Protect Our C&A Benefits

What will you do if RCCL change the C&A benefits again?  

1,238 members have voted

1. 1. What will you do if RCCL change the C&A benefits again?

• Continue to cruise with them, but write and complain about the way they treat their loyal customers
    • Continue to cruise with them as if it didn't matter.
    • Cruise less with them and more with their competitors.
    • Change cruise lines completley.
    • Cancel an existing cruise.
    • I am a gold member.
    • I am a platinum member.
    • I am a diamond member.
    • I am a diamond+ member - but not sure for how long?

But, where can you get a balcony room, all inclusvie minus liguor for under $1800 for 2? quote]

Carnival, NCL, Princess! I jumped the RCL bandwagon and cancelled a 7 day RCL cruise to save over $1000 and take an 8 day cruise on Carnival! I am diamond, but since Royal is no longer loyal to me, I will be making my future cruises based on itinerary and price versus cruise line. If RCL has the best price on my chosen itinerary, I'll cruise RCL; if not, then some other line gets the booking.

P.S. I'm also pissed at RCL for pulling the 3/4 day trips out of southern California. The only choice now is Carnival! Bad RCL, bad.:mad:

I did not vote in the poll did not make to much sense to me but having been through the cuts in benefits last year We decided to venture out and try other cruise lines.

What we liked about RCL was not only do they have great ships but you rewarded with sticking by them. I sometimes felt the line became clouded for us were we cruising because we wanted to move up in status and with RCL liberal benefit program it was easy to do so or is it they we enjoyed cruising and it was nice to be rewarded as well. I always felt it was nice cruising with rcl and being rewarded for doing so. Those days are somewhat long gone and now we just cruised because we enjoy it..

We are one cruise away from being diamond and now it no longer matter to us and it would be so easy to reach diamond living in Ft Lauderdale but we decided we will just cruise on any ship that looks interesting to us, that is priced right and has an interesting itinerary it makes no difference if it is RCL, Princess, NCL etc.

I fully understand why they made the changes they did and probably will understand if they make more of them I don't like it but I do understand.

All that matter to us now is that the ship is nice and clean, has above average activities, good shows, great service,decent food and that we have a good time. Cruising is still a great value vacation when we feel it is no longer a value then we will find something else to do.

This poll is obviously biased. I don't care what the benefits are. Loyalty benefits are not my drive for cruise vacations. If they want to give me free stuff, fine. But if they don't, I don't care. I'll continue to vacation the way I love without worrying about it.

I feel likewise. The little perks are nice, but I certainly don't choose a cruise line based on whether or not I get a 25 cent chocolate on my pillow at night, or whether or not my free happy hour drink is wine or liquor (it's free, for crying out loud), or because I save $4.00 on a Johnny Rockets cover charge!

I choose my cruiseline primarily on the service I get, based on my past experience with that cruiseline. I have only been on three non-RC cruises, but if I ranked the service I got overall on my assorted cruises, those three would be the bottom three. For that reason, I will continue to favor Royal Caribbean, even if (gasp!) they take away the coupon books entirely. ;)

Wow, the response from this poll is tremendous thank you all so much.

I understand all of the comments about the poll being biased - as I said earlier today, it certainly is, that was why its here. Those of us who have suffered at RCCL's hands in the last year know why this is important to us - the small minority that have not been affected are very lucky (inlcuding the suite guests). Its no fun being forced to sit in a small corner of a lounge and offered cheap and nasty wine at our diamond benefit. And wahy can't we get our 25% discount during 'diamond event' hours at any bar - we have computers that do that sort of thing easily nowadays.

Having been told by the ship's crew that they have NO influence over HOW the benefits are applied I am still wondering if they know what the words customer service mean. They chose HOW and WHERE events are held and if they ewish, what extras to offfer, such as peanuts or snacks. In our case they provided huge hot food and snakcks to people watching a football match in the bars, but not to Diamond members (unless we watched the match). We even missed sailway becasue the muster drill was postponed until after the footy match, which just happened to be as we sailed out of port.

I don't want chocolates on my pillow, but the towel animals are FREE to provide. I dont want useless discount vouchers - e.g. 10% off a $100 bottle of wine - but I do want the Loyalty Ambassador to listen to my complaint about the diamond event being held in the darkest, smallest and most miserable area of the ship.

OK so I maybe did not totally get the questions for the poll right, but when they change the Diamod grade again and kick us out of the Diamond lounges and make them D+ only; like they did with the CL last year. Or change the CL to suite guests only; just what will we do - grin and bear it. Once they announce their changes it will be too late.

