What is to replace Explorer in NJ?

When we were on "Explorer" last November we were told "Explorer" has till 2011 in NJ and it will be sent somewhere else and will be replaced by another ship but they didn't know what. Any rumors or anyone know what will replace "Explorer"? I hope its a "Freedom" class ship but those ships can't make it under the Varanzano bridge right? Thanks JC

Huh that is what crew members told us. The concierge guy told us she has till 2011 but maybe he said 2012. I love the "Explorer" too but would love a Freedom class ship up here. Even if "Explorer" stays I think RCL would be wise to add another mega ship in NJ.

Huh that is what crew members told us. The concierge guy told us she has till 2011 but maybe he said 2012. I love the "Explorer" too but would love a Freedom class ship up here. Even if "Explorer" stays I think RCL would be wise to add another mega ship in NJ.

To be honest there is ver little difference between Voyager and Freedom Classes anyway.

Having only previously sailed Freedom class (Liberty) when we boarded Explorer there was no WOW factor for us as it was almost identical apart from a flowrider and no Chops Grille.

RCCL will keep a mega ship up in NY as long as it keeps making money. So far Explorer has been a huge success - almost every voyage sold out.

I for one have pretty much given up on flying so I gladly pay the $1000 premium to leave from my own backyard.

You can see how quickly RCCL shut down operations on the west coast. How long was Mariner there? 2 years tops?? If the boats don't leave full they are gone.

RCCL will keep a mega ship up in NY as long as it keeps making money. So far Explorer has been a huge success - almost every voyage sold out.

I for one have pretty much given up on flying so I gladly pay the $1000 premium to leave from my own backyard.

You can see how quickly RCCL shut down operations on the west coast. How long was Mariner there? 2 years tops?? If the boats don't leave full they are gone.

Interesting and I agree I DO NOT fly so leaving from here is just about my only option unless I want to take Amtrak to Florida. So they had a ship on the West Coast and it failed? Are there no cruises from the West Coast? JC

Interesting and I agree I DO NOT fly so leaving from here is just about my only option unless I want to take Amtrak to Florida. So they had a ship on the West Coast and it failed? Are there no cruises from the West Coast? JC

There will still be Alaska cruises just no Mexican Riviera cruises.

For my $1000 I would gladly fly first class to Florida and get my choice of ships/itineraries.

For my $1000 I would gladly fly first class to Florida and get my choice of ships/itineraries.

Last February - cost me $1800 to fly from NY to Ft. Laurderdale. Cheapest possible flight booked 6 months in advance.

Was treated in like an animal.

Now this was February break (I'm a teacher and have no other time off)

So until I retire - June of 2041 there will be no more flying for me!

Last February - cost me $1800 to fly from NY to Ft. Laurderdale. Cheapest possible flight booked 6 months in advance.

WHAT ?!!!!!

I flew Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy London to Newark and back again for $900 2 weeks ago !

This past January DW and I flew to San Juan from Newark Liberty for $256 p/p roundtrip plus taxes and baggage fees on Continental. We purchased tickets thru online discounter in June.

The same ticket went for $660 in the month before our trip.

Leaving from San Juan and cruising in the Southern Caribbean was a great investment.

Isn't there a way to find a larger cheaper airport to fly into in Florida (Orlando?) and then rent a car to drive to a cruise port?

When we were on "Explorer" last November we were told "Explorer" has till 2011 in NJ and it will be sent somewhere else and will be replaced by another ship but they didn't know what. Any rumors or anyone know what will replace "Explorer"? I hope its a "Freedom" class ship but those ships can't make it under the Varanzano bridge right? Thanks JC

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I thought I read somewhere that Enchantment of the Seas was now sailing out of Cape Liberty in New Jersey. I could be wrong.

You should have flown from Philadelphia or Atlantic City when going to Ft. Lauderdale, never pay more then $250 per person.

Jimbo:)

Something wrong here. Six months out, LGA to FLL non-stop on Delta will cost about $200-$300 R/T

From what I was told Explorer will be in NJ until 2014. The current plan is for Freedom to come after that.

That sounds far more likely than any rumors that it is only there until next year. Besides, I think Freedom is committed to Port Canaveral until around that time anyway. Somehow, I believe that your information comes from a more reliable source than a couple of bartenders on the Explorer.:D

That sounds far more likely than any rumors that it is only there until next year. Besides, I think Freedom is committed to Port Canaveral until around that time anyway. Somehow, I believe that your information comes from a more reliable source than a couple of bartenders on the Explorer.:D

I wouldn't post it if I didn't consider it reliable.

I was on the Explorer in February and the captain was asked about plans to bring a new ship into Cape Liberty. He said that the port was currently not deep enough to handle the draught of the Freedom class ships.

Of course, if kewlguy is right, by 2014 and maybe the port could be dredged to accomodate a Freedom class vessel.

I was on the Explorer in February and the captain was asked about plans to bring a new ship into Cape Liberty. He said that the port was currently not deep enough to handle the draught of the Freedom class ships.

Of course, if kewlguy is right, by 2014 and maybe the port could be dredged to accomodate a Freedom class vessel.

I asked the current Captain of Explorer that exact question and he said what the previous Captain (Captain Ryan) said about Cape Liberty needing to be dredged incorrect. We sailed on Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty in May of 2007 on one of the pre inaugurals so I'm leaning towards believing the current Captain.

From what I was told Explorer will be in NJ until 2014. The current plan is for Freedom to come after that.

Ditto....(we got the same info since we were on the same cruise!)

And Freedom class ships are the same height as Voyager class...they are just longer...(that's what Captain Ryan said in February)

Archived