La Terra Wine

DP

I recently returned from the IOS and this "terrible" wine is no longer offered at any bar BUT is still being served in concierge lounge. I was not able to get an answer as to whether RCCL is going to change this wine for the nightly functions. Has anyone heard any rumors?

I believe they continue to serve it to discourage anyone participating in these events and forcing us to pay for a better quality at their regular bars.

I recently returned from the IOS and this "terrible" wine is no longer offered at any bar BUT is still being served in concierge lounge. I was not able to get an answer as to whether RCCL is going to change this wine for the nightly functions. Has anyone heard any rumors?

I believe they continue to serve it to discourage anyone participating in these events and forcing us to pay for a better quality at their regular bars.

I can tell you when I was on Oasis the wine was so bad in the concierge lounge that I left and went down to Vintages and paid to have a decent glass of wine...what a shame when you are paying suite prices....think that may be my last suite for a while.....the perks just ain't worth the cost.

Awww come one, we love that wine. Its just table wine. It goes down smooth to me.

I usually opt for a Chateau St. Michelle, 2004 if you can find it or an Indian Wells, also 2004 if you are really lucky, we love Washington state wines, but heck, I can handle La Terre as just a common table wine. Then go to Vintages or Champagne bar for a treat.

I work in the food and bev biz,,Let me tell you what they pay for this swill..we don't order anywhere near the amontthat a cruise ship would and we pay 7.73 for 1.5 so I'm betting the the ships are paying less than 5.00 a bottle.

I honestly don't mind the Chardonnay.

I like a cheap wine that is just that... wine. nicer bottles of wine have intricate flavors, and complex finishes that you really need to sit and concentrate on to enjoy. When heading to the CL for a drink before dinner, all I want is wine, the Chardonnay doesn't have any funky flavors, bouquet, or finish... not too dry, not overly sweet or fruity... its just wine. That's fine by me

The new bar menus no longer carry La Terre (as one CD said, the name means "the earth" and it tastes like dirt) and don't even have a house wine anymore. The Castle Rock at $6.00 is the closest thing. I found that to be pretty decent stuff and wouldn't mind seeing it become the new CL wine.

I'm sorry to hear that the Oasis CL wine was bad - we saw a bunch of Chilean wine bottles in the fridge when we passed through during a PI and had high hopes that they were upgrading the choices.

Lots of people drink the house wine without complaint. I don't happen to be one of them and would rather spend time in one of the bars drinking what I like instead of getting swill for "free." And the champagne that they pour isn't even Korbel quality IMHO. It costs RCI something like .87/bottle and the taste shows it.

I categorize wines into 2 groups: sippin' wines and chuggin' wines. The boundary between the two for me is generally around $10 a bottle (store price). There are exceptions of course, but La Terre is not an exception. La Terre is definitely a chuggin' wine.

I knew they would try to pawn off that la terre in the diamond lounge, what a slap in the face after losing the concierge lounge benefits. The chardonnay is awful and the merlot gives me a terrible headache. Then they top that with the art auction/captains welcome aboard free champagne, eek :eek:???

I can tell you when I was on Oasis the wine was so bad in the concierge lounge that I left and went down to Vintages and paid to have a decent glass of wine...what a shame when you are paying suite prices....think that may be my last suite for a while.....the perks just ain't worth the cost.

I agree; the price differences have been so great that it doesn't seem to make sense to book a GS or even a JS for an upcoming Med itinerary.

I agree; the price differences have been so great that it doesn't seem to make sense to book a GS or even a JS for an upcoming Med itinerary.

Hey Marci:)....I would still book a JS when you can find a GREAT deal....I was able to get my JS on Liberty for spring break for $1199/pp...there was a short time where they lowered them under what they were asking for D1's....for that kind of money it's worth it.

Yeah, let's all complain about the wine now. Such "whining" may just get it removed as a perk!

C'mon folks, it's free!

Just because something is free doesn't mean it's necessarily worth it;)...and it's not actually free....you had to either pay up/earn it somehow.

As a new rc cruiser I have looked in interest at all if the postings about wine.

Coming from the uk I know very little about USA wine as we tend to have European or australian wine in the uk. The only USA wine I have had is the mass mArket stuff.

I am far from an expert but I know what I like and tend to buy mid range wines in the uk paying about £10 or $15 for a bottle to drink at home. The rc drink packages didn't inspire me.

Can you get a decent wine on rc? On european cruises do they Have more local wine?

Thanks

:eek: I have worked professionally in the wine business for 15 yrs. We have a saying , and it really applies to this wine:

" That wine is so bad, I wouldn't pour it on a burning cat, and I like cats"

Chugging wine...why on God's Green Earth would you want to drink more of it , quickly?

It's highly probable that when they sent in a lab sample for testing the reply came back: " Sir, we would like to inform you that your horse is pregnant"

As a new rc cruiser I have looked in interest at all if the postings about wine.

Coming from the uk I know very little about USA wine as we tend to have European or australian wine in the uk. The only USA wine I have had is the mass mArket stuff.

I am far from an expert but I know what I like and tend to buy mid range wines in the uk paying about £10 or $15 for a bottle to drink at home. The rc drink packages didn't inspire me.

Can you get a decent wine on rc? On european cruises do they Have more local wine?

Thanks

Someone once posted on here that the RC price for wine is about $30 more than liquor store price. I tend to agree with that. So if you like a $15 bottle of wine at home, figure that will be about $45 on the ship. They do have some very nice wines on board, and as the cost goes up, the RC markup tends to be less than what you would find in a big city restaurant.

Yes, you can get a very good glass/bottle of wine on-board HOWEVER RCCL's mark-ups on wine are outrageous.

Not on everything, at least on the 2008 wine list (I don't know most of the wines on the 2010 list). Many of the wines over $35 are marked up 2-3x retail, which is what a land-based restaurant would do. At the lower end, however, they mark them up 4-5x retail, which IMHO is indeed an outrage.

Archived