Are most schools back in session at the end of Aug?

I found another one that leaves in Sept., so that would help with all the kids, but it's right in the hurricane season. I don't mind having kids, just don't want to be overrun with them. I wish we could just go in May, but another person who is traveling with us can't go then. Anyone know what the chances of running into a hurricane in Sept. is? The cruise leaves from Port Canaveral.

Our kids LAST day of school is September 9! Year round school here with 4 three week breaks. Love cruising in September, kids actually hope for some rocky seas! On all of our fall cruises there have been quite a few kids onboard. Might want to consider a cruise line that caters more to adults if you truly want to get away from the kids. Celebrity comes to mind.

Here in PA...the kids go back right after Labor Day too. Last couple times we've cruised in Sept and there don't seem to be a lot of kids on the ship and the weather so far has been beautiful! Here's hoping for more good weather this September as we do the western caribbean again. :)

I agree 100%! We are doing a Sept 9th cruise to New England/Canada and hope to have nice weather and few kids... I need a relaxing vacation... lol

I found another one that leaves in Sept., so that would help with all the kids, but it's right in the hurricane season. I don't mind having kids, just don't want to be overrun with them. I wish we could just go in May, but another person who is traveling with us can't go then. Anyone know what the chances of running into a hurricane in Sept. is? The cruise leaves from Port Canaveral.

Went on FOS last September (and am going again this year on the 9/19 sailing) and there was quite a few kids. I think many home school or pull them out for the week. There was a thread here just a couple days ago with many people saying they pulled their kids out of school to cruise.

While I'm not sure, I think Florida starts their schools mid-August. We rent a condo down there every summer usually around the end of August so our college kids could quit their summer jobs but not have to be at school yet. The past few years, we noticed many fewer people. The real tip off was when the condo's reduced prices beginning the first full week of August and didn't go up over Labor Day.

As for hurricane season, I wouldn't let that deter me at all. You are talking one week out of a six month period one may come in. Odds are in your favor. Look at all the people in the NE that missed cruises last winter with all the snow--even those smart enough to schedule coming in a day or two early for the cruise. You just can't predict what Mother Nature has in store for you. Buy insurance and throw the dice (lol).

Tucker in Texas

NC schools start August 25th (unless that's a weekend day, of course!). They used to start much sooner in August, but I believe there was a law passed back in '04 saying August 25th was the earliest they could start.

Many schools in Nebr. start up about the second week of August now--but I wish it was after Labor Day, as it used to be. August is still summer!

However, my grandkids got out for the summer today, so schools here end earlier in the spring too.

Another Northeast Ohioan chiming in here.....my kids have NEVER started after labor day, and my oldest is almost 16. It used to be when we were kids we started after Labor day, but not no more. My younger kids start Aug 24th with most districts starting around that time around here, give or take a week. I haven't seen the high school schedule yet (two different school districts). Last year he started a couple days later than my younger kids.

My son's birthday is August 13 and he was always a little miffed because Mommy couldn't bring cup cakes for his birthday. I would ask the teacher when was a "slow" month for birthdays when school was in session and bring them that month.

As the years progressed, school opening started earlier and earlier because districts got "waivers" to open early. Finally, when he was a junior or senior, it opened before his birthday . He declined the cup cakes (lol).

The state house got involved a couple of years ago and decreed that school would not start before the last full week in August, period, no exceptions, don't even ask.

Tucker in Texas

Lafayette Parish School System in Lafayette, LA, will be back in session. While you think that schools this far from Galveston might not affect you, yes it will. You will be surprise just how many families from this area leaves on cruises out of Galveston.

Different towns in Maine go back on different days! Wish they would all agree ... but such is life!!! Jan

Here in Northern Maine ... We go back the 2nd week of August, but the kids get out for 3 weeks beginning the 3rd week of September for Potato Harvest.

As you can see from my signature, most of our cruises have been late August and September. We love cruising in September. We always fly down a day early just in case of thunderstorms, bad weather, lost luggage and to just relax and not be rushed to get on the ship. Knock on wood since we have a cruise planned for this September 12th, but we have always had PERFECT weather during September. Our kids are out of college but the colleges around us start mid-August and half the schools start the day after Labor Day and the other half start the week before Labor Day. Have a great cruise!

Here in Northern Maine ... We go back the 2nd week of August, but the kids get out for 3 weeks beginning the 3rd week of September for Potato Harvest.

I've always thought that was pretty cool ... but I've heard about what back breaking work that is -- seems as if everyone I know from the county always mentions how many bushels of potatoes they picked per day! :). Jan

Here in Michigan they passed a law that public schools must start after labor day (it was to help promote tourism). . . .

Ditto with WI, by law pubic school cannot begin until Labor Day or September 1st (whichever comes first).

Correct - schools in the northeast start after Labor Day, so the end of August is still prime time here.

Here in Massachusetts there are many school systems which start the last week in August and also some who wait until a day or two after Labor Day. The before Labor Day start is becoming more popular in the New England area.

Archived