Show us Your Aft!

Explorer of the Seas Cabin # 7688.........don't forget your hammock !

P1040531_zpsa82bde62.jpg

I have 7388 on Navigator next winter for a week and will have an opportunity to get a hammock in Cozumel prior to that. What do I need to hang a hammock on the balcony?

Here are some pics from our recent spring break cruise on the Brilliance - cabin 1104. The cabin itself wasn't remarkable, but the balcony was huge! There was plenty of space to have wine & cheese with friends for sail away each evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1067634358_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1367804491.418678.jpg.607e3048f1d811757c1e01446e8fc38c.jpg

1450373940_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1367804528.430605.jpg.c74157ed8226f55fd6d4aeea95decaec.jpg

1507799387_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1367804585.399730.jpg.54b25788c962571dc7ed8b3a63c27655.jpg

1943772132_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1367804651.287276.jpg.41a4b6380000e3da919f368e0aef2049.jpg

Cabin 7688 have you been on it recently? I heard they are getting rid of the lounge chairs. Do you know if they are still their? Have that cabin for July! Excited!

We had 2 loungers on our Explorer cruise which was 10/28/12. Didn't get to use them much, as we left Bayonne, and went straight into hurricane Sandy. It was cold and bumpy on our way back from Bermuda too!

Here are a few pictures of our balcony on 7688, with some VERY BAD WEATHER!

1876327426_Explorercruise038.jpg.61f6b87382b5fc2e48aac96f95a8e715.jpg

1787416284_Explorercruise037.jpg.a426851830ccabd0a0cc9565ebd20bb1.jpg

67197684_Explorercruise050.jpg.e46f2c8c74f00715a0494354ffe46199.jpg

961554251_Explorercruise219.jpg.d46bd9e898cd610aee7088fa5c991ff2.jpg

We had 2 loungers on our Explorer cruise which was 10/28/12. Didn't get to use them much, as we left Bayonne, and went straight into hurricane Sandy. It was cold and bumpy on our way back from Bermuda too!

Here are a few pictures of our balcony on 7688, with some VERY BAD WEATHER!

Thanks for the pictures. Oh my hurricane sandy, I was praying for all of you. I live in central NJ next to Union Beach & Keansburg so I know how bad it was. I felt RCL made a bad choice leaving. So glad you all made it thru. Hope you get to go with that cabin at a nicer time to enjoy it. Thanks for your help.

I have 7388 on Navigator next winter for a week and will have an opportunity to get a hammock in Cozumel prior to that. What do I need to hang a hammock on the balcony?

These are the only 2 items you need to buy. No tools or knives are needed.

Hammock: http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultralight-Pocket-Size-Hammock-Bliss-Brand/productinfo/HA-E-ULTRA/

Byer Micro Rope : http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42501 only one set is needed because there are 2 ropes in it.

First off I extended it from the back corner to the above girder straight out from the balcony door .So if you wanted to stand out by that large port hole window and look out it would not interfere with you, plus you could look straight out to the ocean and get a good view from even inside the cabin.

Attaching the Byer Micro Rope to the corner, take metal thing and run it through the hole in the corner and then through the end of the Mocro Rope's loop, then wrap it around and around until you get the desired height for the hammock.

Other Byer Micro Rope is attached the same as above through the hole in the girder and then through the loop on the end of the rope and then arround and around on the girder.

My wife and I hardly every used the 2 loungers, so we stacked them on their side between the pole and the next cabin's divider and gave us tons of room on the balcony.

We also took the coffee table out of the cabin and put it on the balcony the entire cruise to give us more room in the cabin.

The hammock has ropes on both ends, so it just loops that metal thing on the ropes., So the hammock is very easy to put up and down during the cruise. Once I wrapped the ropes around girder and corner though I never did take the Byer Micro Ropes down, I left them up the entire cruise, I just hid the metal thing around the back of the girder so it wasn't hanging down and the metal thing in the corner I put up on the shelf like ledge in that corner.

