10:30am flight out of MIA

Depends how close the airport & cruiseport are.

If close & you carry your own luggage off, you will probably not have a problem.

We had a 10:30 out of Fort Lauderdale earlier this year & made it with time to spare.

Too many risks.

Some folks will tell you they did it, but you never know when problems might arise. Anything from fog in the harbor to an immigration back up can happen and you would miss your flight.

I try book flights around noon or after to play it safe.

We're always at the airport before 9am....it's a 20 min. ride. Just tell them on the ship (about mid-week...they'll tell you when) that you have an early flight. You'll be in one of the 1st groups off the ship. We've never done the "self-carry off" thing with luggage, either.

In April we had a 10:15am flight and I was worried too. Our RCCL Rep told us to be sure and take our luggage with us and be with the first group off. So on the last night do NOT leave your luggage out, we were up and leaving our room at 6am went to deck 4 stood in line with maybe 20 others and was off the ship and at the airport by 8am, actually it was closer to 7:30!! They have cabs waiting for you at the port, we were in a Van cab and was taken straight to the airport.

I am usually sitting in my office in Coral Gables by 8:00 a.m. on the morning we get off the ship. We carry-off our luggage, get the car from the parking lot and I can clock into work before 8:00, no one knowing I was away for the weekend.

You are going against traffic in the morning and since the airport is less than 10 miles away you should be fine.

As you can tell from the posts so far, it is no problem if there are no delays (or only minor delays). Be advised however that it is not all that uncommon for a ship to arrive late and/or for customs to be delayed in clearing the ship for debarkation once it arrives. There is some risk with a flight at 10:30am. Most of the time you will make it, but certainly not always. I have gambled with such early flights in the past, but do not intend to do so in the future. I'd rather book an early afternoon flight and have ample time for delays. Others are willing to take the small (but real) risk of missing their flight and having to deal with the consequences.

Keep in mind that travel insurance policies generally only provide coverage if you are delayed by six or more hours (sometimes longer) and that if you miss your flight, the airline is not required to put you on standby on a later flight - they can make you pay purchase new tickets. Weigh the risks and rewards, then decide. Nobody can tell you if you will make a 10:30am flight or not as it depends on whether or not the ship experiences delays arriving in port and/or with clearing customs.

great, we're somewhat under the gun since DS has to be back at school by 5pm....in Pa. We like living on the edge:p

Not to put a damper on your travels, but, You are REALLY praying everything works on schedule...customs, ship clearing customs, docking on time, etc.

I wish you good luck :-)

We missed our flight from ft lauderdale (I know - not the same) and with 3 ships in dock that day - there were no more flights to catch. Booked solid. Not sure what else will be happening in MIA that day, but if you miss, you could be missing BIG!

It can depend on the delays.

Our friends almost missed their flight. They had an 11:15 flight. It took us over 2 hours to go through customs in Miami, there was only 4 custom agents working :eek:, which is not the cruise lines fault. Once we got to airport it took over an hour to get through security. The six of them just made it. Now they stay one night and catch a flight out the next day.

I know this is not the norm, but personally I think the custom agents had the blue flu that day. It was scary for them, we were okay we had a later flight.

Archived