Just off Ruby, hugely disappointed

bassetdaddy

We were on the 14 day Hawaii cruise on the Golden last month where we became friendly with a couple who had raved about Princess to friends and convinced 3 other couples to join them. Well, it seems the other 3 couples had always sailed Rcl in the past; but their last cruise had been more than 3 years ago. As such, all they did was compare Rcl of the past to Princess of the present. The couple felt absolutely terrible that their friends were so disappointed in Princess, and all three couples said they would never sail Princess again. I spoke with the other couples and explained that if they were to now sail on Rcl or even Celebrity, they would be just as disappointed because things have changed on all the lines. For those who are not frequent cruisers, it can be a shock and disappointment to now experience some of the cutbacks on all of the lines. I've learned not to try to talk anybody into anything without prefacing that cruising isn't quite what it used to be. I felt very sorry for the couple who talked their friends into the cruise. Their friends'constant comparing and complaining simply ruined the whole trip for this well-meaning couple.

Thanks for the comments but I think its hard to judge fairly on a 3 day cruise.

Gottaluvcruising just came back from the same cruise and thought it was wonderful.

You gotta love how people on the same cruise can have such a different experience.

i agree three day in lieu of dry/wet dock not "normal' Princess cruise, and expectaions can be different.

Friends in Florida USA have just been on the same cruise and due to surly staff and poor service have cancelled their March cruise on the ship.

They were a party of 12 in total and have cruised on Emerald, Crown and other princess ships and other lines but have said Ruby was the worst ! in terms of food, staff and even their suite didnt come upto the standard of the same suite on the Emerald!

Having been on the same cruise as Barbie Joe (both Reviews in the Reviews section) there appears to be a familiar thread occuring that the food in the MD is going downhill whereas the Cafe Caribe evening food is going up.

Dave.

Thanks for the comments but I think its hard to judge fairly on a 3 day cruise.

Gottaluvcruising just came back from the same cruise and thought it was wonderful.

You gotta love how people on the same cruise can have such a different experience.

I think the big difference is that the dining experience was very important to BassetDaddy and we never even stepped into a dining room. His comments regarding entertainment and decor mirrored our impressions.

I also think that some of the OP's problems are just the luck of the draw, and could happen on cruises of any length. We have had good and bad waiters in both anytime and traditional dining, on several cruiselines, and I agree that a good wait staff can go a long way towards ensuring a good experience. One of our worst waiters was on a Celebrity cruise, and we had him for the whole week. In anytime, if we find a waiter we like, we often either reserve him for the week or request one of his tables when we arrive at the MDR (and we don't mind a wait, just go and relax with a drink.) We have also returned meals on all the cruise lines at least once, so that isn't limited to the shorter cruises! Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that the OP was so disappointed because we had a lovely cruise on the Ruby last winter. And if he goes to the various message boards here, he will find disappointed cruisers posting about ALL the lines.

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry the cruise was disappointing. I've been on a short cruise where the crew was "just going through the motions" and it really came across and was unpleasant. As for the sorbet in the dining room, I, too, thought it would be brought automatically, but you do have to order it. I guess that's just the way they do things.

One last question - do you know how long Troy Thirdgill will be staying aboard? We saw him last month on Equinox and thought he was really good.

I was on the 12/4 ruby 10 day. It was pretty disappointing. The food wasnt great.Not a lot of variety.The average age was 80, and 75% of them had walkers, wheelchairs etc.. I am 49 and not the most exciting person, but didnt have much fun.

I totally understand the letdown feeling when you have taken ownership to book something for friends. We have introduced several other couples to Princess, and so far, we've all been so happy that we are rebooked together this January and next. (and this was even after one of the newbie cruisers joined us on a noro infested Panama Canal cruise).

I will say, that for these short cruises, it sounds like they would potentially be a letdown. I'm not trying to make an excuse, but simply learn from others experiences enough to say 'nope, I won't do it!'. Of course, that's also because I'm starting to feel that even 7 days isn't enough anymore!

We're all different, and the things the OP described (except for the pasta, that sounds yucky) wouldn't really impact me. Obviously disappointment can come from different expectations and preferences.

