All Things Adventure of the Seas ¡Olé! Edition

Just read the great and very comprehensive review. Thanks very much Bobal. We are flying off to Malaga tomorrow morning and will be boarding next Saturday. I would love to try the Segway but OH is determinedly against it. Maybe he will sit in a cafe for a couple of hours while I do it :).

Hi, Corinne,

- an alternative, for your consideration:

The Airport's brand new underground local railway station has just opened this week. It's 30meters from Arrivals at Terminal 3. Get your ticket, €1.60ea., from the Automatic Machines PRIOR to boarding - or it's a fine - for the 12min. journey to 'Maria Zambrano' Malaga's Main-line Station. Trains are every 3mins. and 33mins. from the Airport. There are plenty of Taxis available here, and the fare for the 10mins. journey to the Cruise Terminal should be under €10.

Food for thought...

Bryn.

Good news that the underground is completed.

I think we paid 10 euro both to and from the train station to the port. It is quite a distance and I am sure suitcases add extra.

One problem we had with the train journey was that I had my purse stolen. Not much money was stolen thank goodness. I have no idea who took it. I had my purse when I got onto the train at the airport... and my bag was open with purse gone as the taxi driver drove away.

I still keep going over the journey wondering who it was who took it. Oh well .... be warned those of you who are going to take the train. It is cheaper than a taxi (usually).

I wish that I was going with you on AOS again.

My ship is Adventure of the Seas/Eastern Med.

Toiletries: I saw one poster's photos showing a selection of hotel sized toiletries in their bath. It was JS. Do all cabins have this? I have a Superior OV Balcony (1 catagory below the JS) Will I get these things? or should I bring a week's worth? Becuase of the int'l flight, packing space is at a huge premium and leaving shampoo, lotion, conditioner at home would be huge - even a week's worth.

Are there movies/tv programs available in the rooms? Any tv shows or just re-runs of ship entertainment and infomercials? The one cruise I took several years ago had nothing but 10 year old sitcoms, a bridge cam and adverts/sales pitches for ship's paid activites and services. (Before you tell me to get out of my cabin or that I will never be in it, please know that I do not eat in the dining room and like to relax on my own in the evening with the exception of a very special show - part of the reason I spring for the balcony)

I will be ordering room service. I understand I can get anything offered in the dining room. How do you know what is being offered each evening? Do they supply menus for the alternative restaurants like the cafe, Windjammer, etc. in the room? On the Baltic cruise we had to visit each dining area during the day for a posted menu for the evening before we made our choice.

Thanks so much. Anyone who has been on this ship for the Med route would be a great help!!

Junior Suite, 9th floor, mid ship (Adventure of The Seas, June 3rd 2010)

daliflor,

Thanks for posting the photo's of the deck 9 JS. We have one reserved for our AOS cruise in January. I have been looking at all your photo's all afternoon.

I'm glad it's been of use. Thank you for the feedback and Happy Sailing coming January 2011! : )

• 2 weeks later...

We are at our hotel in Malaga having disembarked this morning. We had a good cruise and I hope to write a review soon but just checking my diary I know I am going to be very busy when we get home tomorrow. Any specific questions, ask away.

Corinne

My ship is Adventure of the Seas/Eastern Med.

Toiletries: I saw one poster's photos showing a selection of hotel sized toiletries in their bath. It was JS. Do all cabins have this? I have a Superior OV Balcony (1 catagory below the JS) Will I get these things? or should I bring a week's worth? Becuase of the int'l flight, packing space is at a huge premium and leaving shampoo, lotion, conditioner at home would be huge - even a week's worth.

Are there movies/tv programs available in the rooms? Any tv shows or just re-runs of ship entertainment and infomercials? The one cruise I took several years ago had nothing but 10 year old sitcoms, a bridge cam and adverts/sales pitches for ship's paid activites and services. (Before you tell me to get out of my cabin or that I will never be in it, please know that I do not eat in the dining room and like to relax on my own in the evening with the exception of a very special show - part of the reason I spring for the balcony)

I will be ordering room service. I understand I can get anything offered in the dining room. How do you know what is being offered each evening? Do they supply menus for the alternative restaurants like the cafe, Windjammer, etc. in the room? On the Baltic cruise we had to visit each dining area during the day for a posted menu for the evening before we made our choice.

Thanks so much. Anyone who has been on this ship for the Med route would be a great help!!

We had a D grade balcony cabin. All that was provided was a bar of soap and something in a wall dispenser which I imagine was shampoo but we took our own.

The tv is pretty rubbish. There is a movie channel in English and a travel channel plus the rest of the things you described. There are Pay per View movies but I have no idea what they cost.

As far as I am aware you would need to check the menus outside the dining room for your choices.