All I ask from RCCL is that they do not just tinker with the benefits - if the market and financial situation is that bad make a complete break. But please do not change any benefits after we have booked and paid, because that really is frustrating - last October we had paid and expected access to the CL but did not get it.

I'm only a lowly platinum, but I don't think I'd want to ever be diamond under these circumstances. What did they do to force you to sit in the lounge? How did they cause you to suffer? How did they force the "cheap and nasty" wine down your throat?

I understand your complaints, and I can even sympathize to a certain extent, but there is no need to exaggerate.

We don't cruise for the perks, they are nice when you get 'em, but we understand that any perks from any organization/corporation/whatever can be changed or taken away at any time. It's BUSINESS. Use the product if you like it ... if you don't like it, use another product!!

There would be a lot less diamond/diamond + IF they would revoke all points earned for passengers UNDER 21. Everyone would start at ZERO points at age 21. You have to EARN points yourself, instead of getting them because someone else paid for your cruise. If you do not think this to be true, count all the rebuttles to this post, add them up. You will see how many fewer diamonds/diamond + there would be.

I think you should get credits based on your cruises... My daughter just turned 18 and is a platinum in her own right.. I agree you should not get credit based on what others in your household have achieved... But by your reasoning my wife should get no credits as I have paid for each of her cruises.

Personally i agree the only benefit I care about is the balcony discount.. the rest can stay or go.. I prefer the 4-5 day cruises as they work well with my schedule I don't take them to rack up cruise credits... i am heading out in a week for my second cruise in 3 months.. i guess that makes me evil or RCCL has seen the value of those that cruise often on shorter cruises....

I think you should get credits based on your cruises... My daughter just turned 18 and is a platinum in her own right.. I agree you should not get credit based on what others in your household have achieved... But by your reasoning my wife should get no credits as I have paid for each of her cruises.

Personally i agree the only benefit I care about is the balcony discount.. the rest can stay or go.. I prefer the 4-5 day cruises as they work well with my schedule I don't take them to rack up cruise credits... i am heading out in a week for my second cruise in 3 months.. i guess that makes me evil or RCCL has seen the value of those that cruise often on shorter cruises....

Here is the problem, as RCL claims, there are too many Diamond members and they overcrowd the Diamond Lounge. So, RCL says they will exclude Diamond members. Now, one reason there is so much overcrowding is little Johnny and Suzie went on a cruise every year with their parents since they were 10 years old. Now they are 21 year old and instant Diamond Members. Hence they add to the overcrowding of the Diamond lounges. Now, if their points are reset to ZERO at age 21, less people in the Diamond Lounge and overcrowding is eliminated. And, let's face it, that is the biggest gripe among Diamond Passengers - Elimination of the Diamond Lounge. RCI is, like most businesses these days, are trying hard to attract new customers, and forgetting about their existing loyal customers. Guess what RCI, you will lose your loyal customer base, just as Massachusetts lost a long held democratic seat in the house. Better keep your loyal fan base happy.

I would like to appologize to all you loyal RCCL C&A members. I know the reason the benefits are going away. It is our fault. We were introduced 3 years ago and are looking forward to our first cruise as Platinum. Figures, anytime we find something we like, it gets discontinued. Here we were working hard to rise in the ranks of C&A only to find that before we knew it, most of those benefits are going away. To some folks that are accustomed to being treated every day the way RCCL treats it's customers, this is the only time we get that special treatment. I'll keep happy thoughts that RCCL will get back on track.

Erika

I didn't take the time to read this entire thread, but did do a thread search and did not come up with the following question.

My TA has just informed me that RCCL did not give her clients (2 different parties) the amount of C&A Diamond balcony discount that they are suppose to be getting. My TA says she called RCCL C&A three times and got the same answer all three. Basically, it sounds like the discount has been cut back as of the first of the year, but she also mentioned rate codes could be the cause. I thought a C&A discount was a discount and nothing could touch that, although I know it is not combinable with other incentives like Stock, C&A coupons, and certain OBC promos. :confused:

Here's a bit of her email to me.

I just booked a 10 nighter on RCL.. they are Diamond Plus.. it was $100 off per person for a total of $200. Also booked 11 nighters.. $100 off per person for a total of $200. Certainly doesn't jive now does it....but I called three times.. and that's what I got all three times.

She also told me that the C&A Diamond (or any level) balcony discount may not be combinable with the Happy Hour/Tuesday specials. I always that they were.

