Embarking/Disembarking in Port Everglades on a Saturday

Pam in CA

What is the scoop on Princess transfers to the airport? Can anyone give pro and cons of Princess transfers vs Super Shuttle?

Thanks

Only con I know is the volume of travelers. A Princess bus holds alot more pax than a Super Shuttle van. You have to wait for the bus driver to load everyone's luggage, then for the bus to fill up, then they take off to the airport. Super Shuttle deals with less volume, so there is less wait time. Happy Sailing!

I think the lesson will be to avoid the weekends - but how possible is that? :)

I'm so very happy my first experience with Port Everglades will be on the 21st of January when the Coral is the only cruise ship in Port.

I have a question for recent cruisers. Do you remember what time you ended up actually off the ship and looking for a cab? We arrive on a Saturday (same day as the Leviathan of the Seas and 5 other ships!) and our flight isn't until 1:00 but I was going to order a private car to pick us up just so I won't have to fight to get a cab.

I don't know what time to tell him to pick us up. Does 10:00 sound reasonable or is that late?

Chamima - That's what I would go with - 10am. That way, there's no rushing on the last day and you don't have to stress out. Also, if the ship is a little late getting into port, you're covered too. :)

Perhaps we should revive that "can you walk from the Renissance Hotel to Port Everglades?" thread again:p. Last Nov. 29 went out on the Queen Mary 2 when Ruby was doing her maiden with like 8 other ships in port that day. TAXI STRIKE just for fun. Somehow got a private limo for 3 (walked up to a guy who was letting someone off) and all was good except my huge 30" suitcase was hanging out of the trunk -- just a little tacky. Some folks later said it took 4 hours to get to dock from airport.

Glad to see that Coral Princess will be the only ship in port on March 22.

Wish more went out of Baltimore. Such an easy port to get to!.

Chamima - That's what I would go with - 10am. That way, there's no rushing on the last day and you don't have to stress out. Also, if the ship is a little late getting into port, you're covered too. :)

Finally, an answer!

THANK YOU!

I just did some quick math. Based on the Port Everglades 2010 Port Guide, and using their ship facts for passenger numbers, January 9th will have 46,276 passenger arrivals and departures, assuming 2 passengers per cabin. Since reality is always a bit higher, it's easy to see that January 9th will be in the 50,000 passenger range. March 20th is even worse: add the Carnival Miracle to the above ships, with 2124 passengers, couple it with Spring Break passenger loads, and it should set another record for arrivals/departures at Port Everglades.

The port guide goes to great length explaining road widening and increased customs/immigration presence with the port area, but I do wonder what the airport has done to gear up.

We'll be 8 of the lucky 50,000 embarking on 1/9! I'm glad I read this thread, so we can mentally prepare for the chaos!

I was starting to have a mild panic about the volume for my upcoming January cruise and then I remembered we are boarding in San Juan!

However, this is a definite consideration as the majority of the time we leave from Ft Lauderdale. With the Sat/Sun Oasis/Allure combo, I think it will be very difficult to avoid these biggies going forward.

I've rarely used the Princess transfer but might consider it in light of the potential taxi shortage.

Something important to consider - Cruisett is not always accurate with the number of ships in port. Schedules change and Cruisett doesn't reflect that most of the time. Most of the time, I've found that it's missing ships, which is what's most important! :eek: It's a great starting point, but try not to take it as gospel. If one is really concerned about the passenger load, check Cruisett but then do a little legwork on your own with either the Port Everglades ship schedule (http://porteverglades.net/about-us/ship-schedule/ which is updated about four days in the future) or checking out individual cruiseline sites if it's further in advance.

Many have mentioned that late December is a rough time, and I agree completely. December sees ships returning from Europe, and smaller ships that will only call on the port for a one-off Christmas cruise before moving on to another itinerary. The port has been setting records for pax load prior to Christmas for years now, and they always have a difficult time managing it. You'd think they'd get it by now! :rolleyes: There's not much one can do, other than avoiding that time of year. Reserving a shuttle or private car beforehand is a good option for dealing with the taxi mess on those peak days. It's unfortunate that passengers may have to spend a bit more just for transportation security, and that reflects badly on the port. I also feel badly for folks who aren't aware of CC and this issue and may end up very frustrated on disembarkation morning as a result.

As a FLL resident, I'm going to be bold and say Port Everglades is in over its head with Oasis here. I don't think they've made enough provisions for both parking and the taxi situation. I sailed on Equinox on 11/19, the day of Oasis' first "cruise" (1 nighter) and became quite concerned when the midport parking garage was full - just a handful of spots left - at 10:30am. Granted, most of the cars were from other ships during the week, but the fact remains that parking space was severely limited for cruises leaving that day and Oasis. I can only imagine how rough it will be with even more Oasis passengers needing parking. For those who are driving to the port, I would recommend a backup plan for parking (offsite, at a hotel) if you can - I know I became rather nervous while looking for a spot.

