DO NOT bring an iron!!!!

New Hampshire

Just returned from a ten night cruise onboard the Equinox. A friend had an iron in her luggage. When her bag hadn't arrived at her cabin near sailing time, while the rest of our group had received theirs, she had her cabin attendant look into the matter. Her iron had been discovered when the bag was xrayed and was being held downstairs in security along with hundreds of other bags that had some kind of banned something in them!!! They kept the iron and it was returned to her shortly before 11 PM of the last night of the cruise.

The good news is she discovered she could survive nicely WITHOUT an iron!!

My sister packed a travel iron in her luggage on our 3/29 Equinox cruise. Same problem -- bag was pulled aside when it went through X-Ray and they had to go downstairs and claim their luggage. They sent her a notice and it was returned to her as we walked off the ship at debarkation!

Just returned from a ten night cruise onboard the Equinox. A friend had an iron in her luggage. When her bag hadn't arrived at her cabin near sailing time, while the rest of our group had received theirs, she had her cabin attendant look into the matter. Her iron had been discovered when the bag was xrayed and was being held downstairs in security along with hundreds of other bags that had some kind of banned something in them!!! They kept the iron and it was returned to her shortly before 11 PM of the last night of the cruise.

The good news is she discovered she could survive nicely WITHOUT an iron!!

Why would anyone pack one to begin with??? Some people just aren't good guests. End of story

Thank you for posting this. Although it is in the cruise contract (and brochure) under 'what not to pack', a lot of people don't bother to read it. And, alhtough some ships do have a laundry room or even an ironing room where there are an ironing board and iron available for passengers, the S-class ships do not.

Personally, I have no idea if people are smuggling or its inadvertant. I suspect that most people don't read their documents that closely, their TA's don't pass the gouge out, and few of them are on this Forum to get lectured by guys such as me telling them about the horrors of burning the ship down to the waterline!!

I thinkk most try to follow the rules....we get jaded here on CC because of our neverending back-and-forths on our favorite subjects.

Denny

It amazes me that anyone still irons regularly these days. :eek: I used to touch up my late DH's dress shirts until he retired permanently. Since then, only time I touch the iron is if I leave something in the dryer too long and need it right away. Otherwise I wet it down and put it back in the dryer for a few minutes. I can't even remember the last time I ironed anything.

On cruises I bring a wrinkle reducer spray, which works great. Life and cruises are too short to waste time ironing, lol. :)

I thought this was pretty common knowledge. Fire is very dangerous at sea, its just not worth it. I bought a travel size wrinkle release spray and it works pretty well.

I've also heard of people steaming clothes in the bathroom with a hot shower.

It amazes me that anyone still irons regularly these days. :eek: I used to touch up my late DH's dress shirts until he retired permanently. Since then, only time I touch the iron is if I leave something in the dryer too long and need it right away. Otherwise I wet it down and put it back in the dryer for a few minutes. I can't even remember the last time I ironed anything.

On cruises I bring a wrinkle reducer spray, which works great. Life and cruises are too short to waste time ironing, lol. :)

I do own an iron, it is very lonely and sad because it is never used, it cries if it is plugged in. When I told it I was going on a cruise it begged to go along but I said no it wasn't allowed so it cried some more. Maybe I should just send it to iron heaven.;)

To me, this post may as well have read: "Don't Bring Fireworks On Board"!

Aside from the fact that they are prohibited, you are on vacation, and with luggage weight restrictions being what they are, who on earth would want to waste the precious space with an IRON???

I really don't get it!

Peolpe don't check the requirements before cruising or flying. It is amazing how many people hold up the lines at airports with banned items in their carryons. And yes, I suspect there are hundreds of pieces of luggage, mostly with liquor that people still insist on trying to smuggle on board

Aside from the fact that they are prohibited, you are on vacation, and with luggage weight restrictions being what they are, who on earth would want to waste the precious space with an IRON???

I really don't get it!

Oh, I get it. It's all in what's important to a person. Not worth it to me, but to the person who wants to make room in their luggage, or who worries about having unwrinkled garments, I guess it is. ;)

You all make me laugh, but call me old fashioned, I iron my clothes every morning. I can't do the wrinkled look and so much of what I wear in FL is cotton. DH does his own ironing every evening. I'm a teacher and I told him when I went back to work I would only have one job :o As far as ironing on board we always use irons in laundry. Since this is our first Celebrity cruise we will be sending the shirts out I guess. As far as people bringing irons I think most are ignorant. Only a very small percentage frequent these boards and many know next to nothing about their cruises. I've had friends cruise who couldn't tell me the name of the ship, where their cabin was or ANYTHING about it either before or even after the cruise.

I always send my dress and tuxedo shirts out when onboard. What we worry about are special care items. We always have something that we don't want shrunk or a dark item we don't want to fade. Maybe they do special care in cold, but I doubt it. That's why we bring an iron and do some hand washing.

As far as people bringing irons I think most are ignorant. Only a very small percentage frequent these boards and many know next to nothing about their cruises. I've had friends cruise who couldn't tell me the name of the ship, where their cabin was or ANYTHING about it either before or even after the cruise.

I know people like that too. When I went on a cruise to Asia in March 09, there were people who brought just t's and shorts thinking it would be warm.. They did no research whatsoever and were horrified to find it was freezing in China.

As one of the posters above wrote - people are still turning up at airports with liquids etc

All blissfully ignorant!:rolleyes: (or should I just say stupid?:rolleyes:)

Having said that, I do wish Celebrity would plan in passenger laundry rooms, but I can understand why they don't, it's all about making money for some cruise lines.

Out of curiosity, are people trying to smuggle these irons onboard or are they just unaware of the rules?

I've actually heard people say that they were going to bring irons on board regardless of the what the cruiseline says. They must feel that the rules don't apply to them.

Archived