Master Chef's Dinner

jmps

I have done some searching but still don't fully understand what the Master Chef's Dinner is. We were on HAL for the first time last summer on the Zuiderdam and were at the Pinnacle the night they had one so we missed it. We are next on the Westerdam in March and saw from a review that they had one. Here are my questions:

1. What happens at this dinner. It sounds like the waiters do a dance and sing. It sounds like some of the theme nights that we have seen on RCI and Celebrity.

2. What is the menu? Is it a fixed line up?

3. Why do so many people try to avoid it? Is it really that bad? If so, I guess we will plan on the Pinnacle or the Lido that night.

4. From other postings I saw that they are being phased out, yet as I said I see the Westerdam is having them as of a few weeks ago. Are they going away?

Thanks.

This is what happened at one of the Master Chef's dinners that we attended:

Master Chef Dinner:

The group "The Mix" from the Crow's Nest played the music about 80% of the time. The crew staff and dancers from the production shows led the waitstaff in the dance routines. The lead singer from the cast did the opening song. It was the only time she sang. Since she was on the steps, halfway down, many people didn't even know that she was singing.

When we entered the dining room there was already a Parker House with various seeds on top on the butter plate which was under your chef's toque and menu. The menu was a special cut out showing a spatula, cork screw, rolling pin, chopping knife and big spoon.

Then we had the Ballet Service. This was the only time we had a singer. The waitstaff entered both levels of the dining room to the tune of "Swan Lake". The assistant waiter held the try of napkins while the waiter placed them in our laps. The crew and cast had to help out here in some sections as there weren't enough waitstaff to quickly get the napkins to everyone.

Act 1 - Once again the waitstaff, crew and cast entered the dining room carrying the Chef's Amuse Surprise -- mushroom mousse with asparagus en bouche. This was a tiny empty puff pastry with a tiny dab of mouuse on top.

After those dishes were cleared away, the waitstaff. crew and cast again assembled in the hall and entered the dining room to begin Act 2 -- The Swing Service. The crew and staff "mixed" the salad in HUGE salad bowls to music -- waitstaff get throwing in fake tomatoes, peppers, etc -- some of the waitstaff tried to juggle the peppers -- very funny. Show Salad Spectacular: menu said that we were to have assorted baby greens, pepper rings, mushrooms, scallions & cherry tomatoes with a honey mustard dressing. What we actually got was a tomato stuffed with the assorted baby greens, enoki mushrooms with chopped up onion, scallions and peppers sprinkled on top and the honey mustard dressing drizzled over everything.

Then the waiters came around and took our orders for the Starters and Entrees.

Starters:

1.Dialogue of Alaskan Salmon Tartare with avocado: cold smoked, pickled and chipotle-hot-smoked salmon with lime-avocado-tomato sauce. DH had this -- loved it the first segment. 2nd segment -- it was mostly BIG chunks of onion and very little salmon.

2.Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough served with a cinnamon-spiced apple cranberry compote -- have had this many times in the past -- love it -- it was excellent the first segment -- not completely heated through -- brie -- wasn't even melted a little bit.

3.Lobster Bisque sensuously smooth classical shellfish soup enhanced with aged French cognac and whipped cream. We both have had this in the past -- it's okay -- not one of our favorites.

4.Oxtail En Crote - flavorful classical soup slow-simmered and served in a crisp pastry crust -- excellent both segments.

Entrees:

1.Tagliatelli with Roasted Chicken & Portobello Muchrooms tossed in olive oil and lemon cream.

2.Sauteed shrimps "Provencales" scented with Mediterranean herbs, tomato concassee', florets of crisp, tender broccoli and sticky rice -- you got 4 medium size shrimps -- some people ordered 3 of this dish in order to get more shrimp -- which sent the waiter into a tizzy since they were on a time schedule.

3.Apricot Glazed Salmon with Soya Garlic and Ginger Spalsh -- I have had this on other ships and love it. 1st segment -- excellent RED sockeye salmon -- 2nd segment -- pink salmon -- tasteless.

4.Duck Breast a l'Orange - the old time favorite, oven roasted until crisp amd served with a Grand Marnier sauce, braised red cabbage, pea pods, carrots julienne and William potatoes. DH had this the first segment -- excellent.

5.Whole Roasted Tenderloin of Beef on an earthy bed of calvados-spiked mushroom ragout, with vegetable bundle, braised onion & horseradish mashed potato. DH had this the second time -- beef was tough and fatty.

6.Wild Mushroom Strudel - selected forest mushroom spinach & feta cheese rolled in Phyllo dough and baked until crisp and flaky. Served with a Thai red curry sauce and a timbale of basmati rice.

Act 3 - The Final Service --- the waitstaff, crew and cast began to assemble out in the hallway around 7:15 for this. Then they parade in with the Baked Alaska.

It seems to be returning to the ships.

We had it on both of our Zuiderdam cruises.

When they first started it years ago, we went to 4 of them -- three too many.

The majority of the staff do not like all the dancing and carrying on.

On some ships it turns out to be a long dinner.

Even those who opt to have Open Seating must choose whether they want to dine at either 5:30 or 8 PM.

Krazy-Kurisers described it well. Why do some people not like it? Who knows. Everything on there goes against my strict diet but once in a while, Oh well! I think it is a lot better than the Ductch Night they had for years and years.

On my last three cruises - Maasdam, Statendam and Ryndam - the Master Chef Dinner was on the last night of the cruise and was combined with the Baked Alaska march, AND the goodbye song by the dining room staff. A very busy night indeed for the crew.

By the way, on the Maasdam, many of the cabin stewards assembled on the stairs to sing and to say farewell, too. That was a first!

On our Statendam cruise (December 2008), we had the menu, but not the show. There was no mention of the 2 seating times (since there was no performance to fit into the schedule). We were in Open Seating.

