Protect Our C&A Benefits

What will you do if RCCL change the C&A benefits again?  

1,238 members have voted

1. 1. What will you do if RCCL change the C&A benefits again?

• Continue to cruise with them, but write and complain about the way they treat their loyal customers
    • Continue to cruise with them as if it didn't matter.
    • Cruise less with them and more with their competitors.
    • Change cruise lines completley.
    • Cancel an existing cruise.
    • I am a gold member.
    • I am a platinum member.
    • I am a diamond member.
    • I am a diamond+ member - but not sure for how long?

Here is a letter I sent to Shareholder Benefits after they again informed me that I could not combine discounts (Diamond balcony and shareholder).

Dear Shareholder Benefits, This is pathetic! I am a Diamond member who has always pushed Royal Caribbean with all my friends. You know my history with you. As a loyal patron I should be able to get price discount as a Diamond member. RCL also came up with the Shareholder benefits to entice and reward its shareholders. You have already cut back on the Diamond members use of the Concierge Lounges, you cut out the dividend, and now you are going to cut back on benefits to the shareholders....... shame on you! Keep treating your most loyal and highest enhancement spending customers like this and you will shoot yourselves in the foot. I hope you pass this on to those up top. Really getting sick of this treatment. Sincerely, Rob

Still no reply to date! I encourage people to write to RCL C&A and Shareholder Benefits to let them know how you feel. If they don't hear about it, they assume it is OK. Going on Independence end of Feb. Will see what happens on that cruise.

Don't hold your breath while waiting for a reply to your letter. I am also a Diamond member (who did it the hard way by taking 7+ day cruises) and a shareholder. RCL has never answered any letters that I have sent to them.

I don't post on the internet much, but this discussion has really piqued my interest.

RC, along with many other companies, are having to completely re-do the way they do business thanks to this wonderful economy. Things may be bad now, but the long-term picture is terribly bleak if they don't increase revenue or decrease costs, and that has them terribly scared. It takes a lot of cruises to pay for the $1,400,000,000 Oasis - not to mention the rest of their fleet (oh and variable costs like fuel, staff, food, etc.).

As others have said the problems with C&A are their own doing - they created this program trying to encourage repeat cruisers - and it worked. Now, however, they face some hard choices.

If I were in their shoes, the first thing I'd do is work WITH the members, and make the process more transparent. Sure, I want as many perks as possible - but they still have to pay their bills, and a disclosed economic analysis of the perks / membership levels would be welcomed. I do agree however, that the current system is not sustainable - people can get too many credits too easily, and get too much with them.

I've seen many proposed ideas on new schemes to award credits, and I personally think the amount you pay for a sailing is as fair a measure as any other: People who book long & expensive cruises get rewarded the most, followed by those on "regular" cruises - your typical 5-8 nighter. Same with those those who book nice rooms (like Owner's and Royal suites) on short sailings (like myself), but not those there for $189.

As for the benefits - something that might make these revamps easier to stomach is allowing people to choose from a list of perks. Sure, some people do use everything offered (and cost the company a lost of money), but most of us just want one or two little "thank-you's" for staying loyal with the company, and don't want to lose our favorite perk. With all of today's computer capability, it shouldn't be too difficult to allow you say 5 "points" for platinum, 10 for diamond, etc - and then let you "spend" them on upgrades / coupons / liquor / etc - with the "point cost" based on what it actually costs the company. Want $100 balcony discount ? 3 points. Free booze before dinner? 2 points. - etc.

As for

There would be a lot less diamond/diamond + IF they would revoke all points earned for passengers UNDER 21. Everyone would start at ZERO points at age 21. You have to EARN points yourself, instead of getting them because someone else paid for your cruise. If you do not think this to be true, count all the rebuttles to this post, add them up. You will see how many fewer diamonds/diamond + there would be.

I personally take offense to this. I started cruising when I was 17, when I went with the company I worked for (I had to have the CEO be my "legal guardian"). I was platinum before I was 21, all with cruises I paid for myself / otherwise earned, going with friends or coworkers, and paying myself. The first cruise I went on with my parents, I paid for them - not the other way around. I'm sure there are many people who are D/D+ the day they turn 21 due to rich families, but everyone's story is different. I'm not rich, I just work hard.

