Oasis Heading Back to Nassau, Missing St. Thomas

ayz75 - thanks for your balanced input, I can see how it must be very frustrating and disappointing. But, cruise ships never guarantee that they will make any specific port; all sorts of things can and do happen. Whilst I can see the attraction of an island wedding (and I feel very sorry for your friends), I wouldn't use a cruise ship to get there.

I also think the compensation is more than generous - on many of my cruises we have missed ports with no compensation at all.

I am sorry that your friend is missing her dream wedding, I really am. :( However, it always amazes me when I see that couples have planned a destination wedding by way of cruise ship. A destination wedding can always encounter complications (bad weather, flight cancellations, delays, etc.) but to get to that destination by cruiseship -on the day of the wedding - is taking a really big chance. A port stop is not guaranteed.

Now, I would also be disappointed if I booked a cruise to stop in St. Thomas. DH and I spent our honeymoon there and have since been back several times by way of ship. The next to last time was for our 30th anniversary. :) We would have been really disappointed had we missed the stop for that. ;)

Obviously, when passengers and crew decide to commit suicide, they don't think of the impact it will cause on vacationers.:(

Best wishes to your friend and I hope the rest of your cruise goes well!

How awful to hear of this. My brother had someone in his HS class fall overboard on another RCI ship. His family met the ship at Grand Caymen to talk to the crew, the coast guard, and officials from Grand Caymen (it occurred fairly close to there) and stayed on the island as the search continued...unfortunately, he was never found and they had to hold a memorial service without his body being properly buried/cremated/etc. I believe they went and filed a lawsuit (I could be wrong, but this is what I have heard) and went to various places dealing with cruise ship safety. What I NEVER understood was...the cruises I've been on, those bars are fairly high. How does one actually "fall" overboard? I'm not exactly sure what happened with the young man my brother knew...but it just seems to me you would literally have to climb up the bars for this to occur. Then again, I could be wrong.

I noticed on this thread people are saying he jumped over? Is this official or being assumed?

I can't speak for the situation on Oasis, but I was on the Explorer a few weeks ago when another RCCL crew member went overboard. According to the Captain, the video reviewed clearly showed the crew member climbing over the railing on the fifth deck and letting go. My guess is that a similar situation presented itself on Oasis.

I agree he had no compassion in his post... I misread... sorry :(

That's OK. I have misread many statements before only because at the time I was reading something I was reading it with the feelings I had at that moment. I have been told several times that a poster was actually trying to be funny and I was too serious and needed to get a life.

When I wrote that statement towards your post I actually meant it to be read in a calm, matter-of-fact voice.

I wish that when we write things we had a way of letting people know that we are writing something in a calm matter-of-fact tone or are really writing it with an angry mental voice. But atlas I don't think that is possible.

That's OK. I have misread many statements before only because at the time I was reading something I was reading it with the feelings I had at that moment. I have been told several times that a poster was actually trying to be funny and I was too serious and needed to get a life.

When I wrote that statement towards your post I actually meant it to be read in a calm, matter-of-fact voice.

I wish that when we write things we had a way of letting people know that we are writing something in a calm matter-of-fact tone or are really writing it with an angry mental voice. But atlas I don't think that is possible.

Oh, Yeah?:mad:;):D

Obviously, when passengers and crew decide to commit suicide, they don't think of the impact it will cause on vacationers.:(

Thing is, the crew know all too well what happens if someone goes overboard. That's what I'm having trouble with. Yes, it's sad that someone died, but lets remember he TOOK his own life knowing full well what impact that would have not only on his loved ones, but on the vacationers cruise plans. It's tragic when someone feels so compelled to take their own life, but it's also a very selfish move - I'd hate to be the surviving family members having to deal with a suicide of my loved one. I'd feel very different if someone had a medical emergency and died, but I have to be honest, suicide doesn't really make me sad, it makes me mad how someone could deliberately put their family through that.

I wasn't going to post here....but the previous post.... if someone is driven to suicide it's not an alternative to having breakfast.... it's the end of the line.... it's misery and helplessness. Of course they don't think of the implications. It's those implications that led them to where they are.

/rant over

I wasn't going to post here....but the previous post.... if someone is driven to suicide it's not an alternative to having breakfast.... it's the end of the line.... it's misery and helplessness. Of course they don't think of the implications. It's those implications that led them to where they are.

/rant over

It is not always misery and helplessness. Sometimes it is a spontaneous, not well thought out reation, to an acute issue. There is a whole spectrum that that suicide can fall along. It is not always feelings of chronic helplessness.

It is not always misery and helplessness. Sometimes it is a spontaneous, not well thought out reation, to an acute issue. There is a whole spectrum that that suicide can fall along. It is not always feelings of chronic helplessness.

Good point. Well made.

I was very impressed by your post about your friend's wedding. It was well written and the message was balanced. When I began reading this thread my opinion was "I wouldn't be upset if I missed St.Thomas becaue we no longer get off the ship there." Your post gave me a better perspective.

Please return with a post after the ceremony in St.Martin and let us know how your friend's wedding went. Hopefully it will be a wonderful affair.

Our condolences go out to the family and friends of the crew member.

G&G

Originally Posted by CruisinManiac

Obviously, when passengers and crew decide to commit suicide, they don't think of the impact it will cause on vacationers.

