OK to bring a guitar?

thanks....does anybody know if there are guitars for kids to play in the teen area? This would solve the issue of bringing it on a plane, which I had not thought of as his case is a "gig bag" and not hardshell. Don't know if he can go a week without playing, he plays it 24/7!

By the way, loved the comment about meeting girls, you are so right....most girls can't resist a sensitive musician type!

The only guitars that I know of that are in the teen area are the ones used with guitar hero.:cool:

My son is a music major in college and really could not be away from practice time just before school began again in August. So he lugged his guitar all the way cross country from Buffalo NY to Anchorage Alaska. He hand-carried it of course, on flights, on the train, and onto the ship. No problems whatsoever. On the ship, he simply played in his room - no one ever heard him, so it was not an intrusion.:)

Seems like a large and delicate item to take on a cruise, but it's ok with me, so long as he stops when asked and brings a MOR playlist.

Having just retired after 32 years as a radio broadcaster, it's been a LONG time since I heard the term MOR (I dare say many who read it had no idea what it stood for.,or thought you meant MDR..main dining room...)

Middle Of the Road....in other words, more easy listening material; Megadeath is out....:)

Mitch

thanks....does anybody know if there are guitars for kids to play in the teen area? This would solve the issue of bringing it on a plane, which I had not thought of as his case is a "gig bag" and not hardshell. Don't know if he can go a week without playing, he plays it 24/7!

By the way, loved the comment about meeting girls, you are so right....most girls can't resist a sensitive musician type!

Great for your son, I know our daughter would want to bring one of her guitars, she has I believe 12 guitars all with their own hardshells. She would be coming with us in july if she didnt have to be at ball state the day after we get back, she is playing soccer her dream since she was a child, along with her guitars, she has been in the studio recording when she can fit it in, good thing she doesnt do the screaming kind of music, she writes all her own. Yes they do have the passenger show , atleast on the ships we have been on, you try out and if you make the cut you can perform for an audience...hope he will try that! Have fun!

I would not even think of transporting my guitar in one of those "gig bags". He will not be able to keep it in his possession the whole time he's traveling. Too many people show no respect for other's possessions. I would fear that it will get damaged. If he is going to travel with his guitar, he needs to buy a hard shell case for it. Maybe mom and dad can buy him one for a birthday or other special event?

Please be sure that RCL will allow you to bring the instrument aboard, before knocking yourself out figuring out how to transport it. This is not the first time this question has been posed on these boards. Not all cruise lines allow you to embark with a musical instrument.

One of our buds played his on our aft balcony last cruise and the entire aft listened and applauded. Some people do appreciate it. It was nothing offensive. And we were having a party. And it was around dinner before embarking Cozumel. We had no complaints whatsoever. You should just be sensitive to the time of day and loudness. Of course, nothing after 10:00, lights out. JMHO:cool:

Please be sure that RCL will allow you to bring the instrument aboard, before knocking yourself out figuring out how to transport it. This is not the first time this question has been posed on these boards. Not all cruise lines allow you to embark with a musical instrument.

RCL has no problem with guitars.

My son is a music major in college and really could not be away from practice time just before school began again in August. So he lugged his guitar all the way cross country from Buffalo NY to Anchorage Alaska. He hand-carried it of course, on flights, on the train, and onto the ship. No problems whatsoever. On the ship, he simply played in his room - no one ever heard him, so it was not an intrusion.:)

Good for him. He sounds like he is dedicated and committed to his musical education.

My teen age son is really into the guitar, and he's quite good if I do say so myself! ( bragging here a little!). Anyway, is it alright for him to bring a guitar on board a ship-- not a loud electric with an amp, just an acoustic guitar. He heard there was a talent show for kids and he wants to be in it.

We're going on the Freedom May 30.

thanks....Martha

Martha, we will be on the same sailing. We have three boys, ages 15, 13, and 12. Maybe they will meet up in the teen area. I am sure the guitar will be fine.

Just don't fly United Airlines to get to the port. The guitar will never make it.

Not sure if everyone caught that reference. Hilarious YouTube video (just google United + guitar), at least for those of us with first hand experience feeling the pain.

Anyway, I travel with guitars a lot and have a few suggestions:

Your best solution really depends on what he wants to do with the guitar. If he just wants to perform in the talent competition, then the acoustic should work just fine. But an acoustic guitar can actually be pretty loud, so it's not necessarily the best practice instrument for a trip.

If I'm worried about bothering other people around me (like in a hotel room or whatever), I'll usually take an electric guitar and a small portable amp with headphones. An electric guitar makes a lot less noise for the people around you if you have a headphone amp. Then when you do want people around you to hear (in the talent competition, for instance), you can unplug the headphones, use the amp and take advantage of the volume control.

You can get very small amps (as small as a lunchbox or even a cigarrette pack) that do great for this sort of thing. Some are battery powered so you can play anywhere. Plus the amp will let him get more effects and sounds that he can't do on an acoustic.

Anyway, a lot of people think electric guitars are noisy- but it's exactly the opposite. With a volume control and headphones, you can adapt to any situation. Plus, a cheap electric guitar is less fragile than an acoustic, which is a good thing for travel.

Regarding the case issue, I'd be MUCH more concerned about how you're going to get it on the flight than the cruise. Even with a hard case, you're taking a big risk (check out the United youtube video mentioned earlier...). Your best bet is carrying it on board, but some airlines are getting stinky about this these days (even though there is usually room overhead). If it's not a full flight, they're usually cool about it. If they don't let you carry it on, then you may have to check it at the gate & it will go on with the strollers. It doesn't get as heavily abused if you check it at the gate since they are not handled as much, but if it leaves your hands, it is a big risk. Hopefully it's not an expensive guitar.

Also, as already mentioned by another poster, the Martin backpacker,and several other travel guitars on the market are worth checking out if you think it might get used in the future.

Good luck & rock on \,,/

In reference to the bagpipe player on Freedom: Oasis has an "official" bagpipe player who plays on the helipad as the ship leaves port and often also plays walking through other areas of the ship. I believe it has been said that Richard Fain has a particular liking to bagpipe music.

I was always told that the definition of a gentleman was a person who could play the bagpipes but never did.:):):)

In addition to the previoulsy mentioned perils of traveling with a guitar I have to wonder about the sudden change in climate. Perhaps Arkansas to Western Caribbean would not be that much in late May but I would not think of taking any of mine, even the solid electric, from 5% humidity of MN in February to tropical Caribbean. Even with a humidifier there are two seasons for my guitars....sharp and flat. Now with the air getting more moist by the day every tuning they are all sharp. By October they will all head flat - but gradually. I shudder at the thought of an overnight change that drastic. :eek:

I did try a Martin Backpacker the other day and it was surprisingly nice sounding but impossible to play while sitting - requires a strap for sure. At least it could be encased and then packed in suitcase.

ya'll are giving me lots of food for thought...and laughs, too! (especially the reference to "I Gave my Love a Cherry")

Bama....since we both have teen boys on the same sailing, would be happy to give you my email address, then I will give your guys a way to contact mine. I'm sure they would think Cruise Critic hopelessly old fashioned what with Facebook, Twitter or whatever!

If you want you can contact me at rmlawyer64@yahoo.com

Thanks, Martha

PS we've been on 17 cruises, but only 3 with kids, and other than the bagpipe guy, can not remember anybody wandering around the ship with a guitar...

Archived