Would You Pay More for Princess Cruise?

poffles

My fear with Carnival is no adult pool area and that it may be too chaotic. The singing at supper time in the MDR doesn't sound too appealing either.

Would you pay more for Princess? Why or why not?

Yes. You answered your own questions. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to add to your confusion, but we are in our late 50's and we did not care for Princess at all. Maybe we are just too laid back because it was just too stuffy for us. I don't consider classical music in the atrium all day and napkins folding classes a form of cruise entertainment.

The ship was beautiful and the crew was wonderful, but we felt like everything was catered to a much older crowd (even older than us :D ).

My husband does not like to dress up a lot, so he wears his khaki's and golf shirt most nights and on formal nights we tend to eat at the buffet so we can wear whatever we please (yes even shorts/jeans).

We have cruised with Carnival several times and do not find it to be a "party atmosphere" as some would like you to believe. Sure if you are out around the pool when they have games going on it's going to be loud, but for the most part you can be as lively or calm as you wish.

Hope this helps........

This does help actually. I'm thinkiing it might be Carnival this time and maybe try Princess after that. If we really like Carnival and don't see a reason to change then we will be saving ourselves some money. And my father will be happy.

Thanks!!!

Its a personal decision! IMHO you alway have to pay for what you get, but you don't always get what you pay for.

Having saild both Princess and Carnival I do prefer Princess. It isn't so much the food, room, or service or combination of those items. It comes down to the overall experience. Princess and Carinval live up to their advertisements themes and I don't need Carnival to have "fun". Giving a choice that Princess style is worth it over the Carnival "fun."

For others Carinval is perfect, only you can decide.

I can't believe how much I keep tossing back and forth between Carnival and Princess but Princess is about $150 more per person (both balcony) so I keep turning back to Carnival. My fear with Carnival is no adult pool area and that it may be too chaotic. The singing at supper time in the MDR doesn't sound too appealing either. What to do what to do. We are adults ... 2 in 40s and 2 in 60s. We are looking at Eastern carribean.

I'm not booking until June (for late November) and I am going to drive myself crazy until then!!!

We have been Princess junkies for the past few years and we are now just starting to focus on value and itineraries....however from what I have seen of Carnival, they would not be in our mix. Having said that Carnival has its market and does well.

I'm realizing that I just have to make a choice and find out for myself. Heck, I'll just have to go many times so I can try both and by the third one I might be a little more sure. We are like what many have said, able to make our own fun regardless if the ship is the "best" fit.

I guess if one has to be faced with decisions and choices, having to choose which ship to sail isn't the worst :)

For the record, at this time we are still leaning towards Carnival. I know I won't be happy until I can see Carnival for myself so I might as well just go for it. I suspect in the end we would be happy on either cause after all it's vacation in the Caribbean either way.

In the future we were thinking of a Panama cruise and that would definitely be Princess so the itinerary will obviously become more of the deciding factor.

Seeing that you are leaning toward Carnival, just go with an open mind and you will enjoy your cruise. Hope you get to cruise Princess in the future as it's a totally differnet experience compared to carnival. The food, service and over all ambiance on Princess can't be beat....enjoy:)

Carnival is probably more for the budget-minded and the "funship" oriented. If those are your priorities, then it would be crazy to pay more to be elsewhere. If you want a somewhat more mature experience with a generally higher level of service, a couple of hundred $ more for Princess makes sense. You might also want to consider Celebrity or HAL. If you want a "no rules" atmosphere, think NCL. The price differences are not all that great -- you should determine the line whose approach most suits you, then go with it. It is very bad economizing to buy something you do not really like just because it is a bit cheaper.

I can't believe how much I keep tossing back and forth between Carnival and Princess but Princess is about $150 more per person (both balcony) so I keep turning back to Carnival. My fear with Carnival is no adult pool area and that it may be too chaotic. The singing at supper time in the MDR doesn't sound too appealing either. What to do what to do. We are adults ... 2 in 40s and 2 in 60s. We are looking at Eastern carribean.

I'm not booking until June (for late November) and I am going to drive myself crazy until then!!!

Without hesistation I would book the Princess cruise! Only $300 more for a much more luxurious feel!?!? Do it! No gaudy decorations! Better service! An ADULT area! My guess is that at your age, you will appreciate Princess much more than the party atmosphere on most Carnival ships, especialyl Eastern Caribbean itineraries.

I think at this time the "folding napkin" type activities and classical type music in the atrium on Princess (if this is really an accurate descriptor) is off putting as it is definitely not our style and it would actually make me sad rather than relaxed.

Is this exaggerated?

Personally, I most certainly would pay the extra money. IMO, everything about Princess is better than Carnival. However, that's due to my personal preferences on board.

After reading your responses regarding your personal preferences, I would suggest sticking with Carnival. It seems to be a better fit for your choices, especially the more casual atmosphere.

I think at this time the "folding napkin" type activities and classical type music in the atrium on Princess (if this is really an accurate descriptor) is off putting as it is definitely not our style and it would actually make me sad rather than relaxed.

Is this exaggerated?

I do believe this is grossly exaggerated!! On some evenings, usually formal, they will have a string quartet playing in the atrium which fits the atmosphere perfectly. Never heard of the napkin folding thing, but certainly had loads of fun with all the activities and entertainment aboard Princess. We haven't done formal nights on Princess on our last couple of cruises, but have gone to the specialty restaurants dressed resort casual and have eaten some wonderful dinners in the Cafe Caribe (buffet). There is something for everyone....:)

Is this exaggerated?

Of course it's exaggerated.