Thing is, the crew know all too well what happens if someone goes overboard. That's what I'm having trouble with. Yes, it's sad that someone died, but lets remember he TOOK his own life knowing full well what impact that would have not only on his loved ones, but on the vacationers cruise plans. It's tragic when someone feels so compelled to take their own life, but it's also a very selfish move - I'd hate to be the surviving family members having to deal with a suicide of my loved one. I'd feel very different if someone had a medical emergency and died, but I have to be honest, suicide doesn't really make me sad, it makes me mad how someone could deliberately put their family through that.

Exactly why I said obviously the crew member didn't think about others. In a situation like suicide, they only think of how they feel at the time and not what implications the suicide will have on others. And it is sad, NJnewbie! :(

It's sad for the crew and for those who loved him, and yes, it's sad that someone felt like there was no other way. I just have personal feelings when it comes to suicide and I won't apologize for that. I want to be clear that I don't expect that everyone feel like I do on the topic...I understand others' opinions... I was just speaking on my own feelings on it...that's all

I have been told several times that a poster was actually trying to be funny and I was too serious and needed to get a life.

You're not a real cc'er until someone tells you to get a life. It means they are reading your posts, at least.

Exactly why I said obviously the crew member didn't think about others. In a situation like suicide, they only think of how they feel at the time and not what implications the suicide will have on others. And it is sad, NJnewbie! :(

I agree with this. While I would be upset in this situation, it is truly a sad event and we all need to have compassion for the individual who took their own life. Things must have been pretty bad in their view to have to go to this length. Nobody else can imagine their situation and to say they know the impact it will have on others is being very shortsighted IMO.

You're not a real cc'er until someone tells you to get a life. It means they are reading your posts, at least.

Believe me I love it when someone tells me that. It reminds me that I need to "chill out." And you are right, at least I know someone is reading my posts. :p

How awful to hear of this. My brother had someone in his HS class fall overboard on another RCI ship. His family met the ship at Grand Caymen to talk to the crew, the coast guard, and officials from Grand Caymen (it occurred fairly close to there) and stayed on the island as the search continued...unfortunately, he was never found and they had to hold a memorial service without his body being properly buried/cremated/etc. I believe they went and filed a lawsuit (I could be wrong, but this is what I have heard) and went to various places dealing with cruise ship safety. What I NEVER understood was...the cruises I've been on, those bars are fairly high. How does one actually "fall" overboard? I'm not exactly sure what happened with the young man my brother knew...but it just seems to me you would literally have to climb up the bars for this to occur. Then again, I could be wrong.

I noticed on this thread people are saying he jumped over? Is this official or being assumed?

I may have posted this already, but we were on Oasis last week, and actually remarked about how LOW the railings were in some parts. We were sitting in the chairs on the running track and if you stood up, the railing went up to about our waists. We're not that tall. I don't think it would take all that much effort to climb over if you were intent on doing it.

I hope the folks getting married were able to enjoy their time in St. Martin. I can't imagine planning such a big event that needs to rely on everything going perfectly--I always get anxious when I read of people doing this. I'm way to anal!

You, sir, are an IDIOT!

Whats wrong with being pissed because your ship misses port? They paid alot of money to go on that cruise. Most people would be mad, they just don't want to say it here.

Whats wrong with being pissed because your ship misses port? They paid alot of money to go on that cruise. Most people would be mad, they just don't want to say it here.

I think there's a difference between being "pissed" that you missed a port because of weather or something and being upset or disappointed about a slight inconvenience that you are facing after someone died. Of course I'd be disappointed that I missed a port, and I'm sure most people would be. But to say you'd be "pissed" and start a rebellion after someone died? I think that's the issue. You can always go back to St. Thomas. This guy's family will never see him again. You think you're "pissed"? Get some perspective.

I apologize for cutting off the earlier post. I was using the in cabin keyboard and it was not working properly. It froze up on me.

It is a sad situation and I believe that most understood the situation. The crew has worked hard to try and make sure that everyone had plenty to do today. So far it has been a great cruise and I love being back on the Oasis. We are staying in St. Maarten until 7:00 tomorrow to give us a few extra hours. More when I return on Saturday. I also hate that one person had to try and turn this thread south.

Gordon I look forward to your review as always.............

A quick update - the wedding did happen and we are happy with the outcome! The last-minute ceremony was at the Divi little bay and it was a beautiful day (very hot though) and I am just glad that my friend had her beach wedding, even though she did end up spending more money, but she was lucky that we were all with her onboard and the wedding coordinator in St. Martin did a good job. I was told that the other couple's families were ALL meeting them in St. Thomas, so I don't know what they did. Hopefully they came up with some kind of plan.

We also got a credit from Chops Grill, we still paid more than $25/person but I was happy my friend got some credit back (well, after many "talk" and discussions - some not so pleasant) but in the end everyone was happy.

I do agree that planning a wedding in a port assuming your cruise will stop is a bad idea, but we are not experienced cruisers, I think the bride has cruised once or twice years ago and her experiences (both with RCI) had been great, I think that's why she assumed it would be ok. Obviously her TA either encouraged her, or did not advise against doing this, because the TA wanted her to book the cruise I guess. But it is a lesson learned (though it might be too late, ha!) and hopefully if you are reading this AND thinking about doing a cruise wedding at port, please think twice! But anyway, at least now we get to enjoy the at-sea days rather than stressing over the planning and the wedding!

You're a clown. Stop just trying to stir people up.

Archived