At the end of the day, if my C&A benefits get reduced I WILL use other lines / cruise less - I love the atmosphere, but it's not the only value vacation. I've also started cruising Celebrity more as Captain's Club seems to be where C&A was a few years ago, especially with them ADDING perks last year. As for non-cruise vacations, I love to gamble, and Harrah's will give me airfare & hotel for a long weekend anywhere from $250pp to $0pp - and then all the drinks are free. Sure I lose some $$ gambling, but then I get a meal or a show comped, and at the end of the day it's pretty close to what I get on a cruise.

**Disclaimer: This is my opinion**

I would first like to start off by saying that I believe there are several issues that RCL will be resolving in the not so distant future

1. The over population of the Diamond Level. It has lost its exclusivity and will continue to lose its exclusivity as more and more people attain that level. The Diamond Plus Level is facing a similar situation, except the number members is tiny compared to the number of members in the Diamond Level.
  2. Children and adults living in the same household receiving status by osmosis. You should earn the status by actually being on the cruise.

To solve this issue, a propose first to grandfather everyone at their current levels by a certain date (say April 1, 2010)

The Crown and Anchor Society will continue to have four tiers-Gold, Platinum, Diamond, & Diamond Plus.

• Gold Status: After 1st completed cruise credit --> keep benefits as is
  • Platinum Status: After 10th completed cruise credit or 60 nights at sea ---> keep benefits as is
  • Diamond Status: After 24th completed cruise credit, or 150 nights at sea ---> ***Add benefits such as laundry, internet, and redesign nightly Diamond Event to be better than the Concierge Lounge Experience.
  • Diamond Plus Status: After 50th completed cruise credit or 250 nights at sea ------> keep benefits as is; however, give additional benefits to those who have completed well over 100 cruises, including discounts off specialty restaurants, complimentary mini-bar setup, etc.

The approach would continue to be to maintain the exclusivity of each level by grandfathering and increasing the tier level requirements.

I would also like to add that I was 16 when I attained Diamond Plus Status by being on every single cruise. I think it is rediculous to cut me out because I'm under 21 since I have been the driving force getting my parents to continue to book cruise vacations.

I am grateful for the Diamond Even on the Rhapsody cruise I just completed, though sad I will miss out on some of the CL perks on my upcoming Radiance cruise. I agree with Dan that the "problem" with loyalty only really occurs when people are rewarded who are not loyal ... ie, members of the same household being granted the same status without cruising. I think that this cut could be made, without grandfathering, and the situation would be helped (but obviously not solved).

I'm not sure how much grandfathering would really help ... that would just make it more exclusive but still leave the huge crowds that already exist.

And I have never taken 1 cruise based on getting a free drink, some type of OBC, weather some ship had a certain lounge,etc.

It has and always will be the,

-Ports

-ship

-cruise cost

Balcony discounts are welcome, never owned RCCL stock, just the debt, the interest payed to me more than covers any OBC you would get.

A lot of people on this thread seem to think that those people who complain about lost benefits are being petty. It isn't that they are being petty, but it was something that was in a way promised by RCI, that if they cruised with them, they would give them some type of rewards.

What if you worked for a company for thirty years and they promised you benefits for life, even after you retired. Now, due to the economy and financial situation at the company they drastically reduce your benefits. Is that right?

Loosing medical benefits is not the same as loosing use of a lounge for a cruise, but it has the same meaning. It has gotten to the point that a handshake or your word doesn't mean anything anymore.

I think "loyalty" is a two way street. The cruise line works hard to develop customer loyalty and then treats them like this. It makes you wonder where their loyalty is.

I think that companies do what they can to survive. I find it abhorrent that they will throw longtime workers over the side while paying millions to their CEOs, but that's a different debate, and I think your analogy is comparing apples to oranges.

Loyalty programs, whether airline, hotel or cruiseline, are designed to maximize profitabilty by providing incentives for people to return. But they don't just want warm bodies onboard - they want people who will make them money. Airlines like frequent flyers because they often fly last minute and pay higher fares. Hotels like frequent travellers because they will often dine at the hotel restaurants, drink at the bars, etc. Cruises would like to believe that their frequent cruisers do the same, but they often end up not spending a dime onboard. I don't think that kind of behavior constitutes "loyalty" from the line's perspective.

