OK to bring a guitar?

My teen age son is really into the guitar, and he's quite good if I do say so myself! ( bragging here a little!). Anyway, is it alright for him to bring a guitar on board a ship-- not a loud electric with an amp, just an acoustic guitar. He heard there was a talent show for kids and he wants to be in it.

We're going on the Freedom May 30.

thanks....Martha

thanks...hopefully he won't be playing on the promenade with a tip jar by his case! Not really, just kidding!!! We'll encourage him to "keep it private"...only in the teen area or in the room.

When we were on the Freedom last year, a man in a kilt was out on the promenade one night playing his bagpipe. I always have wondered if he cleared that with the management, or if he just took it on himself to be part of the entertainment. Actually, he was very good!

I think its a good idea and have seen people on occasion playing guitars onboard. However, I have seen this question has come around a few other times in the past. For the most part it really hits a nerve and pisses off many people on these forums. Get ready to take a hard lesson from the cruise elite...

I think its a good idea and have seen people on occasion playing guitars onboard. However, I have seen this question has come around a few other times in the past. For the most part it really hits a nerve and pisses off many people on these forums. Get ready to take a hard lesson from the cruise elite...

LOL, I don't think it has anything to do with the cruise elite, it's just common courtesy. It's an intrusion the same way someone playing a boom box or talking loudly on a cell phone would be. There are plenty of lounges for entertainment, I don't really want to hear someone playing in one of the "quiet" areas.

With that being said, I've seen people playing up on the pool deck a couple of times, not loud and off to the side in a small group, so it wasn't an intrusion like the comment about playing in the library would be...

If a group just came over and sat near me and started playing it would have been inconsiderate. As long as your son has basic manners and doesn't assume anyone wants to hear him play, and finds an isolated space or area in the teen rooms where people do this, it shouldn't be an issue.

Well I DON'T care if anyone likes it or not, but I'll be bringing my air guitar with me on my cruise! And I dare you to say I can't or I suck at it. After I drink all my rum runners I can't be stopped so YES do ROCK ON!!!!! I think it would be great to see someone on a cruise playing a guitar. Happy Cruising

In reference to the bagpipe player on Freedom: Oasis has an "official" bagpipe player who plays on the helipad as the ship leaves port and often also plays walking through other areas of the ship. I believe it has been said that Richard Fain has a particular liking to bagpipe music.

Nothing wrong with bringing a guitar :) maybe look into one of the Martin Backpackers. They are smaller and made for traveling... I would hate to have my guitar ruined by climate changes. Nothing will split the wood faster than an extreme hot/cold place.

thanks...hopefully he won't be playing on the promenade with a tip jar by his case! Not really, just kidding!!! We'll encourage him to "keep it private"...only in the teen area or in the room.

When we were on the Freedom last year, a man in a kilt was out on the promenade one night playing his bagpipe. I always have wondered if he cleared that with the management, or if he just took it on himself to be part of the entertainment. Actually, he was very good!

I haven't been on Freedom so I have no idea how sound-proofed the rooms are. I've had several cruises on other ships. Sometimes we hear nothing from the cabins next door and other times I can hear every word of their conversations. I don't know enough about what is between the walls to know why the noise levels vary.

If your son plans to play late, early, or during "nap time" it might be a good idea to ask your neighbors if they can hear the guitar music. Otherwise, you might have security knocking on your door.

What if the people in the teen area don't want to listen to him play his guitar? Keeping it private means keeping it to himself, not forcing it on other people that may not want to listen to it. In the room, yes. In the teen area, no.

I am a guitar player so I can relate to his passion. However, I never play some place where it may bother other people. If he wants to play in other places besides his room, here are a few suggestions. During the day, many of the lounges are empty. He could play there without bothering anyone. He could even sit "on stage' and play. Some ships have a conference room. If that is not occupied, he could also play there. The theater (show theater, not movie theater) is also usually empty during the day unless the production show is rehearsing.

What if the people in the teen area don't want to listen to him play his guitar? Keeping it private means keeping it to himself, not forcing it on other people that may not want to listen to it. In the room, yes. In the teen area, no.

There are actually two teen areas up there on F class ships -- the Living Room and the Club area. It is probably a safe assumption that even if the group in one area aren't appreciative, he could move to the other and be fine. There are also usually several lounge/club areas that don't have anything scheduled in them through the day. I've seen people practicing instruments in them before.

I'd much rather hear a guitar being played than smell a cigarette being smoked....

Hear Hear......Bravo !!!

I'd rather hear a guitar than an annoying Cruise Director and his team around the pool encouraging everyone to "Go Crazy" !!!!!!

A few cruises ago there was a passenger on my ship who insisted on playing the piano for hours at a time at the back of the viking crown. I can understand that professionals or people working to that point need practice, but scales for hours per day is grating to more people than just me. I would just echo what others have said about a) finding a place that is actually semi-priavte and b) respecting other passengers.

thanks....does anybody know if there are guitars for kids to play in the teen area? This would solve the issue of bringing it on a plane, which I had not thought of as his case is a "gig bag" and not hardshell. Don't know if he can go a week without playing, he plays it 24/7!

By the way, loved the comment about meeting girls, you are so right....most girls can't resist a sensitive musician type!

thanks....does anybody know if there are guitars for kids to play in the teen area? This would solve the issue of bringing it on a plane, which I had not thought of as his case is a "gig bag" and not hardshell. Don't know if he can go a week without playing, he plays it 24/7!

By the way, loved the comment about meeting girls, you are so right....most girls can't resist a sensitive musician type!

As a guitarist myself, even if there were guitars available in the Teen Area (which I very much doubt), I would want to bring my own. It's what you get used to .

Archived