Is it possible to request a table.....

that won't have any children seated at? I know that sounds terrible, but I will be travelling with my elderly mom, who needs to have early seating. Then I realized all families with young children will be dining at that time. I don't think my mom would want to be sitting at a table with a bunch of children (no offense). Would RCI know in advance if there are children at a table?

Not sure if you can request "no children" but you can request a specific table size.

If it is just you and your mother, you could request a table for 2 or if other people in your group, you could request a table for 4.

Or if you want to socialize with other cruisers, take your table assignment then see who you are seated with the first night. If you do not like the table, request a change for the rest of the cruise through the maitre d.

No, but you could check with the maitre de when you board (I believe he is in the dining room from 1 p.m.) - he can tell you the demographics of your table and make appropriate changes if necessary. I do know that they try to have a table made up of "like" people, but sometimes drop the ball.

I do not think that it sounds terrible at all. If you do not have any children in your party I can understand why you would not want to sit with a family with them. I think that they do try to match you but if they don't you can always request another table.

They are generally very good about booking tables for people of similar ages. I've never had a problem and I'm the one with the young kids. :p Check out your tablemates, if any, on the first night. You can usually change tables.

I agree with all of the above: good solutions.

I had to chuckle about you being apologetic about not wanting to sit near children. My DH and I have "child radar" when we enter a restaurant. We have eye signals to notify each other where the noisy kids are, and if the hostess takes us anywhere near little children (we discriminate against the PARENTS, not the kids), we ask for another table. We are of the opinion that parents sometimes are not very considerate when they allow their kids to be noisy at the table in a restaurant. So, we take precautions to not sit next to small children, because we don't know how tuned-in the parents are.

Enjoy your cruise with your Mom!!

I actually was thinking of MTD and when I tried reserving that, it made automatic tips. I don't like that. I'm afraid we won't get as much attention if they know they already have the tips. Then I read that there is no guarantee you will get your exact time and people have had to wait on a line. My mom can't stand on a line for too long. So we decided on the early dining. I know they try to match up, but I also know they drop the ball sometimes. I'll check with the maitre d' at 1 pm to see what the story is as suggested. I've done that before just to see where the table is and actually changed my table once. Thanks all.:)

They are generally very good about booking tables for people of similar ages. I've never had a problem and I'm the one with the young kids. :p Check out your tablemates, if any, on the first night. You can usually change tables.

they are usually quite accomodating--

sometimes it does not work out by age--on one cruise we, a maturing couple, were seated with three honeymooning couples--we stayed with them, they were all adorable but reminded us of our daughter..

you can always switch--

I actually was thinking of MTD and when I tried reserving that, it made automatic tips. I don't like that. I'm afraid we won't get as much attention if they know they already have the tips.

I have never experienced this. You may actually get better service since they know that your tips have been paid and they will not be stiffed.

I actually was thinking of MTD and when I tried reserving that, it made automatic tips. I don't like that. I'm afraid we won't get as much attention if they know they already have the tips. Then I read that there is no guarantee you will get your exact time and people have had to wait on a line. My mom can't stand on a line for too long. So we decided on the early dining. I know they try to match up, but I also know they drop the ball sometimes. I'll check with the maitre d' at 1 pm to see what the story is as suggested. I've done that before just to see where the table is and actually changed my table once. Thanks all.:)

I have never experienced this. You may actually get better service since they know that your tips have been paid and they will not be stiffed.

I 100% agree with this statement. We've done MTD twice and have wonderful service both times, better than the regular seating.

BTW, the first night seems to be the toughest for having to wait. After that most people settle into a routine and there isn't usually a wait.

If you stick with early dining, just check with the maitre'd on boarding and you should be able to get it all fixed to your liking.

Very smart idea! We were on a cruise once where it was DH, myself, a young couple and their 2 boys. Night 1 was just DH and I. Night 2 the family came and their boys spent all of dinner under the dinner, alternating between my feet and my husbands feet. The parents didn't speak any English but tolerated their boys misbehavior with a smile. Never corrected them for anything. Of course, this was before I knew we could change tables (thanks to CC)! Night 3 we went to the Windjammer. Night 4 we peeked in the DR and our waiter caught us to tell us the other family had decided to eat elsewhere. It was uncomfortable to say the least!

I think the advice has been great thus far. But I think you are too concerned about it. Please wait until the first night is experienced. Even if their are children at the table, mom might find them delightful and they may end up enhancing the dinning experience. If that is not the case and if you are uncomfortable with any of the other dinners, simply request a different table and you will be accommodated. Have a great cruise.

Whether you pre-pay tips or tip in cash at the end, you should get great service...the means of tipping have NOTHING to do with it. And, just so you know, folks who don't pre-pay tips are not "stiffing" anyone...if anything, they generally tip additional amounts, as the service warrants!

I've been at a table with two younger couples and actually keep in touch with one of them. I'm just afraid of loud and unruly children that parents won't control. Sorry. Also, I like being at the same table every night to get to know the waiters, etc. Much more enjoyable that way.

CleoPat - You are not a bad evil person for not wanting to share your dinner every night with someone elses children. I agree 100%. What is delightful and cute to some may be nail biting annoying to another.

There is no problem with service under MTD, but that is your opinion, so go with traditional and check with the MaitreD on the first afternoon. Our experience has always been we are seated with similar passengers. The only time we've had children at the table was the cruise with my neice when she was about 14 and there was a young girl about her age at our table.

that won't have any children seated at? I know that sounds terrible, but I will be travelling with my elderly mom, who needs to have early seating. Then I realized all families with young children will be dining at that time. I don't think my mom would want to be sitting at a table with a bunch of children (no offense). Would RCI know in advance if there are children at a table?

Explain the situation when you make the request. They really do try to acomadate people but it is not always possible.

They do try to match passengers, but it is not aways the way everyone may want.

The first night of one cruise there were two women in the booth next to us. They looked like mother and daughter one about 40ish and the other 20ish. The waiter brought 2 males to their booth. The mother elbowed her daughter, smiled and raised her eyebrows. About 2 minutes after they were seated it was obvious that the males were a couple.

They never did change and remained table partners for the whole cruise.

They do try to match passengers, but it is not aways the way everyone may want.

The first night of one cruise there were two women in the booth next to us. They looked like mother and daughter one about 40ish and the other 20ish. The waiter brought 2 males to their booth. The mother elbowed her daughter, smiled and raised her eyebrows. About 2 minutes after they were seated it was obvious that the males were a couple.

They never did change and remained table partners for the whole cruise.

That's funny:D

That's a good point! Most prepays end up tipping more if they get the same waitstaff a few times! Same goes for the Room Steward...Only if they are more than accomodating, i.e., little extras we request, etc.

Can't wait for 11/7 -- The beautiful Explorer-again for 12 nights...Yay!

That's a good point! Most prepays end up tipping more if they get the same waitstaff a few times! Same goes for the Room Steward...Only if they are more than accomodating, i.e., little extras we request, etc.

Can't wait for 11/7 -- The beautiful Explorer-again for 12 nights...Yay!

And some people who don't prepay tip more if they have the same waitstaff every night! I guess it goes both ways. I just have a feeling that if they feel they are getting a tip automatically, they won't serve you as nicely. I don't know. But I just didn't like the fact that they wanted me to pay upfront. I'd rather know my waiters first to decide how much I want to pay. I put my envelopes aside for the normal tip when the cruise starts and add more if I like the service at the end. The other real reason to pick time as opposed to MTD is my mom will not want to wait on a line and even if it's not that long a wait, I don't want to hear her complain:p

Archived