Corinne

Just back home after the 26th Sep-2nd Oct cruise (same as Cinnamon)! Will write a review in the next few days, but if anyone has any specific questions before then, let me know...

VioletHill:

No toiletries except the dispenser on the wall. Not sure how you're getting to the ship, but there are plenty of shops in Malaga where you could get what you need if you don't want to bring it all with you.

TV has the channels you mentioned (excursions, previous evening shows, bridgecam) but also BBC World News, a special version of CBS, a movie channel and a couple of other ones too. There were relatively recent sitcoms on the TV (How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, etc) but we didn't watch that much. Pay per view movies were $12.95 (probably plus 18% tax) - not a huge range, but probably enough to keep you going. There was a movie shown each day in the screening room too - mostly 2010 releases like Alice in Wonderland. If you need more info, I can get it from the cruise compasses.

I think there's a TV channel with the menus on it, but the most reliably way of finding out what's in the main dining room is to look outside. I don't think I ever saw a menu outside for the Windjammer, and all the Cafe Promenade has is some cakes, cookies, etc and pizza.

Hope that helps a bit!

hi, gonna do the 5 day malaga cruise visiting toulon and corsica. have 10yr old girl with us and not wanting to spend a lot on expensive ship excursions!!! recession is on!! so wonderin if anybody has returned from that cruise how you got on in these ports yourselves and is it easy enough to get around and see some of each place yourself with just local transport and your 2 feet! many ideas /comments appreciated. we go in 3 weeks. yipeeeeee

Hi Donegal Rose,

Haven't been to Toulon so can't help you there - you may want to check the Ports of Call forums for some more info on both ports.

Corsica: I assume it's Ajaccio that you're docking in - if not, please disregard! The ship docks right in the centre of town, so no coach transfers or long walks required! There's a farmers market on every day from around 0900 until 1330 - it's located in front of the Tourist Information Office and only about 5 minutes walk from the ship. Lots of things on offer, e.g. chorizo, pork products, herbs, patisserie items, fruit and veg and some more touristy things as well. Prices seemed very reasonable for what we bought - you can take the meat products back on board with you as long as they are vacuum packed (most of the stalls can do this for you).

We took one of the tourist sightseeing buses around town - 10 euros for an adult and takes about 90 minutes. It went around the town and along to Parata to see Iles Sanguinaires. Ok information along the way, but not amazing! There was also a small tourist train doing a similar route for similar money. You can get a local bus for 1 euro each way to Parata (number 5 I think) - there's one every hour.

We spent the rest of the day wandering about the town. Ajaccio's a very nice place although rather heavy on Napoleon-related things! Hope that helps a bit :)

hi, gonna do the 5 day malaga cruise visiting toulon and corsica. have 10yr old girl with us and not wanting to spend a lot on expensive ship excursions!!! recession is on!! so wonderin if anybody has returned from that cruise how you got on in these ports yourselves and is it easy enough to get around and see some of each place yourself with just local transport and your 2 feet! many ideas /comments appreciated. we go in 3 weeks. yipeeeeee

In Toulon, you have to get a shuttle bus to the town, it drops you off at a ferry terminal. From there you can take a mini train that does a tour of the town, it stops at a few different locations, and you can get off and then catch it later. 1 of the stops is at the beach, if the weather is nice, bring your swimming gear. Its a nice sandy beach.

In Corsica, you dock in the town. I liked Corsica as its a nice place to walk around, sit back and have a coffee, and watch the world go past.

Whatever you do, Enjoy

Hi, donegal rose,

- we have just disembarked 'Adventure' this morning, and can confirm what other posters have said re: Ajaccio, Corsica. The ship is docked so close to the town, that we even went back to lunch on board, then off again into town.

A word of warning, whilst having a coffee in a bar on the promenade, my wife got 5 bites and I got 1, from a couple of small flies - the bites have just stopped itching after 3 days and repeated antihistamine cream application! We live in Spain, and these were worse than our local mozzies!

A couple of links with good info. on the 2 ports:-

http://www.eportreviews.com/Europe/France/Corsica.htm

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226994

We are back on 'Adventure' for the 5-dayer,departing 08th Nov.

Cheers for now.

thanx so much for your replies. will definitely do our own thing n the 2 links posted for toulon and ajaccio are brilliant and have so much practical advise and tips to do our own thing. wud love to do toulon and cannes but dont know if we really wud have enough time for both as cannes wud require 3hr return train journey. wud it be very rushed? wud do the tourist trains for both. the train from toulon to cannes at 38euro return each also seems a bit pricey!

decisions! decisions!

Hi Folks,

Well its only about 6weeks till we go hip hip hooray, bit of a daft question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Everyone talks about tipping for drinks / room service etc I'm more than happy to do so, but did you all tip in $ (where did you get the coins from ???? ) or did you tip in Euros ?

