine what the airport will be like. :eek:

Oh dear. Maybe Christmas Eve not as many drivers were working? :o Next Oct when we disembark the Oasis it will be a Sat and there are, I think, 4 other ships in port. We have decided to take our time off and stay over in FLL an extra night. Can't emagine what the airport will be like. :eek:

I think it was the 22nd or 23rd of December and there were 11 plus ships in port. That week always has the most ships in port (some 10 day became 7 night cruises that year).

I have had problems 2x with no cabs to be found.

For those on the Crown on 1/9/10 and driving your own car, be aware you will probably disembark at a different terminal from which you will embark due to the Ruby being in on 1/9 also. If it is like two weeks ago, Ruby will be at Term 2 and Crown will be at Term 24 or 25. Then on the 16th, the Crown will be the only Princess ship in, so they will return to Term 2.

You'll need to get a taxi or shuttle to get back to your parking garage. I'm choosing to park at Term 2 garage and then get a cab over to the Crown on embarkation day rather than dealing with it on the 16th.

It appears to me that the cruisett.com site is not being maintained and not accurate. Do others agree? Is there site to recommend for port info.

Be warned about Port Everglades. We missed a flight once due to chaos at the port. The majority of the time we have no problem, but we plan for the worst case scenario so we are not stuck in FLL when it's time to go home. I am not looking forward to the crowds the Oasis will bring to the port and airport.

29 days til the Grand and thank God it leaves on a Monday. ;-) Sungirl

We are sailing on the Oasis in Oct at a great price. But back to the op's concern about many ships in port we have done this for years and its works every time. We ask to get off early (we do not carry our bags off). As soon as we walk into the luggage terminal we hold up a ten, sometimes a twenty and call for a porter. Believe me, these guys come running. He will gets our bags, and have us a taxi in no time flat. If you watch these men they walk right out into the road to stop the taxis. We have done this 5 times in FLL and at the airport each time by 9:30 am. It is well worth the extra 10 or 20. :D
That's all well and good when it works, but when there are no porters and no taxis, you have a completely different experience. You can't count on having porters and taxis available; I've experienced that a couple of times and it's not pretty. It's never guaranteed that there will be. Granted, my experience has been as a female not traveling with a male (and if you don't think that doesn't make a huge difference, think again) and about 100% of the time, I'm totally ignored or pushed out of the way if I try to get a porter. I don't push and shove to get a taxi so I lose out there, too.

That's all well and good when it works, but when there are no porters and no taxis, you have a completely different experience. You can't count on having porters and taxis available; I've experienced that a couple of times and it's not pretty. It's never guaranteed that there will be. Granted, my experience has been as a female not traveling with a male (and if you don't think that doesn't make a huge difference, think again) and about 100% of the time, I'm totally ignored or pushed out of the way if I try to get a porter. I don't push and shove to get a taxi so I lose out there, too.

Well that is not very nice at all for you. We have yet to have any problem. There has always been a porter in the luggage area when we arrived so we never had to look for one. But as noted before we are off the ship right away. ;)

Archived