An their loyalty is, always has been, and always will be to their shareholders (via the bottom line), which is as it should be IMHO. Although we all want to believe that we are important to the company, if we cost more than we earn for them, they have to reduce the cost.

We spend plenty of money onboard, and wouldn't mind seeing a points program that rewards that spending. But I doubt that RCI will be the first line to break from the number of cruises/days at sea formula for determining loyalty. I do think that they're doing something like that with upgrades, because on the last couple of cruises I've been on, many available full suites have vanished 3 weeks prior to sailing, all in one fell swoop, leaving none for D+ members.

I realize that I'm speaking from a relatively safe position as we're closing in on 100 credits and have over 200 days at sea with RCI. I fully expect to see further cuts at the DP level, including being tossed from the CL. I won't like it, but accept that it's necessary to keep the fleet afloat and pay off the massive debt on Oasis & Allure. I just get p-o'd when the press releases or letters (that we never get) try to convince me that they're improving things. A little honesty can go a long way toward assuaging hurt feelings, after all.

And I have never taken 1 cruise based on getting a free drink, some type of OBC, weather some ship had a certain lounge,etc.

It has and always will be the,

-Ports

-ship

-cruise cost

Balcony discounts are welcome, never owned RCCL stock, just the debt, the interest payed to me more than covers any OBC you would get.

I could have written this post myself. My only exception would be the order of my preferences, which would be:

-Ship

-Ports

-Cost

The ship being #1 on my priority list is why I prefer RCI. I think they have the best ships, hands down.

My first RCI cruise was fantastic. I had no perks. I keep returning because I keep having that same fantastic experience. The perks are nice. I do use them. However, they have no bearing in my planning.

..it took me a whole THREE cruises to make Platinum. Two of them were 12 niters so I got extra points; but really, that's probably too fast. RCI cannot sustain the benefits. They

"created a monster" economically speaking.

Carnival for years had NO veteran benefits to speak of, other than the occasional suprise bump in category; then started the VIP rewards system. But you have to cruise TEN

cruises (length of cruise is not considered) before you get any benefits; and they do NOT include price reductions on balconies or suites. Best part of Carnival's Diamond status (10 or more)

is FREE laundry; but Carnival does not have to invest near the money for it's program that RCI is forced to do.

I know the "genie is already out of the bottle" for RCI; but if they didn't have to give so

many discounts to so many Platinum and Diamond members as well as multiple free special meals and free liquor; perhaps they could have

rates a little more competitive with Carnival in the first place.

Mitch

At cruises 25, 50, 75, & 100 there is a great benefit; of the equil % of credit depending on the milestone cruise. At the 100th cruise you receive a free 8 night cruise!! Think of what is possible on an expensive 75th cruise, with 75% onboard credit.

...I still have a LONG way to 25 CCL cruises (I like to do others too); but your clarification goes even farther to confirm my original point. It take MUCH LESS cruising with Royal Caribbean than Carnival to get ALOT more benefits; and in RCI's current financial situation;

they can't sustain that system.

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise was with RCCL several years ago, and we stuck with them because of their loyalty program. We looked forward to accumulating cruise credits, booked next cruises while on board, and even bought some RCCL stock so that we could use the shareholder benefits. We were on the verge of Diamond Plus.

All that changed last year when they pulled back the benefits and stopped combinabilty of some of the OBCs. As for the C&A loyalty program, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I don't place any trust in the viability of any loyalty program offering.

As a result, we became cruise "whores" and we now cruise with other lines that offer the best intinerary and price. We don't worry about any cruise line's benefits. We cruise when and where we want, with any line that suits us.

So much for RCCL's loyalty programs.

If you find another cruise line with better benefits than RCCL's please post it here for all of us to benefit. We have looked and cannot find one.

RCCL made the requirements for Diamond Plus more difficult to achieve because the program offered more benefits than any other cruise line. The old requirements were so low that the membership had swelled beyond the capacity the Concierge lounges were originally built to handle.