(a whole tray of hot tomato soup dropped on our heads, a cabin steward who didn't make up the cabin or do anything for 24 hours because she was "busy", lazy waitstaff who put three glasses of iced tea in front of my plate so they wouldn't have to get a fresh one for me, etc.)

But Pam, that is the way they're done in Napoli! LOL

One quick thing with comparing the outdoor party with RCCL's.

On my 4-nighter on the Majesty in Feb, each side of the deck had a decent spread of "Caribbean inspired" foods.

On my 7-nighter on the Liberty last month, there wasn't a drop of food to be found.

I do late seating so I certainly didn't want the food, but I was very surprised to find it on the Majesty and not the Liberty!! So I wonder if they didn't do away with the food between Feb and Nov.

Platinum Princessite here and mind you, I am generally *too* easy to please, but having talked 11 friends into booking the 3-night Ruby (12/14-17) to introduce them to Princess, I have to say that not one of them said they would return; and I would have to think hard before booking again.

Entertainment was nice. The ship was decked out beautifully for Christmas. We saw a hilarious and refreshing comedian, Troy Thirdgill:

http://www.troythirdgill.com/

The show "Broadway Ballroom" was splendid. Very talented quartet of singers and convincing ballroom dances performed as part of the vocal montages...however, during the opening show, the Cruise Director went on about "had you been on a longer cruise, you would have also seen these two additional production shows..." There were three nights, why stage "Broadway Ballroom" on two days and not throw in another production show that was obviously casted and ready to go?

The disappointment I found in coming back to Princess after an absence during which I sailed RCCL and Celebrity

And having talked up Princess and the Italian specialties in the dining room, was I ever embarrassed when one of out party ordered Alfredo that obviously had been sitting under a heat lamp to the point where the cheese formed a hardened "spider web" around the edge of the plate. We gave up by the time "Italian night" appeared as the coming attraction for the dining room and ate in the Cafe Caribe topside, which was staging some kind of German dinner with sausages, knockwurst, bratwurst, sauerkraut...ach du lieber. Thank goodness for the non-Germanic hot shrimp dish they put out.

I know....kvetsch kvetsch kvetsch. It's just not the Princess I remembered and it was sad to experience. Sorry to be Donald Downer. Meanwhile, happy holidays to all!

I know that the Princess Cheerleaders here will flame any negative comment... never mind that it comes from a Platinum member who does not seem that hard to please... To bad one can not come here and offer their experiences and opinions without the backlash....

I was on this cruise...

WE HAD AN AMAZING AND WONDERFUL TIME!!!!!!!

Most of our cruise was totally excellent!!!!!

But, unfortunately, I can honestly say that the Food and Beverage service on this cruise was the most HORRIBLE that I have ever experienced... anywhere.... ever...

I can completely and totally agree with the orginal poster here - could have written that post myself, almost word for word.

Our experiences and complaints make yours' pale in comparison.... ex. having staff, in the middle of Sabatini's no less, give us a hard time and argue with us about an unnecessary charge for WATER.... : (

ONE time on the whole cruise did waitstaff show up and offer ice-water.... I looked at my husband and said "Hey, what do ya know!!! Makes me want to stand up on the table, put my hands in the air, and sing "HALLELUJAH!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!!"

NEVER an automatic refill on a drink, or even an offer.... NEVER (But, they would be all over you if you were waving around that CashCard to buy wine (rolling my eyes here....)

I found almost every food and beverage service experience onboard to be completely totally lacking, rude, and unacceptable.

Now completely re-thinking future Princess Cruises based on the food and beverage service alone... : (

Just a PS: since it is now past the time-window to edit my above post...

About the Fettucini Alfredo - I, too, was so sorely disappointed with what they served me... Just before we got ready to leave for this cruise, I had the most incredible Fettucini Alfredo at a restaurant.... When I saw what they put in front of me on this cruise, I thought to myself, Kraft from a box... and I told my husband that I couldn't wait to get back home for some good Alfedo and some edible food.

I just find that to be sad....

Why it should matter that this is a 3-day cruise.

I have made the argument in the past that service, food, etc. should be BETTER on a 3-day.

