For those of you in Aqua Class who did not like Blu can you tell me why?

stipmom

There have been many posts about how special Blu is. I'm wondering if you didn't like Blu what were the reasons why.

I've been in Blu and liked it very much, I'll be in it next week. Those who don't like Blu often are those who are "meat and potatoes" customers who don't like a lot of sauces, etc. I actually am one of those but enjoyed it because although I like my simple steaks, I will try other things....The comments above are form my personal observations of past posts on the board...

First, we are not just M&P eaters.

The steaks were tough and stringy

The lobster was too tough to cut and we could not get just melted butter, the chef refused even after getting the maitre d involved.

Breakfast eggs were not the greatest, food was served in an odd order

Could not get corned beef hash with our eggs,were told they don't serve it there.

The deserts and ice cream were dull

Soup was good

This is our opinion, maybe they were having a bad week.

Next cruise on the Solstice we ate in the MDR and the food was excellant.Do love this ship.

Hi. I think there is too much discussion on this board about the food. It definitely made me anxious before our cruise (August 8th). The food was great everywhere on the ship: Blu, MDR, Ocean Cafe, AquaSpa Cafe, etc. Trust me - all I saw were people eating and eating everywhere!

The reason why you hear some complaints is that there is a little bit of a "hit or miss" factor sometimes. Sometimes you get a appetizer that is ok not amazing. If you don't love something - order something else. They are super accommodating, especially in BLU. All of my main dishes there were restaurant quality. The salads were great too. The only complaint I had were the deserts were kind of weird. Two nights I sent our waiter searching out a piece of plain chocolate cake from somewhere on the ship. But - they happily accommodated that request.

And there is nothing wrong with Blu breakfast. It is exactly what you would expect it to be: fruit, smoothies, granola, eggs, french toast, pancakes, etc.

Personally, I liked Ocean Cafe buffet because it was faster, but my DH loved the leisurely, luxurious feel of breakfast at Blu.

First, we are not just M&P eaters.

The steaks were tough and stringy

The lobster was too tough to cut and we could not get just melted butter, the chef refused even after getting the maitre d involved.

Breakfast eggs were not the greatest, food was served in an odd order

Could not get corned beef hash with our eggs,were told they don't serve it there.

The deserts and ice cream were dull

Soup was good

This is our opinion, maybe they were having a bad week.

Next cruise on the Solstice we ate in the MDR and the food was excellant.Do love this ship.

The Chef and Maitre d' refused to give you melted butter for your lobster?

The Chef and Maitre d' refused to give you melted butter for your lobster?
Absolutely, they use a mixture of oiland butter, which is gross.I asked the waiter for just melted butter,he brought the mixture, I asked for the maitre,D and explained what i wanted, he consulted(or said he did) with the chef and when he returned he said "that is what the chef uses for melted butter nothing else". :mad::eek: I was not a happy camper.

Absolutely, they use a mixture of oiland butter, which is gross.I asked the waiter for just melted butter,he brought the mixture, I asked for the maitre,D and explained what i wanted, he consulted(or said he did) with the chef and when he returned he said "that is what the chef uses for melted butter nothing else". :mad::eek: I was not a happy camper.

That's so odd. It seems like a simple request to melt some plain butter for you. Maybe the Chef was having a bad day? :confused:

Hi. I think there is too much discussion on this board about the food. It definitely made me anxious before our cruise (August 8th). The food was great everywhere on the ship: Blu, MDR, Ocean Cafe, AquaSpa Cafe, etc. Trust me - all I saw were people eating and eating everywhere!

The reason why you hear some complaints is that there is a little bit of a "hit or miss" factor sometimes. Sometimes you get a appetizer that is ok not amazing. If you don't love something - order something else. They are super accommodating, especially in BLU. All of my main dishes there were restaurant quality. The salads were great too. The only complaint I had were the deserts were kind of weird. Two nights I sent our waiter searching out a piece of plain chocolate cake from somewhere on the ship. But - they happily accommodated that request.

And there is nothing wrong with Blu breakfast. It is exactly what you would expect it to be: fruit, smoothies, granola, eggs, french toast, pancakes, etc.

Personally, I liked Ocean Cafe buffet because it was faster, but my DH loved the leisurely, luxurious feel of breakfast at Blu.

It definitely sounds like Celebrity's Blu dining is HIT or MISS if you were able to send your waiter searching for a piece of chocolate cake from somewhere on the ship and the other poster couldn't even get plain melted butter for his lobster.

What's up with that? :confused:

It definitely sounds like Celebrity's Blu dining is HIT or MISS if you were able to send your waiter searching for a piece of chocolate cake from somewhere on the ship and the other poster couldn't even get plain melted butter for his lobster.

What's up with that? :confused:

Not that I'm excusing the refusal to serve melted butter but it's not actually melted butter you get with lobster it's clarified butter. Clarified butter does take longer to do; straight melted butter will thicken very quickly. Lesson over for the day :D.