Here's something she sent me about that:

It expressly says C&A discounts are not combinable with any promotion.

Anyone had any recent booking experience trying to get your C&A discounts?

PS - To answer the POLL, we think we are leaving and going on HAL for this next cruise. Tired of trying to work out all the Cans and Can'ts, and I know my TA is!

Here is the problem, as RCL claims, there are too many Diamond members and they overcrowd the Diamond Lounge. So, RCL says they will exclude Diamond members. Now, one reason there is so much overcrowding is little Johnny and Suzie went on a cruise every year with their parents since they were 10 years old. Now they are 21 year old and instant Diamond Members. Hence they add to the overcrowding of the Diamond lounges. Now, if their points are reset to ZERO at age 21, less people in the Diamond Lounge and overcrowding is eliminated. And, let's face it, that is the biggest gripe among Diamond Passengers - Elimination of the Diamond Lounge. RCI is, like most businesses these days, are trying hard to attract new customers, and forgetting about their existing loyal customers. Guess what RCI, you will lose your loyal customer base, just as Massachusetts lost a long held democratic seat in the house. Better keep your loyal fan base happy.

So, even though our kids went on the cruises, although we as the parent paid for them, in their own cabin across the hall from us, or next door in a balcony cabin. You still think that they should not get the C & A points?

I don't follow your logic, especially not after we've spent quite a bit of $ taking our kids on most of our cruises.

If that logic is what you follow, the person stating he paid for his wife (perhaps she doesn't have gainful employment of her own) or the wife gifted her husband, or a friend treated another friend....those people should also not be eligible for C & A points.

I personally think the whole thing is a little ridiculous, worrying so much about puny little perks. A gratis drink would be enjoyed by us, but it is not a make or break decision. A chocolate on the pillow was a nice touch, but we've had dinner with dessert, we can live without another ounce of chocolate that night. The free gifts, hate to say it but we always left them behind, gave them away or they went into the trash. The coupons merely serve as a way to get the pax to spend more money to save a few cents. About the only useful thing I've taken away from any cruise ship is a pen that I use until the ink dries.

Balcony discounts, now you're talking money...that makes a difference. But, then I think about the savings we'd enjoy by not purchasing wine for our cabin and brining our own will be as much as a balcony discount. So, for us, RCI even with its perks may not have much of a future with us.

Balcony discounts, now you're talking money...that makes a difference. But, then I think about the savings we'd enjoy by not purchasing wine for our cabin and brining our own will be as much as a balcony discount. So, for us, RCI even with its perks may not have much of a future with us.

Happy - Not sure if you saw what I wrote above your post because we were posting/typing around the same time. I'd like your input. ;)

Happy - Not sure if you saw what I wrote above your post because we were posting/typing around the same time. I'd like your input. ;)

I really don't know. I'm not a TA and the one RCI cruise we have booked for this year we have a C & A discount @ diamond level.

Maybe a TA has more knowledge.

I understand your complaints, and I can even sympathize to a certain extent, but there is no need to exaggerate./quote]

OK, you caught me out, I was over egging the bread. We were only told where to sit the first night - because if we didn't we would not get our free drink. Then of course we found out it was cheap and nasty, so we left, and drank what we wanted and where we wanted. Funy though we could not get our 25% discount unless we sat where they told us.

Funny how four weeks makes a difference; we had access to a wondeful diamond lounge with any choice of drinks, magazines, ice show tickets and a great waiter and hostess. Next cruise on a ship perfectly capable of providing the same level of service, we had nothing but what I described above; and lousy customer service too.

At least on our next cruise, regardless of what RCCL do before in terms of C&A benfits I do not expect anything other than nice cruise with some great friends and as ever, excellent food, entertainment and ports of call.

Well, now over 400 votes cast, thank you all again.

OK, you caught me out, I was over egging the bread. We were only told where to sit the first night - because if we didn't we would not get our free drink. Then of course we found out it was cheap and nasty, so we left, and drank what we wanted and where we wanted. Funy though we could not get our 25% discount unless we sat where they told us.

Funny how four weeks makes a difference; we had access to a wondeful diamond lounge with any choice of drinks, magazines, ice show tickets and a great waiter and hostess. Next cruise on a ship perfectly capable of providing the same level of service, we had nothing but what I described above; and lousy customer service too.

At least on our next cruise, regardless of what RCCL do before in terms of C&A benfits I do not expect anything other than nice cruise with some great friends and as ever, excellent food, entertainment and ports of call.