Typically, those that go on 3-day cruises (in my opinion) fall into 2 categories:

1) Want to try cruising - so a 3-day is a good taster

2) Cruise a lot, and miss it - so want a quick getaway to remember how much I love to cruise - sort of a "fill in" between bigger vacations.

In either case, a 3-day cruise is an entry to a bigger cruise.....so from the cruise ship's perspective, they should roll out the red carpet EVEN MORE. Lobster - heck yea. Big deck parties, great shows, the best of everything....they should want those leaving to be desperate to go on a 7 day (or longer) cruise.

That's why I always dismiss the attitude of "well it is only a 3-day, what did you expect."

I expect perfection (or at least striving for it) every day.

Just a PS: since it is now past the time-window to edit my above post...

About the Fettucini Alfredo - I, too, was so sorely disappointed with what they served me... Just before we got ready to leave for this cruise, I had the most incredible Fettucini Alfredo at a restaurant.... When I saw what they put in front of me on this cruise, I thought to myself, Kraft from a box... and I told my husband that I couldn't wait to get back home for some good Alfedo and some edible food.

I just find that to be sad....

Glad to hear the rest of your cruise went well. I got home and got back in my kitchen so quickly, even the pots and pans were in shock. I made dinner reservation for the following weekend:p

I have had wonderful 3 days cruises, which $ for $ cost more than a 4 day cruise and ave. per day more than 7 days. I guess before long the 7 days cruise will no longer be the cruise line forte. One is paying for a shorter cruise, possible because to time constraints or as a trial run, not a lesser cruising experince. My 3 days cruise always leave me wanting more but after 7 I am done. I have a low tolerance for salty foods (cruise or resort), hey I did not say saucy:p....JMOP!

For all will repeat what I have said a great many times.

"NEVER HAD A BAD CRUISE, SOME BETTER THAN OTHERS BUT NEVER A BAD ONE."

And even the one that lasted close to four years on the very same ship. A wonderful, wonderful learning experience. Some should stop and count their blessings.

Typically, those that go on 3-day cruises (in my opinion) fall into 2 categories:

1) Want to try cruising - so a 3-day is a good taster

2) Cruise a lot, and miss it - so want a quick getaway to remember how much I love to cruise - sort of a "fill in" between bigger vacations.

3) Those who could not afford to cruise before and find the 3 day pricing affordable.

I'm sorry for the bad experience of the OP. DH and I love to travel and since I retired, I spend a lot of time planning our cruises and land trips. Several of our friends have asked to go with us (ie, I will do all the planning and basically we will be their tour guides). We always nicely say that since DH works such long hours and travels that our trips are our times to be alone together. I know that if we did take any of them along, I would feel responsible for their having a perfect trip and it would ruin our time when something went wrong and they complained. We have learned not to suggest even a restaurant to some of our friends!

I'm sorry the OP had so many negatives on this trip. We sailed the Ruby 11/24 and had none of these complaints. It was a wonderful cruise with none of these negative aspects. Service and food were wonderful IMO.

I'm confused by this discussion of the fettucini alfredo. We had never had it on Princess before, but after hearing lots of people rave about it as the best they'd ever eaten, thought we'd give it a try.

We ended up ordering it every night as an appetizer, it was so good. But, there was no nest of parmesan. It was served on a small plate, a creamy helping of fettucini alfredo dusted with parsley. They asked you whether you wanted additional parmesan or pepper at the table. Not sure whats changed in two weeks, but we had it every night for 10 nights and thats how it was served every time. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it because ours was great; I miss it now I'm home!

We have had nothing but good cruises with Princess. I appreciate your review and your opinions. :) For some reason the fettucini comment seems to have taken on a life of its own.:D

I have ordered it on every Princess Cruise and it has been absolutely delish EXCEPT for the Golden back a few years ago. It was just noodles swimming in sauce like a soup. :eek: Maybe it depends on the chef as to how it is made and served. I will say, I ordered it again and again since our Golden cruise and have never been disappointed.:)

Feeling responsible for others is a trait we all experience. Even as far as picking out a restaurant at home that you love and insisting that friends try it - and then they are not happy.:o

I do agree with others who say the cruise lines should make the shorter cruises better as sometimes it could be where they may get repeat customers;)

We had this cruise booked and had to cancel because my husband is in chemo right now. I would have liked the opportunity to judge for myself but it didn't happen!:(

Coolmama, I am sending best wishes and healing thoughts to your husband and to you.

