Are most schools back in session at the end of Aug?

We wanted to take a cruise the first of May, 2011, but can't make it that week. Our next chance would be the one leaving Aug.21. Are most of the schools back in session by then? We don't mind a few kids, but during spring break or summer would be really crowded with kids. Our kids are grown now so I don't know what school sessions are like anymore. I love kids ( I used to teach elementary) but would rather not be overrun with them on our cruise. When do your kids usually go back? Also, is the weather pretty good at that time of year for a Western Caribbean cruise? I'm hoping we're ahead of the hurricane season.

Southern California here and we got back August 9th. If you want to avoid kids wait until after labor day, but most schools will be back in session by then. I would search for the area you are cruising out of since locals tend to fill up the ship. Going out of LA look at LA schools, going out of Miami check Miami area etc...

Arizona schools go back the 1st week of August.

Los Angeles, CA schools are split, some going back Aug. 30, others going back as late as mid-September. My kids go on Aug. 30.:D

But really, every school is different, especially since some schools are also year-round now, so they are on a track system, and can basically be out any time for several weeks. You just can't tell anymore.:eek:

My kids are grown too, but until a few years ago, most of VA went back around the third week of Aug. The waiver for starting before labor day has since "expired" so they now start after labor day. The south is usually Aug and the north is usually Sept. Where is the cruise leaving from? That could also affect how many kids are on board depending on schools in the states surrounding the cruiseport. If you're talking FL, you could have quite a few last minute before school starts back cruises too. It's why we go in Nov as often as possible.

Here in PA...the kids go back right after Labor Day too. Last couple times we've cruised in Sept and there don't seem to be a lot of kids on the ship and the weather so far has been beautiful! Here's hoping for more good weather this September as we do the western caribbean again. :)

Correct - schools in the northeast start after Labor Day, so the end of August is still prime time here.

Here in RI we begin the last week in August, before the Labor Day weekend...

We tend to cruise during the last full week in August. From what I've seen, that's when prices start dropping to the fall kids-in-school level and that's the last week we have available before our kids return to school. Around here, they start a week before Labor Day (the last Monday in August).

We're cruising on August 21 both this year and next.

Most Texas schools begin the last week of August. We often cruise during "hurricane" season and have never had a bad cruise. If the "H" is headed your way the captain takes you somewhere else. The ship is always our destination so it doesn't matter.

Labor Day is late this year, so mine go back Aug 31st. We live in Maine. I despise it when they go back before Labor Day because to us Northerners, Labor Day is the last summer hoorah! Grrrrr.:mad:

Different towns in Maine go back on different days! Wish they would all agree ... but such is life!!! Jan

Archived