Been in Blu for 6 cruises ranging from 5 to 14 days. Two cruises were on Solstice, 4 on Equinox. Five of the cruises were perfect in terms of service and quality of food. On one cruise had a very weak Asst. Waiter for 2 nights, avoided him at all costs. He tried to be funny, but came across as immature. Brought a glass of ice tea to the table with a piece of paper straw cover floating in it and completely ignored the situation. Had to ask another waiter to get another glass. I discovered that the Asst. Waiter was in the first few weeks of his first X contract. Two of the dinners were not up to par when compared to the same dinner selection on other cruises. The point I would like to make is that a conclusion based on one experience is not reliable. If my only experience was that one Asst. Waiter and two meals on one cruise I would probably be negative about Blu. However, based on a larger sampling of Blu food and service, I've become a fan and look forward to trying Blu on my December 4th cruise on Eclipse.

I would like to note that this Tread has been going for awhile and since those with complaints tend to be highly vocal, the relatively few, but legitimate, problems speak volumes.

Not that I'm excusing the refusal to serve melted butter but it's not actually melted butter you get with lobster it's clarified butter. Clarified butter does take longer to do; straight melted butter will thicken very quickly. Lesson over for the day :D.
I didn't request clarified butter, just plain melted butter instead of the oil mixture.

Need to hear more about BLU and it's positives and if there are negatives beyond not getting melted butter.......

...but the way, you may think you are getting 'just' melted butter, but in any situation where your 'melted' butter isn't brown and coagulating very quickly, that is 'clarified' butter. So when you wanted melted butter for your lobster, the Chef wasn't having a bad day, the Chef was providing you with what you should serve with lobster and pretty much anything else with liquid butter to dip or pour over your entree, which is really clarified butter. If you just use regular butter, put in the pan and heat it up to liquid form, it turns brown and when taken off, it starts to coaguate. That is the milk solids that are removed in clarified butter which then stays nice and clear, yellow and doesn't have chunks in it.

I think the only place you'll get 'just melted butter' is if you do it at home....since you seem to insist on it.

Denny

I didn't request clarified butter, just plain melted butter instead of the oil mixture.

I've not heard of an oil mixture. Here is a photo of clarifed butter as an aid for others to understand what it is and what it looks like. It can *look* like butter and oil, but it is unsalted butter with the milk solids removed. I love butter and the junk in it but I can see where some would not. I am sure many have seen this and though it was some sort of fake butter.

20.jpg

I've had lobster a zillion times on land and sea and have never been served anything but clarified butter. ;)

Is that bigger than a quadrillion?

I have had lobster "many" times at home and we always just melt some butter. It does not turn brown and does not harden very quickly.

One suggestion to teajak - you could have just spread some of the butter from the table on your lobster tail. It the tail was warm, it would have melted quickly. However, I do agree that the chef should have given you what you wanted.

I've had lobster a zillion times on land and sea and have never been served anything but clarified butter. ;)
I love lobster and have enjoyed it for years with either melted butter or clarified butter, either one is fine with me. The last 2 or3 years restaraunts in Florida have started serving butter mixed with oil, it is orange color and tastes terrible, most will serve you just melted butter if you request it, only two said no it was the mixture or nothing and I am not about to spread cold butter on a lobster tail. Lately the ships have been serving this mixture. I have never had a problem before but the Maitre D said the chef said no and I quote"it is his kitchen".. Maybe he was having a bad night or week, who knows.I love the Solstice and we are very happy with the MDR where I don't have a problem. The chef in Blu can keep his kitchen and serve anything pleases him or her.:rolleyes:

This makes more sense now. At home you can melt a small bit and bring it right to your table to enjoy but in the restaurant it would probably harden too quickly. I learn something new every day. :D

I agree the butter issue isn't reason enough to not try Blu.

Thanks all,

Francie

This makes more sense now. At home you can melt a small bit and bring it right to your table to enjoy but in the restaurant it would probably harden too quickly. I learn something new every day. :D

I agree the butter issue isn't reason enough to not try Blu.

Thanks all,

Francie

Not at all, try it, there is a lot more than my issue with it. I really was just trying to explain some of the reasons we had a problem as the OP requested.It certainly did not spoil our cruise. We will be back on the Solstice next week, just as excited as the first time.:D

Not at all, try it, there is a lot more than my issue with it. I really was just trying to explain some of the reasons we had a problem as the OP requested.It certainly did not spoil our cruise. We will be back on the Solstice next week, just as excited as the first time.:D

That's GREAT to hear. I'm so excited to sail on her in October. Hubby and I are really looking forward to a peaceful relaxing week.

I was interested in the titile to this thread-- but reading it has now allayed any fears-- we will be trying Blu in Jan in Equinox-- we were able to upgrade when prices went down to same as CC...

How is the noise level in Blu & were there many children or large groups?

How is the noise level in Blu & were there many children or large groups?

Low noise, and no children or large groups, during our January sailing. Since all the AQ cabins have a two person limit that really drives the conditions in Blu.

Archived