Even with the new Diamond Plus requirements, the Concierge Lounge occasionally continues to be too small for the current membership requirements. Look for RCCL to increase the membership requirements again sometime in the future.

As a result, we became cruise "whores" and we now cruise with other lines that offer the best intinerary and price. We don't worry about any cruise line's benefits. We cruise when and where we want, with any line that suits us.

So much for RCCL's loyalty programs.

We have switched to Princess. We love their ships and the food is wonderful. ALSO - they allow you to bring wine on board and order a bottle of booze from room service to enjoy in your cabin. We're elite status so 500 free internet minutes, FREE laundry and dry cleaning, free wine tasting event, free mini bar set up in your cabin, etc, etc..........

We have a RCL cruise this April, we are taking it because it's a wierd set of circumstances and it is non refundable. But that's our last one.

Bye Bye RCL...................

Do you think that Princess or any other cruise do not also charge similar prices for wines, of course they do. Prices on ships are generally not greater than those charged in most Hotels or restaurants of similar standards.

In fact I would have thought that in most of the hotels in the Miami or Fort Lauderdale area, the wine prices are actually higher than on the ships.

Princess/Holland America and others allows you to take as much wine as you would like on their ships

Please-get ready for the April explosion. Changes will happen to all I'm thinking.

I do hope RCCL takes a note from Princess with the bar set up in your room. No need to worry about an overcrowded lounge!!:D

Question-If you buy a bottle of liquor from Princess for your room-duty free prices??? I know-a shot in the dark but one can hope!!!;)

I am really confused by this thread. Is this all based on speculation?

Last time they made changes, September, they notified everyone in advance. Are people saying that April 1st RC is just going to spring new/less perks on everyone without notice? I doubt any company would roll out something without warning.

Maybe I missed something in this thread, but nobody has provided anything credible at this point. If I did miss something could someone kindly let me know without jumping down my throat?

Thanks ;)

At cruises 25, 50, 75, & 100 there is a great benefit; of the equil % of credit depending on the milestone cruise. At the 100th cruise you receive a free 8 night cruise!! Think of what is possible on an expensive 75th cruise, with 75% onboard credit.

I have forty two CRUISES ( not credits, I have 44 credits) and find the D+ perks to be small - especailly on ships with no CL. There is really no pricing incentive over folks with 10 credits, and none if i do not select a balcony.

Do you know the current extra benefit at 50 credits and is it for every sailing from 50-74 or just the 50th?

I REALLY miss not being able to combine benefits. That made for real savings.

M

If you find another cruise line with better benefits than RCCL's please post it here for all of us to benefit. We have looked and cannot find one.

Take a look at Princess for the reasons Cruisefreaks mentioned. Just being able to take our own wine onboard and having access to a laundromat on each deck is a big plus. Here's a link to their member benefits.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp

If April is the magic "change" date I hope that is comes in early April. I have a final payment due in April for a summer cruise. I booked that cruise with RCCL on the Liberty because we would still get the "old" diamond perks. I'd gladly cancel and book another cruise line if the perks were to disappear. My October cruise on the Mariner does not offer the "old" perks and is far enough away to easily cancel.

I really do like the RCCL line but since last year's changes I have been looking at other cruise lines' web sites and have found a lot out there that is appealing. It would not be that difficult to walk away from Royal Caribbean.

Please-get ready for the April explosion. Changes will happen to all I'm thinking.

I do hope RCCL takes a note from Princess with the bar set up in your room. No need to worry about an overcrowded lounge!!:D

Question-If you buy a bottle of liquor from Princess for your room-duty free prices??? I know-a shot in the dark but one can hope!!!;)

Nope. Here are the liquor prices:

Liquor & Beer Packages

Bourbon

Jim Beam 375ml bottleItem #2330 $17.00

Crown Royal 375ml bottleItem #2331 $22.00

Jack Daniel's 375ml bottleItem #2332 $26.00

Scotch

J&B Rare 375ml bottleItem #2338 $17.00

Johnny Walker Red Label 375ml bottleItem #2339 $24.00

Cognac

Courvoisier VSOP 350ml bottleItem #2344 $30.00

Vodka

Skyy 375ml BottleItem #2350 $17.00

Absolut 375ml BottleItem #2351 $20.00

Rum

Bacardi White 375ml bottleItem #2357 $17.00

Cruzan Coconut Rum 375ml bottleItem #2358 $17.00

Gin

Gordon's 375ml bottleItem #2364 $17.00

Bombay Sapphire 375ml bottleItem #2365 $22.00

Liqueur

Brogan's Irish Cream 350ml bottleItem #2371 $19.00

(375 ml is the quantity of a can of Coke - it's just over 12 ounces; 350 is just under the size of that can)

Okay, here is a twist to the predominant view on here (mostly by Diamond members), DW and I have chosen RCCL for the loyalty benefits. We love the idea of free drinks in a private lounge, balcony discounts etc.

We don't think the product is any better than Carnival, but they won't benefit regular repeat custom, so we are trying RCCL.

I am sure that once we make Diamond and share the experiences of many of you posting here, we will switch to Princess :D but until that time we are enjoying ourselves accumulating credits.

Okay, here is a twist to the predominant view on here (mostly by Diamond members), DW and I have chosen RCCL for the loyalty benefits. We love the idea of free drinks in a private lounge, balcony discounts etc.

We don't think the product is any better than Carnival, but they won't benefit regular repeat custom, so we are trying RCCL.

If you mean Carnival won't benefit repeat customers, that is not true. It's a much simpler system than RCI and it takes more cruises; but once you reach 10 cruises you are "Platinum". It's true there are no fare discounts available (considering Royal's struggles with this; probably a smart thing on Carnival's part) because of your status, but it does mean priority boarding with your own lounge to relax; and you board first assuming you are there on time; you receive a gift; and two nites sweets and hour'drves delivered; prority tender tickets if applicable, but really the best perk is unlimited FREE LAUNDRY. The standard repeaters party with free drinks (but that's open to everyone after one cruise, Carnival does not have a special party for Platinum; again probably smart). But, no coupon books, no two for ones; but that Laundry is nice.

Mitch

I think that companies do what they can to survive. I find it abhorrent that they will throw longtime workers over the side while paying millions to their CEOs, but that's a different debate, and I think your analogy is comparing apples to oranges.

Loyalty programs, whether airline, hotel or cruiseline, are designed to maximize profitabilty by providing incentives for people to return. But they don't just want warm bodies onboard - they want people who will make them money. Airlines like frequent flyers because they often fly last minute and pay higher fares. Hotels like frequent travellers because they will often dine at the hotel restaurants, drink at the bars, etc. Cruises would like to believe that their frequent cruisers do the same, but they often end up not spending a dime onboard. I don't think that kind of behavior constitutes "loyalty" from the line's perspective.

An their loyalty is, always has been, and always will be to their shareholders (via the bottom line), which is as it should be IMHO. Although we all want to believe that we are important to the company, if we cost more than we earn for them, they have to reduce the cost.

We spend plenty of money onboard, and wouldn't mind seeing a points program that rewards that spending. But I doubt that RCI will be the first line to break from the number of cruises/days at sea formula for determining loyalty. I do think that they're doing something like that with upgrades, because on the last couple of cruises I've been on, many available full suites have vanished 3 weeks prior to sailing, all in one fell swoop, leaving none for D+ members.

I realize that I'm speaking from a relatively safe position as we're closing in on 100 credits and have over 200 days at sea with RCI. I fully expect to see further cuts at the DP level, including being tossed from the CL. I won't like it, but accept that it's necessary to keep the fleet afloat and pay off the massive debt on Oasis & Allure. I just get p-o'd when the press releases or letters (that we never get) try to convince me that they're improving things. A little honesty can go a long way toward assuaging hurt feelings, after all.

Jean, excellent! I feel exactly the same way you do.

What we have discovered, is that other lines, including Celebrity, have many great benefits for their Loyalty Program. Staying with one line for the sake of benefits is, IMHO, losing out on some of the other great itineraries out there.

We love RCCL, will continue to cruise with them, and hope that the benefits remain intact, but if they do change, it won't stop us from cruising with them.

Archived