Master Chef's Dinner

jmps

To the OP: we've endured two Master Chef Dinners and still don't understand it.

I laugh at a lot of corny jokes, but to describe the MCD as "corny" is an understatement, IMHO.

On our next HAL cruise we are going to try to find out when the Master Chef Dinner is, and then book the Pinnacle Grill that night.

Different strokes . . . . . . :)

We recently cruised on the Eurodam Dec 5-12. We ate in the MDR each evening with anytime dining. Thankfully, we must have avoided all the hoopla surrounding this dinner, though we did have the same delicious menu described. I have always found all the napkin waving, clapping, singing, the weird hats, etc a bit silly and a distraction from the quiet dignity of the meal. As anytime dining is becoming more popular, hopefully this too will pass away along with the fixed dining times.

What is wrong with fixed dining times?

Not all of us like open seating dining.

I like the way HAL has it that some of us can choose to have fixed dining while those who don't want to eat at a certain time every night can choose to eat at the open seating whenever they want to.

On many of our cruises we have found that more people were complaining about NOT having the fixed dining time.

OK, It is "As YOU Wish Dining" for everyone???? Never mind that some want the fixed dining times? :rolleyes: I don't care if you want the 'anytime' dining. WHY does matter to you when/how I eat?

Actually, it probably doesn't matter to her. But! I like fixed dining and find it is the best! As YOU Wish Dining or whatever it is seems to be continually confusing, wouldn't you say?:)

I agree, the Master Chef's Dinner can get old ... BUT, we do attend if it feels like our Dining Steward is looking forward to it. Sometimes our Steward talks about it ahead of time, and may even ask if we'll be there - and that's when we absolutely will. After having built a good relationship with our servers, we simply don't want to let them down. If, however, no mention is made of the Master Chef's Dinner, we usually dine elsewhere. Although many here feel it's a waste of time (and even corny) we've have been surprisingly entertained by those Stewards who look forward to it.

Thanks again for all the responses. It does sound "corny" but since we haven't seen it before we will plan to attend if they have it on our cruise. We actually like this "cruising only" kind of experience. It makes the cruise experience unique. My wife and I are in our early 50s and we have two late teen girls who LOVE to cruise. We all like laughing when we are waiving napkins over our heads. :-)

We used the non-fixed dining on our first HAL cruise and we will have fixed on this one. It will be nice to be back to a traditional kind of cruise experience for us. We will have four sea days and I think fixed is great for sea days. We are hoping the service in the MDR is better in fixed; closer to our past Celebrity experience. We like it that the wait staff learns preferences etc... That said non-fixed worked great for us on our first HAL (Alaskan) cruise since it was so port intensive.

Thanks again to all the CCers who responded from their own point of view.

As YOU Wish Dining or whatever it is seems to be continually confusing, wouldn't you say?:)

As You Wish becomes confusing when people equate it with open seating---which it most definitely is not.

As You Wish dining includes the entire spectrum of dining choices. Those extend beyond fixed and open seating to include Lido and room service, Pinnacle, and Tamarind and Canaletto on those ships which have those choices.

I like As You Wish dining, when I get what I wish for. And my wish is for main/fixed when I cruise.

This is what happened at one of the Master Chef's dinners that we attended:

Master Chef Dinner:

The group "The Mix" from the Crow's Nest played the music about 80% of the time. The crew staff and dancers from the production shows led the waitstaff in the dance routines. The lead singer from the cast did the opening song. It was the only time she sang. Since she was on the steps, halfway down, many people didn't even know that she was singing.

When we entered the dining room there was already a Parker House with various seeds on top on the butter plate which was under your chef's toque and menu. The menu was a special cut out showing a spatula, cork screw, rolling pin, chopping knife and big spoon.

Then we had the Ballet Service. This was the only time we had a singer. The waitstaff entered both levels of the dining room to the tune of "Swan Lake". The assistant waiter held the try of napkins while the waiter placed them in our laps. The crew and cast had to help out here in some sections as there weren't enough waitstaff to quickly get the napkins to everyone.

Act 1 - Once again the waitstaff, crew and cast entered the dining room carrying the Chef's Amuse Surprise -- mushroom mousse with asparagus en bouche. This was a tiny empty puff pastry with a tiny dab of mouuse on top.

After those dishes were cleared away, the waitstaff. crew and cast again assembled in the hall and entered the dining room to begin Act 2 -- The Swing Service. The crew and staff "mixed" the salad in HUGE salad bowls to music -- waitstaff get throwing in fake tomatoes, peppers, etc -- some of the waitstaff tried to juggle the peppers -- very funny. Show Salad Spectacular: menu said that we were to have assorted baby greens, pepper rings, mushrooms, scallions & cherry tomatoes with a honey mustard dressing. What we actually got was a tomato stuffed with the assorted baby greens, enoki mushrooms with chopped up onion, scallions and peppers sprinkled on top and the honey mustard dressing drizzled over everything.

Then the waiters came around and took our orders for the Starters and Entrees.

Starters:

1.Dialogue of Alaskan Salmon Tartare with avocado: cold smoked, pickled and chipotle-hot-smoked salmon with lime-avocado-tomato sauce. DH had this -- loved it the first segment. 2nd segment -- it was mostly BIG chunks of onion and very little salmon.

2.Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough served with a cinnamon-spiced apple cranberry compote -- have had this many times in the past -- love it -- it was excellent the first segment -- not completely heated through -- brie -- wasn't even melted a little bit.

3.Lobster Bisque sensuously smooth classical shellfish soup enhanced with aged French cognac and whipped cream. We both have had this in the past -- it's okay -- not one of our favorites.