Well, now over 400 votes cast, thank you all again.

Some ships have a Concierge Lounge.

Some ships have a Diamond Lounge.

Some ships have nothing.

Before the changes, if you sailed on a ship with no lounge, you received no diamond benefits.

Now on those ships, there is the nightly Diamond event.

If you sail on a ship with a Diamond lounge, you can enter it as a Diamond.

If it's that important to you, sail on a ship with a Diamond Lounge.

And stop whinging.

Why not just look at it on the bright side....of your next 4 cruises, one has a Diamond Lounge, and the other 3 never had a concierge lounge. Of the 3 without concierge lounges, you never would have gotten the nightly Diamond event prior to the last changes. You are benefiting from the changes.

A lot of people on this thread seem to think that those people who complain about lost benefits are being petty. It isn't that they are being petty, but it was something that was in a way promised by RCI, that if they cruised with them, they would give them some type of rewards.

What if you worked for a company for thirty years and they promised you benefits for life, even after you retired. Now, due to the economy and financial situation at the company they drastically reduce your benefits. Is that right?

Loosing medical benefits is not the same as loosing use of a lounge for a cruise, but it has the same meaning. It has gotten to the point that a handshake or your word doesn't mean anything anymore.

I think "loyalty" is a two way street. The cruise line works hard to develop customer loyalty and then treats them like this. It makes you wonder where their loyalty is.

My husband and I are Diamond Plus and we sail with my sister, her husband and my dad. The others are Diamond. After all the changes in benefits, my husband and I decided not to sail RCCL again as we felt they didn't value our business. We still feel that way and have taken three Carnival cruises and has as good a time on them as we ever did on RCCL.

My family has a lot of points to be used towards OBC because they were using the Royal Caribbean credit card so they wanted to use them so we are sailing Freedom in April. Now that there probably will be more changes to the program, it is doubtful we will sail RCCL again.

I think the problem with so many Diamond/Plus is one that was created by Royal Caribbean itself. There are many people who are Diamond members because they LIED and said they lived with a Diamond member so got to be Diamond in one cruise. There are also so many who have sailed 3 day cruises in a JS and got to be Diamond in 15 days.

There are also those who spend zip on the ship now that they are Diamond. Some even brag how their SeaPass only had the tips on it. They also have bragged how they get an inside room so that they don't have to spend any more money than absolutely necessary. I do understand that some people can only afford an inside cabin and I am not faulting them. I am talking the ones who have taken advantage of everything that they possibly could. These same people spend the whole 3 hours or however long it is available at the Diamond event.

I do hope that some changes will be made to the C&A program and that things will be done more fairly. I also hope that people have to take the cruises themselves rather than just adding someone one that "lives" at the address.

As the poster before me said, Loyalty works two ways. For those of us who are really loyal, why should we be penalized for something you (RCCL) created?

It is going to change because it has to. Last week on the Oasis we had over 800 Diamond and 150 D+. For me, it won't make a difference as the C&A perks are nothing special now and it's not my main reason for cruising and until RCI actually announces any changes it really does not matter.

Ditto. Well said. Most everybody (unless grandfathered though marriage, parents, etc.) started out sailing without perks and most folks cruise for the cruise not for the "perks". On our OA sailing there were over 200 DP and another 800 D's. The number of folks at each level has increased enormously. Hotels change programs and airlines change programs....so of course cruiselines should be able to also. Would we love some of the old perks back? Sure. But that is not feasible for a business to do. They are a business and need to do what they can in order to stay in business. More than likely we would do nothing different and continue to sail with them exclusively. However, depending on what the changes are we might consider sailing with another cruiseline (which we have never done before).

I don't mind the lack of chocolates since we just save them for friends upon our return and I think the coupon book is actually kind of cheap. I hope that the changes will be reflected entirely with your cruise card and the discounts are automatically applied at time of purchase. It seems that everyone enjoys particular benefits and no one actually uses all of them. For me, the awesome customer service and food I enjoyed on our last cruise on the Radiance was much more important than saving 50 cents on a cup of coffee.

A nice balanced view is always hard to argue against, I also think that if Royal were to accept that passengers would be happy to pay a reasonable corkage fee, then some agreement could be reached.

We brought wine on Princess but ordered wine most nights at dinner. The wine was simply for use in our cabin. We had a bottle left over and gave it (along with an extra tip) to our cabin steward for excellent service all week.

We would be willing to pay a reasonable corkage charge to drink the wine we prefer.

Archived