When I've sailed Princess in the Caribbean, some activities I remember include late night comedy almost every night, a good rock cover band in the Explorer's Lounge, Princess Pop Idol (and other game/reality show take-offs), trivia, production shows, culinary demonstrations (more fun than it sounds), a crew show (not to be missed), MUTS (movies under the stars on the jumbo screen above the main pool area), and much more....

I haven't sailed on Carnival (nor will I unless they change their gaudy decor and singing/dancing waiters...), but Princess must be doing something right: of those who've posted an opinion on this thread, 18 have said they'd pay the extra to cruise Princess, while only 3 said they would not and would go with Carnival.

Is this exaggerated?

I do not know what the "folding napkin" activities are -- but I have no problem with a little serious music occasionally heard on Princess. On the other hand the wet tee shirt and hairy chest contests, and the singing waiters, on Carnival fill my definition of "offputting".

Ha ha ha ... I'm actually finding this a little hilarious now. I'm actually starting to lean towards Princess again (it's actually the Ruby we are looking at St. Marten St. Thomas ports). I don't mind serious moments, just didn't want them to be the only moments. Sounds like there is a lot more to it than fold napkins while listening to classical music on the Princess.

Hairy man contest .:eek:.. at least no mention of a female contest of that nature ... hahaha.

Ha ha ha ... I'm actually finding this a little hilarious now. I'm actually starting to lean towards Princess again (it's actually the Ruby we are looking at St. Marten St. Thomas ports). I don't mind serious moments, just didn't want them to be the only moments. Sounds like there is a lot more to it than fold napkins while listening to classical music on the Princess.

Hairy man contest .:eek:.. at least no mention of a female contest of that nature ... hahaha.

If you are considering the Ruby, you will love her. We sailed on her sister ship, the Emerald Princess and a truly elegant, beautiful ship. If you would like more information on the Ruby, just go over to the Princess board:)

There certainly a good deal of hyperbole in that post about folding napkins. In truth, the best thing about Princess is that there is something for everyone. You can hear classical music in the atrium of a Carnival cruise too. They have some nice string quartets there.

Cruisemom's post about Princess is pretty accurate. There are just a lot of choices of things to do. I am also a fan of Explorers Club. It is a good sized venue and we had a great cover band on the Crown Princess last April that played anything and everything from every decade from the 60s on. If you like disco (:eek:), there's Skywalkers. There is also Club Fusion and many other choices. The Ruby is the newest in the larger sister ships that include the Crown. I don't know what your Carnival choice is. But the Ruby is a great choice. We're doing the Ruby for our Med cruise and I can't wait. I will say this. My kids had a great time on Princess. But next time we cruise with them, we're going Royal Caribbean, which I think is a step up, in terms of amenities, from Carnival.

DH and I are similar ages to you. We went on our first cruise last summer on the Ruby and thought it was fantastic! Of course, I can't comment on Carnival, but I thought Princess was worth every penny ;) There is so much choice of activity whilst on board that you really don't have to be restricted to just "stuffy" things.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time :D

Princess:

Folding napkin +1

Classic Music +1

BTW if you need classic hits ( 70, 80, 90s etc. ) live dancing music they got that +1

No dancing waiters on table +1

No hairy man contest +1

No contiuous playing of the hairy man contest on TV +2

Interior color theme/decoration. If elegance is your preference+1 If Las Vegas style loud/fun is yours then =1

Princess has almost everything activity wise as Carnival minues a few ;) They just do it in a less in your face "having fun" way.

Food, service, entertainment are a tossup.

Would sail Carnival if the schedule and port lineup is right but if all things are the same more than willing to spend 50 maybe even 100 bucks / day more. In this case you do get something for what you pay for ;)

Is this exaggerated?

I'm 61 and sail solo. I've sailed both Carnival and Princess many times. I pay more for Princess, but I believe I get more also, but only in little ways. I think the dining room food is a bit better, but not all that much. I'm perfectly happy with either line. To me they are much more similar than different. If you're comparing comparable cruises, there won't be much difference.

We cruise Princess (elite) - Celebrity (elite) - HAL (**) primarily. I don't think Carnival is comparible to these lines.

If you can't decide between Princess and Carnival, I think you should stay with CArnival.

I am not going to read three pages of posts so if this was brought up, it wasn't on page 1, ignore it. Is this cruise the week of Thanksgiving? If not, there are not going to be that many kids on the ship because they will be in school. There won't be many college students either, same reason. What's wrong with singing waiters? I think they only do it on the last night anyway. However based on your age I think you might enjoy Princess more but not for any of the reasons you stated. I have not sailed on Princess and it's been over 30 years since I sailed with CCL. I have sailed with Celebrity and I think Princess is closer to them than Carnival. I would read the boards for both Princess & CCL and if you have specific cruises on each go to the specific cruise and read who else is going, that may help you decide. Which ever you choose I am sure you will have a great time.

I don't consider classical music in the atrium all day and napkins folding classes a form of cruise entertainment.

The ship was beautiful and the crew was wonderful, but we felt like everything was catered to a much older crowd (even older than us :D ).

I think it REALLY depends on the Princess Ship. The worst cruise we ever had was on a Princess ship but we gave them another chance and had a grand one (on the GRAND:))...............BUT, the MUTS drove everyone nuts. It was so LOUD that you couldn't take your food from the buffet to eat outside if you wanted a conversation...............and that noise played all day and evening.

I'd compare cabin size as well; we were shocked when we went from HAL to a Princess cabin.........smaller.............and the shower was tiny.

Archived