Each night I would bring the hammock in. I also took it down if we were having the cabin made up by the room steward. Mostly we only had the cabin done once a day while we were at dinner. I still can't understand after all our cruises why we need the cabin made up 2 times a day.

044.jpg

045.jpg

043.jpg

P1040534_zpsff1d8bcf.jpg

P1040532_zps98faa7de.jpg

P1040531_zpsa82bde62.jpg

I wonder if the Jewel has all I need to hang a hammock. That sounds fantastic!

We were just discussing htis in another thread- I don't think radiance class ships have as much supra structure and one side of each aft balcony has a glass panel that really would not be safe to use. I stayed in aft balconies on 8, and posted a few photos of our cabins and you can see what I mean in my Jewel review. Its possible you could use the ladder like structure on the wall of the middle cabins, but there wasn't anything on the other side to attach it too.

I also searched for a few photos of the corner aft on Jewel and posted them on that other thread. In my memory and looking at the photos, I think it would be cahllenging to find a location for hammocks.

I'm pleased to hear that people who use them remove them when they are not using them; anything like this is a hazard, if left unattended.

Thanks for the info Jimbo! Looks awesome, although I'm not sure I'm McGyver enough to do it right

It's very easy, just wrap the Byer Micro Ropes in those 2 openings and wrap it round and round, no knots needed. It will just tighten itself up by itself by wrapping it.

Then the hammock ropes just fit over those metal pieces on the Byer Ropes, your weight will hold the hammock on with no problem.

The hammock is very very strong, it's made out of parachute material.

025.jpg

Edited by Jimbo

We have an aft JS on Freedom next month. Will we get any sun? I am worried with the ship structure interfering.

We were in a JS on Freedom back in 2008. I kind of liked the view with the super structure. Added another bit of character to it.

p1586988292-5.jpg

p1586984836-5.jpg

Unobstructed has it's merits as well.

p1586989216-5.jpg

Later this year we are in 9392 on Explorer of the Seas. Does anyone have any to share from either 9392 or 9692?

Thanks,

Rich

We were in a JS on Freedom back in 2008. I kind of liked the view with the super structure. Added another bit of character to it.

p1586988292-5.jpg

p1586984836-5.jpg

Unobstructed has it's merits as well.

p1586989216-5.jpg

Later this year we are in 9392 on Explorer of the Seas. Does anyone have any to share from either 9392 or 9692?

Thanks,

Rich

It just makes no sense to me that they didn't make just huge suites with huge balconies back there on these classes of ship and just extend it to the end of the superstructure?? I am booked in 9404 on the independence and we are very excited for our first aft :D

Great photos By the way! Thanks!

Edited by VancouverKory

We were just on FOS in 7708. We absolutely LOVED our balcony. The rest of my family certainly had aft envy :). I'll try to post a few pics...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I loved getting room service coffee in the morning and just sitting out there watching the sunrise. We had a nice little breeze but it was never too windy even though at times it was like a hurricane on deck LOL. I also liked that it was covered, we were able to be out on deck the very few times it rained. Didn't notice any soot at all. We were part of a group of thirteen and everyone was on our balcony for a sailaway party with plenty of room. We grabbed some champagne from the bar and some snacks from Sorrento's and the Cafe Promenade. Best room we ever had!!!

Edited by bdink921

We were just on FOS in 7708. We absolutely LOVED our balcony. The rest of my family certainly had aft envy :). I'll try to post a few pics...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I loved getting room service coffee in the morning and just sitting out there watching the sunrise. We had a nice little breeze but it was never too windy even though at times it was like a hurricane on deck LOL. I also liked that it was covered, we were able to be out on deck the very few times it rained. Didn't notice any soot at all. We were part of a group of thirteen and everyone was on our balcony for a sailaway party with plenty of room. We grabbed some champagne from the bar and some snacks from Sorrento's and the Cafe Promenade. Best room we ever had!!!

Thankyou so much for posting your pics...our 1st cruise on FOS isn't until next April, booked early to get 7708...so excited to see what an aft balcony will be like...this will be our 2nd cruise and can't wait...

• 1 month later...