Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

Mine was May 1984---honeymoon with the love of my life. Stella Solaris (Sun Line). Mediterranean itinerary: Mykonos, Rhodes, and other islands--also included Jerusalem, Ephesus, Istanbul and Cairo. (It was 2 one-week back-to-back cruises, as I recall)

On that cruise, we daydreamed about doing a trip up the Nile on our 10th anniversary. Instead, we spent that anniversary in Galveston with our two young children.

Didn't cruise again until 2011 (Alaska-Volendam) and enjoying reconnecting with cruising!

I sailed that ship in 1984 to some of those same ports, but don't remember which month. She was put to rest around 2003. She was a wonderful comfortable ship. Many fond memories.

First true cruise - just for vacation fun trip (plus sightseeing), Princess "Love Boat", in the late 1970s. To Alaska.

First what I call a cruise - 1963 - Matsonia (Matson lines). Others would point out that it was actually a partial Trans-Pacific trip on a ship - Hawaii to LA on a ship. Point was to get to the mainland, but they had activities, GREAT MEALS, entertainment, parties, etc. No ports - just moving along across the Pacific. This is the trip that hooked my on cruising.

RCCL's Song of Norway in April 1971 with my parents while in high school (Miami, Nassau, San Juan, St Thomas, Miami). Repeated it for my honeymoon in May 1974. First HAL was in the 1980s on the old N Amsterdam when HAL started sailing out of Tampa.

• 4 weeks later...
It ws RCL Splendour of the seas on our 25th wedding anniversary.

back in may 2007.

we loved the eperience and now cruise when ever we can :)

Hi,

In 1997 We tried to get a cabin on the Splendor of the Seas for a cruise to the Fjords of Norway. The only cabins available were on the stern. We went to sleep after sailing out Harwich and my wife awoke with a gasp and told me to look out the window to the veranda. What a view. We were in one of the Fjords.

Turns out that the captain's son "Big Bang" was in the cabin next to us and invited us to go to the bridge and we spent an entire day on the bridge with the Captain Otto Bang (Bang Bang) and his wife and two young adult children. What a great experience. We met the Captain of the Sun Viking on this trip and sailed with him that same year and of course had dinner with him on his ship later that same year. The Captain of the Sun Viking was travelling with his wife as a guest on the SOS. This was our first stern cabin, but would go for many more stern cabins.

Fond memories of the SOS.

Our first cruise was on the Chandris line Regina Magna. We had a grand time--you should have seen the size of lobsters we got (covered the plate).

Our total cost for the week, including air from Omaha, was under $300 dollars--about 1975. We had a very large OV cabin in the absolute front of the ship--it was even prow shaped! Downside was that it was the only time I've been seasick on a cruise ship--no stabilizers in those days!

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I have a favor to ask. I'm trying to look for the Statendam and Ryndam ship models that were sold onboard the ships in the gift shops. If anyone bought an extra one and are looking to sell it, I'm interested! I'll obviously reimburse you and pay for shipping and anything else needed. Please let me know! Thanks for your help!

The Oosterdam Mexican Riviera with a girlfriend because our husbands didn't want to go. First trip with the hubby--anniversary trip, same ship, same route, but in a Neptune Suite (wheeee!). He was hooked, of course, and expected all future cruises to be as comfy.

Cruises to Hawaii and the Panama in the meantime, and our 30th anniversary coming up--Mexican Riviera, Veendam, Christmas. Can't wait!

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

Ours was Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's m/s Viking Serenade, a converted car ferry, back in NOV 1991, a 3-day L.A. - Catalina Island - Esenada, Mexico - L.A. cruise. Never forget our first impressions - we were hooked from that day on!

Ship+Photo+VIKING+SERENADE.jpg

Viking Serenade (still sailing today as Island Escape)

Ship+Photo+ISLAND+ESCAPE.jpg

NCL, believe Norwegian Sun, waaaay back in 1978 or 79. Lots of cruises between then and now on many lines - except Norwegian.

First cruise was in 83, an Eastern Caribbean cruise, on the Commadore cruise line, the Boheme. Got sea sick the first night out, went to dinner tried to eat, but really wasn't hungry, the waiter asked me if I wanted anything else, but I said no, he knew what the problem was. Gave me something and went back to the cabin, took the pill and out like a lite, the next morning was rarin to go. The ship wasn't much, enough to get my feet wet. Next cruise I found was Rcl, the waiters on the Song of Norway, called the Boheme, "the banana boat.

":rolleyes: Just returned from #25th cruise in Sept, to Alaska, will be goin again to Alaska next June.:)

First cruise was in 83, an Eastern Caribbean cruise, on the Commadore cruise line, the Boheme. Got sea sick the first night out, went to dinner tried to eat, but really wasn't hungry, the waiter asked me if I wanted anything else, but I said no, he knew what the problem was. Gave me something and went back to the cabin, took the pill and out like a lite, the next morning was rarin to go. The ship wasn't much, enough to get my feet wet. Next cruise I found was Rcl, the waiters on the Song of Norway, called the Boheme, "the banana boat.

":rolleyes: Just returned from #25th cruise in Sept, to Alaska, will be goin again to Alaska next June.:)

Just saw the BOHEME in Antigua last month. For years she's been sailing as a cruise ship for the Church of Scientology as the FREEWINDS. She's in incredible, almost brand-new condition. Google it, it's pretty cool.

Just saw the BOHEME in Antigua last month. For years she's been sailing as a cruise ship for the Church of Scientology as the FREEWINDS. She's in incredible, almost brand-new condition. Google it, it's pretty cool.

Did they ever get rid of the blue asbestos?