Have plenty of euros left from previous holidays so not problem.

If I have $ notes can these be cashed in on the ship for coins ?

Evelyn.

Good Afternoon from wet & windy Glasgow.

Only 36 days 2 go, but haven't booked hotel in MALAGA yet,:eek:

any suggestions, would love to be near the port & I assume the ship won't sell cigs or tobacco, so I guess OH will have to find a tabac & buy it b4fore he sails.

I know you can't take alcohol on board, but I guess its alright to take your own cigs / tobacco on ?

No smoking in cabins are there dedicated smoking areas on board ?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

any suggestions, would love to be near the port & I assume the ship won't sell cigs or tobacco, so I guess OH will have to find a tabac & buy it b4fore he sails.

I know you can't take alcohol on board, but I guess its alright to take your own cigs / tobacco on ?

No smoking in cabins are there dedicated smoking areas on board ?

We stayed at Room Mate Lola which we found to be medium priced and convenient to most things. It is not too far from the port but we took a taxi which was about 10 Euros. We really loved Malaga and hope you enjoy it too.

There are designated smoking areas on the ship. We used a nice tobacconist in the main pedestrian street although I think there are quite a few. There is no problem as far as I know about taking cigs on board, just alcohol.

Sabre

Have a wonderful time.

We stayed at the AC Malaga Palacio

http://en.ac-hotels.com/hotel_imagenes.cfm?id_hotel=103&cd_menu_h=2

It was right across the street from the park and two blocks from the Cathedral.

I sailed on the October 2nd trip - 7 night Med.

Stayed at the Barcelo (in the train station) pre-cruise. See my review on TripAdvisor. Super convenient and modern. Highly recommended.

My taxi driver charged me 17 Euro to the port, but I think he cheated me. I could not see the meter and when I challanged him saying the trip should have cost 10, he said that was the fare to the entry to the port, not the ship. I paid it becasue I just wanted to keep going.

Embarkation was swift and efficient. I thought the rooms were set to be ready at 2:00 so went to the library to wait. I also thought the boarding time was noon. It was 11:00. The room was ready by 1:00.

The cabin: I was pleased with the spaciousness of the room and the balcony. The chairs and table on the balcony looked like they were from the $1 store, but did the job.

The bed was comfy and there was plenty of storage space. The room attendant was just fine. I think he was disappointed that I was a solo traveller, tho. I did tip him extra, but not the same as for two. He made up the room twice a day and often seemed anxious for me to leave for dinner so he could come in. He brought in a fresh bucket of ice twice a day.

The common areas: These were very nice. The pools were well attended and they enforced the adults-only areas

The other cruisers: I read alot about the rude Spanish guests. I did see a majority of Spanish speaking people but never saw them being pushy or rude. Very few school aged children this time of year, but lots of infants and toddlers. Lots of Brits as well - mostly seniors.

Restaurants: I only went to the cafe on the promenade and the Windjammer. The cafe had really good cookies and I filled my water bottle with cupfulls from the water station. I'll post a more thorough review of the Windjammer later.

The shows: I only attended the ice show and the Beatles tribute. Both were fairly ameturish but entertaining. The skaters had some clever numbers but the skill level was not very high. I enjoyed the songs in the Beatles show but the energy level was low and the volume could have been higher. Maybe if this felt more like a real concert (louder) more people would have gotten into it. I kind of felt bad for the performers who were trying to fire up the crowd and getting little response.

I went to the shore excursion lecture, but it was merely a sales pitch so I left. I did not go to any of the parades or sail away parties/captains parties. I had seen the pix from others and was not interested.

Other activites: I did go to the Oktoberfest party. There were not many people there but the sausages and kraut and beers tasted good.

Shops: Mostly costume jewelry and t-shirts.

Alcohol policy: I brought mine on board in RumRunners packed in my bags to avoid the high prices of cocktails. No problem whatsoever. They never check water bottles when you come back from the ports, so feel free to fill them with clear liquids and walk on in. I had read about the vigilance in inspection, but did not see it at all. I refuse to spend $10/drink and $45 for a bottle of wine. I enjoyed cocktails and wine on my balcony throughout the cruise.

Internet: This is .65/minute. I had no choice but to use it a few times, but kept it under control. There are options in port, but not very convenient. I waited for over an hour for an open computer in Sardinia at a cafe and then was unable to access MSN and other websites. There is a free access point in the tourist office in Corsica (15 minute limit). Wi-Fi is nearly non-existant in any of these ports. There is a small shop in Civitevecchia just outside the area where the shuttle drops and picks up that had public phones for .10/minute to the US and internet very cheap.

More on the ports themselves later.

Archived