When we returned yesterday, we docked at Terminal 18, Oasis' berth. The terminal inside is stunning, with miles of seating and space, but the issue is outside. Instead of building a new parking garage next to the terminal, they built a parking lot instead (which, of course, was completely full). Not the brightest idea! The pickup/dropoff area, while expanded, is confusing and a very long walk. The police and porters had a difficult time managing the various lanes for taxis/buses/cars and directing traffic across the crosswalks. I'm concerned as to how they'll deal with Oasis passengers disembarking, when Equinox is much smaller and still had traffic issues. We spoke with the security and check-in staff and they expressed concern over how the first few cruises will be once the ship is sailing full. Not exactly what you want to hear, but it was realistic. It just makes you think - if the port can't get it right for their newest ship, surely the rest of the port won't fare well either. :(

Terminal 18 has two parking lots. Oasis parking will be directly in front of the Terminal. Celebrity guests will park in the Parking Lot 19.

With these two combined lots...there has been plenty of parking since the Oasis has arrived.

When there are 6 or more ships in Port...there will be a wait for taxis. Broward County only allows so many taxi permits.

The only vehicles parked in the Midport Garage...are from ships leaving from Midport Terminals. But parking was available inside the garage.

As a FLL resident, I'm going to be bold and say Port Everglades is in over its head with Oasis here. I don't think they've made enough provisions for both parking and the taxi situation. I sailed on Equinox on 11/19, the day of Oasis' first "cruise" (1 nighter) and became quite concerned when the midport parking garage was full - just a handful of spots left - at 10:30am. Granted, most of the cars were from other ships during the week, but the fact remains that parking space was severely limited for cruises leaving that day and Oasis. I can only imagine how rough it will be with even more Oasis passengers needing parking. For those who are driving to the port, I would recommend a backup plan for parking (offsite, at a hotel) if you can - I know I became rather nervous while looking for a spot.

(

I also wonder about the hotel situation. It was sometimes difficult before to get affordable hotel rooms. Now, with the Oasis???

I also wonder about the hotel situation. It was sometimes difficult before to get affordable hotel rooms. Now, with the Oasis???

I think there may still be availability, but the prices will certainly be higher. We just yesterday booked a hotel for a Friday night in Fort Lauderdale in late January...we had to go with (in our minds) a bottom tier hotel at a higher price than what we're paying to stay at a much nicer hotel in early January, a booking we made 10 months ago. Not sure if we'll sleep under the sheets or on top of them! :eek:

We've thrown caution to the wind and booked an 11:35am flight on Saturday, Feb 6, when we disembark from the Crown. It's also the day before the Super Bowl in Fort Lauderdale. We've reserved a Super Shuttle, and plan to do walk-off or be in the first group to disembark. Our other option was a mid afternoon flight. I simply can't face the prospect of waiting on the curb or on the floor at the airport for a few hours because we're there too early to check in for our flight and go through security. It's not just the cruise ship passengers that day, it's the Super Bowl passenger traffic too.

We once disembarked the Sun Princess at 10:35am (the ship arrived late) and made an 11:17am flight. Then again, we usually go on shore without our passports, book independent excursions and frequent local buses and ferries in port...we like to live life on the edge. ;););)

Terminal 18 has two parking lots. Oasis parking will be directly in front of the Terminal. Celebrity guests will park in the Parking Lot 19.

With these two combined lots...there has been plenty of parking since the Oasis has arrived.

BUT the Oasis is has not started their revenue sailings with max passenger. That's will be the true test.

Our upcoming cruise has perfect timing in that it leaves on Sunday and we are driving down from the Detroit area to arrive on Saturday. We don't have to fight the Whale of the Seas crowd but will have a chance to see this ship as it leaves on Saturday.

When there are 6 or more ships in Port...there will be a wait for taxis. Broward County only allows so many taxi permits.

The only vehicles parked in the Midport Garage...are from ships leaving from Midport Terminals. But parking was available inside the garage.

I did see the new parking lot by Terminal 18. It was completely full while Oasis was gone. I think it was a poor choice to build that instead of a new garage, as a garage can hold many more cars than a lot can. Have you sailed from the port since Oasis arrived?

The true test of the parking situation will be when Oasis starts sailing with all her passengers, but it's not looking good so far.

I wonder about that too. I read a statistic the other day (the local media has been touting how much business Oasis will bring to the area) that only 10% of cruisers stay at least one extra night. But if you were reading CC, you'd never guess that!

Here's the article: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2009-10-31/business/0910300240_1_largest-cruise-ship-royal-caribbean-ship-celebrity-cruise-lines

BUT the Oasis is has not started their revenue sailings with max passenger. That's will be the true test.
Heck, they've been heavily discounting just to get people onboard their December cruises. Granted, it's way overpriced to start with but I read that not one cruise is sold out, even after all the media hype the past two weeks.

We will be embarking on the Crown Princess at Port Everglades on March 13, 2010. I have seen on these threads that this will be an extremely busy day. We will be driving in. We have not been to Port Everglades before and so therefore we are not familiar with it. Which dock will the Crown be located and where should we park?? What time would you suggest arriving. Thanks in advance for any input.

Long ago I use to work for a cruise line....a 3,000 passenger ship brings in about 200 vehicles.

The people that run the garages keep track of how many cars a ship brings in. When you exit, they ask you which ship you sailed on - they keep record. The shorter the cruise (4 day, 1 day) the more vehicles you have. The Oasis regular cruises will probably bring in 400 vehicles.

A garage takes 2 years to build (permits) - would have not been ready in time.

Archived