Will an expired passport do the job?

Kappa

It's all over the news here because we are one of the states. As I understand it, the feds required all states to change there drivers license requirements because there was not enough control and you could get a license even if you were not a citizen. The requirements would take a lot of money and many states balked.

link, please?

I'm not finding anything, and I just did a general Google as well as site searches on CNN.com and USAToday.com

There is a pretty good Wiki article with the full history and legislative references here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

It was also discussed in its early stages on the Passport sticky thread, post 255 or so.

OK...that's the "Real ID" law debacle, but I think the "media" have done their usual outstanding job of scaring the public with headlines based on half truths and incomplete information. Technically there is a rule that has been slated to go into effect on 1/1/10, but somehow I'm willing to bet that millions of passengers are not going to be turned away at the airport gates on New Years Day, particularly since the head of DHS, Secretary Janet Napolitano, has made her oppostion to it pretty clear, not to mention that the final rule has a provision allowing states to seek an extension until May, 2011 for meeting the drivers license requirements.
I tend to agree that the media has overblown this issue and that extensions and/or revisions and/or solutions will be found. I do find it interesting that the list of non-compliant states has grown from 17 (Jan of 2008) to 36 today. And on tonight's newscast in NM there was another story noting how passport applications at the main Post Office in Albuquerque have doubled to ~50 per day as a result of the recent news stories. I suppose if I had domestic travel plans in January and did not already have a federally issued ID and passport, I too would be making sure I had a suitable ID come Jan 1. JIC.

Anyone have a list of non-compliant states?

I know....... do a search. Thought someone might have already. :D

From Wiki article above:

Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington have joined Maine and Utah in passing legislation opposing Real ID.[37][38][39][40][41]

Similar resolutions are pending in Alaska, Arizona, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, D.C., West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.[42]

• 3 weeks later...

We just arrived back from our cruise. We carried our expired passports but also had birth certificates as backups. We were able to confirm that the expired passports would, in fact, get us on the cruise.

Yes, yes, yes, I know. Had we needed to fly back from our foreign port for some reason we would've had trouble. But, as this was a cruise out of NYC to Nassau, with only one other stop outside the US (Great Stirrup Cay), I was willing to chance our not needing to fly back.

Thanks to all those that tried to be helpful. In particular, thanks to Kluge for jumping to my defense when I was out enjoying the sun.

And a big stinky :P to those of you who needed to establish your intellecktual surpremacy. The morons made it back safely!

We just arrived back from our cruise. We carried our expired passports but also had birth certificates as backups. We were able to confirm that the expired passports would, in fact, get us on the cruise.

Yes, yes, yes, I know. Had we needed to fly back from our foreign port for some reason we would've had trouble. But, as this was a cruise out of NYC to Nassau, with only one other stop outside the US (Great Stirrup Cay), I was willing to chance our not needing to fly back.

Thanks to all those that tried to be helpful. In particular, thanks to Kluge for jumping to my defense when I was out enjoying the sun.

And a big stinky :P to those of you who needed to establish your intellecktual surpremacy. The morons made it back safely!

Indeed, they did.:eek:

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise -- too bad you were not able to take a little kidding. Caling people jerks because they poke a little fun at someone who:

a) Books a cruise without thinking about the reasonably realistic chance of needing to fly back, and

b) Instead of seeking reliable advice asks a bunch of people he is ready to call jerks what he should do,

runs the risk of being called a number of things.

Sorry, if you introduce the term "jerk", you should consider yourself among the class so identified.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise -- too bad you were not able to take a little kidding. Caling people jerks because they poke a little fun at someone who:

a) Books a cruise without thinking about the reasonably realistic chance of needing to fly back, and

b) Instead of seeking reliable advice asks a bunch of people he is ready to call jerks what he should do,

runs the risk of being called a number of things.

Sorry, if you introduce the term "jerk", you should consider yourself among the class so identified.

Well, I consider this topic resolved. But you clearly don't. I'll double classify you as a moron as well. You see, as I said in the first post, I hadn't booked the cruise yet. That's why I'd asked the question.

And your second point makes absolutely no sense.

Never mind. Just move on.

Welcome home -- glad you enjoyed your cruise!!

I read this thread when you first posted and felt concerned for you and prayed for no emergencies for you.

Well, I consider this topic resolved. But you clearly don't. I'll double classify you as a moron as well. You see, as I said in the first post, I hadn't booked the cruise yet. That's why I'd asked the question.

And your second point makes absolutely no sense.

Never mind. Just move on.

So....no more nanny nanny boo boo and name-calling from you, Kappa?

OK...that's the "Real ID" law debacle, but I think the "media" have done their usual outstanding job of scaring the public with headlines based on half truths and incomplete information. Technically there is a rule that has been slated to go into effect on 1/1/10, but somehow I'm willing to bet that millions of passengers are not going to be turned away at the airport gates on New Years Day, particularly since the head of DHS, Secretary Janet Napolitano, has made her oppostion to it pretty clear, not to mention that the final rule has a provision allowing states to seek an extension until May, 2011 for meeting the drivers license requirements.

As predicted, DHS has announced it will not begin enforcing the "REAL ID" program on Jan. 1, 2010:

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1261170524591.shtm

Statement by Deputy Press Secretary Matt Chandler on DHS' Efforts to Enhance Driver's License Security

Release Date: December 18, 2009

For Immediate Release

Office of the Press Secretary

"As expected, a large majority of states and territories—46 of 56—have informed DHS that they will not be able to meet the Dec. 31 REAL ID material compliance deadline. As the National Governors Association has said, the states have made tremendous progress in driver's license security but simply cannot fulfill the requirements of REAL ID. That's why Secretary Napolitano has supported the efforts of Governors and Congress to enact PASS ID, which puts states on the path to implementing national standards for identification documents and will enhance security across the country.

"In order to ensure that the millions of Americans traveling this holiday season are not disrupted, DHS is extending the Dec. 31 REAL ID material compliance deadline. The May 10, 2011, deadline for full compliance remains in effect, and the Department will continue to work closely with states to meet this deadline. However, Congress must act to address systemic problems with the REAL ID Act to advance our security interests over the long term. DHS is committed to moving forward to implement this key 9/11 Commission recommendation—just last week, the Department announced the availability of $48 million to states for the Drivers License Security Grant Program, to help prevent terrorism, reduce fraud, and improve the reliability and accuracy of personal identification documents."

I have not gone back and read much of this thread, but would like to relate what I observed last week.

While checking in for our cruise, the passengers next to us had only expired passports in their posession. The agent told them they were probably not going to be able to cruise, but they would call over a superior to speak with them. The agent told them they should have brought with them their birth certificates.

While the agent was gone, I overheard the man tell his wife he had spoken to his travel agent the night before and had been assured that expired passports would be fine. They were very upset because they did have their birth certificates at home and would have brought them if they thought they needed them.

I didn't wait around to find out what transpired for these folks, I do hope they weren't turned away. I'm not saying the gate agent or TA was right or wrong, just that there was a problem with an expired passport.

Archived