4.Oxtail En Crote - flavorful classical soup slow-simmered and served in a crisp pastry crust -- excellent both segments.

Entrees:

1.Tagliatelli with Roasted Chicken & Portobello Muchrooms tossed in olive oil and lemon cream.

2.Sauteed shrimps "Provencales" scented with Mediterranean herbs, tomato concassee', florets of crisp, tender broccoli and sticky rice -- you got 4 medium size shrimps -- some people ordered 3 of this dish in order to get more shrimp -- which sent the waiter into a tizzy since they were on a time schedule.

3.Apricot Glazed Salmon with Soya Garlic and Ginger Spalsh -- I have had this on other ships and love it. 1st segment -- excellent RED sockeye salmon -- 2nd segment -- pink salmon -- tasteless.

4.Duck Breast a l'Orange - the old time favorite, oven roasted until crisp amd served with a Grand Marnier sauce, braised red cabbage, pea pods, carrots julienne and William potatoes. DH had this the first segment -- excellent.

5.Whole Roasted Tenderloin of Beef on an earthy bed of calvados-spiked mushroom ragout, with vegetable bundle, braised onion & horseradish mashed potato. DH had this the second time -- beef was tough and fatty.

6.Wild Mushroom Strudel - selected forest mushroom spinach & feta cheese rolled in Phyllo dough and baked until crisp and flaky. Served with a Thai red curry sauce and a timbale of basmati rice.

Act 3 - The Final Service --- the waitstaff, crew and cast began to assemble out in the hallway around 7:15 for this. Then they parade in with the Baked Alaska.

Couldn't help but notice, but wasn't there anything on the menu that didn't have mushrooms in it ??

Personally, that alone would be a good reason for me to avoid that night.

Blech!! LOL

Couldn't help but notice, but wasn't there anything on the menu that didn't have mushrooms in it ??

Personally, that alone would be a good reason for me to avoid that night.

Blech!! LOL

I don't like mushrooms either, which is the only reason we'll avoid the Master Chef's dinner in the future. It's the only time I've had a meal on a dam ship and was still hungry. :mad:

Other than the menu, we enjoyed it the one time we had it, and it was because our servers made it enjoyable. :)

I am also in the "hate it" camp.

Although some may disagree, I personally feel that it is a little demeaning to the waiters to be made to parade around, waving napkins, singing, dancing, making fake salads, et cetera. Many posters have reported that the staff enjoy this, so certainly my opinion is not shared by all of the servers, but I know that's how I'd feel if I were in their shoes.

The whole production just makes me cringe.

The food selection is more limited, I think the service suffers as a result of the parading and fanfare, and it is overall just not very pleasant for me at all.

We managed to escape before the baked alaska parade while on the Ryndam two weeks ago. I do see that some people like this event but I think I'll be skipping it in the future.

I can't recall... is the "available anytime menu" offered on MCD night? (I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was not... and if that is the case, this is a definite concern for our next cruise. One really picky eater in the group... who only likes mushrooms on pizzas.)

It wasn't on my Rotterdam cruise in October. :(

Thanks for the heads up. We will have to find out which night as we get closer ... and book the Pinnacle, I guess. If we can't get Pinnacle that night, room service's Triple Decker Club was really good! I'm sure we won't starve.

Thanks for the heads up. We will have to find out which night as we get closer ... and book the Pinnacle, I guess. If we can't get Pinnacle that night, room service's Triple Decker Club was really good! I'm sure we won't starve.

The last few cruises I have been on it's been on the last night. I was on HAL in Oct.09 so this info is recent.

There is also the Lido for dinner.

How is the menu different in the Lido from the Main Dining Room? In our experience (only our Amsterdam 2008 sailing), the Lido dinner entree options were a limited selection from the MDR menu.

How is the menu different in the Lido from the Main Dining Room? In our experience (only our Amsterdam 2008 sailing), the Lido dinner entree options were a limited selection from the MDR menu.
You are correct. That is why we don't dine in the MDR or the Lido the night of the Master Chef's Dinner.

The Lido would offer the opportunity to enjoy the menu without the show.

I hope we can book the PG, though. My memories of the Steak Diane are calling me... I hope someone will report after Ryndam's refurbishment to tell us the dining schedule. I have often read that MCD is on the last night (as it was on our Ryndam -- with two events: one for the 7-dayers and the second for the second leg), but in this thread someone mentioned that they had it on an earlier night.

We are not Master Chef dinner fans and have avoided them the past three years by going to the Pinnacle. However, on our recent Maasdam cruise, it was the last night and combined with the Baked Alaska parade which we do like. So we went as we also wanted to see our excellent dining stewards one last time.

I have to admit HAL has improved this event somewhat. Both upper and lower dining rooms are the same seating (no As you wish). As KK has indicated earlier, a roll is in front of you when you sit - no napkin. That comes with the performance. Wasn't that keen on that. The ones who did the tossing of the salads were the show dancers and the wait staff seemed to just twirl the napkins which eventually did end up in your lap.

The service was much better than expected since the first two courses and the dessert were the same for everyone and they could get them out fast. I didn't think the choices for appetizer and main were that good but could find something we did like.

Having it the last night and combining it with the March of the Baked Alaskas means the stewards only have to try to get everyone done at the same time once a cruise. Also having it on the last night means those who have already completed their evaluations won't make comments to HAL to eliminate this event.

Will we attend on every cruise - definitely not - but it didn't seem to be as bad as it was when first introduced. I still wish they didn't do it but it seems like it is here to stay.

Barbara

Archived