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry the cruise was disappointing. I've been on a short cruise where the crew was "just going through the motions" and it really came across and was unpleasant. As for the sorbet in the dining room, I, too, thought it would be brought automatically, but you do have to order it. I guess that's just the way they do things.

One last question - do you know how long Troy Thirdgill will be staying aboard? We saw him last month on Equinox and thought he was really good.

Hi Infi, we aren't aware of Troy's plans, I did include the link to his homepage but I don't see a schedule. I did email him telling him how much we enjoyed him though!

It seems that all the "special" things I used to take for granted about Princess now were at extra cost. Lobster balcony dinner. Champagne breakfast on your balcony. $$$ and translated as no lobster on the menu and no hot items for room service breakfast. Bleeah.

And having talked up Princess and the Italian specialties in the dining room, was I ever embarrassed when one of out party ordered Alfredo that obviously had been sitting under a heat lamp to the point where the cheese formed a hardened "spider web" around the edge of the plate. We gave up by the time "Italian night" appeared as the coming attraction for the dining room and ate in the Cafe Caribe topside, which was staging some kind of German dinner with sausages, knockwurst, bratwurst, sauerkraut...ach du lieber. Thank goodness for the non-Germanic hot shrimp dish they put out.

I know....kvetsch kvetsch kvetsch. It's just not the Princess I remembered and it was sad to experience. Sorry to be Donald Downer. Meanwhile, happy holidays to all!

Regarding the second paragraph above, that is too funny!! You do realize that the fettucini alfredo is SUPPOSED to be that way?!!! :eek: That is my absolute favorite dish out of everything Princess has!

What was wrong with the German night food? This is something new and unique and most people love it (including my German husband that says he cannot get good German food at home). If you didn't like it, you could have eaten at one of the many other dining options for that night.

Also, when did you get a lobster balcony dinner for free? Was this like 10 years ago? :confused:

And, the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast has ALWAYS had a charge. It is not the normal room service stuff. If you had tried it, you would have seen that it is a totally different experience than room service. It was originally $28 and has gone up to $32 I believe.

Frankly, RCI has gone to the cheap side in a major way compared to Princess and that is why after finally obtaining Diamond C&A status with them, I don't want to go back to them ever again.

I have taken several 3-night repositioning cruises on Princess and have never found the service to be lacking. I do think that crews have a hard time adjusting to a short cruise if they're not used to it - on RCI's Monarch, they do them all the time so they have their routines down pat. Radiance did a series of 4- & 5-nighters that wore the crew out, and they were all looking forward to going back to longer itineraries in November. I'm thinking mainly of the cabin stewards and guest services people, who bear the brunt of a quick turnaround.

But I have a hard time believing that the length of the itinerary should matter to the dining staff . They cook, they clean up. Whether they do it on a long or short cruise shouldn't matter. I'm not questioning the OP's report about the food & service, just wondering why it whould make any difference to them (crew).

We're back on the Sapphire after a 2-year hiatus from Princess (for no good reason, it just happened). I don't have fond memories of the food, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. And my hips are already thanking me for the extra padding they'll get from the fettuccini...:eek::D

Many of the Princess Ships are now offering below standard food service and quality this year. Last year was the last time they bought tons of Atlantic Lobsters and tons of good meats. Now you have to pay for it in their speciality restaurants.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have now beat Carnival Corporation in gaining new cruisers, because The Princess Brand is no longer seen to be valuable or good, especially the food.

The Great Seafood days in the buffet are gone like unlimited Lobster Claws, scallops, and now everything is under heatlamps hidden in some unknown sauce.

The gala nights, the menu may look tantalizing but the reality is, the quality and portions are no longer what they used to be,

The Crown and the Caribbean Princess this year have lost their shine also.

More and more Springers are showing up on the ships because it becoming more affordable for the Carnival Crowds to come aboard and run the ship that Princess no longer police peoples bad behaviors.:eek::eek::eek::eek::(:confused:

Archived