On our Ryndam cruise (July 2009), we had the menu and the show. During dinner the night before the "event," we were asked by a "white coat" which time we wanted. It seems that the times offered were 5:30 and 7:45. The dining room opened 15 minutes before the performance began. We were in Open Seating for this cruise, too. For the second week, we scheduled a dinner in the Pinnacle Grill, but we saw the salad bowls and assorted paraphernalia outside the main entrance of the upper level (visible from the entrance to Pinnacle Grill). Occasionally, the sound (music, singing) was loud enough to be heard in the Pinnacle Grill.

The majority of the staff do not like all the dancing and carrying on.

I will have to disagree. We've done the Master Chef's Dinner three times now, and on each occasion the staff looked forward to it and enjoyed themselves immensely. I even asked our two dining room stewards, wine steward, assistant maitre'd, and some of the entertainers about this because I've seen statements on this board before about how the staff doesn't like it. Every single one said they honestly enjoy themselves, as it breaks up the monotony of the standard dinner services and allows them to see the guests letting loose a bit too.

I guess I would recommend that everyone give it a try once. If you fall into the "hate it" camp, then you know a night to enjoy room service, the Lido, or the PG on future cruises. But if, like me family, you enjoy it then you've got one more thing to look forward to when anticipating a new HAL cruise. Don't let other peoples' opinions sway you before experiencing it for yourself.

I will have to disagree. We've done the Master Chef's Dinner three times now, and on each occasion the staff looked forward to it and enjoyed themselves immensely. I even asked our two dining room stewards, wine steward, assistant maitre'd, and some of the entertainers about this because I've seen statements on this board before about how the staff doesn't like it. Every single one said they honestly enjoy themselves, as it breaks up the monotony of the standard dinner services and allows them to see the guests letting loose a bit too.

I guess I would recommend that everyone give it a try once. If you fall into the "hate it" camp, then you know a night to enjoy room service, the Lido, or the PG on future cruises. But if, like me family, you enjoy it then you've got one more thing to look forward to when anticipating a new HAL cruise. Don't let other peoples' opinions sway you before experiencing it for yourself.

As I said -- we went 4 times which was 3 times too many.

We also asked our waiters -- they didn't like it.

Some crew members like it -- others don't.

The baked brie that is offered on the MCD night is AWESOME. It is one of my favorite HAL dishes. It is almost worth going to the MCD to get the baked brie :) Having NOT done the MCD on our last 2 cruises, I've missed the baked brie. And this upcoming cruise we believe we have again successfully booked the Pinnacle for the night of MCD. This time, I'm requesting the baked brie as my appy in the Pinnacle :)

As I said -- we went 4 times which was 3 times too many.

We also asked our waiters -- they didn't like it.

Some crew members like it -- others don't.

I'm with you on this one....I've seen it about 4 times too many. EVERY waiter I've asked doesn't like this "show". I think the ones that do say they like it are just trying to tow the company line. These guys have enough to do without dancing around and as far as I'm concerned. Management is being very unfair to add one more thing for them to do. I wish HAL would kill this thing already. I'm so happy I don't have to see this type of thing on Princess.

Thanks for all the info to Krazy Kruiser and everyone. It sounds like it may be worth doing if only once. I love baked brie and very seldom have it. :-) I guess we will see in April if the Westerdam has the full Master Chef's Dinner.

It should be possible to get brie in the Pinnacle that night as well though. The one time we have dined in the Pinnacle my DD was able to order crab legs from the main menu because she loves them so much.

Thanks for all the info to Krazy Kruiser and everyone. It sounds like it may be worth doing if only once. I love baked brie and very seldom have it. :-) I guess we will see in April if the Westerdam has the full Master Chef's Dinner.

They just had it on the Westerdam last week on Saturday night (the last night of the cruise), so hopefully they'll have it in April.

It is kind of hokey, but the kind of thing that's nice to be experienced once. I think I'll make other arrangements next time if they still have it.

We have experienced it twice. The first time we were sitting with a grumpy couple and where we were we could not see what was happening. This Sep on the Ryndaam we were with friends had a great table(we chose it) and after dinner we had our waiter , sommelier and the yum yum man Sammy sign our chef hats.I think they were very pleased to be recognized as individuals.

The Oosterdam had a Master Chef Dinner in April 2008. It was alot of fun. It was in the middle of the cruise, not the last night.

We did not have the MCD on the Mexican Riviera cruise on the "O" last month. I was looking forward to this as my GF was on her first HAL cruise.

We recently cruised on the Eurodam Dec 5-12. We ate in the MDR each evening with anytime dining. Thankfully, we must have avoided all the hoopla surrounding this dinner, though we did have the same delicious menu described. I have always found all the napkin waving, clapping, singing, the weird hats, etc a bit silly and a distraction from the quiet dignity of the meal. As anytime dining is becoming more popular, hopefully this too will pass away along with the fixed dining times.

As anytime dining is becoming more popular, hopefully this too will pass away along with the fixed dining times.

Why do you need to have fixed dining times eliminated? Can't you enjoy a "dignified" dinner in open seating while still allowing others to have As You Wish Dining as they wish?

....As anytime dining is becoming more popular, hopefully this too will pass away along with the fixed dining times.
OK, It is "As YOU Wish Dining" for everyone???? Never mind that some want the fixed dining times? :rolleyes: I don't care if you want the 'anytime' dining. WHY does matter to you when/how I eat?

OK, It is "As YOU Wish Dining" for everyone???? Never mind that some want the fixed dining times? :rolleyes: I don't care if you want the 'anytime' dining. WHY does matter to you when/how I eat?

Maybe the poster meant fixed dining for everyone. Why would anyone in open seating care about what is happening upstairs?

:D:D:D

Archived