Are Kids Allowed in Specialty Restaurants?

I think after 6.30pm, children are supposed to be 13 or older to dine in Chops or Portofino.

You can book for children under 13 before 6.30 (it may be 7pm, not sure), but you have to wait until you're on board to do so. Online bookings were only taking "adult" bookings when I looked.

Hope that helps. :)

Our daughter is now 9 and has regularly eaten with us or joined us after / later on in the meal when she has been treated like royalty by the staff.

In fairness she is very well behaved and regularly eats in rather posh restaurants in the UK. My take on things is that the rule is there to help staff when they need to placate other diners.

H. :)

Just curious how old the "kids" are that the OP was asking about. I felt it was sort of a vague query. [altho answered quite well]

My 'kids' are almost 22 and almost 18, they have been enjoying Portofino for years now. If they were 5 and 8 I would probably go without them and make it a romantic dinner. On the otherhand at those ages both my kids would have enjoyed going and felt like they missed out if we went without them. They also would have behaved appropriately and have palates that would appreciate Portofino.

Just curious how old the "kids" are that the OP was asking about. I felt it was sort of a vague query. [altho answered quite well]

My 'kids' are almost 22 and almost 18, they have been enjoying Portofino for years now. If they were 5 and 8 I would probably go without them and make it a romantic dinner. On the otherhand at those ages both my kids would have enjoyed going and felt like they missed out if we went without them. They also would have behaved appropriately and have palates that would appreciate Portofino.

They will be 13 and 11 at the time of the cruise. It's good to hear that if we go before 6:30 or 7:00 that they could join us if they want. I will try to reserve for the 2 of us and add them when on the cruise. Thanks for all the replies.

We booked 4 -- 2 moms and 2 12 year old boys at 645 on FOS. They really enjoyed Porto. We asked the staff if we could dine later with them another time and they were more than satisfied with booking us at 730 for the next one. The rule on our sailing was not enforced. The staff does a superb job using judgement.

Of course they allow children in the specialty dining venues - any source of revenue is acceptable and allowed. The only policies that RCI enforces are those that are financially beneficial for them to enforce - ie the bringing your own alcohol on board, etc. ;) I don't think good judgement has anything at all to do with it.....

We booked 4 -- 2 moms and 2 12 year old boys at 645 on FOS. They really enjoyed Porto. We asked the staff if we could dine later with them another time and they were more than satisfied with booking us at 730 for the next one. The rule on our sailing was not enforced. The staff does a superb job using judgement.

I think that was because (1) they saw how well-behaved your boys were and (2) 12 is a world of difference from, say, 3 or 4.

Of course they allow children in the specialty dining venues - any source of revenue is acceptable and allowed. The only policies that RCI enforces are those that are financially beneficial for them to enforce - ie the bringing your own alcohol on board, etc. ;) I don't think good judgement has anything at all to do with it.....

thumbs-up.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So if I want to book for my 8 year old and me, it sounds like I should book online for 1 person and then add her when I get on board. Do you think that is the best way to go?

I would really like to try both specialty restaurants and am afraid if I wait until I get onboard to book both of us at that time, there won't be any available tables. Should I be concerned about this?

From the Website:

Q: Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

A: Chops Grille and Portofino

All guests 13 and over are welcome and may be booked on-line. Children under 13 years may book only before 7 p.m. but must be booked onboard; based on availability and total party size. After 7 p.m. children under the age of 13 are not allowed. All guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

When we sailed on the Liberty in 2007, we had dinner with some onboard friends. We had a 17 and a 13 yr old and the friends had a 15 and a 10 year old. We ate after 7pm because it was all that was available. We had no problems and were treated great. As a matter of fact, the younger child about halfway thru dinner said he was going to go because he was done and bored. :) So he left and we stayed for close to another hour. (our meal was fabulous!)

So long as you have a child that can use their manners and sit thru a dinner and enjoy it, I really don't think RC cares. We had zero problems and it was later than 7pm. I don't think we left until around 9.

Couldn't agree more. After all - they little minnows have access to 95% of the ship - why should adults have the solitude of the other 5% a couple of hours a day?

And I realize, everyone's child on here is perfect.

From the Website:

Q: Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

A: Chops Grille and Portofino

All guests 13 and over are welcome and may be booked on-line. Children under 13 years may book only before 7 p.m. but must be booked onboard; based on availability and total party size. After 7 p.m. children under the age of 13 are not allowed. All guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

On one cruise- think it was Navigator - a couple wheeled their pram in to Portofino around 9pm for dinner :eek:. They sat and ordered, and then the pram started screaming so they left - I assume their food was delivered as room service. On the table next to us there were 2 well behaved Italian children of around 8 yrs old. I felt like I was in a creche.........

On our recent Ex cruise there were a good amount of kids of various ages in Portofino. They were all well-behaved. One time a 3ish girl acted up and her father took her right out for a bit. She was fine after that.

Archived